Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I just question if/when SEGA will drop the hammer on this.

On the other hand, SEGA's not Nintendo. While Nintendo roars and goes insane when leaks occur ("Ohhhh yes, there will be BLOOOD!!"), SEGA seems to pull things for a day... and then confirm them the next. They're pretty good at yielding when leaks do occur.

You know, looking at it again, now that we can see the poster in full. There is something very curious about all this which doesn't make sense.

If this were being made for an official event... where are the logos?

There's nothing on it, not even a Sega logo which is very strange and unheard of if this were being made for an official event. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just a thought, I've been following this guy's work for a while and he had made a Sonic Boom pack free to use.

http://nibrocrock.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-Boom-Models-First-Release-433754686

Thinking about it, I don't think official Boom Knuckles is as buff as the poster or as buff Rock's models.

Thing is, I don't think he made a Boom "Marine" either.

Is it not possible it's a printout of a 'clean' digital asset, similar to those in press vaults? It doesn't seem like it's poster paper to me -- not glossy-looking enough.

I just question if/when SEGA will drop the hammer on this.

On the other hand, SEGA's not Nintendo. While Nintendo roars and goes insane when leaks occur ("Ohhhh yes, there will be BLOOOD!!"), SEGA seems to pull things for a day... and then confirm them the next. They're pretty good at yielding when leaks do occur.

On the flip side, the show's by a French group, the game is assumably being distributed by, and is exclusive to Nintendo, and being developed by BRB, and Sega is the rights holder and assumably in charge of marketing 

You know, looking at it again, now that we can see the poster in full. There is something very curious about all this which doesn't make sense.

If this were being made for an official event... where are the logos?

There's nothing on it, not even a Sega logo which is very strange and unheard of if this were being made for an official event. 

Potential prototype maybe? Though you're dead on that the lack of at least a SEGA logo is bizarre. Assuming he got it from someone who is working with PR material then I guess they could have made one with the info removed for the sake of a cleaner looking poster since they wouldn't need the text on there.

We'll probably find out this thing's legitimacy at E3, if those poses show up then we'll know. 

Here is what I think. One of the kid's parents is probably working on the TV series, probably one of the graphic designers. The parent must have made a custom poster (hence why there are no logos) as a gift to the kid.

(And I don't know why this poster is discussed here, it's more likely for the TV series not the video game)

Here is what I think. One of the kid's parents is probably working on the TV series, probably one of the graphic designers. The parent must have made a custom poster (hence why there are no logos) as a gift to the kid.

(And I don't know why this poster is discussed here, it's more likely for the TV series not the video game)

Sounds about right actually. The kid's subscribed to TailsChannel and Cobanermani, so he's obviously a Sonic fan. So maybe it went down like this:

Kid finds out one of his folks/someone he knows is working on Boom. He flips out and pesters them for goodies. They relent, and fend him off with a fairly spoiler-free poster. He brags about it to his friends and shows them. Through the magic of social media, it makes its way here and across the 'net. Kid then decides to say it was his, trying to be seen as a 'source' and stand out among other Sonic YouTuber fans.

I assume that is most likely what happened indeed. Everyone wants to stand out at some point in their lives.

With regards to logos, I get the feeling it's because (as was mentioned) this wasn't the final version. It's sort of like how Archie artists publish versions of covers without all the text and numbering and all the final touches. If this is official in any way, it probably just hasn't had the logos slapped on yet.

I mean, why would it at this point? E3's a month away and it takes only a few days to get posters shipped to you. Small details like adding a logo on top of everything can be done last minute.

Actually no, it can take even less. There's mass printing shops all over southern California. They could probably slap the logo on two days before E3 and still have it ready the day of. Pick up orders are a beautiful thing.

I don't think this is the case at all, it's pretty frowned upon to share unreleased assets outside of a company, even with family of workers who are working on it. It maybe something very petty, but it's definitely a sackable offence because it causes company breaches with stuff that clearly isn't meant to be shown to the public yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think this is the case at all, it's pretty frowned upon to share unreleased assets outside of a company, even with family of workers who are working on it. It maybe something very petty, but it's definitely a sackable offence because it causes company breaches with stuff that clearly isn't meant to be shown to the public yet.

What if the kid is a make-a-wish recipient perhaps? or some other special case for PR for Sega or some other group that wasn't supposed to get out yet?  Or perhaps his dad is the printer doing the final labeling for E3 and did an extra copy for his son?

Still a company sackable offense on the parents side if that's what has happened, if it hasn't been shared to the public, or announced via the source or SEGA themselves, then we're simply not supposed to know of it at this point in time, and this kid could have potentially dropped a leak with him sharing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is the problem though with all these theories.

They don't make too much sense when you factor in the star wars stuff. No way a BRB staffer would have access to the Star Wars Assets?

It's still got to be someone connected to these franchises in some way who would have access.

It's got to be a banner of sorts that's part of a bigger mural for E3 or a toy fair booth or something.

That would make the most sense. Star Wars is random as all Hell unless it's part of some Toy Fair.

I mean, SEGA did say they were partnering with dozens of companies, didn't they? TOMY was just the one who got namedropped.

So it's probably some toy company is working with both Star Wars and Sonic.

In before LEGO Sonic, hahaha.

...or Disney/SEGA partnership.

That would make the most sense. Star Wars is random as all Hell unless it's part of some Toy Fair.

I mean, SEGA did say they were partnering with dozens of companies, didn't they? TOMY was just the one who got namedropped.

So it's probably some toy company is working with both Star Wars and Sonic.

In before LEGO Sonic, hahaha.

...or Disney/SEGA partnership.

Disney's Sonic

Dangit Mike! Why you do this?!

A part of me almost wants to wonder if this was actually planned by SEGA to help generate some interest for E3. But I don't know...

Oh my...

If you read it in Eggmans voice... suddenly everything becomes clear.

It's Eggman Nega! OF COURSE!

Oh my...

If you read it in Eggmans voice... suddenly everything becomes clear.

I'm having a man-crush on Mike.

Dang...Mike is on full troll blast on this one bit of news. He could just leave us be and silently watch us scrutinize on who the mystery character is but nope. He just wants to feed us chili peppers and make us scramble to get anything to quench our thirst.

With how evil yet lighthearted his behavior is, I guess he really IS a match for Eggman, no?

It'll be glorious to see what everything was in retrospect. It always is.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hmmmmm "It's my poster" but doesn't talk of where it came from. Here's my theory.

A.) I believe 100% it is his and that the other posters we saw belong to the child as well. HOWEVER.

B.) I think they were made by someone else, possibly his mother/father who works with/knows someone at Sega who has assets to official character models he can then use to make a poster with. That would explain the two posters with Star Wars related stuff in the background. 

Mike doesn't voice Eggman, he IS Eggman!

So it's very likely that it's official, but the whole Star Wars thing is throwing me off.

Mike left a new post in the comments section:

Here’s what Mike Pollock will say, since his Non-Disclosure Agreement prevents him from saying anything concrete beyond his delightfully cagey and snarky comments:

No one has told me who that character is, but I can make inferences about who it is based on my knowledge of the scripts (and I’ve seen many more words than pictures, based on my need to know). However, in the event that the character is not Marine (note that I haven’t said that it is or is not), I will take great joy in referring to said character, whenever possible, as “Ex-Marine” or even “Maureen.”

Semper Fi!

I'm now more confused by this message. I'm still referring to her as Nerima, or Namire.