Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Well, he's not allowed to confirm or deny anything

So he probably want everyone to not assume it's Marine

Ming Ming does have a point. It could very well conceivable go either way. Best let not risk letting wool get pulled over your eyes.

Just because Mike posted the odd couple video doesn't mean it's not Marine. He is not suppose to hint, imply or say in any way that it is Marine or not. It's possible that he posted that to throw you off. 

People were saying it was Marine. He responded directly to someone saying that by posting the video which says 'don't assume'.

Also just look at the new clear image, it looks nothing like her. You might as well dig up cartoon clips from The Raccoons and say 'this is Marine, only now she's grey.'

I know some people desperately want it to be her, but it really does look nothing like her and if they do say 'here's Marine' I'm gonna roll my eyes since the changes are so drastic it feels like the're just bringing back a character in name only.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also just look at the new clear image, it looks nothing like her. You might as well dig up cartoon clips from The Raccoons and say 'this is Marine, only now she's grey.'

I know some people desperately to be her, but it really does look nothing like her and if they do say 'here's Marine' I'm gonna roll my eyes since the changes are so drastic it feels like the're just bringing back a character in name only.

...Well that's a drastically, absolutist way to look at it. Please, by all means, elaborate on how it "looks nothing like her". Not saying some people aren't jumping into this declaring it must be Marine, but it sounds like you're just doing the polar opposite.

Please, by all means, elaborate on how it "looks nothing like her".

[...]

but it sounds like you're just doing the polar opposite.

Well actually... If you look at my posts so far, you'll see that initially I did think it was Marine, however after seeing a few people question it, I took another look and decided it wasn't her.

I even posted my reasons as to why several pages ago over a series of posts which included screenshots of both the image and from her official art renders and ingame look from Rush Adventure, which you yourself read and decided to disagree with so don't claim you didn't see it or that I'm just doing it cos when you've actually read my statements and points as to why I don't think it's her. 

It might be, it might not be. He can't confirm or deny anything, but he is making the point to not make assumptions.

Assumptions as to what, who knows! That's the fun of it!

If it does turn out to be Marine, then it's a pretty significant redesign, but to say it doesn't look anything like Marine is just absurd. For the Sonic metaverse to have two orange-and-brown, twintailed, Australia-themed girls...I mean, it's at least worth considering, isn't it?

• Thumbs Up 9

Most heavily-leaning-towards-it-being-Marine advocates like myself have cited Modern Knuckles vs Boom Knuckles as evidence that major overhauls are possible with just keeping a couple of small recognisable similarities between characters, but that's been repeatedly shot down and I've got something better anyway.

cgh5.pnguc80.png

• Thumbs Up 7

Most heavily-leaning-towards-it-being-Marine advocates like myself have cited Modern Knuckles vs Boom Knuckles as evidence that major overhauls are possible with just keeping a couple of small recognisable similarities between characters, but that's been repeatedly shot down and I've got something better anyway.

cgh5.pnguc80.png

Who's the pink Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 7

cgh5.pnguc80.png

there was also a huge gap between  Sonic CD, and adventure if you count out Sonic the fighters as a spinoff, same goes for Espio, wouldn't be the first time a long time not seen character is revitalized

What I'm saying Hogfather, is that I've yet to see a really credible, rational, sufficient reason to say it looks "nothing like Marine" from you.

Sonic fans are silly.

Is there a point to be made here? Or is this just an old weary joke being told again?

Try changing that character's colors to be anything other than orange and brown and it'll be easy to see it's not Marine.

Every character introduced has had the same head structure, and for the most part, the same ideas with it's design. Sonic is fast, Tails is smart, Knuckles is big, Amy is a girl. This new character looks like someone from some tribe away from civilization, her clothes aren't like Amy's, and her head certainly isn't shaped like Marine's...nor are the markings on it. Furthermore, Marine was a FUCKING HORRIBLE CHARACTER. Australian stereotypes, doing nothing, being annoying, and fucking things up. That's all Marine ever did. Whether or not it is her, I don't WANT this to be Marine. It should be someone else, or if it is Marine by some freak chance, make her COMPLETELY THE FUCK DIFFERENT.

Sonic is fast, Tails is smart, Knuckles is big, Amy is a girl.

I'm sorry I know this was far from the point of your post but what

• Thumbs Up 6

Is there a point to be made here? Or is this just an old weary joke being told again?

What can I say? I love the classics.

Ugh... I guess I'd better actually try and contribute now.

I believe without a shadow of a doubt that character is not Marine, for a number of reasons.

1. Mike Pollock's "Assume" comment seems pretty clean cut to me. Unless he really is an asshole and trying to lead us astray, I think he was just twisting his way around his NDA to let us know the character wasn't Marine. 
  2. The game is supposed to focus on Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles & Eggman, according to multiple interviews. With this reinforced focus on the central characters there is little reason for a one-off, DIMPS-made, obscure character to appear. I know it happened in Sonic Heroes with the Chaotix, but chances of it happening then were damn slim too. Not saying it's downright impossible, just that it's really damn unlikely.
  3. Sonic Rush Adventure didn't break any records (Scored a bit lower than Sonic Rush.), so there isn't any real incentive to bring characters from that game to the main series. It's not the fact that she premiered in a mobile game (Didn't Cream and Blaze do that too?), it's that the character  itself was pretty ill-received in that mobile game.
  4. She may share a color scheme with Marine, but I personally just can't see anything beyond that. Maybe it's a redesign, but at that point the question becomes is it really still Marine if they change her look and god-awful personality.
  5. The game seems to be introducing a fuck-load of new characters if the wall of concept art from before bares any fruit, so why not throw in a new main one while they're at it. BRB don't give no fucks.

There is no absolute argument to be made here, I just personally believe the chances of that being Marine are so damn slim it's not even worth considering.

Sonic's team is made up of too many warm colors now, we need more cool. ohmy.png

EDIT: Fuck it, I'll reply to you too.

The entire point of her new design was to streamline her into being more action-oriented.  While Knuckles is the slow powerhouse, she's the acrobatic agile fighter.  Speed, smarts and strength are skills, being the "token girl character" is not.  Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine, especially in cases where the developers have actually talked about how they've made choices to steer away from female characters just being "the girl".

What's the first thing you notice about the team member's designs? For Sonic I see his lanky shape, blue color, and spikes. So I think "Yeah, he's probably the fast guy.". For Tails I see a wrench, a toolbelt, and a small frame. So I think "Yeah he's probably the tech guy.". For Knuckles the first thing I see is his big rippling muscles. So I think "Yeah, he's probably the tough guy." Finally I see Amy, and the first thing anyone notices is the only trait all the other characters share she lacks. She is not a guy; she is a girl.

That doesn't define her as a character though, it's just the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Amy.

Not even sure if this is what was being argued, but fuck it; I typed it too late now.

Amy's design is the generic "girl" archetype.

The entire point of her new design was to streamline her into being more action-oriented.  While Knuckles is the slow powerhouse, she's the acrobatic agile fighter.  Speed, smarts and strength are skills, being the "token girl character" is not.  Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine, especially in cases where the developers have actually talked about how they've made choices to steer away from female characters just being "the girl".

• Thumbs Up 7

What can I say? I love the classics.

Ugh... I guess I'd better actually try and contribute now.

I believe without a shadow of a doubt that character is not Marine, for a number of reasons.

1. Mike Pollock's "Assume" comment seems pretty clean cut to me. Unless he really is an asshole and trying to lead us astray, I think he was just twisting his way around his NDA to let us know the character wasn't Marine. 
  2. The game is supposed to focus on Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles & Eggman, according to multiple interviews. With this reinforced focus on the central characters there is little reason for a one-off, DIMPS-made, obscure character to appear. I know it happened in Sonic Heroes with the Chaotix, but chances of it happening then were damn slim too. Not saying it's downright impossible, just that it's really damn unlikely.
  3. Sonic Rush Adventure didn't break any records (Scored a bit lower than Sonic Rush.), so there isn't any real incentive to bring characters from that game to the main series. It's not the fact that she premiered in a mobile game (Didn't Cream and Blaze do that too?), it's that the character  itself was pretty ill-received in that mobile game.
  4. She may share a color scheme with Marine, but I personally just can't see anything beyond that. Maybe it's a redesign, but at that point the question becomes is it really still Marine if they change her look and god-awful personality.
  5. The game seems to be introducing a fuck-load of new characters if the wall of concept art from before bares any fruit, so why not throw in a new main one while they're at it. BRB don't give no fucks.

There is no absolute argument to be made here, I just personally believe the chances of that being Marine are so damn slim it's not even worth considering.

Sonic's team is made up of too many warm colors now, we need more cool. ohmy.png

I know you said you don't care but just to offer why these arguments don't hold water for me as a Marine-believer:

1. You yourself list a possibility of why this can't be taken seriously.
  2. On what basis were the chances slim for Chaotix?  What happened happened.  Whatever happens here will happen.  There's no "chance" involved.  The developers just make decisions.
  3. The 20th Anniversary Sonic game featured a remake of literally the worse boss fight against one of the most disliked characters from the most poorly recieved Sonic game ever made.  And you think they wouldn't bring back a side character from an inoffensive portable game.
  4. Even if they do entirely remake her, as long as she bears the name "Marine" we know that it is the return and reinvention of the character, which is all us Marine people are arguing.  The "it's not Marine" people are presumably suggesting the design similarities are coincidence, which is what I don't buy.
  5. Uhh... yeah, indeed, why not?
  • Thumbs Up 3

Amy's design is the generic "girl" archetype.

What do you mean by "generic girl archetype?" What's wrong with Amy's new design? I like it, I think it makes her look like she's ready for action while still being somewhat concerned with her appearance, and, from the looks of things, Amy's a lot less the token girl she was before.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's also possible that Pollock was saying "Don't assume this is legit."

Then again, aren't people kinda assuming that he was saying "don't assume it was Marine?" He can reply to any comment and can mean anything.

Assumptions are created by people who truly don't know, but they're trying to be as rational as possible and using what data they have available to make a certain decision.

• Thumbs Up 3