Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I don't think it's Marine. For the main reason, SEGA have never brought back one time characters in the mainline franchises. Chip, Professor Pickle, Marine (though the later 2 are in Archie, but Archie also uses the freedom fighters so...). Marine wasn't even referenced in the Generations trophy room, while Chip and (I think?) Professor Pickle were.

That's what leads me to believe that this is a new character. It may certainly be based off Marine, but I don't think it is her.

They bought back Vector, Charmy(and technicly espio despite his STF appearance)

I wouldn't rule it out 

On the subject of LEGO games, all license based games have to have material to work from.

It's why LEGO Star Wars III was released way after Clone Wars Season 2 had finished its first airing. It's why LEGO Hobbit is only getting the first two films included with the third as DLC. It's why LEGO Harry Potter was split into two.

And remember, the first LEGO licensed game was a Star Wars game, and LucasFilm had direct contact with TTGames, which enabled the story and select scenes to be shown to recreate Episode III's story. And also, the LEGO Star Wars toys had been running since 1999 and had mass critical acclaim. Any further LEGO licensed game that has gone on to be made has had to prove itself with a toy line first.

I just read this on youtube... I laughed at first and... now the more I look at it, I think they have a point.

"If that's a raccoon, why doesn't it have a raccoons tail?"

Ok so... the behind the scenes photo, she has no tail at all.

In the 'my poster' image, she has what appears to be a tail, but, it looks nothing like a raccoons iconic stripy tail. I took a look at the original Marine, Sly Cooper (currently playing that in fact), even Burt Raccoon and his friends from The Raccoons, Rocket Raccoon, hell even that mario power up has it, an iconic stripy tail.

Yet this one, doesn't have it. But, why would you make a cartoon character of a raccoon without the iconic tail?

I still think it is a raccoon just because of the face, it's similar in design to all those I just listed (bar Mario), but the tail is... yeah... thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 1

Clearly she has a dark and edgy backstory and had to severe it to escape from a trap when she was younger.

It's possibly an oversight, or perhaps a design choice: in the Ratchet and Clank series, they made it so female Lombaxes do not have tails. Perhaps Boom's female raccoons don't have tails either?

In before "Sonic characters don't look anything like their species" jokes.

If she's not got a raccoons tail, she's not a raccoon. It's too big a trait to leave out. And that's on addition to the patterns around her eyes.

Maybe she was turned into another species to fit the theme?

It seems weird, downright radical... but she wasn't that important to begin with and so her original traits are somewhat expendable.

Though that would just make me wonder why not make a completely original character, in that case. She doesn't exactly have a huge fanbase.

Maybe she's an orange Koala or something.

Because hey, she's super-duper rippah Australian. Why not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe she was turned into another species to fit the theme?It seems weird, downright radical... but she wasn't that important to begin with and so her original traits are somewhat expendable.Though that would just make me wonder why not make a completely original character, in that case. She doesn't exactly have a huge fanbase.

And you went and wrote out my argument for me. Whatever way you at it, it's weird and makes not one lick of sense.

Uhhhhh...no. That's not a koala design. Sorry. Koalas have round ears, not pointy. Maybe she's a...err..wombat? O_o

I thought Bandicoot as soon as I saw her tail, tbh

Big Red Button's influence is strongly felt, I see.

OK, is there a second picture of Boom!Marine? All I see is the reflection from the camera's flash blocking the are where her tail would be.

OK, is there a second picture of Boom!Marine? All I see is the reflection from the camera's flash blocking the are where her tail would be.

Here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lDHkHFRzrE

Thanks.

Yeah, that doesn't look like a raccoon's tail. I guess we'll see then.

Here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lDHkHFRzrE

That character is obviously female. Judging by her clothes I sort of get the impression that she lives on - is native - to the island where Boom takes place. She might have similarities to Marine but she is definitely IMO a brand new character. Hopefully E3 will reveal all (assuming she isn't just a fan-creation). I actually like her design.

She looks like a badger to be honest.

If she was meant to be a koala, wouldn't she have the nose, which is one of the koala's most notable traits? The Coconut Crew had 'em.

If we're getting concerned about Sonic characters not having anatomy that their species is infamous for, what have you guys got to say about Knuckles

• Thumbs Up 3

Argh that tail...well maybe it isn't Marine, but damn the similarities are uncanny as hell. D:

If she was meant to be a koala, wouldn't she have the nose, which is one of the koala's most notable traits? The Coconut Crew had 'em.

That's what I thought. Not to mention the fluffy round ears that Koalas are known to have.

Actually, if she's a Tasmanian Devil that would be pretty cool.

If we're getting concerned about Sonic characters not having anatomy that their species is infamous for, what have you guys got to say about Knuckles

That an echidna isn't as iconic as a Koala.

Well, at least Knuckles has quills?

Even if they point down like dreadlocks, thus somewhat defeating the purpose of quills...

I was expecting someone to say this.

Raccoons are much more well recognised than echidnas. Practically any portrayal of them includes the striped tail and eye rings. Heck, they were even present that one time there was a raccoon in a Sonic game. And echidnas? They have spines not dissimilar to a hedgehog or porcupine and that was the entire basis of Knuckles as a character.

Guys it was a joke about enchidna penises I never expected anyone to actually respond as if I was actually making a point.  I actually agree that a Raccoon without a trademark tail is weird, for the record.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 6

Guys it was a joke about echidna penises...

This isn't the Twilight zone Jez, don't mention those....things...

But anyway, I don't think that is Marine. The hair style is really difficult, if it was a redesign they would probably keep the overall shape of the character similar. Eggman is kind of stretching it, but all they seem to have done with him is flip the shape of his body upside down and give him a new jacket. If this were indeed Marine, I think they would have kept her head more or less the same as her SEGA!Sonic counterpart.

"I think they would've" means nothing.  We don't know what they would've because we're not them.  I'm pretty sure this time last year people would say "I think they would've kept Knuckles consistent in size with the other characters" or "I think they would've kept Sonic's arms skin-coloured".

I still feel Marine, being a minor, less universally beloved, character, makes her prime target for more drastic redesigns and/or re-purposing for the new story.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

If it is Marine, I'd be curious to see how much they changed about her. For all we know, she could be an entirely new character in all but name and species. Could be that they wanted a raccoon character, and SEGA just decided to use Marine albeit giving her character an overhaul.