Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

I'm still really confused what part of this game doesn't look like a Sonic game based on the minute of footage we've actually seen.

Sonic? Check. Rings? Check. Vibrant, somewhat cartoony environments? Check. Sonic's friends? Check. Speed?

Check.

What part of this doesn't seem like a Sonic game?

Maybe if they added springs, rails and an assload of dash pads then it'll feel more Sonic-y.

• Thumbs Up 3

Now why you'd expect a full-on "Sonic game" from a game clearly not even in the same canon, let alone the main Sonic Team Sonic series is beyond me.

I'm sure it's not beyond you. Because you know, a game can be from outside/inside the same canon and people won't/will expect it to be something it's not.

If I had a dollar for every-time I've heard someone say a Sonic game isn't a Sonic game or was (a rip-off of or) more so an "insert franchise name" game, I'd be able to buy SEGA! It's become as over-used, bloated, and mis-used as the "Mary-Sue" title.

Yeah and if I had a pound for every time I saw someone say 'Oh wow a Sonic game that looks different and new' only to then complain about it not being a Sonic game or lack what makes a Sonic game the moment it's released I'd buy Sega and thanks to the strength of the pound right now I'd have change left over to install a chocolate fountain shaped like a giant chaos emerald.

Even if you thought SLoW was too much like a Mario game, it's still more of a Sonic game than Boom looks to be.

So does that mean it'll probably get above and beyond the 70s on Metacritic, not get rushed for an anniversary/holiday/specific date, have a hearty and well-executed story, etc, unlike the past few "actual/real Sonic" games then? =P

I'm sure it's not beyond you. Because you know, a game can be from outside/inside the same canon and people won't/will expect it to be something it's not.

Wait, so you're referring to fans who still don't seem to get that this is a completely different branching franchise and thus, isn't held to or restrained by the same standards as the Japanese Sonic franchise?

EDIT: "they're willing to cover the core aspects of the game" first thing they did is shove the speed away

If/when a Nintendo Direct comes up, shows more game footage, and debunks that notion, I'll get back to you on that.

I'm still really confused what part of this game doesn't look like a Sonic game based on the minute of footage we've actually seen.

Sonic? Check. Rings? Check. Vibrant, somewhat cartoony environments? Check. Sonic's friends? Check. Speed?

Check.

What part of this doesn't seem like a Sonic game?

Sonic and rings, yeah. Environments? No. These could be anything. As evidenced by showing up in that video from a year ago, and no one even considering it was a Sonic game. Friends, sure. Speed, maybe? I mean, there is some, but a lot of games have some speed. I'm not seeing any reason to think it treats speed the way Sonic games usually treat speed.

Also, y'know...everything else, also doesn't feel like a Sonic game? Not the level design, not the enemies, not the focus on combat...

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah and if I had a pound for every time I saw someone say 'Oh wow a Sonic game that looks different and new' only to then complain about it not being a Sonic game or lack what makes a Sonic game the moment it's released I'd buy Sega and thanks to the strength of the pound right now I'd have change left over to install a chocolate fountain shaped like a giant chaos emerald.

Tell me about it!

Wait, so you're referring to fans who still don't seem to get that this is a completely different branching franchise and thus, isn't held to or restrained by the same standards as the Japanese Sonic franchise?

It doesn't matter if you say 'it's a branching franchise' or not, the fact remains that people will expect a Sonic game with all the elements that make it up.

It's like when Command and Conquer Generals came out, that game faced a lot of criticism by fans and reviewers for several choices it made, one that comes to mind is the limited resources, another was the 'rock paper scissors' gameplay format which people hated.

But wait, generals was it's own spinoff universe and had nothing to do with Red Alert or Tiberium? 

Didn't matter, it had the C&C name to it, people expected it to be at it's core like the previous titles. But it wasn't. Even though EA made it clear throughout the development it was it's own universe and entity.

I bet the same thing is going to happen with this.

We'll be told constantly that 'it's its own separate thing' then when the game comes out a large number of people will complain that it's not like *insert previous main Sonic title here.*

There's something that I keep thinking about which nobody seems to have picked up on. We've been told that Sonic will HAVE to use his whip to attack certain enemies in order to remove shields or stun them. Well... correct me if I'm wrong, but how is that different from enemies which have health bars that require multiple hits? 

Even if enemies start appearing in the Sonic stages, ones like that are going to stop the pace of those stages, which was one of the big complaints from heroes if my memory is working tonight.

• Thumbs Up 2

It doesn't matter if you say 'it's a branching franchise' or not, the fact remains that people will expect a Sonic game with all the elements that make it up.

It's like when Command and Conquer Generals came out, that game faced a lot of criticism by fans and reviewers for several choices it made, one that comes to mind is the limited resources, another was the 'rock paper scissors' gameplay format which people hated.

But wait, generals was it's own spinoff universe and had nothing to do with Red Alert or Tiberium? 

Didn't matter, it had the C&C name to it, people expected it to be at it's core like the previous titles. But it wasn't. Even though EA made it clear throughout the development it was it's own universe and entity.

We'll be told constantly that 'it's its own separate thing' then when the game comes out a large number of people will complain that it's not like *insert previous main Sonic title here.*

Except this is a different franchise of its own volition. SO it's technically not even a spin-off but a mainsteam game that's not tied down by ALL the standards of whatever the hell makes a Sonic Team Sonic game (which changes like the seasons with all these gaming eras anyway) these days.

Sure that's still not stopping some fans from raging, but fact is fact.

But it's something I just can't jive with. It bothers me to an extreme extent because while it features all of these things and competent developers, it just doesn't look like it's shaping up to be like Sonic in any way. And that's not bad for it as a spin-off, but bad in the sense that I thought people wouldn't be so willing to give up what made Sonic Sonic just to have these other things, and then say it'd be alright if we just kept having it this way because of that.

Eh so...just to clarify....what makes Sonic Sonic for you Azo?

The way you speak makes it sound like you have the franchise all figured out and can speak for everyone in terms what makes a Sonic game a Sonic game. Quite frankly Sonic like any other franchise should be totally allowed to change shape and be flexible. To be honest I see nothing wrong with Boom at all (except the in-game char designs *shudder*). This entire thing reminds me greatly of the Wind Waker reaction when it was first introduce. People were pretty much like (Yo wtf issss this shit...THIS ISN'T MY ZELDA THAT I HAVE COME TO KNOW AND LOVE! WHY NINTENDO WHY!!!)

To me (emphasis on to meSonic only needs to have 3 base figures to be a Sonic title... Platforming (Duh), some exploration, and a element of speed. All these things needs to be mixed together in some format in order to deliver a unique experience.

Art style, story, music, character designs, and things of this nature is the coating that put on top of your groundwork and that coating can be radically different from each other as long as the base elements are there. I don't care if Sonic had an art style based on Killer7 and had a soundtrack created by Kanye West (Okay a little extreme, but you get my point :U) as long as the execution of the game is fantastic!

This franchise has had plenty...plenty of ideas that will probably never be realized, because while Sonic Team have been doing slightly better lately, that's only because they are giving us the barebones of a formula...they don't have the capacity to make an extensive and expansive world and remain consistent on it. Sonic doesn't need its Japanese roots to be a Sonic game at all...and if another developer can create a much more rich universe while delivering the basics of what a sonic GAME should be, I am totally fine with them replacing the main team. Sonic is not even terribly popular in Japan anyway...he always had faaarr more popularity in western countries and if a total focus gets shifted in that direction I'm fine really.

There were tons of people when Sonic came to Sonic Adventures who spoke the same kind of things that your saying Azo. Sonic isn't about more complex storytelling, about treasure hunting, or playing mechs, being based in a realistic city setting, stopping water gods and monsters of the week, playing as pink hedgehogs that are slow as snails compared to Sonic, darker storytelling, even more realistic landscapes...the list can go on and on in the differences between the classics and the adventures.

Even so sonic still trucked on with people adapting and while the overall execution and quality of the series from adventure to now is largely questionable considering the roller coasters that we have gone through as a fanbase if ANYTHING that enough proof to show people that Sonic has the capacity to succeed and change focus man. If this WIIU title, this show, this new universe that we are getting becomes successful not just because it has Sonic in it but because its an overall better universe than Sega Sonic then tough luck Sonic Team...They  have had too many chances to be honest...

But I degrees, hopefully this give sonic Team a reason to be competitive again and maybe we will have the game that we have all been waiting for in 2015, but you know what? I'm getting fucking tired of saying that same shit EVERY damn year. Big Red Button do your thing and I hope you are largely successful...if Sonic Team have to be snuffed out...so be it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Its not a different franchise. It's a sub series that is exclusively to the western branch of Sega.

"Sub series", "sub franchise", it's still a franchise separate from the main franchise.

then I don't know what else to say to you. I'm exasperated on the subject of having to try to tell you. lol

It's this. It's flipping this.

Geezus, this argument is going in circles and people are more than willing to completely dodge what I say. I write massive walls of text trying to explain myself and make people know what I'm getting at, but they'd rather turn it around as if everything I'm saying is unreasonable and I'm just some whiny elitist snob or some shit!

I'm tired of being a part of Boom discussion already this early in. I want to enjoy the game for what it is: from a spin-off series, a brawler-adventure game thing that ties in with the toy line and (more importantly) the tv show. It's dramatically different from anything the series has given us before, and I swear I don't wanna hear about "how different" Sonic has been before because it's stuck mostly to the exact things I described in those topics. And I also really don't wanna hear about how it's apparently good enough to replace something that has had a legacy of 20+ years just because everyone decided in a couple of days that their favorite thing was the shittiest franchise ever.

Azoo out. Geebus.

• Thumbs Up 9

There's something that I keep thinking about which nobody seems to have picked up on. We've been told that Sonic will HAVE to use his whip to attack certain enemies in order to remove shields or stun them. Well... correct me if I'm wrong, but how is that different from enemies which have health bars that require multiple hits? 

Even if enemies start appearing in the Sonic stages, ones like that are going to stop the pace of those stages, which was one of the big complaints from heroes if my memory is working tonight.

I think that if Sega pushes to people that " from the team behind Crash Bandicoot/Jak and Daxter/Uncharted/Ratchet and Clank" or something like that to the public, then people would be understanding of the changes of the core mechanics. This game may not be a main line entry and will no doubt be critsed for that (along with stupid reasons....I could already see reviewer paning the game over the idea that "its a stupid cash in" or "the designs look stupid" and the like), but BRB knows that. Keep in mind we only saw only a miniute of gameplay and from the teams past work, they have some idea on how to make fast gameplay (the liniar stages in the Crash trilogy, the hoverboard stuff from the Jak series, the motobike races from the Ratchet series, ect) and some Sonic elements are still in place (the characters core abilities are in full force, tons of rings to collect, ect).

As for your comment on the combat, in Jak/Ratchet games had enimes that took multiple hits to kill (notable in the Ratchet series where some foes take alot of shots to kill) but there were many ways to attack them. It looks like this game will have that too, with each character having two main attacks (Sonic has kick attacks along with the Whip move you mentioned, Amy has combos with her Hammer, Kunckles can punch and dig underground, Tails has ranged attacks), so combat wont be so repetative :).

• Thumbs Up 1

It's this. It's flipping this.

I've read both of those, and neither give your argument that much weight or clear definition. STILL that doesn't seem really un-applicable to Boom from what little we've seen either.

I've read both of those, and neither give your argument that much weight or clear definition. STILL that doesn't seem really un-applicable to Boom from what little we've seen either.

I think you might have to read them again because it so clearly does.

I thought Lost World was bad with people ignoring criticism but this is ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think you might have to read them again because it so clearly does.

I thought Lost World was bad with people ignoring criticism but this is ridiculous.

I've read them again and again, but no dice. Sorry, but I'm just not buying into it.

Except this is a different franchise of its own volition. SO it's technically not even a spin-off but a mainsteam game that's not tied down by ALL the standards of whatever the hell makes a Sonic Team Sonic game (which changes like the seasons with all these gaming eras anyway) these days.

Sure that's still not stopping some fans from raging, but fact is fact.
Nothing is technically tied down by the standards of anything. If they genuinely wanted the next main Sonic game to involve him turning into a purple elephant and dueling satan in a trading card game with deadly results, they could. But they don't, because the fans have certain expectations, and betraying them risks reducing the commercial success of the game. These are fuzzy restrictions, because every fan has different expectations and different amounts of flexibility in them, but they are functional restrictions nonetheless.

Spinoff, "different franchise", or whatever you want to call it, Boom is invoking the Sonic series' identity. There are benefits to this, because of the existing recognition of the series, but there are risks as well, because of existing expectations. And you can't separate the two. You can't say "hey everyone come look at this new Sonic game we're making!" and then immediately turn around and say "well actually this is entirely its own thing and isn't beholden to anything but itself". You cannot expect the goodwill of existing fans, while simultaneously taking away the things about the series that they care about.

Your expectations may be loose enough to allow for this game. In which case, good for you. But it doesn't fit into everyone's. And you cannot justifiably act as if Boom exists in a vacuum.

• Thumbs Up 6

ku-xlarge.png

Kotaku decided to do a whole article of them.

http://kotaku.com/the-internet-reacts-to-the-new-sonic-1517800840

I had one of those (it sucked).  I assumed back then that they were stretch armstrong spin offs but nowadays I realize I don't actually know if that was true.  

It ain't just the legs.

Sonic's nose is too small for the air he'll be breathing at supersonic speeds (imagine trying to drink water from a high pressure hose and that's how it would feel to breath at those speeds). Nevermind how small his lungs must be in his torso, unless they were that powerful. Which equally makes no sense when he can somehow breathe in space but he drowns in water, how the fuck does that work?

His eyes would get too much dust in them whenever he runs, and the impact of larger object should blind him when the hit his eyes..Either he needs a visor or goggles covering his eyes, or he should be scratching and rubbing the dust out of his eyes and screaming in pain. His head is ball shape, and while it's more aerodynamic than a box, you'd think we could go for a pointy arrow shaped head like supersonic jets for something capable of running at Mach 1.

Then there's a matter of all that excess heat he'll be radiating around his entire body. Where the hell does THAT go while he's moving? Because he's probably in the triple digits of HOT AS HELL everytime he runs. And how does he do it without cooking himself alive? Better yet, where the hell does he get the energy to even move that fast and for so long? Because chili dogs aren't enough energy for that kind of speed and endurance. Power rings? Well now you have to explain how that works since everything else needs to make sense.

You guys see how boringly pedantic it is when you try to apply real world logic to everything? It sucks out the fun in just enjoying the damn series. Sonic is not hard sci-fi or realistic, it has it's own world and it's own set of logic it follows, which are not always analogous or exactly the same as what goes on in the real world. We have these character falling from space and sticking the landing, breathing in space, taking damage that would kill a normal person, and monstrous fighting death machines that are a fair fight even for eight year old boys and six year old girls with chao.

If you're doing it to poke fun at things for a laugh, well alright then. nothing wrong with that. Otherwise, people need stop criticizing and treating every small little detail in it like it should be in real life. We have suspension of disbelief for a goddamned reason - there are somethings we know don't make sense but is following the rules of the setting or just all around minor to give a rats ass about, and then there are things that break the narrative's or the whole series' own logic and make us call foul. The subjects in question that's being called out falls under the former.

Team CSS forum police.  

Then you're kinda putting words in his mouth...

Ok but seriously now, those goggles and headset earcups, there's suspension of disbelief and then there's nonsense, things that have no reason to happen.  Tails is established to have the ability to fly with his tails.  I could bring up how poor the profile of his tails are for generating lift (so bad it would be easier to write it as a drag to lift ratio), but I don't because that's an established break from reality.  They're anthropomorphic because that is a clear break from reality.  What isn't a clear break from reality is Tails hearing through headphone no where near his ears.  This is not a clear break from reality.  If they're not on his ears, do they even need to be on his person?  These are very preventable problems, of course.  They could have gone with triangular ear cups, or just fudged it a bit and had the cups cover his ears anyway.  The clearer problem are his goggles.  They could have easily just drawn larger goggles at the design phase. I say drawn, because no one would ever model little dingleberry quills like that if they were going straight to the mesh.

I'm not a character designer but even with my limited experience these designs are rife with what I can only call mistakes.  For example, someone who I am going to assume has more expertise than I, pointed out that Tails's face is at the same level as Knuckles's crotch. 

Basically it seems that through this entire process, no one knew what they were doing and are just focusing on chasing trends.  Skrillex, designs straight from the dregs of deviantart (actually seen a lot of stuff there that would be an improvement), and that game looks rotten.  

Oh wait...

february_daily_draw___7_by_benhickling-d

hahahahaha

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing is technically tied down by the standards of anything. If they genuinely wanted the next main Sonic game to involve him turning into a purple elephant and dueling satan in a trading card game with deadly results, they could. But they don't, because the fans have certain expectations, and betraying them risks reducing the commercial success of the game. These are fuzzy restrictions, because every fan has different expectations and different amounts of flexibility in them, but they are functional restrictions nonetheless.

Spinoff, "different franchise", or whatever you want to call it, Boom is invoking the Sonic series' identity. There are benefits to this, because of the existing recognition of the series, but there are risks as well, because of existing expectations. And you can't separate the two. You can't say "hey everyone come look at this new Sonic game we're making!" and then immediately turn around and say "well actually this is entirely its own thing and isn't beholden to anything but itself". You cannot expect the goodwill of existing fans, while simultaneously taking away the things about the series that they care about.

Your expectations may be loose enough to allow for this game. In which case, good for you. But it doesn't fit into everyone's. And you cannot justifiably act as if Boom exists in a vacuum.

It's more so the fact that Sonic Boom is it's own thing, I'll let it do what it wants because from the looks of things, several of my long-denied wishes are FINALLY being granted, and I'm still not seeing a logical reason to be so uptight and defensive about something that won't even be affecting the main canon.

Besides, the sentiment that it's not a Sonic game because of how it looks from 5 seconds, seems quite ridiculous assuming those same people were perfectly fine with the massive change in gameplay(s) appearance and scenery going from the classics to the Adventure era.

I wonder if there were fans yelling that Sonic Adventure wasn't a "REAL Sonic"game because it didn't adhere to some obscure Sonic code of theirs back in 1998 as well?

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok but seriously now, those goggles and headset earcups, there's suspension of disbelief and then there's nonsense, things that have no reason to happen.  Tails is established to have the ability to fly with his tails.  I could bring up how poor the profile of his tails are for generating lift (so bad it would be easier to write it as a drag to lift ratio), but I don't because that's an established break from reality.  They're anthropomorphic because that is a clear break from reality.  What isn't a clear break from reality is Tails hearing through headphone no where near his ears.  This is not a clear break from reality.  If they're not on his ears, do they even need to be on his person?  These are very preventable problems, of course.  They could have gone with triangular ear cups, or just fudged it a bit and had the cups cover his ears anyway.  The clearer problem are his goggles.  They could have easily just drawn larger goggles at the design phase. I say drawn, because no one would ever model little dingleberry quills like that if they were going straight to the mesh.

I'm not a character designer but even with my limited experience these designs are rife with what I can only call mistakes.  For example, someone who I am going to assume has more expertise than I, pointed out that Tails's face is at the same level as Knuckles's crotch. 

Basically it seems that through this entire process, no one knew what they were doing and are just focusing on chasing trends.  Skrillex, designs straight from the dregs of deviantart (actually seen a lot of stuff there that would be an improvement), and that game looks rotten.  

Oh wait...

hahahahaha

501px-Tails_Pose_37.png

sem_t_iacute_tulo_by_darkspeeds-d75eolp.

Acting like these guys were the first to "screw up" with a questionable design choice seems a bit unfair. Looks to me like ST also didn't seem to know what they were doing.

It's more so the fact that Sonic Boom is it's own thing,

Except it's not its own thing. Not entirely. If it was its own thing, Sonic wouldn't be in it.

I'll let it do what it wants because from the looks of things, several of my long-denied wishes are FINALLY being granted,

And like I said, if it fits your expectations, that's great for you. But that doesn't mean everyone else's expectations are invalid.

and I'm still not seeing a logical reason to be so uptight and defensive about something that won't even be affecting the main canon.

Because all this effort could have gone to a game they would have wanted. There are things about Boom that interest me, but the way the game plays is a huge turnoff, so they're basically wasted to me.

Besides, the sentiment that it's not a Sonic game because of how it looks from 5 seconds, seems quite ridiculous assuming those same people were perfectly fine with the massive change in gameplay(s) appearance and scenery going from the classics to the Adventure era.

That's a pretty huge assumption, y'know. I've been vocally against a lot of things this series has done for a while now.

I wonder if there were fans yelling that Sonic Adventure wasn't a "REAL Sonic"game because it didn't adhere to some obscure Sonic code of theirs back in 1998 as well?

Maybe not in so many words, but there most certainly have been complaints about the series' direction since that point or even earlier.

Pshh there are people that still do...Sonic Generations is a great example of this. Something like this always happens when a franchise makes a major shift and usually leaves a small portion of the franchise increasingly bitter because they feel that they will never get what they want ever again. I see nothing wrong holding to things you hold dear, but sometimes you can hold on too tight and suck the life out of it.

I just want LIFE to come back to the Sonic series, any of the life we have now in the main games are just tiny bits of memories we hold on to that at this rate are sadly never coming back to fruition. It's quite clear what ST is choosing to do with Sonic now.

I want a universe to explore....something new to fucking talk about. 

501px-Tails_Pose_37.png

sem_t_iacute_tulo_by_darkspeeds-d75eolp.

Acting like these guys were the first to "screw up" with a questionable design choice seems a bit unfair. Looks to me like ST also didn't seem to know what they were doing.

Hell, at least the Boom goggles actually look like they could fit over his eyes.

And like I said, if it fits your expectations, that's great for you. But that doesn't mean everyone else's expectations are invalid.

Well then it's a good thing I never even inferred that everyone else's expectations were "invalid".

Because all this effort could have gone to a game they would have wanted. There are things about Boom that interest me, but the way the game plays is a huge turnoff, so they're basically wasted to me.

And yet, there's still no logical reason why they'd direct such hostility at Sonic Boom instead of directing deserved criticism towards Sonic Team for not doing it themselves! Seriously, don't attack Sonic Boom for providing what we've been deprived of by Sonic Team for all these years.

That's a pretty huge assumption, y'know. I've been vocally against a lot of things this series has done for a while now.

In that case, I'm perplexed that after all that, 45 seconds of beta footage is where you finally draw the line at what "is" or "isn't" a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

And yet, there's still no logical reason why they'd direct such hostility at Sonic Boom instead of directing deserved criticism towards Sonic Team for not doing it themselves! Seriously, don't attack Sonic Boom for providing what we've been deprived of by Sonic Team for all these years.

You keep acting like no one gets on Sonic Team's back for their failings. We do. Believe me, we fuckin' do.

And Boom doing some things right does not mean we should overlook what it does wrong.

• Thumbs Up 3

Maybe not in so many words, but there most certainly have been complaints about the series' direction since that point or even earlier.

So then, Sonic Boom's really not too different in that case. Doesn't warrant the jabs people take at it for not being a "REAL" Sonic game though.

You keep acting like no one gets on Sonic Team's back for their failings. We do. Believe me, we fuckin' do.

And Boom doing some things right does not mean we should overlook what it does wrong.

Oh I'll acknowledge that my statement doesn't apply everyone just fine. I am referring to the people who moan and groan at Sonic Boom like it's a black woman that unintentionally makes a white man look bad at his job only because she actually does the job.

Except it's not its own thing. Not entirely. If it was its own thing, Sonic wouldn't be in it.

Yes, it is it's own thing to a branching western extent.

What exactly is Boom doing "wrong"? Like, I seriously don't see how it can be doing things wrong when we've barely seen any of it.

• Thumbs Up 1