Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

"Up and down and all around" technically doesn't even make Speed Highway count as lyrical, it's a 3 second rap sample to fill the void.

I personally don't care for fully vocal tracks in this series anymore. More vocal samples sprinkled here and there like we saw in SA1 and Rush, sure, but full songs... Eh.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe it's a guilty pleasure of mine, but I actually enjoy cheesy rock in Sonic. And I must emphasize the "cheesy" part. I dunno, I like that "Yeah, on the surface it's kinda cool, but it's also a little silly," to it.

But that goes back to my love for the Adventures. With it's cool overall plot, but awful line delivery and "wut"-worthy dialogue. lol

• Thumbs Up 1

What really makes it offensive is that the same pose is used in all of them. You can tell it's a literal copy and paste.

I don't understand what's unusual about this.  Those renders are clearly part of a press pack distributed for use in promoting the game, and I'd expect to see a lot more of them in the near future.  If it was 2D traditional art then it would be used in exactly the same way; just look at the posters for A Link Between Worlds.  The Boom only one will be by Sega/BRB marketing, but they'll want everyone to recognise those renders for this and probably many more occasions and become gradually more familiar with Boom as a result, and that's why the same renders will have been included in the press pack distributed to, probably among many others, whoever did the cross-promotional ones (Disney XD or whoever).

Buh. I do miss Crush 40 and vocal theme songs in general but I'm hoping Sonic Boom will have one at least. If SEGA isn't doing vocal tunes for their games anymore (three games in a row with no vocals?) then why not the more "westernised" Sonic? Hell the tv show/game is called Sonic Boom, so use the damn song or remix it or something!

• Thumbs Up 5

Reach For The Stars seems to be one that Sonic Team are fond of. It was used in Colours, ASRT, and Lost World. It was also an unlockable in Generations.

Sega Superstars barely had a vocal theme

Sega Superstars Tennis didn't have a vocal theme in any capacity

Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing had a full-fledged vocal theme

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed didn't have a vocal theme in any capacity

I really do think ASR 1 was just a fluke in this regard. Also, I think the only reason people are upset over there being no main theme is because we're simply used to this tradition of having a theme song for every game, whether the context calls for it or not. I think that is bad form, honestly. A game can have a stellar soundtrack just as well without one, and since those vocal themes end up with mixed reception to begin with (and honestly, I'm pretty tired of Crush 40 by this point) I think at this point the Sonic fans want a vocal theme simply for the sake of having a vocal theme.

Honestly, Lost World's energetic orchestral expresses more of what I like to see out of the series rather than overly dramatic or corny rock or techno music tracks.  There are some that I do like, but the more I think about it, it's just because it was Sonic music.

• Thumbs Up 5

They've already bothered scrubbing away everything Sonic had that distinguished it from other platformers, so I'd figure we don't need to ask "has Sonic had vocal themes?" but "Have Sony platformers had Vocal themes?"

In that sense not really but I'd expect them to make one anyways because of the cartoon. I doubt it'll be anything to do with "Sonic Boom" (the CD theme), though.

They've already bothered scrubbing away everything Sonic had that distinguished it from other platformers,

You act as if every Sonic game worth playing has had or required a vocal theme to set it apart from the competition.

Sonic CD notwithstanding, the original games didn't set gaming culture ablaze with late 80s grunge rock, you know.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm calling the new character "Nerima". See? That's totally different.

Reach For The Stars seems to be one that Sonic Team are fond of. It was used in Colours, ASRT, and Lost World. It was also an unlockable in Generations.

Generations had all of them though. And the All-Stars series had them too various times before Transformed.

By the way, weren't we supposed to get Knuckles' rap music from Hunnid-P? That would make sense for Boom and it would confirm character themes, but we assumed he was just expressing desire of doing some more music for SEGA and that it wasn't a confirmation at all. It's also been a long time since he said that, so it's probably nothing.

I'm talking about the argument they'd somehow keep the vocal themes here to distinguish it from other platformers when they've removed everything else that normally distinguishes Sonic from other platformers.

I'm saying, likely there'll be a vocal theme, because it'll be used for the cartoon too.

Oh, I kind of forgot that this was in the context of Boom.

In that case I understand where you're coming from, but I wouldn't group vocal themes as a necessary Sonic tradition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Buh. I do miss Crush 40 and vocal theme songs in general but I'm hoping Sonic Boom will have one at least. If SEGA isn't doing vocal tunes for their games anymore (three games in a row with no vocals?) then why not the more "westernised" Sonic? Hell the tv show/game is called Sonic Boom, so use the damn song or remix it or something!

I agree! And with the tv show involved there sight top be a set vocal theme for the show to boot!

They've already bothered scrubbing away everything Sonic had that distinguished it from other platformers

That's a rather oddly True Scotsman-ish, assumptive fan perspective to look at it from. I mean seriously, There hasn't even been sufficient proof presented to base these claims on.

To be honest, will it really hurt anyone if Boom doesn't have a theme song?

Like I understand that vocal themes are a thing for Sonic but it wouldn't hurt to not have them for every game, maybe a vocal theme for a game every once in a while.

I'm pretty sure everyone can get down with that.

Actualy in regards to the show, most CGI action shows of this type tend to have a vocal theme, Iron Man Armored adventures, Fantastic Four, and a couple others I cant think of, and if this follow suits, this show will share an intro with the show, and thus the song

That's a rather oddly True Scotsman-ish

shrek_the_third01.jpg

Anyway, I'm not sure whether there will be a vocal theme, but I can only hope that it doesn't go with a generic Saturday morning cartoon one if it does.

• Thumbs Up 1

shrek_the_third01.jpg

Anyway, I'm not sure whether there will be a vocal theme, but I can only hope that it doesn't go with a generic Saturday morning cartoon one if it does.

something tells me it'll just repeat "Sonic Boom" thousands of times, then a rap part to tell us about the characters, then go back to repeating sonic boom

"Young Sonic Hedgehog, he was just 15, his friend built a very strange machine..."

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if there isn't a vocal theme but for me at least, just having the orchestrated theme is a bit lackluster, call me a fan of rock music or whatever if you want but I do generally like stuff like that and its pretty saddening to see it go.

Even if it isn't Crush40, a vocal theme sort of fits. We've had Endless Possibility and Reach For the Stars, which were experimenting with themes away from rock, I'm guessing. Yes, the cheessy era has mostly past, but remember that the cheesy era started with the western devs. There's no reason to think it wouldn't be brought back.

Maybe this is really just a call from me for character themes back. I don't know.

That's a rather oddly True Scotsman-ish, assumptive fan perspective to look at it from.

I'm a Scot and ouch?

You guys are forgetting this is a French production cartoon and the last time Sonic was produced in France was with Sonic Underground.

I don't know if I can handle another Sonic Underground-like theme, I'm alright with instrumental.

• Thumbs Up 2

"It's my poster"

Thats great! But where did the assets come from?

Thats great! But where did the assets come from?

Indeed. No offense to the guy, but that modelling looks too legit to not have an official origin.

I can't see the video because MetroPCS is poo, but please tell me this doesn't mean what I think it means. If so, I might cry myself to sleep.

Right...

So did he somehow get hold of it or is he saying he made it. That some impressive CG even for an experienced person. The guy doesn't sound old enough to have such experience.