Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Marine was scrapped by SEGA not too long ago. BRB probably saw their opportunity to grab a character they liked and put it in their universe, without SEGA overall caring what they did to her. Blaze and Nega, however...

Marine by all rights is still in Blaze's dimension.

Boom is an entirely different universe compared to the original...

• Thumbs Up 6

Also if it's Marine... though this might be explained by the whole Boom continuity thing.

So what's she doing here/does that mean Blaze might show up? Or Even Eggman Nega?

???

It's a completely different universe. Nothing we know of from the other canon applies here. 

For all we know Marine could be from the Space Australia section of the Ark built by Dr. Lobotomy, Boom Eggman's secret twin brother.

• Thumbs Up 9

May I chime in here? What you're looking at with Metal Sonic is a completely different case. He's always retained his original appearance in both Heroes and Chaotix and has only undergone transformation for story purposes. What we're looking at with this so-called 'Marine' is a total change of an established character that goes well beyond the changes seen in Boom already to the point where we can argue they're not one and the same. 

Ironically, that was not the case when Neo Metal Sonic's image was leaked before we had story details of a transformation. People automatically assumed it was Metal Sonic, and no one was particularly fussed to call out the people assuming as making unfounded leaps of logic for having the audacity to assume that Neo Metal Sonic was, in fact, Metal Sonic. And anyone actually making a one-sided argument back then that the differences overrode the similarities while completely ignoring the obvious, in-your-face sum of the whole was probably not taken seriously.

Furthermore, you're missing the forest for the trees. The point here is that characters can have unique looks, whether in universe or out, and ultimately both sides have fuel for their viewpoint in terms of looking at the character and comparing and contrasting. Being patently dismissive as if people are reaching anymore than normal by saying "Hey, this orange and brown Australian girl with pony tails is probably the same orange and brown Australian girl with pony tails, just redesigned for the Boom universe" seems extremely pedantic. Even if it does turn out not to be her, I would not blame a single soul for having made that bet.

• Thumbs Up 9

Also if it's Marine... though this might be explained by the whole Boom continuity thing.

So what's she doing here/does that mean Blaze might show up? Or Even Eggman Nega?

Blaze went to Sonic's birthday party in Generations, so that's not even a problem in the SEGA Universe.

In Boom, Marine could easily be a person who lives on the same island the other 4 live on, so there would be no problem.

Marine was scrapped by SEGA not too long ago. BRB probably saw their opportunity to grab a character they liked and put it in their universe, without SEGA overall caring what they did to her. Blaze and Nega, however...

Huh?

May I also throw in another reason why this being Marine would make sense?

The alternative is it's a new original character. While SEGA's clearly open towards creating new villains when they need a reason to not use Eggman... I think they're more or less past the "let's introduce new heroes" phase. Because that went over so well when they were doing it.

On the flipside, this being a new brand, who knows. They may just be shrugging at the old fanbase and creating a new character anyway. For all we know this character could be the new Sally Acorn in terms of exclusiveness to the West.

But creating a new main character seems like a REALLY risky move when they have tons of others they could have appropriated for the role.

• Thumbs Up 2

Whoever she is she's way better than Marine and I hope she's 20x cuter and infinitely less insufferable.

• Thumbs Up 8

Ohhhhhh my...if that really is Marine, then I'm a very happy chappy! If not though, I'll be quite disappointed because, come on! She's got a boomerang (very Australian), similar colour scheme and fecking blue eyes. The comparison to SEGA!Marine and this character are just too coincidental!

"Marine" aside I actually really quite like how Sonic looks in that render.  By the looks of it his brow is a little softer and he doesn't have those odd "lips" that he has in renders such as the Sonic 4 one.  It's a nice subtle yet natural expression.  Knuckles and Amy look a little drunk though.

Hate to break up the discussion, but this caught my eye. 

Fnt6U3U.jpg

Sonic's not wearing it in the earlier artwork.

Yeah that's the main reason why I thought it was real.

Though there's a second interesting point too... Tails is missing his chest tool belt. It's around his waist, but not his chest.

Wasn't that always present in the design, though?

Sonic_Boom_Trailer_Sonic.png

I remember Frostman talking about how we shouldn't just assume it was missing.

Knuckles and Amy look a little drunk though.

An attempt to draw in an older crowd, obviously.

Fnt6U3U.jpg

It's that tether thing. I'm more surprised the others aren't wearing any (individually designed ones).

Wasn't that always present in the design, though?

Sonic_Boom_Trailer_Sonic.png

I remember Frostman talking about how we shouldn't just assume it was missing.

Guess the communication watch was added after the concept art?

I can't believe I only just noticed that Sonic has individual teeth here as opposed to just a line of white cartoony characters typically have.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly when people say the words "Sonic Cycle" I don't think people mean it as the cycle as portrayed in the infamous image. (Hell, the image's description of the cycle doesn't even work with any Sonic game, not even Unleashed, the game -judging the first screenshot- the cycle is supposedly based off of. The Sonic game that comes closest to that description is Sonic 06, and even then hype for the game didn't diminish until the reviews started pouring in).

When people nowadays say "Sonic Cycle", I'm sure they mean it in that a new Sonic game is announced in a blaze of hype with people claiming it will be the game that "brings Sonic back", only for the game to be found as disappointing/mediocre by the time the game is released. Which considering the track record of Sonic Team since Sonic 06, honestly isn't that inaccurate (barring Colors and Generations, which some people would prefer to ignore their existence or dismiss them as flukes).

Just something I felt like touching on in regards to the cycle talk.

(Ignoring the new Marine look-a-like pic because I doubt the image is legitimate and I don't care much for the character in particular.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Though there's a second interesting point too... Tails is missing his chest tool belt. It's around his waist, but not his chest.

I think it is there, it's just crossing his chest in the opposite direction from how it's been shown before (which could just be them mirroring a render to better fit the poster), and thus mostly covered by his body and arm.

When people nowadays say "Sonic Cycle", I'm sure they mean it in that a new Sonic game is announced in a blaze of hype with people claiming it will be the game that "brings Sonic back", only for the game to be found as disappointing/mediocre by the time the game is released. Which considering the track record of Sonic Team since Sonic 06, honestly isn't that inaccurate (barring Colors and Generations, which some people would prefer to ignore their existance or dismiss them as flukes).

Even a cycle that vague doesn't really count for much. Hard to say consensus for Unleashed switched by the end when that game was plagued by an already-divided reception due to the Werehog from the very start. Secret Rings was a spin-off that received decent reviews but, as a spin-off, no one counted it as a savior of any sort. No one had faith in Black Knight or Sonic 4 to be broken in the first place (although episode 1 still nabbed good reviews and is in some outlets good graces). And Colors and Generations were considered good at the time of release. I guess Lost World fits the best, but a one-in-seven success rate at being right still doesn't sound like a cycle worth putting merit in.

As such, it would be better if people gave any kind of Cycle a rest instead of trying to pin the different situations concerning development and reception of Sonic games on some sort of "pattern." Seriously guys, it's astrology levels of weird.

Has this character been considered? Chris Senn's creation, by the way.

SXT_Tiara_Original.jpg

I know her looks is nowhere near a mystery character's looks, but who knows. She is almost of same color and does not have a tail...

My assumptions are that this is Marine, regardless of any analysis. This character's looks is more likely to be Marine's from my point of view.

That is more than likely a promo picture for the cartoon rather than the game, guys...

I wonder why Sonic suddenly got the same mouth as Game!Sonic instead of it being in the center of the face, like what we've been seeing lately. Changes in character designs?

I don't really care if you say she is not Marine. She may be a whole different character vaguely based on her, but if she is an Australian female raccoon, well... that's enough for me to consider her Marine, even if she is getting a new name in the show. I'll still treat her as the same character.

I do find it odd that this Marine-ish girl does have a more distinctive Sonicy look while all those other Boom-created characters looked like typical Western-anthros.

So, I'm going to assume I'm not stupid and this is real...

But where is it from?

tumblr_n5kn077Quz1r1alb2o1_500.jpg

Hi, Marine(?).

Fifth playable perhaps? They did hint at possibly hosting more than just four playable characters after all. Still, I can;t shake the feeling that is TOO easy. Like they want us to think it's Marine only to blind-side with a tidbit that it's really Cream's long-lost transgendered father or something crazy like that.