Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Sounds like Big Red button, might become Sonic Team West for this new continuity

• Thumbs Up 6

Calm down. This is the start of a new sub-series. The main franchise (along with the Modern designs) will continue.

My apologizes, I just got home and the game trailer was the first thing I saw, I immediately jumped to conclusions on it. I'm not looking forward to it in the slightest, but at least this is just like a side thing. 

Again, to anyone that was irritated, my bad, I'll do a quick edit for clarification.

So this is an official reboot? I'm sorry, but fuck this, this game looks hilariously bad.

No. Think of it as the Ultimate Spider-Man of Sonic. It's an alternate telling aside from the main series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, where where where do I start?

First, the game looks like an ideal Sonic game, and one I personally have been wanting for ages. Playables besides Sonic again, and a more open experience in the levels. Great. Co-op is also great, as well as multiplayer. And hopefully we will be seeing more characters soon, even if just for the multiplayer.

It's running on the CryEngine 3? I have no experience with it whatsoever, but I do know that some critically acclaimed games used it or previous versions. If a Sonic game is using this engine, I'm happy with that.

Ex-Naughty Dog employees? I am so pleased to hear that, as not only does new developers mean a fresh look on the series as a whole, a developer with such good platforming experience will make this better by far.

As for the 2D in 3D - again? Admittedly, I like the 2D games on their own, and so if 2D is executed well into the 3D, then I'm fine with it. Lost World's 2D was just awful for me to play through, and I still can't see the point in 2D-3D hybrid levels.

As much as I really hate to say it, if this continuity of the Sonic universe actually provides good, fresh experiences with interesting narratives and no pointless gimmicks [in the games, for the series I'd have to say no pointless jokes], I may just consider jumping ship. And this is from someone who steadfastly refuses to admit the other uninverses of the TV series or comics as canon.

But we'll just have to wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 1

My apologizes, I just got home and the game trailer was the first thing I saw, I immediately jumped to conclusions on it. I'm not looking forward to it in the slightest, but at least this is just like a side thing. 

Again, to anyone that was irritated, my bad, I'll do a quick edit for clarification.

No apologies necessary, my reply just happened to come after you'd been corrected :P

Well uh, "interesting" is a word.

It's a weird feeling honestly. It's like I really dig the design and direction, but on the other hand something feels awfully generic and boring about it. It's hard for me to care about this sub series thing but at the same time it's interesting enough to take a peek at. Maybe I'm just not really hyped for it but more over not really upset with it and just feels like an extra side thing.

So with that said I'm pretty happy about it. It's fresh and new and bold and isn't like it's changing everything from now on for the history of forevers. The game play looks like Heroes, 06, Adventure, and Unleashed or something had a massive clusterfuck baby. Seeing the trailer it highly puts me in the mind set of "uh, are we going back 10 years and making that style HD or something?"

I guess I just hope it's good. I'm pretty down with most of their designs, especially Eggman's really rad new coat that makes him look like an evil pilot or something. I didn't even notice Sonic's blue arms until I read someone complaining about them so they don't bug me either. So here's to hoping both the show and game is good, I think it's a welcome sub-series and just hope it doesn't override the normal Sonic stuffs. Hell if the game is stellar please let it influence the main games at most.

EDIT:

oh yeah, the designs also remind me of what a really old buddy of mine's drawing style for sawnky and friends actually, which is kinda neat. "Nomad" that used to the "Not for Resale" comics like eons ago, but anyway:

sonic_noir___cobalt___by_nomad_the_hedge

Sonic Boom has been in development for 2 years.

Woah... potentially developed right after Gens.

Totally not surprised. Sonic Boom is almost a new IP. New team, new ideas, total redesign, everything built from scratch and it's part of a larger brand involving a TV show. It's what I've wanted for Sonic for ages.

Seeing more of this, I can't help but be excited :).

A Sonic game made up of a team that made some of my favorite PS1/2 games (Crash 1-TR, Jak 1-3, Daxter and some of the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games) is too good to be true and if they become the new Sonic Team West so to speak, we could have a nice back-and-fourth for the Sonic series; Sonic team making great games and this new western team making great games.

The visuals look amazing (the gaming running on CryEngine 3 is impressive considering the games that used that engine in the past), the gameplay looks so fun with us FINALLY being able to play with Sonic extended cast, and it looks to be just as great as the teams past work with Jak/Crash.

While I was considering waiting for a Wii U for another year or so, if this game is as good as it looks, I think I might get one sooner than I thought I would :). Surprising considering Sonic Team isn't making this (as Generations pushed me into getting a PS3....).

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm quite optimistic for this game on the sheer fact that it is not being developed by Sonic Team and Dimps (Hopefully Sonic Team after they flubbed with Lost World can get their shit together in the meantime. Dimps can kindly fuck off though)

Though the fact that the game is being developed by a team comprised of ex-Naughty Dog employees as well as the guys behind the Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (which I heard was good, if not great, and had a well done Vita port) and the HD PS3 port of the first three games.

The models look unremarkable, but the graphics look great. I think the artstyle looks nice too, they look like a more stylized approach of Generations artstyle with an "actual" lost world (unlike that other Sonic game with those worlds) with J&D/R&C influences. As for gameplay, I think I need to see more footage before I can judge, but I'm happy that concepts such as other playable characters, emphasis on exploration, and alternate paths in level design among others are returning/being introduced. As for the remarks on the gameplay looking generic and boring and the weariness over the combat gameplay element, I'm hopeful that the BRB Entertainment will make the final product a lot more creative and fun than it initially looks here for those concerned. The trailer does say it's a work in progress, after all.

The level designer is Chris Senn.

Pretty sure Carbo was referring to the ex-Naughty Dog employees working on the game. Also, are you implying Chris Senn is a terrible level designer? :/ If this is based off of X-treme, that was design from an unfinished game started and end almost two decades ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I the only one who thinks the game looks alot like Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One? Don't get me wrong, the game looks cool as hell, but still. Also, I actually think the designs look fine! Besides drugged-up Knuckles.

Idk, I still can't see what everyone's saying by it looking like the "Unleashed" style. It looks nothing like it; and a "stylized" Unleashed is Generations, anyways. :v

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way since it's not just that it doesn't share any qualities with most Sonic games (which feels awkward/alien no matter if its being made by a different team or not). It's got that pure.. "American" feel to it. It doesn't in the slightest way feel like a Japanese-developed game, and I think that's why it feels so weird and uncomfortable to me since Sonic's always had that style that feels like a blend.

As for having games back and forth like this.. I dunno. I'm afraid Sonic Team games will become obscured if that happens, since Boom will be the big thing that has all the merchandising and tv show.

• Thumbs Up 3

The level designer is Chris Senn.

Considering the man put his heart into a game that got redone almost five times and almost worked himself to death trying to get the dam thing finished, I hope that wasn't an insult man sad.png. X-treme had potential and was quite interesting despite game not being possible at the time (the game reportedly ran like crap on Saturn hardware....), and the guy has a lot of love for the Sonic series as well (so much so he was kind enough to post everything he knows/remembers/can find on the work he did for X-treme).

I think its wonderful the guy can finally work on a Sonic tittle and be able be part of its completion rather than his work being lost to due to stupid disputes within Sega.

Pretty sure Carbo was referring to the ex-Naughty Dog employees working on the game. Also, are you implying Chris Senn is a terrible level designer? :/ If this is based off of X-treme, that was design from an unfinished game started and end almost two decades ago.

george-marks-man-pointing-to-himself-wit

Well then, the only example we've had of his level design is from an unfinished game whose levels are impossible to be figured out. If that actually raises your hopes about the level design of the game, I have nothing else to add.

Wait, 2D? So it has 2D segments like the BOOSTAN Trilogy and Lost World? I'm sure it will be fine.

Within any luck it'll be 2d like v the "2d" levels in Crash Bandicoot.

I like many things about this game; the multiple playable characters, the hubworld, the lush CryEngine 3 graphics, not being made by Sonic Team or bloody Dimps...

What does worry me slightly is the gameplay, which I couldn't get a good impression of in the footage shown. Also, the character models aren't the best but then I'm sure that will be improved upon sooner or later. Still, I remain cautiously optimistic and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well then, the only example we've had of his level design is from an unfinished game whose levels are impossible to be figured out. If that actually raises your hopes about the level design of the game, I have nothing else to add.

Again as I stress that was a game that was not only twenty years ago, but also was on a completely different game design mentality (run around pretty much on any surface of a planetoid-esque zones, whereas this one looks like a much-more grounded platformer).

And I wasn't saying implying the design would be GOOD by pointing that out, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a pile of fresh feces if that was the point you were implying.

Idk, I still can't see what everyone's saying by it looking like the "Unleashed" style. It looks nothing like it; and a "stylized" Unleashed is Generations, anyways. :v

Again I don't think it's the Unleashed/Generations artstyle per se, I thought it was a radical take of one of those two styles. Like they picked something from Generations's Green Hill and ran with it.

"Western approach with Sonic" as you put it was I think how I'm trying to describe it.

How come Art Fenix isn't here yet?

Banned. And that's all I can and will say about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sounds like Big Red button, might become Sonic Team West for this new continuity

I can live happy with that. The more Sonic games (without one team being rushed) the merrier!
  • Thumbs Up 1

Again as I stress that was a game that was not only twenty years ago, but also was on a completely different game design mentality (run around pretty much on any surface of a planetoid-esque zones, whereas this one looks like a much-more grounded platformer).

And I wasn't saying implying the design would be GOOD by pointing that out, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a pile of fresh feces if that was the point you were implying.

I am very skeptic about it, yes. Which makes me skeptic about the entire game, since if the level design and being able to explore the game the way you want is going to be critical to the game's quality and the quality of said level design isn't granted - not even hinted at - I can't put my hopes up, as much as I'd like to.

I just.... I mean, I just dont even.... I really hate this new branding. There are now two Sonic universes, which sounds nice until you realize that means one of them will be eating into the other. Plus, the design discrepancies are going to confuse people.

I dont want to be negative but.... Damn. Just damn.

If that's the case, then may the better handled Sonic franchise deservedly win.

I'm seriously not a fan of the model or even the animation! The characters move like they are made of noodles...

but everything else look pretty keen.