Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Indeed. No offense to the guy, but that modelling looks too legit to not have an official origin,.

There are some really good fan modelers out there on places like DA, so it's equally likely that it's fan made.

There are some really good fan modelers out there on places like DA, so it's equally likely that it's fan made.

True, but don't they normally have more reference than what we've had for whoever that character is? *shrug*

I can't see the video because MetroPCS is poo

I have MetroPCS to. And here I thought it was my lg phone which is why I couldn't see the video

I'm inclined to believe that this is genuine, if only because I can't believe that a fan would go to this much effort. What with the assets looking as good as they do and the fact we have the Star Wars ones done.

Whilst he says 'It's my poster' he doesn't say 'I made it.'

So I suspect someone else has either made it for him, or it's a copy of something that's been commissioned for an official event.

Though we might get a clear answer if a C&D is hit on the video. 

"This sonic boom poster is mine" "It's my poster"

Well good for you kid.

That's literally the only thing that I felt reminded of in the video. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait so...we don't even know if these renders are real or not? o__o

These renders look WAY too good to be fan made. I agree with Hogfather, I think these are genuine but we'll probably find out soon whether they are or not.

I know it's hard to tell with the different perspectives...

But does "My poster" look a lot smaller than the one which was posted last week?

True, but don't they normally have more reference than what we've had for whoever that character is? *shrug*

Do they need reference?  It'd be as vague to them as it is to us, yet we recognise it as the same character.  Someone could easily make it if they wanted to.

The question is... why bother?  They would have had to remade the other four -perfectly- too in order to make those new poses.  That's a lot of work for a hoax that will probably be debunked in a matter of weeks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't see the video because MetroPCS is poo, but please tell me this doesn't mean what I think it means. If so, I might cry myself to sleep.

Didn't You say something about eating your socks if it turns out to boot be Marine?

He sounds fairly young, as well. I'm also inclined to think he didn't make it.

Why do I have the oddest feeling one of his parents was a SEGA employee/associate of a SEGA employee and committed a nono by sharing that with him?

NDAs, after all, oddly never seem to apply to your closest friends and family members. tongue.pngCase in point.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if there isn't a vocal theme but for me at least, just having the orchestrated theme is a bit lackluster, call me a fan of rock music or whatever if you want but I do generally like stuff like that and its pretty saddening to see it go.

This is more or less how I feel. I enjoy the vocal themes. I think they actually help add to community.

Seaside Hill at Summer of Sonic 2013 should show us all you need to know about how this community feels about lyrics at its events. Seaside Denied is a fan song and yet even it was being sung.

But yes, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. It just saddens me when there isn't one given I used to ALWAYS, ALWAYS look forward to each game coming out just to glimpse the main theme song in full as well as the final boss theme. Those are two pieces of music I nearly always can't wait to hear; I prowl Youtube by the hour on a release day hoping to get to hear them.

You guys are forgetting this is a French production cartoon and the last time Sonic was produced in France was with Sonic Underground.

I don't know if I can handle another Sonic Underground-like theme, I'm alright with instrumental.

Cartoon being a musical confirmed. Muhahaha!

The interesting thing here is I've often heard the Sonic Underground main theme is the one song that's bearable in it.

..perhaps the main vocal themes will return to the games someday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBff2ENMCD0

• Thumbs Up 2

Hell, Seaside Hill at Summer of Sonic 2013 should show you all you need to know about how this community feels about lyrics at its events. Seaside Denied is a fan song and yet even it was being sung.

I'm afraid to say this is kind of a faulty comparison. Seaside Denied's lyrics are parody, and accompanied a very unique and well-crafted video for a fresh idea. My bet would be on that being a one-time thing; I doubt people would sing Metropolis Mayhem this year, for example*.

*I could very well be wrong and will chew on a sock for 5 minutes if that is the case.

The key point, however, is that lyrics are something that can be easily communicated at those sorts of events.

Otherwise you end up with people trying a capella or not trying to sing anything at all at musical performances.

Instrumental music is beautiful in and of itself, but it just doesn't have the same ability to connect a large number of people like lyrics can. Spoken words are more readily recreated than noises.

For a lot of Sonic fans, the events don't mean jack. For me, however, they and their atmospheres are VERY important, as should be obvious by now. I feel vocal themes add something to them.

Doubly so in America, given we don't play Sonic music outside the main concert.

That looks way too good to be fan made! Usually I've seen people post fake image materials that looks close to official or ones that people half ass them. However... I still can't tell if it's real or not.

As for the vocal theme... I'm kinda on the fence with this one. There are ones that I love (Endless Possibilities, Open Your Heart, Live, Sonic Heroes and Learn and Knight of the Wind) but there are others I would gladly do without. As long as it's catchy then I honestly don't mind it.

Oh yeah, it's certainly a major plus for attendee participation, I agree; we all love to sing with people. I don't think that cons are SEGA's sound team's first thought though.

I'd imagine it's real, one of the kid's parents/guardians/friends is probably an industry member who managed to snag this for him, perhaps it was pre-E3 promotional material.

It's been known to happen, I don't see much reason to doubt it at this point. Of course it could always be really damn good fanart, but that kind of thing usually surfaces online first if so, or can be traced to an online artist.

That looks way too good to be fan made! Usually I've seen people post fake image materials that looks close to official or ones that people half ass them. However... I still can't tell if it's real or not.

While there are some impressive fan modelers, the only one that comes to mind is Elesis Knight who does work with Archie... and if they had made the model, they would have posted it on their deviantArt.

So there's either a really kickass modeller out there who made this, or someone got ahold of SEGA assets and made a poster out of it. I would not be surprised if this was going to be revealed at E3 and someone who is an insider got ahold of it, and gave it to the Youtuber (presumably a relative) on the basis that nothing bad would likely happen with it in a month's time.

How word spreads with the internet!

I hate to be ageist, but you should almost never trust younger people with secret information or material. When a young person gets something cool, what do they usually want to do with it? Share it.

I mean, even adults like sharing really cool or exclusive stuff, if the Collections thread here is any indication. The key difference is we understand that some things should not be shared, no matter how much we want to do so. Particularly when there's a nice, wonderful fine/blacklist/other penalty attached to it.

In terms of lyrics at Summer of Sonic, I was watching the entire of the thing last year, and as far as I'm aware, everytime a song with lyrics came on, the audience were singing - even with mixed results. Not sure about Boom, but I'd guess it was the same.

And I also agree about the sharing thing, funny as it is since I'm only 19. But the one thing I do when I see even the smallest glimpse of info is share it. However, the one thing I don't do is share rumour. I guess we'll see in a months time, either at E3 or the Licensing expo.

And I also agree about the sharing thing, funny as it is since I'm only 19. But the one thing I do when I see even the smallest glimpse of info is share it. However, the one thing I don't do is share rumour. I guess we'll see in a months time, either at E3 or the Licensing expo.

Disregarding the different social situations (romance, schooling, financial responsibilities) of minors, one of the biggest differences is that minors under 18 aren't usually legally responsible for their actions. A person who is 18 may be giddy as day about insider info, but they won't share it because the company that gave it to them can utterly destroy them with legal action.

With those who are under 18, that fear of legal repercussions isn't there to keep one's desires in line.

I almost feel sorry for whoever gave this person that insider info... but at the same time... it should be common sense not share insider info with anyone. Regardless of how old or young they are.

• Thumbs Up 1

So true.

If I was working for a company, I'd keep it a secret. If it gets officially announced, then it can start to be talked about. If I had promo material? I wouldn't say anything about it. My sharing official news is just excitement getting the better of me. With anything at stake, I can and will keep quiet about it.

But then again, leaks always happen by the simplest of things. And that usually starts with families and friends.

Geez, that kid was annoying. Children don't belong on the internet...

...Bit harsh isn't it?

Yeah, some kids are annoying on the internet. Not all of them!

• Thumbs Up 4

"It's MY poster! It's all mine! MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE."

Now we have another Penders situation on our hands. This time over a poster. SEGA can no longer allow Sonic posters to be made.

There's plenty of modellers who could've done this, better than Elesis-Knight at that. Thing is, if so I imagine we'd have seen it already in dA, unless the intent is being a hoax, in which case... why the Star Wars angle?!

I won't be surprised if he is Bob's Rafei kid... smile.png Or someone's at Sega. 
But my thoughts are close to understanding that this whole story is not official (the models remind me of the modern ones, which were redone featuring Sonic Boom's design of characters in Blender or something. The racoon was made from scratch (this is not as hard nowadays). I may be totally wrong, but that's what I see.

I'm not 100% sure of this being a fan-made, because Star Wars (toys & battlefront game) thing. I'll just wait for this goddamn long-awaited E3, like I did for about 3 months to this time.

To be fair, the kid did only said it was his poster and he wasn't particularly up his own arse about it either. Now I get why some might find his voice to be annoying, I myself find it hard to listen to narration when it's high pitched like that but it's hardly something that he can be blamed for. We all went through having voices like that before they mellowed out. Other than hoping that he might get a little credit for being the source of it he didn't seem to be out to earn anything from that video.

• Thumbs Up 2