Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I.....beg your pardon?

Toys for Bob started out developing Star Control for DOS and whatever goes with that, Activision happened, and then their most recent games being the first two skylanders games.  Point is, pedigree from a decade ago doesn't count for much.  I've frequently seen cases of teams getting broken up by acquisitions and not able to keep up their quality.  Just look at Wipeout: Some of the team responsible for XL left to make their own company, leaving us with the abysmal Wipeout Fusion and sorely lacking Quantum Redshift.  

I don't really get that 'this is bad because it confuses the brand', it literally takes a few seconds to say 'it's a different timeline.' If people are gonna conflate them anyway then what the heck, things will still carry on as normal.

You do realize that an AU that doesn't change it's character designs would have more confusion, and various Sonic games could be considered AU from each other and that has never really raised that argument.

@Phos

Ok, a pet peeve of mine, the sort of arousal that comes from shock/surprise causes the eyes to dilate, not contract.  Seems like damn near everything does this backwards.   

It's seems to me that it's not quite clear what effect states of emotion have on pupil size...I've actually tried researching it, it doesn't seem quite understood

My thoughts on the wii u version: WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT!!!!!!!!! But I don't have a wii u. sad.png 

As for the 3ds version: I'm holding out on that one till we see gameplay footage or at least some pictures.

Oh yeah in case you guys wanted to see what Sanzaru games has developed: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanzaru_Games

• Thumbs Up 1

Toys for Bob started out developing Star Control for DOS and whatever goes with that, Activision happened, and then their most recent games being the first two skylanders games.  Point is, pedigree from a decade ago doesn't count for much.  I've frequently seen cases of teams getting broken up by acquisitions and not able to keep up their quality.  Just look at Wipeout: Some of the team responsible for XL left to make their own company, leaving us with the abysmal Wipeout Fusion and sorely lacking Quantum Redshift.

Then what about Sanzaru Games? They are responsible for developing the well received Sly 4 title and seem to have a track record for making good games (well not all of course), and they've existed since 2007.

I have a feeling this will be different from what you expect will happen.

I don't really get that 'this is bad because it confuses the brand', it literally takes a few seconds to say 'it's a different timeline.' If people are gonna conflate them anyway then what the heck, things will still carry on as normal.

You do realize that an AU that doesn't change it's character designs would have more confusion, and various Sonic games could be considered AU from each other and that has never really raised that argument.

@Phos

It's seems to me that it's not quite clear what effect states of emotion have on pupil size...I've actually tried researching it, it doesn't seem quite understood

It's bad for Sega, doesn't really impact the quality of this in a vacuum.  From a business point of view, they've found a way to cannibalize their market share with the same franchise by chasing trends.  I get the iea that they're chasing skylanders, but this really reminds me a lot more of Tak, which is ironically inspired by the multimedia mascot pushes popularized by Sonic.  

Then what about Sanzaru Games? They are responsible for developing the well received Sly 4 title and seem to have a track record for making good games (well not all of course), and they've existed since 2007.

I have a feeling this will be different from what you expect will happen.

I don't know what to say about them, save that I head ninja reflex was pretty rotten.  I imagine they've changed since then, but no idea into what.  I've never payed attention to Sly Cooper.  Either way though, they're probably taking a lot of their direction from the console version.  

I really don't know what's up with all the "Sonic Boom will confuse the brand" accusations. Sega has all but said that this will not affect the main canon, and going by the history of the franchise since Adventure, almost damn near nothing from the Western side of Sonic gets into the game canon. Sega West's "Robotnik" name for Eggman (which has since been laid to rest by Generations) and Sonic's love for chilidogs from the cartoons are the only canon emigrants from the Western side of Sonic since the Japanese Sonic canon was established as the official one. Hell, Boom's presence as a franchise spinoff/subseries is probably a (if not the) main reason why the character redesigns for the show (and by extension, the tie-in game) several people are roundly criticizing were made in the first place-to distinguish the two series so nobody would confuse them for being one and the same.

When did Sonic Boom suddenly turn into the Wii U in terms of misleading marketing?

• Thumbs Up 1

I fail to see how this is inspired by Skylanders?

After actually trying the Skylanders sequel, if you told me some of these areas were from the game I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid. They're pretty generic cartoon game worlds with lots of bloom lighting on things. It's not a bad look, but it's one of the more un-Sonic-looking games we've gotten recently. Very little about the style stands out; nothing concerning location, set pieces, or color and pattern schemes.

• Thumbs Up 1

From show producer Evan Bailey's Facebook:

These designs won't be replacing the established look... This is a new "branch" of the Sonic universe that will exist alongside Modern Sonic. I like the new designs a lot. They were developed mostly by Big Red Button, the game developer we're collaborating with on Sonic Boom, with input from Sonic Team and those of us working on the TV series. Hope they grow on you!

So which came first, the game or the show? Or was the show the idea that came first, and the game just found a developer before anything got off the ground. Well, we know who made the designs at least.

I fail to see how this is inspired by Skylanders or chasing trends?

Videogame toys are a rarity or curio -> Skylanders happens -> Multimedia Sonic push outta nowhere.  

This looks way better than Pac-man and the Ghostly Adventures. I don't know where all these complaints are coming from.

• First off, the series isn't introducing new characters I don't care about, like Pac-man did.
  • Second off, the series has writing that seems directed at a slightly older crowd then Pac-man and the ghostly adventures.
  • Finally, Sonic Boom seems to have better animation, and graphical fidelity than Pac-man does.

There are tons of things this show could get right, if you guys would give it a god damn chance. Honestly the writing seems funny and about what you'd expect from a CN show, and it looks down-right beautiful.

• Thumbs Up 8

Every mentions Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, but did you know that Ken Pontac is the writer of the show? XD

Wonder if he has any involvement or Warren Graff.

Also, did anyone notice; the song used in the CryEngine footage, and the beginning of the Sonic Boom trailer, is the SAME song? O_o

Listen to the strings and how they play, particularly in the Boom trailer when the camera pans around Sonic and Co. for the first time.

Coincidence? Or maybe the song is by BRB and they let CryTek use it in the demo and will be in the game? The percussion is VERY Jak & Daxter... you don't think it's the same composer... do you?

CryEngine video:

Game trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0a7-1wdDuw
  • Thumbs Up 1

Geez you guys barely given this the time of day before just quitting. As a Sonic fan since the classics even, you, the ones who keep bashing this mind you, keep deflating this because Western even though THAT'S THE POINT OF THIS GAME. And for all you people who decline change worry me. Sonic has been changing since Sonic 3. The classics all had core gameplay but there was still things like 3D blast, labyrinth, Chaotix. And it was all over the place when we hit 3D and hasn't been consistent yet. Yeah boost but no. Has Lost World 06 and Shadow broken us so much we can't at the very least give it a chance. For a while now everything this game has was wanted by everyone in many topics even on this forum. Multiplayer and multiple characters, characters NOT being cheerleaders, Knuckles having purpose, a REAL STORY, No more nostalgia. But because blue arms and Buffles we can't enjoy it. Give me a break guys. I know we're a diverse fan base but this is plain ridiculous. Sonic might have been dead by now if we hadn't left things behind or changed things. They we're on a roll with the Adventure games they just needed to fix it but they left it and still made good games. So why can't a SIDE, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, PRACTICALLY NEW Sonic have a chance. I wasn't gonna post this but it's aggravating how stubborn some can be. I'm not saying like it but give it a true chance.

Maria would be ashamed (x3)

• Thumbs Up 2

After actually trying the Skylanders sequel, if you told me some of these areas were from the game I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid. They're pretty generic cartoon game worlds with lots of bloom lighting on things. It's not a bad look, but it's one of the more un-Sonic-looking games we've gotten recently. Very little about the style stands out; nothing concerning location, set pieces, or color and pattern schemes.

Well said, which is why cryEngine clip never struck anyone as it could like it was from a Sonic game. Sonic game always had vibrant , distinctive locales(Save 06 and Unleashed's realism) and the closest thing this art style looks sonic-y from is Sonic Chronicles..in fact the game trailer felt a lot like a HD open world location game of Sonic Chronicles..did anyone else get these vibes.

Well said, which is why cryEngine clip never struck anyone as it could like it was from a Sonic game. Sonic game always had vibrant , distinctive locales(Save 06 and Unleashed's realism) and the closest thing this art style looks sonic-y from is Sonic Chronicles..in fact the game trailer felt a lot like a HD open world location game of Sonic Chronicles..did anyone else get these vibes.

I hope it resembles Sonic Chronicles. I loved Sonic Chronicles and that would be exactly the type of story I want from a Sonic game; deep enough but not too dark, and lighthearted enough that its still the humorous Sonic vibe. I can't imagine that being the case, but it'd be nice if it was.

Hmm, I do see the 'generic cartoon world' argument though I must admit, I'm actually thinking the style looks a bit Rayman-ish (before the Ps3 games), but I guess that's because the designs are a bit samey.

I do hope there will be a bit more originality with the aesthetic look.

That HUD really reminds me Crash of the Titans. 

The whole thing reminds me of Crash of the Titans to be honest haha.

It's in development but there seems to be just a health bar and no ring counter..interesting..seems to set itself apart from Sonic's gameplay..if anything werehog comes to mind..just with speedier characters and daytime stages..especially Amy swinging up on the poles..

It's in development but there seems to be just a health bar and no ring counter..interesting..seems to set itself apart from Sonic's gameplay..if anything werehog comes to mind..just with speedier characters and daytime stages..especially Amy swinging up on the poles..

I'd be surprised it it was a health bar. I'd guess it's more something to do with the EtherBeam, or whatever it's called.

Why wouldn't it be a health meter? It's not like they give any shits about making this play like a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 2