Awoo.

Changing Display Name

Ming Ming Hatsune

So I had this "Merry Merry Hatsune" name for a long time now and the name change is long overdue. So today I decided to get off my lazy ass and finally change it. Just oneeeeee little problem...

I can't change my name.

It's giving me this error:

The name can only contain these characters: a-zA-Z0-9

...except my new name is only containing these characters. No special characters. Tried Chrome and Firefox, same error.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can't have spaces in your name anymore.

I've just updated the character list to allow spaces. Try it out in the next two hours and let me know if it works; anything beyond that and I'll have to revert the changes until later (as it can block new registrations completely if entered incorrectly).

• Thumbs Up 8

It works now, thanks. But are you going to leave the current settings as it is or revert back when you can't have spaces in your name?

• Thumbs Up 1

It works now, thanks. But are you going to leave the current settings as it is or revert back when you can't have spaces in your name?

It'll stay as it is as long as it works (which it clearly does). Preventing the use of spaces wasn't my intention with the change and was merely a side effect - it's easier to make a list of permitted characters than it is to make a list of prevented ones.

• Thumbs Up 2

It'll stay as it is as long as it works (which it clearly does). Preventing the use of spaces wasn't my intention with the change and was merely a side effect - it's easier to make a list of permitted characters than it is to make a list of prevented ones.

Wait so, I actually have a few questions about display names... we ARE able to change em at the moment? And we CAN change em again shortly after? And they CAN have spaces? I've just gotten a lot of different explanations and I'm confused.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait so, I actually have a few questions about display names... we ARE able to change em at the moment? And we CAN change em again shortly after? And they CAN have spaces? I've just gotten a lot of different explanations and I'm confused.

You could always change your display name (but not your login name - they're two separate structures). Each account has three possible display name changes per a two week period, with a full reset every two weeks (it doesn't carry over). The names can have spaces [once again] now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm confused. I was able to use spaces for my current name, but I'm not for the one I'm trying to make.

Your new name has an illegal character somewhere - spaces aren't to blame. Line breaks (more than one space in a row) will error out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Your new name has an illegal character somewhere - spaces aren't to blame. Line breaks (more than one space in a row) will error out.

I didn't use any ' or . so I dunno what it could be...

EDIT: Got it, nevermind.

• Thumbs Up 1