Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

That's what I meant.

In no way will the Garden be needed to even 100% the game.

You essentially had to spend roughly half the time in the Garden as you did in the main game to get all of those emblems from it.

Although if you did that, there wouldn't be much point unless you fleshed the Garden out more.

As for a hypothetical Garden in Boom, I feel with the style of play we've seen from it, there would be interconnection between the two.

But a Garden has been denied, so I'll look forward to the game and what other elements it might give out.

Oh, and the Official Nintendo Magazine have a new interview with Bob Rafei which mainly covers things we've heard before. But there was an interesting bit about momentum and the balance of control and speed. I won't give the exact quote, as being a subscriber has netted me the mag almost a full week before the true release [this is usually rare], and I wouldn't want to spoil a part of the mag for anyone still waiting.

Frost, baby, you're breaking my heart here.

Meh, I'm a little sad to here they're, again, not being implemented. We haven't had one in a long, long time. But I guess it's not a big deal, I mean, SA2's garden, while fun, just didn't have much else to it.

Personally, I think Chao Garden should just be a DLC that locks onto the main Sonic games (as of a certain time) and it can transfer your ring collection and potentially animals you save.

Would also be cool if, using a non-modified Chao, petting and caring regularly with a selected character, that's how they grow to look like other characters  -- like raising a non-modified Chao with Eggman will give "Eggchao" or something.

Also with more online play and stuff to do... I like Chao, but it gets boring to sit in one area all day. Raising the things lose value when there's nothing to really do with them.

That would, I feel, satisfy most.

Guess that's fairly off-track though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I guess it would be kind of out of nowhere if they suddenly appeared in this game (since it is a different place) but would be nice if they appeared some time in the future, at least as cameos if not a full chao garden.

I'm absolutely not fussed about the Chao Gardens not making it in, but nonetheless I do wonder if there will be any sort of bonus/side games or minigames separate from the main campaign. Kinda like Sonic 3's bonus stages or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember back in sixth grade I'd walk over to my friend's house and watch her play with her chao garden on the GameCube. Good times.

I will miss the chao garden, though I'm sure that the games got plenty of other content to explore. I understand what Stephen said, it didn't feel right...not this time around. I have to agree with that since this game seems like such a HUGE adventure compared to SA & SA2.

I'd rather they work more on making the main game better than wasting time programing a virtual pet thingy. Although, maybe SEGA can have their smart phone guys work on a Chao Garden game for iOS and Andriod.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would absolutely buy that. Like a Chao tamagotchi sort of thing? Please and thank you.

I think there was a Chao virtual pet thing for some SEGA game service for phones in Japan? They rebooted Sonic Jump from there so maybe it's a possibility.

I'd rather they work more on making the main game better than wasting time programing a virtual pet thingy. Although, maybe SEGA can have their smart phone guys work on a Chao Garden game for iOS and Andriod.

"Wasting time" ... usually when developers add in extra stuff like that, its mainly because they have the free time to do so. If they have the free time after finishing the main game content, then adding extra stuff isn't really a waste of time.

A Chao Garden is a huge feat and in no way something extra that can be made in 'free time' (and to assume there's such a thing as free time is a gross misunderstanding).

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah, something like 30-seconds to a whole minute of the credits in SA1 and 2 are simply listing the team who worked on the Chao Gardens.

An extra character skin, or maybe a "challenge mode" that changes nothing other than giving you a smaller health bar, those are the sorts of things that occur from "free time" - usually time that the devs have not planned for and are doing out of passion for the product.

• Thumbs Up 2

Would say that it depends on the depth of the "extra" addition as well as the amount of time there is and the amount of people there are to work with.

Its not likely for sure, because games have been taking more and more time to develop anyway. Such "free time" is very rare to happen.

Would say that it depends on the depth of the "extra" addition as well as the amount of time there is and the amount of people there are to work with.

Its not likely for sure, because games have been taking more and more time to develop anyway. Such "free time" is very rare to happen.

No, it would definitely require a huge and planned investment of time, money and staff. Something of that nature just couldn't happen on a whim.

At this point, I'm really surprised that Hardlight hasn't released some sort of Chao-related app.

Well, assuming SEGA wants to cash in on the Chao.

• Thumbs Up 2

It really strikes me as surprising that SEGA hasn't tried to turn Chao into its own franchise. I mean, they can exist in Sonic lore and maybe occasionally have a garden in there, but mostly they'd be their own thing.

Then again, I guess this depends on how popular pet simulators are, still.

Though, with Boom, I rather mostly just focus on the main game, but I do love Chao Garden and gives a reason for freeing animals for robots. But hey, far as Boom goes, there's probably no animals being used as batteries.

Just make a 3DS game with no continuity and the like, but with lots of levels, plenty of badniks to destroy to get stuff, and chao raising.

Hell make it a main feature of the Shadow sideseries I wanted.

I really enjoyed the Chao Gardens in SA1 and SA2. I really raised a lot of good Chao back then. I didn't think people would hate it nor do I understand the hate for it. I mean it's optional and you don't HAVE to go there if you want the extra stuff.

From what Stephen said, then it probably was for the best not to have a Chao Garden in the Sonic Boom series, which I can understand.

it'll probably appear in a more happy-ish game i suppose

Sonic Boom isn't necessarily all this epic and serious stuff you guys are making it out to be though, is it? I mean, the artstyle is detailed and on the level of the more serious Sonic games, but the show trailer has proven to us that it's still as lighthearted as Colors, Generations, and Lost World. I think chao are totally applicable to Sonic Boom, even though I can understand that the time it takes to develop the system would push the game back a bit. Let's just hope for it in a future game.

the show trailer has proven to us that it's still as lighthearted as Colors, Generations, and Lost World.

That's the show. This is the game, which had a trailer that implied it'd be more serious than the show.

it'll probably appear in a more happy-ish game i suppose

The two games that Chao Garden, in the past, were apart of weren't exactly happy-go-lucky.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's the show. This is the game, which had a trailer that implied it'd be more serious than the show.

But wouldn't that kinda be a lot of mood whiplash? Like the difference between Teen Titans and TT Go?

(err, but I can already tell that this is of far higher quality than that)

Teen Titans actually has a mixture of the happy bright-side and humor along with more darker themes, character insight and development, and the works.

As such could the likes of the classic series, Adventure games, Shadow the Hedgehog, Unleashed, Colors (bite me), and Lost World.

Titans Go on the other hand, is the show that stays stuck on one side of the extreme.

Seriously, it doesn't have to be a boring matter of plain black or white. Think bigger than that; let the themes, tones and moods work together with balance! Dark and light can go hand in hand given the right execution.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the game will still be very comedic. The falling scene for instance had humor value. The humor's just downplayed in the trailer because it was focusing on the gameplay. It'll probably be similar in tone to Jak and Daxter or Ratchet and Clank: comedic, but serious when it needs to be.

It's a hard point to hit to get the perfect mix of action and comedy, and either way it's not really the atmosphere that matters in the first place, but I suppose if the game is anything like the show, it will be a good mix of both. Actually yeah, do we know if the game and show have the same, or similar, writers?

It really wouldn't be the first prequel or sequel to have a very different atmosphere for the other if they're both different.

And going by some of the interviews, this game has a more substantial story. For instance, they made Eggman this way for him to be more intimidating and threatening to Sonic and when you see him, he's supposed to be a big deal (something I like). However, in the same interview, he also will have some comedic moments. Serious when needed to be, but comedy as well. I think that's what the story will be. More action with comedy elements, where the show seems to be comedic with action elements.

I prefer the former.

• Thumbs Up 2