Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

Of course we're going to "adjust" because complaining about it isn't going to change Sega's decision about the matter, thus the act of being upset will be more energy than it's worth and things will quiet down. However, things quieting down doesn't mean people cannot and will not hold preferences, and in general (not directed towards you), I do dislike when others dismiss people's issues with anything as them "needing time to adjust" because it's a condescending response to a legitimate reaction.

I know this isn't directed at me specifically, but I don't say "we'll adjust" to be dismissive and that we need to get used to it. If you've read any posts I've made in the Sonic Boom thread, you know I've been very skeptical about the possible directions this show can take just as much as anybody else. Thankfully, as just been revealed, "Boom" isn't the series' new status quo, but it's still open for criticism as anything else.

I gotta say, I'm kinda digging the teaser. The writing seems pretty good, even though it's mostly Sonic just cracking jokes. Kinda gives me a Nick TMNT vibe (which isn't a bad thing). It's actually funny, and not obnoxious "we're gonna beat you over the head with a frying pan until you laugh" a la Graff and Pontac. But I gotta say though, why are so few capable of animating Sonic's run properly? It just doesn't look right in this. Compared to the games and everything else, it just seems so... off and awkward to me. I'll give this a chance for a couple episodes, since it does give me a "Sonic" vibe at least. If the writing's actually good... maybe we can look forward to that rubbing off on the main series games a little (in terms of quality, mind).

EDIT: Also, barring the character designs, I really dig the environments, particularly from the concept art SEGA showed off on their blog. As pessimistic as I was concerning all this, mostly thanks to all this talk of reboots (I just went through one, I'll be damned if I have to put up with another in the same blasted franchise), I'm feeling a little more optimistic and want to see what happens with Sonic in the future as long as "Sonic Boom" remains its own entity under the umbrella of the "Sonic" franchise. Best of both worlds and all that. I can also breathe a sigh of relief that the main thing keeping me a fan (the Archie comics) can continue without being affected by any more large sweeping changes. I will be interested in seeing a "Sonic Boom" comic to run alongside the main books if this all works out.

Edited by Zaysho

Is this in the same continiuity as the original games?

Alternate continuity akin to Riders. You can relax.

What I don't get is why Sonic was so worried about Tails. The boy can fly, after all!

I dunno, I'd be worried if I just saw the air plane my friend was in crash and explode..

• Thumbs Up 1

Ewwwwww, Sonic has little dingle berry quills. I can't believe there are people on this forum who are ok with this.

Believe it, 'cause I'm one of those people. There's nothing wrong with people liking things you don't, after all.

• Thumbs Up 3

in terms of Badniks, while I do hope to see some Genesis-style badniks in the future games, I love the looks of these badniks.  They're very stylish and interesting.  At least, in my opinion, and I wouldn't mind seeing them in the games.

• Thumbs Up 6

Because he didn't see Tails take off.  And I mean, airplane seatbelts aren't exactly made to keep you loosely in there, so it's a very legitimate fear that he could have had a hard time getting out.

I was thinking the same thing. Plus, in a life-or-death situation, you're not exactly going to be calm, and panicking could make it harder to undo the seatbelt.

Of course he's probably fine, but it's completely logical of Sonic to be worried. XP

• Thumbs Up 3

Keeping the "modern" stuff as a seprate arm of the franchise going ticks me off a bit. Why couldn't they do the same with the "classic" line? Most people weren't too happy to have the more modern design in Sonic 4, regardless of what the game turned out like. And Generations made waves with the inclusion of "classic" Sonic and its levels returning. Yet they will make a seprate arm for this...or in turn a seprate arm for "modern" when Boom is getting the big push. Kinda sad.

Point being if they can market two arms of Sonic why not do three and include "classic" or why didn't they choose to do two before when the classic line was getting a lot of attention with Sonic 4 and Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually pretty pleased about this now that I've found out that this'll be it's own thing (As you can probably tell by my new avi). The game looks pretty fun, and the trailer for the show looked like it'd be a good, quality cartoon. Count me in!

Well, Tails and Amy looks great. Knuckles and Eggman are going to take a long time to get used to. I swear though, Sonic with blue arms always used to be a big pet peeve of mine and they look so weird. I can forgive everything else, but I really hope they eventually decide to fix the arms. His color balance is all off.
Sonic's run was very stiffly animated in that trailer, but LORD, I love how expressive he is!

I'm glad this is just an alternate continuity though. I'm on board with that. Maybe if Boom takes off, they'll have a crisis crossover between the two canons.

I actually enjoyed the trailer for the show, loved the banter between Sonic and Eggman. It looks very promising.

But I'm still not into Sonic's Boom design. If wasn't for the blue arms I could probably dig it. I Still hate Knuckles, Tails looks virtually the same only with added accessories , and I actually like Eggman's design a lot. Amy actually has the best design here though, its definitely my favorite.

I'm fine with the designs so long as they remain in this spin off, and don't spread over to the main series canon.

I see lots of steroid jokes in regards to Knuckles but it looks more like he was inflated with a balloon pump or something

I was actually hoping this would replace Modern Sonic. I'm liking the looks of this TONS more than anything we've had recently. XD

But alas, such is not so. That's okay though, cause I'm still 100% on board with Sonic Boom. If it continues to get more games, I may just stick with that side of the franchise and ignore Modern Sonic altogether from now on.

It'd be nice that if it does well enough in comparison, it does in up replacing it after all. ¦D

Why cater to one and replace the other if you can keep both?

This is pretty much my opinion on the matter.  I want to think of this in the lines of Mega Man and Mega Man X.  Two pretty different entities that coexist alongside, but do not interfere as far as I know, with the other.

This. Lost World got it right, these robots look generic as hell.

Meh, I've always found the badniks to look pretty boring and unimaginative myself. I like these other robots more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or it could just continue as its own separate thing without pissing off the other side of the community that continues to like the original verse?

Why cater to one and replace the other if you can keep both? That's just greedy nonsense if you ask me.

Maybe the modern fanbase will just slowly rot away and die.

Or it could just continue as its own separate thing without pissing off the other side of the community that continues to like the original verse?

Why cater to one and replace the other if you can keep both? That's just greedy nonsense if you ask me.

Because the old one has to die and go away eventually. Can't keep things around forever, ya know.

This is pretty much my opinion on the matter.  I want to think of this in the lines of Mega Man and Mega Man X.  Two pretty different entities that coexist alongside, but do not interfere as far as I know, with the other.

I don't think the Megaman franchises fit that line. They seem to build upon the former instead of coexisting and not interfering due to them being connected (albiet not too strongly).

Maybe the modern fanbase will just slowly rot away and die.

The classic fanbase would like to have a word with you. tongue.png

Because the old one has to die and go away eventually. Can't keep things around forever, ya know.

Actually, no it doesn't have to die and go away. The old one can stay as long as it likes, as long as the people behind it can keep it running, while still standing beside it's younger brother.

Like I said, we can keep both without having the other side feel like they're told "fuck you, got mine" like a bunch of spiteful, greedy children. It's a thing called compromise - you can like what you like so long as you don't kill off what I like.

Wow, my head is spinning. Just way too much going on right now...I'll give my thoughts on everything later when things settle down. After seeing everything so far my first thought is hoping that these guys show up:

VwrqRrW.jpg?1

If someone else mentioned this already, please excuse me, but I'm not going to go through 1000+ posts to find out. Seriously I hope Orbot and Cubot are part of of the cast in both the game and the cartoon. They are too awesome not to be in Sonic Boom in some capacity. 

• Thumbs Up 7

So what happens when Boom dies? Do you leave the fanbase?