Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

People are not inherently afraid of anything and everything changing.

After reading the entirety of this thread, this is the easily most naive line in here and the one that had me laughing the absolute hardest. XD (The second place line being that "Sonic fans don't hate change". Stop lying to yourselves, seriously. ¦D)

All I'll say in response to it is that there's a reason that a certain saying exists: "If you want to make enemies, try to change something."

Anyways, I'm gonna be the controversial guy here. I actually want this reboot to happen because I just want to see the outcome of it. Even if said outcome is just them reverting back to the way things are now, which they're more than capable of doing. No one would stop them. From the day we saw the Sonic Boom silhouettes all the way up to the information here and from how bleak things have been looking for the game series in terms of it's overall story and canon (Not the mention Lost World being atrocious), I actually think Sonic does need another story and gameplay reboot since Sega/Sonic Team have made it very clear that with the way things are currently set up, they have no idea what to do or what direction to go in when ti comes to how Sonic should be and especially how the other characters should be. Not only gameplay wise, but story and character wise. That probably explains why things have been the way they have been for the past several years.

But all-in-all, I just find everyone's rage and paranoia silly and amusing and I can't take it seriously. We've had the Adventure/Modern styled characters for awhile and I kinda felt like there would be a "need" for a change in style and design sometime soon. I don't particularly want the redesigns as much as I want the story reboot, bu I'm definitely open to 3 out of 4 of them, Knux's being the only one that even I am skeptical of. Still, it'd be an odd thing to do now considering what just happened in the comics, but if it did happen, I'm sure Ian Flynn could make some 5 minute story arc to bring it up to speed again. lol

But yeah, call me chaotic, but this basically sums up my thoughts and is probably what was going through Sega and Sonic Team's heads if this turns out to be the "nightmare" you all fear. ¦3

1369257330609.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't realize I was such a comedian that I could make someone laugh so hard that they stopped reading and comprehending my posts.

Technically, I read the whole thing since that was at the end of your post. I understand what you're saying.

I'm just saying that you're absolutely wrong. XD Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they don't understand you.

But is this the way things are going to be around here until the information we're either excited or paranoid about comes out? Just everyone bickering back and forth on what's good and what's bad based of on the fact that we have no clue of what's gonna happen?

If anything, we'll probably just see a short promo for Sonic Boom or the movie and there will be a teaser image or post about the 2014 game, if that's still a thing.

Honestly, my question to all of you is how is it that you came to the conclusion of there being a complete reboot and redesign of the cast and game universe in the first place solely from the fact that they used the Sonic Boom picture for that poster? Heck, what if this pulled a Sonic 4 and the picture we see now turned into something completely different by the end?

Seems kinda silly to be scared over something so minor.

Normally when a poster says something like "BIG CHANGE" or "RENAISSANCE" for the franchise, one of the big thoughts is reboot. No ones saying its confirmed, but it is a pretty likely sounding scenario. So let me repeat. NO ONE IS SAYING IT WILL HAPPEN. Just speculating.

Technically, I read the whole thing since that was at the end of your post. I understand what you're saying.

I'm just saying that you're absolutely wrong. XD Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they don't understand you.

But is this the way things are going to be around here until the information we're either excited or paranoid about comes out? Just everyone bickering back and forth on what's good and what's bad based of on the fact that we have no clue of what's gonna happen?

If anything, we'll probably just see a short promo for Sonic Boom or the movie and there will be a teaser image or post about the 2014 game, if that's still a thing.

Honestly, my question to all of you is how is it that you came to the conclusion of there being a complete reboot and redesign of the cast and game universe in the first place solely from the fact that they used the Sonic Boom picture for that poster? Heck, what if this pulled a Sonic 4 and the picture we see now turned into something completely different by the end?

Seems kinda silly to be scared over something so minor.

marioRedesign.jpg

Wow, you Mario fans can't calm down or learn to accept anything, its so minor it's not like it matters anyways.

granted its not as exaggerated as this but that's beyond the point

• Thumbs Up 2

Things don't quite make sense. Why approve Sonic for SSB4 is he was going to get a total reboot including a change of his looks? also, the comic solicts are months ahead of this announcement and show sonic in his normal current look, seeing Ian has information about this already wouldn't things like comic solicts and previews be put on hold to adapt to changes being made?

Nono, I don't think a total reboot is going to happen nothing from the other forms of sonic media are hinting at it. but you can bet that 9/10ths of this event will be about Sonic Boom, after all it is a "renaissance" of sorts for Sonic seeing as its trying something completely new to the franchise.

We gotta chill out a bit, doubt anything is going to happen thats ground shattering.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they don't understand you.

No, but taking a single sentence out of context for the sake of being condescending and rude is a pretty good indication of that.

Furthermore, rumors of Sega rebooting the franchise have been circulating since 2012.  Also, the word "renaissance" kind of implies a new beginning.

• Thumbs Up 3

You've not explained why I'm wrong so I'm not inclined to entertain your disagreement beyond being snarky.

And I don't think most people- if anyone- have said that a franchise-wide reboot in the vain of Sonic Boom is a certainty. We've speculated about that possibility and thus far have argued about it and any relevant theoretical debates about the whole situation. But most people, when pressed, have said "I'm cynical but will wait and see."

Oh sweet lord. I wake up to this news? Uhm well to be honest I like how confident SEGA is and you know, perhaps this plan of theirs can go well. You know what, yeah I'm really curious to see what they're going to do with the brand. If the year of Sonic goes as well as the year of Luigi, then Sonic's popularity will definitely rise high. The only thing that worries me here is how they are using the Sonic Boom teaser image.

• Thumbs Up 2

marioRedesign.jpg

Wow, you Mario fans can't calm down or learn to accept anything, its so minor it's not like it matters anyways.

granted its not as exaggerated as this but that's beyond the point

...He honestly doesn't look that different to me, so I'm not seeing your point. ¦D;

Just looks like the average, typical realistic version of his usual self. Everyone's seen this kind of thing for Mario since forever. Nothing to freak out over.

No, but taking a single sentence out of context for the sake of being condescending and rude is a pretty good indication of that.

Furthermore, rumors of Sega rebooting the franchise have been circulating since 2012.  Also, the word "renaissance" kind of implies a new beginning.

I wasn't being condescending at all. I was just saying that his statement seemed hilariously naive. Totally different. ¦D

And Sega uses grandiose nouns to promote things all of the time and they end up being at levels nowhere near what said noun would imply. I can't say I can seriously see any kind of drastic change happening solely from a vague statement.

Also, i don't recall seeing any sort of these rumors on any kind of sites before, but that was also during a period where I stopped lurking around here, so care to bring up some examples and sources of said rumors? (Not that any Sonic rumors ever amount to much anyway, but I'm at least trying to play along.)

I wasn't being condescending at all. I was just saying that his statement seemed hilariously naive. Totally different. ¦D

Expressing humor at a point you disagree with is exactly what I'd call condescending.  It shows that you're not taking their point seriously enough to give them a dignified response, which is the very meaning of condescending.

And Sega uses grandiose nouns to promote things all of the time and they end up being at levels nowhere near what said noun would imply. I can't say I can seriously see any kind of drastic change happening solely from a vague statement.

That doesn't mean that we're not allowed to explore the possibilities.

Also, i don't recall seeing any sort of these rumors on any kind of sites before, but that was also during a period where I stopped lurking around here, so care to bring up some examples and sources of said rumors? (Not that any Sonic rumors ever amount to much anyway, but I'm at least trying to play along.)

Just a few examples.

...He honestly doesn't look that different to me, so I'm not seeing your point. ¦D;

Just looks like the average, typical realistic version of his usual self. Everyone's seen this kind of thing for Mario since forever. Nothing to freak out over.

Note to self: Keep SSMB far away from Nintendo PR

But more seriously comrade, if you really can't see the problem with completely overhauling and revamping a classic icon (which was rather ridiculous hyperbole as-is), then I don't know if one can reason you into caring about a smaller change. I'm not even on the side that's too concerned about this, and I'm at a loss here.

• Thumbs Up 2

Frankly, I'm in a hurry and don't have the time to read through all 11 pages to see if this comment has been made yet, so I'm just gonna say it:

Good thing they're serving alcohol at the event!

*runs away giggling while also sobbing a little in fear*

• Thumbs Up 8

So it looks like Sonic is getting a huge reboot this year? I guess that makes since, with Generations felling a lot like a big "send off" so to speak with it being the "end" of the Modern Sonic gameplay and all....

Still, I wonder what they are going to do though. I mean sure, Sonic Boom is going to launch this year and outside of Steroids the Encinda being present, it really can't be worse than Sonic X....I don't think at least unsure.png. As for potential games, I wonder what the case will be, as it can't be another Sonic Racing with Mario Kart 8 coming (same thing with a Sega All Stars Rumble, as Smash is coming this year too....) nor can it be a traditional Sonic platformer (Lost World just came out and the PS4/X1 Sonic is coming the earliest late next year).

Maybe they will have a new 2-D Sonic game based of the classic series for all systems (with the Wii U version having extra content to label that as the 3rd Nintendo only sonic); the show looks to be the thing that completely makes ripples in the fan base if these new designs are going to be THE universe for everything Sonic, so having a tight well done classic sonic game made by Generations Team and having the shows main cast (Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knuckles) all playable will go a long way to make us feel a little at ease with this new direction...

Sega has been doing a good job with the series since Unleashed/Colors and even though Lost World was flawed, the series still is on a good path quality wise (say what you will about the level design of LW, but it had good controls, great graphics, well done story and some interesting ideas with the parkor stuff) and taking measures to better the brand (delisting games like Cronciles and 06, having a tighter leash on the comics, making better quality games), so I have hope this new image for the series is successful.

There was 06 though (and that was supposed to be a reboot.....), so who knows what could happen....

Yeah but look what "exploring the possibilities" gets us, we start going into negative shitfits over connecting old rumors and big wurds and expecting the worst.

Like I said before, nothing in the other medias is hinting at a major reboot, its vague but if I remember correctly the 1998 reboot had small showings here and their of a new looking green-eyed sonic a few months before the official announcement of Sonic Adventure in japan. and if history likes to repeat itself like I know it does we would've seen small leaks here and there before this event if this was a planned total reboot.

• Thumbs Up 7

You can't understand why people would have a problem with seeing a hyper realistic Mario replace what they're even used to....?

No, I said I don't see an issue with the design myself since it's honestly nothing I haven't seen before, though I do think it's rather silly for people to be ready to fight and cream over such a thing, too. I understand not liking it and being upset, but sheesh, there is a limit.

On the other hand, I'm a lot more open to changes than most. Or rather, a lot less caring about them. I think a lot differently than most others do, so I tend to not expect others to share my views on things and speak solely on what I see and think for myself unless I'm going around gathering up differing opinions from other individuals. I don't even think the Crash and Spyro redesigns were terrible. I prefer their original looks, but their newer ones aren't anywhere near as bad as people whine and complain that they are. They're just video game characters anyways.

Expressing humor at a point you disagree with is exactly what I'd call condescending.  It shows that you're not taking their point seriously enough to give them a dignified response, which is the very meaning of condescending.

That doesn't mean that we're not allowed to explore the possibilities.

Just a few examples.

I was honestly responding seriously when I added a certain quote into my response to him. I just don't see a point in responding in 5 paragraphs if I can summarize it in a single line of text.

And there's a difference between speculation and paranoia. They aren't really possibilities if there's nothing more than some rumors someone thought up to spark tons of talk.

Also, thanks. I realize now that I've seen at least the TSSZ one before. Didn't it much mind back then. Kinda still don't. I welcome a reboot, but I sure don't expect it or much from it.

Note to self: Keep SSMB far away from Nintendo PR

But more seriously comrade, if you really can't see the problem with completely overhauling and revamping a classic icon (which was rather ridiculous hyperbole as-is), then I don't know if one can reason you into caring about a smaller change. I'm not even on the side that's too concerned about this, and I'm at a loss here.

Buddy, I am in no way even close to being a Nintendo fan. ¦D;

And the reason we're at odds on this front is probably due to the fact that I don't care much for things that are "classic". Nostalgia is a novelty that is pretty much lost of me since I want something I enjoy to actually have some sort of drastic change eventually. This is probably why I prefer Modern Sonic even though I started the series off with the Classic. I'm actually kind fo sick of Modern now, though. Not to the point that I say he needs to go, but so much that if he does, I'll be able to move along with the change and see how things go from that point on.

And if it ends up being terrible, then I'll fully regret it and wish he came back and just keep playing his games like i already do now. That's pretty much how it goes in the Sonic Fanbase, anyways. XD;

Yeah but look what "exploring the possibilities" gets us, we start going into negative shitfits over connecting old rumors and big wurds and expecting the worst.

You mean that we start engaging in a discussion?

Yeah, that's the point. =P

Like I said before, nothing in the other medias is hinting at a major reboot, its vague but if I remember correctly the 1998 reboot had small showings here and their of a new looking green-eyed sonic a few months before the official announcement of Sonic Adventure in japan. and if history likes to repeat itself like I know it does we would've seen small leaks here and there before this event if this was a planned total reboot.

Two things:

1) Sonic Team was under totally different management at the time.  The new marketing directors probably have far different visions than they did in 1998.

2) That was the first and up until now (assuming this is all real happening) only time this has ever happened.  Even if Sonic Team kept the same staff on board, it would be silly to assume that they'd handle their current market the same as they did sixteen years ago.

I was honestly responding seriously when I added a certain quote into my response to him. I just don't see a point in responding in 5 paragraphs if I can summarize it in a single line of text.

Saying someone is "hilariously" anything or feigning laughter as you did is not a dignified response, nor a respectful one.

And there's a difference between speculation and paranoia. They aren't really possibilities if there's nothing more than some rumors someone thought up to spark tons of talk.

That's where I'd disagree.  When there's nothing but rumors, that means there's nothing but possibilities.  Furthermore, although I'll agree that reactions have been sort of jumping the gun, the majority of members here, as Nepenthe pointed out, have clearly stated that they're going to wait and see, albeit skeptically.

• Thumbs Up 1

And the reason we're at odds on this front is probably due to the fact that I don't care much for things that are "classic". Nostalgia is a novelty that is pretty much lost of me since I want something I enjoy to actually have some sort of drastic change eventually.

I don't give a flying crap about nostalgia, comrade. There's a multitude of reasons beyond blind fanboyism a company to respect its franchise's past, everything from brand recognition to preserving a series' unique qualities.

You want to know why, in part, Sonic is such a joke to the public today? Because he bent over backwards to be reinvented in the Adventure era and beyond, and became a laughing stock in the process. Change, in and of itself, is not a positive ingredient to a franchise's success. There's certainly shame in never bothering to try something new, but there is even more shame in never feeling comfortable in your own skin. Sonic needs that more than anything nowadays. We need to know that SEGA are confident in this brand and what they're doing with it beyond whether or not they make their big profits. We need stability.

And I'm sorry comrade, but kindly cut the condescending nonsense. This is a forum full of thinking human beings, treat them as such.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't give a flying crap about nostalgia, comrade. There's a multitude of reasons beyond blind fanboyism a company to respect its franchise's past, everything from brand recognition to preserving a series' unique qualities.

You want to know why, in part, Sonic is such a joke to the public today? Because he bent over backwards to be reinvented in the Adventure era and beyond, and became a laughing stock in the process. Change, in and of itself, is not a positive ingredient to a franchise's success. There's certainly shame in never bothering to try something new, but there is even more shame in never feeling comfortable in your own skin. Sonic needs that more than anything nowadays. We need to know that SEGA are confident in this brand and what they're doing with it beyond whether or not they make their big profits. We need stability.

And I'm sorry comrade, but please cut the condescending crap. This is a forum full of thinking human beings, treat them as such.

One, could you quit calling me comrade? It feels...weird.

Second, I wasn't being even remotely condescending or even sarcastic towards you. I didn't even say anything rude. I just plain don't agree with you. I honestly feel that Sonic's been pretty much stagnant since Unleashed up to Lost World, minus Black Knight. And if stability if what you're saying is what we need, that I'd honestly agree on the grounds that I feel that the series has been unstable for a long time. If anything, that's exactly why there's a possibility it could benefit from a change.

But I don't like going back and forth and in circles when it's clear two opposing sides won't listen, so I think you and I should cut things short here. I'm sorry, but...I just don't agree. o_o *shrugs*

Saying someone is "hilariously" anything or feigning laughter as you did is not a dignified response, nor a respectful one.

That's where I'd disagree.  When there's nothing but rumors, that means there's nothing but possibilities.  Furthermore, although I'll agree that reactions have been sort of jumping the gun, the majority of members here, as Nepenthe pointed out, have clearly stated that they're going to wait and see, albeit skeptically.

It also wasn't the part where I was serious. How about paying attention to the other part I specified when I said the word "quote"? I was talking about the "If you want to make enemies, change something" part. If it's the joking part above that line that bothers you so much..Meh. *shrugs* Sorry?

More importantly, I don't agree at all about that endless possibilities part with rumors solely because of said jumping the gun that people tend to do, but okay. Everyone has their own visions of things. Not like I can say it's wrong.

Especially not when I'm only sticking to the side I'm on just to be controversial to begin with. That and because I'm so curious of the outcome of it.

You mean that we start engaging in a discussion? Yeah, that's the point. =P

Two things:

1) Sonic Team was under totally different management at the time.  The new marketing directors probably have far different visions than they did in 1998.

2) That was the first and up until now (assuming this is all really happening) only time this has ever happened.  Even if Sonic Team kept the same staff on board, it would be silly to assume that they'd handle their current market the same as they did sixteen years ago.

You call it discussion I call it just winding ourselves up for no appearent reason.

I don't understand what you mean by the first one Akito but the second, Soj and SoA have their own ways of marketing Sonic but things must be shared and 1 way or another between those 2 stations sharing information with eachother like it always does something would have leaked out. It did and does with every single sonic game to date and since Heroes its been more rampant, and hell its not just games I believe Sonic X was leaked a bit too before its announcement and comic leaks like the whole Mecha Sally incident happens as well.

Point is that this franchise has ALWAYS had a leak problem because its most likely some random person on the inside who can't keep things to themselves and feel people must know, and if a total reboot was happening that "some person" would have leaked something by now to let us know because that information is just too hot to not pass around regardless of the circumstances.

It also wasn't the part where I was serious. How about paying attention to the other part I specified when I said the word "quote"? I was talking about the "If you want to make enemies, change something" part. If it's the joking part above that line that bothers you so much..Meh. *shrugs* Sorry?

You're completely missing the the point of contention.  The fact of the matter is that the rest of your post was only supporting a reply to a sentence that was taken out of context for what appears to be the sole purpose of narcissism.  Not once in the remainder of that post did you make a comment to the actual meaning behind the words you were replying to.

More importantly, I don't agree at all about that endless possibilities part with rumors solely because of said jumping the gun that people tend to do, but okay. Everyone has their own visions of things. Not like I can say it's wrong.

The point of speculation is to exchange thoughts and ideas on a subject that has not or will not be addressed by the official parties.  Having fun with rumors is what these boards are here for, even if it does sometimes get out of hand. =P

You call it discussion I call it just winding ourselves up for no appearent reason.

Ironically enough, the only people I see getting bent out of shape, aside from the "lel sanic is d00med" crowd, are the people saying that everyone is getting bent out of shape.

I don't understand what you mean by the first one Akito 

I'm saying that Sonic Team's marketing division is run by completely different people, and as such, their way of doing things you would assume would be far different, especially since their audience is far different than it was sixteen years ago.

but the second, Soj and SoA have their own ways of marketing Sonic but things must be shared and 1 way or another between those 2 stations sharing information with eachother like it always does something would have leaked out. It did and does with every single sonic game to date and since Heroes its been more rampant, and hell its not just games I believe Sonic X was leaked a bit too before its announcement and comic leaks like the whole Mecha Sally incident happens as well.

Fair enough.  My point, though, is that we can't use a precedence from sixteen years ago to determine with certainty how things will play out now.

We can debunk worries of this being the whole "Sonic is only on Nintendo now" because of the 2015 game right? Or is that still a rumour?

Second, I wasn't being even remotely condescending or even sarcastic towards you. I didn't even say anything rude. I just plain don't agree with you.

This is what I'm talking about. I don't care if you do it to me, but I do care that you treat the rest of the board with respect. If you don't mean to be, that's different, but as-is there's not much evidence towards honorable behavior here.