Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

*Enters thread*

Sticks is awesome and I love her.

*Leaves thread*

• Thumbs Up 1

I apologize for my knee jerk reaction earlier, I'm just generally crabby lately.

I'll give them a chance as a character so long as she doesn't take over the plot. Every continuity to date has had its main characters exclusive to it... Who knows, she may be the next Sally.

So urm... this might be nothing but.... Here is Stick's house.

Boz43oOIAAACiYM.png

Apparently Marine Sticks has been living in this ancient and unknown land for years alone right? And the whole "What is this world" "What is the history of this world"

Well.... Why is there an ancient tribal mask showing a Blaze/Sonic hybrid?

ut1mHK7.png

Am I looking too much into this... or did there used to be a hedgehog like tribe running around?

Since Sonic is the hero with the power of awesome... I wouldn't be surprised if a hedgehog tribe had some importance in the past.

Though if he has any backstory like that, they need to tread carefully to avoid stealing Rad Red's Thunder (Arrow). He's got the whole powerful race that vanished backstory too, presumably.

So...Sticks....*shrug* I dunno. I just don't know what to think of her yet. She could easily be annoying, but hopefully that won't be the case.

Sonic has no texture or lighting whatsoever. But what bothers me most is Amy's creepy smile in the background. Ew.

I find Amy's raepface adorable.

And I may be the only one who likes Stick's voice. That name though.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I first heard Sticks' voice, I'm immediately reminded of of Mike from Mike, Lu, and Og, a show that I loved as kid. <3 I don't mind her voice at all.

As a character though... I don't know... I guess we'll have to wait and see in order to make a better judgement.

• Thumbs Up 5

I second this one, really hope she is an unlockable character(amoung others), I would love to have an extra 4 full characters to shake up the replay a lot, and competitive 

I get the feeling that this hasn't been widely picked up amidst all the talk about the TV show, but Sticks is already confirmed to be a big deal in the games as well:

SEGA is pleased to unveil Sticks, a brand-new character that will play an integral role across all Sonic Boom platforms

[...]

Sticks, a jungle badger who has spent most of her life living alone in the wilderness, will appear in the Sonic Boom TV series, Wii U and Nintendo 3DS video games, and merchandise, forming a common thread across all iterations of the new Sonic Boom world.  Sticks joins Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy to form the core ensemble featured throughout the Sonic Boom franchise.

“Sticks is a significant addition to the Sonic Boom universe and the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise,”

Integral role.  Appears in the TV series and both games and the merchandise.  A common thread across all iterations of Boom.  Part of the core ensemble in all of Boom.

If she's not a major NPC for most of the Boom games, it seems to me that she'll be a main playable character rather than an unlockable.

I'm guessing that she's playable in the game, but won't be available right from the very beginning for story purposes. You'll first encounter her fairly early on, and she'll be playable from there.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I first heard Sticks' voice, I'm immediately reminded of of Mike from Mike, Lu, and Og, a show that I loved as kid. <3 I don't mind her voice at all.

I love how passionate the voice actress is when reading her lines too, she just loves the role and gets really into it. She sold me to the voice.

PS. She did the voice of 'Mike' from 'Mike, Lu and Og'. Her name is Nika Futterman. Hope that makes you happier if you didn't know that.

• Thumbs Up 5

I was just thinking about how her boomerang would work with the Enerbeam thing.

Could be pretty cool, actually.

BOOMERANG BLADE!!

Also, yeah the voice is a little Venellope Von Schweetz, but it's not that annoying. I mean, I've heard worse! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how passionate the voice actress is when reading her lines too, she just loves the role and gets really into it. She sold me to the voice.

PS. She did the voice of 'Mike' from 'Mike, Lu and Og'. Her name is Nika Futterman. Hope that makes you happier if you didn't know that.

Funny thing is I actually did look up Nika's name after making that post. She was also the voice of Lola Caricola from CatDog and Olga Pataki from Hey Arnold.

When it comes to irritating voices, I think that ship was already sailed if Amy's latest performances are anything to go by. And since she has the same voice actress, that may be the case... unless directed otherwise, but not so sure that's gonna happen.

While I'm okay with Sticks as a character in the show and game, her being playable will definitely rub me the wrong way. More does not equal better. I think four is satisfactory. Save her for Sonic Boom Racing. :P

I don't mind her as a playable character as long as she's fun to play and she has cool abilities that will make her stand out.

BTW, I think her voice is kind of cute. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing that would bother me is that I'd know they took time away from making the game to make her playable. They could use that time to make the game even better.

Honestly, while I was a huge advocate for more characters, I only really wanted one or two others playable in a game. Because that's less to handle and would mean they could put their resources only for those one or two, rather than a huge cast, causing the game to be divided up between the characters.

The only thing that would bother me is that I'd know they took time away from making the game to make her playable. They could use that time to make the game even better.

This would be implying that Sticks is a late addition to the game's development, which frankly doesn't make a lick of sense..

• Thumbs Up 1

This would be implying that Sticks is a late addition to the game's development, which frankly doesn't make a lick of sense..

Not really. She could have always been desired, but if all their playstyles are different, then she would also have her own set of levels and what-not.

Of course, several different playstyles would already have me worried to begin with.

Actualy, her being playable would be fun and fine, and I'm not too worried about the game styles, because from what we have seen there are 4 gameplay styles, that all use the same base, and each level is setup for 2 of those gameplay styles, while bosses accomadate everyone

Way I see it is that if Sticks is(and most likely will be) playable, is that she would fall into the same base gameplay base as one of the other four characters, but with various tweaks and some stuff that makes them play similarly yet different

I could easily see there being 4 unlockabl characters, each being a highly tweaked alternate to each of the main characters, and all unlocked post game

SEGA said Sticks would join the others "to form the core ensemble", so really, it would make some sense to have her participate in some way.

As for my view on Sticks herself, I'm liking her so far. She's crazy, but in a good way. I don't really mind her voice, and the fact that she apparently makes weapons by hand is interesting. I hope people don't instantly hate her once the series airs.

• Thumbs Up 4

SEGA said Sticks would join the others "to form the core ensemble", so really, it would make some sense to have her participate in some way.

As for my view on Sticks herself, I'm liking her so far. She's crazy, but in a good way. I don't really mind her voice, and the fact that she apparently makes weapons by hand is interesting. I hope people don't instantly hate her once the series airs.

I agree, and a little bit of further elaboration  I'm pretty sure she meets them in the game, so I imagine she might be NPC for most of the game, perhaps with a playable level or two, but like I said be an alternate you can use post story

On the flip side, Not-ty Dog has a much, much better resume for alternate play styles than Sonic Team, so I guess I shouldn't fret about what Sticks would play like. I'm just concerned about more characters detracting from the quality of the first few characters.

On the flip side, Not-ty Dog has a much, much better resume for alternate play styles than Sonic Team, so I guess I shouldn't fret about what Sticks would play like. I'm just concerned about more characters detracting from the quality of the first few characters.

I'm not worried too much, the fact is that they are all derivative of the same base, each with special abilities, even Sega was able to pull that off back in the day with Streets of rage 2. This isn't Sonic adventure one or two, the gameplay doesn't shift drasticly, just to a point.

The number isn't an issue, if they can get two down, any more is easy

I get the feeling with the time they've put into this, that they've made darn sure to give each character their deserved allotment of care.

• Thumbs Up 4