Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I'd really love to play these maps in vs mode.

@Blue Blood - Sonic can run on water. I'm not sure if this extends to the other characters.

sonicwavesmtjsu.gif

I'm not sure how the character set up works. Sometimes you see all 4, sometimes you see 3/2, and sometimes there's only 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing I am concerned about in that regards though is marketing. I seriously hope SEGA (or even Nintendo if they end up being the publishers in Europe) markets the hell out of that game and make it successful on the Wii U. It'd seriously benefit both the Wii U and any future Nintendo-SEGA partnerships.

From the looks of it, this game has so much potential to become a great entry in the franchise; let's hope the marketing and the subsequent sales are very decent as well.

EDIT: Not to mention, considering this is part of the cartoon series it would be a serious issue if the game wasn't marketed properly.

To be frank, Sega and Nintendo HAVE to push this game (not only due to it looking awesome, but to have the deal they made worth it...I'm sure Sega is regretting this and Lost World being Wii U exclusive :(), so I think they will push this game quite a bit :). Maybe have a Nintendo Direct soily focused on Sonic (with this being center stage with RBG and Sanzaru demoing some levels alongside Sonic Team showing off the Zelda DLC for Lost World and announcing the classic series coming to Wii U VC) alongside having this game be the opening game for Nintendo's E3 Conference (they have to have one at this point...they have to much at stake with the Wii U not to have one).

I also see Cartoon Network having a load of coverage for the cartoon, maybe with showing off some episodes a bit at a time throughout the year starting this summer (they did this with other shows, like Chowder, Adventure Time, How to Train Your Dragoon, ect) and showing off the game every few weeks.

I could also see these new designs to slowly creep their way into other Sega games (maybe as alt outfits for another All Stars game, DLC for Lost World, ect) to advertise the show a bit.

Sega has invested alot in this over the past two years and with talented western teams working on a Sonic platformer, I honestly think that Sega is finally going to be smart about something and really push this game. If not....well, they could lose a talented team(s) to Sony/Nintendo and that would make Sega look silly.....

• Thumbs Up 2

tumblr_n0lbwdOURY1qinqemo1_500.jpg

THEY KNOW HOW TO USE HIS EARS AND BROWS!

About time!

I actually think these expressions look...unfitting.

Even in this new design Sonic's face structure is rather anime-ish, and those expressions are really westernised, it's a part of what makes Archie STH comics also look 'off' to me...

I'd really love to play these maps in vs mode.

@Blue Blood - Sonic can run on water. I'm not sure if this extends to the other characters.

sonicwavesmtjsu.gif

I'm not sure how the character set up works. Sometimes you see all 4, sometimes you see 3/2, and sometimes there's only 1.

Maybe its like the transitional sections to load another location ala Jak and Daxters dynamically loading sections...

Spoilered for bandwidth reasons, but Blue Blood and Autosaver's posts reminded me of this gif;

20636_sonicruncrkmo.gif

People who were worried about the game lacking loops.. that definitely looks like they're running towards a loop. A really huge one!

• Thumbs Up 5

I was trying to pick out the parts that people might not have noticed at a glance. The water running is pretty obvious tongue.png

There's a few recurring objects too. First up, these odd little posts with a spinning orb on top:

12354567805_a23912a313_o.png

And then there's these sort of glowing ring things? Amy runs around collecting them, and another appears by Knuckles:

12355014624_aa35e4debc_b.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm sure Sega is regretting this and Lost World being Wii U exclusive sad.png), so I think they will push this game quite a bit

...Why would they regret it being Wii U exclusive? Nintendo pays them to make a game and they get to pocket all the money.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoilered for bandwidth reasons, but Blue Blood and Autosaver's posts reminded me of this gif;

*snip*

People who were worried about the game lacking loops.. that definitely looks like they're running towards a loop. A really huge one!
The gif isn't loading for me, but assuming it's what I think it is;

"A straight fucking line" is not my idea of proper Sonic level design though.

• Thumbs Up 2

So does anyone know where to find out who is on the team at Big Red Button? You can find a grand total of two names on the website but the pic shows a lot more people in the team. We know who a couple are but a list would be nice, perhaps what else they have worked on. Besides the two obvious ones from the website. Kinda interested in find out out but info on them isn't easy to fins since they haven't got any games under their belt yet.

It's an interesting turn of events that he's wound up designing levels for this game but at the moment that isn't really a selling point, he hasn't actually shipped a Sonic game, and didn't really work so much on designing the levels in extreme.  From my understanding, all of extreme's levels were to be designed by Hirokazu Yasuhara. At the moment he's as unproven as most anyone.  

I'm getting a vibe that this is basically going to be a skylanders or latter day crash bandicoot game that occasionally flings you somewhere.  I don't expect the player to be given control during fast portions.  

tumblr_n0l9xmf4Lk1s9pusko1_500.png

Still faceplanting I see.

They're really acting like this is some kind of memorable tradition that needs to be upheld aren't they.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Just want to intersect here for a moment but look at all that visible level in the background.

This game's levels look huge.

Just hope there's no treasure hunting involved with something of that scale. 

...Why would they regret it being Wii U exclusive? Nintendo pays them to make a game and they get to pocket all the money.

As great as a fit Sonic is to Nintendo's Platforms, the Wii U is struggling a lot with lack of sales and small instal base. Sure, Sonic Racing Transformed did great on Wii U's launch and I'm sure Lost World did okay, but for Sonic Boom to be the success it deserves to be, the game needs to land on as many platforms as possible and to only be tied to Wii U and 3ds makes that difficult to happen :(.

I'm sure the 3ds Version will sell like hot cakes (nobility if Sanzaru nail the gameplay) but I don't know about the Wii U version; if the systems situation doesn't get any better, this game may suffer for it :(.

I dunno, this whole Sonic Boom thing is very westernised. I like the simplicity that came from the Japanese influence but this just feels too far detached from everything up to this point and I don't know if I'll really be able to get behind it.

I'm willing to be cautiously optimistic about what this leads to and I get that it's a completely seperate universe and all but if it turns out to be a massive hit I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up taking over the main canon.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, this whole Sonic Boom thing is very westernised. I like that Sonic has always had very Japanese foundations from everything right down to the core character designs but this just feels too far detached from everything up to this point and I don't know if I'll really be able to get behind it.

I'm willing to be cautiously optimistic about what this leads to and I get that it's a completely seperate universe and all but if it turns out to be a massive hit I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up taking over the main canon.

I don't think that will be the case, as both will co-exist with each other nicely. RBG/Sanzaru making this every 2 or so years will complement Sonic Teams efforts as both will be very different products; the former being very open action adventure games and the later being linear but very fast games (I would not be surprised if Sonic Team just continue to make Modern Sonic games ala Generations/Unleashed with Sonic Boom sort of accomplishing what Lost World was trying to do with the more open levels designs).

The next Sonic Team game has better chances of success with their next game landing on PS4/X1 (aka being a graphical powerhouse like Unleashed and Generations are), so both could co-exist :).

• Thumbs Up 1

Um.. it's been confirmed there is local coop.

Glad to hear. Where was that confirmed? I've been at work. For some reason the players info is TBD on Nintendo's page.

This just screams "Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures".

Yeah...I think I might be done with Sonic.  After Lost World I was teetering, but...this...I don't like this at all.  I'll probably give it a rent at launch, I guess, but pretty much only because the sad, dying child within me is telling me to give it a chance.

I don't see said chance going anywhere, though.

Yeah...I think I might be done with Sonic.  After Lost World I was teetering, but...this...I don't like this at all.  I'll probably give it a rent at launch, I guess.

heya wario, havent seen you around for a while today, and while caution is advised there is this to factor in:

While it is limited a bit by the show, the gameplay is being done by a developer that includes a lot of former naughty dog employees, including the original one, who was a supporting developer from Crash 1 all the way to uncharted 1, SO this game could end up being a very surprising gem

Besides the fact that its being handled by a very competent developer in comparison. Looks can be deceiving. :)

• Thumbs Up 3

This just screams "Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures".

Yeah...I think I might be done with Sonic. After Lost World I was teetering, but...this...I don't like this at all. I'll probably give it a rent at launch, I guess, but pretty much only because the sad, dying child within me is telling me to give it a chance.

Ughh, you summed up exactly what I wanted to say but in a much more bitter and 'that's exactly how I wish I'd written my post' sort of way. Yeah, this basically. Side project or not maybe I'm not as open minded to total reboots as you guys are.

tumblr_n0lbwdOURY1qinqemo1_500.jpg

THEY KNOW HOW TO USE HIS EARS AND BROWS!

About time!

Ok, a pet peeve of mine, the sort of arousal that comes from shock/surprise causes the eyes to dilate, not contract.  Seems like damn near everything does this backwards.   

Yeah...I think I might be done with Sonic.  After Lost World I was teetering, but...this...I don't like this at all.  I'll probably give it a rent at launch, I guess, but pretty much only because the sad, dying child within me is telling me to give it a chance.

Been stated officially that this is just some parallel development they're doing, I guess to confuse their brand or something cause that's all this is going to accomplish.

heya wario, havent seen you around for a while today, and while caution is advised there is this to factor in:

While it is limited a bit by the show, the gameplay is being done by a developer that includes a lot of former naughty dog employees, including the original one, who was a supporting developer from Crash 1 all the way to uncharted 1, SO this game could end up being a very surprising gem

Besides the fact that its being handled by a very competent developer in comparison. Looks can be deceiving. smile.png

Yeah, sure, and Toys for Bob got their start making star control.

Ughh, you summed up exactly what I wanted to say but in a much more bitter and 'that's exactly how I wish I'd written my post' sort of way. Yeah, this basically. Side project or not maybe I'm not as open minded to total reboots as you guys are.

But it's not a reboot; it's a different continuity altogether.