Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Completely understandable feelings, Nepenthe. 

It is weird why SonicTeam couldn't just do the things that Boom are doing in the main titles. There's really no reason why the main titles can't have an ambitious story, other playable characters being utilized in unique ways, and probably trying to build the world of Sonic up more and more. Honestly... The only thing that we all can do is just hope that SonicTeam really see the things us fans are liking about the things Boom is doing and hope they try to take some key elements used to help strengthen the main games. Even if SEGA doesn't want to them to directly compete with each others, since that could affect sales for one series drastically, it sure doesn't mean that they both can't learn from each other so they can together make strong Sonic titles for the fans to enjoy. Also, I don't mean that the main titles will completely end up like Boom, they'll probably still stay the main fast platforming titles that we all know them as. SonicTeam have shown before that when they really attack with full force in their games, they really can end up making a Sonic game that quite darn good even if it falls a bit in a few places. I mean, Sonic Unleashed really is a great example. So much passion and dedication clearly went into this title, and while the Werehog bit didn't do as well, there were certainly tons of other things throughout the games that were done right (the hub worlds, interactions with the human characters, how the humans looked, the different pieces of music that capture the essence of the environment you're in, etc). With that in mind, I don't think Iizuka will allow the main titles to get sucked up replaced by Boom (we aren't even sure how successful the entire Boom push will be in the long run). 

Erm... Sorry. I just noticed in the statuses that you weren't really liking the whole Boom taking over the main titles talk, so I wanted to try and say something that would come off as positive to give you a little hope for the future of the main titles. (Not sure how I did, but I hope I helped, even by a tad bit...)

• Thumbs Up 4

Interview Time!

So Enerbeams will be the "Keyblades" of Sonic Boom and apparently the idea revolving around the multiple playable characters is that Sonic is stronger with his friends. (Take harsh note to that Sonic Team). As well as giving equal spotlight to all the characters! : )

Ooh and it sounds like Sonic, Tails, Amy & Knuckles might not be the only playable characters in this game to boot!

• Thumbs Up 7

I just hope they use the back catalog of enemies that have been unused for some time either for the game, the show, or both.Their excuse is always that they have no where to fit them in without upsetting what they have going in the main series, and they didn't fit in with the side games either (even tho i personally think Riders and Generations was a missed opportunity). So why not in this? New universe, clean slate.

Sure have new ones, but there are plenty of fans out there that would love to see old ones return. Hell i would crack up if one episode had Eggman build Scratch and Grounder or something...one of the antho's in the town hub resembling Mighty or Ray, Bean or Bark. Have Nack make a come back for a bad guy or rival role, after all it said OLD and new enemies. Older fans would crack a smile, have a laugh, get some recognition. Easter eggs and cameos are always welcome. With a clean slate and not being as critical as the Sega of Japan main games why not? And it's mostly the western countries that remember and hold onto the "lost" characters due to the Archie Comics and the TV shows we have had here like AoStH and SatAM. Throw us a bone :D

We went from Sonic's friends never being seen during gameplay to Sonic never being WITHOUT his friends, wow.

• Thumbs Up 1

This game has put me on a roller coaster.

Before confirmation, I was slightly dreading that this would be a total reboot. I still hold endearment for the current universe- past games and future potential- and wouldn't want to see it tossed out completely without any regard whatsoever. After learning this wouldn't be the case, I opened up to nearly everything it had. The models look weird in various ways, the environments don't really invoke a Sonic aesthetic, and Knuckles is still Knuckles, but everything else is there: multiple characters actually utilized in an interesting way, co-op, more plot-driven story, perhaps some lore to go around. On paper and from the trailer, the game looks to be pretty awesome, which in turn leads to my current ambivalence for one simple reason: 

There was absolutely no need for an entire universe to be created in order to get these things back in the games. None whatsoever. And with Sega presumably not wanting the two brands to compete directly, I can only imagine that the main line series I'm more emotionally and financially invested in is going to continue in the bare-bones direction it's been going in for the past five or so years. It almost feels like indirect confirmation that the things I like perhaps aren't coming back in the way I really want them to at all, and that just leaves me nervous. The talk of people wanting Boom to take over completely, and people telling me that I'll adjust and there's nothing to worry about; well, that just makes me bitter.

And Sega isn't known for working with a chisel with this franchise, hence Boom's very existence. I really want the game to be critically and financially successful both for the franchise and for Sega, but not necessarily at the potential cost of the main universe changing more towards Boom's style. All in all, I'm happy for what Red Button is doing, but I'm not happy with how Sega told them to go about it. They were so close to hitting the mark.

I'm excited for the TV show though, if anything. Watching the clip in the self-imposed vacuum that it's its own thing makes the actual quality of that much more better. Loved the banter between Sonic and Eggman, and the dialogue and gesture-driven bits of animation are magnificent. It's going to be entertaining, even with those Teen Titans Go-esque episode synopses we got (which is even more fine with me because I like TTG. =P)

But this fucking marketing strategy though.

Nepenthe... I am in COMPLETE and TOTAL agreement with you. WHY exactly did they have to give us everything we wanted... in a NEW continuity? That really, really upsets me.

I want to be able to play as characters other than Sonic in a main series Sonic game. I want to be able to beat the game fully with just Sonic, but I'd like to play as other characters as well with slightly different abilities. I'd like to see a good storyline with good humor all rolled into one. Why can't we have it all?

So far... it seems to be ok, its a dream come true. Now if ONLY it could be the MAIN Sonic continuity getting this treatment. I like the current continuity. Who cares if its a clusterf*** like other people say? MAYBE it is... but there's still a lot of depth there, and they can FIX the old continuity instead of throwing it away for a new one.

Who knows? Maybe Sonic Boom is a sign that they ARE trying to do that. I'm not confident in it at this point, but maybe Sonic Boom's storyline will follow roughly with the original storyline so perhaps it won't be so bad. I'll wait and find out.

On that note, if these AREN'T the only playable characters, that'd be absolutely awesome. I'm fine just having other playable characters for once, but if there's even more, great. As long as all the characters work well, I'm fine with them adding more. The main problem in the past is that Sonic Team couldn't seem to get all the characters working well, polishing the game, and making a good storyline all in one.

I'd love to be able to play as Shadow and Rouge again, and perhaps even Omega for the first time as a solo playable character (not counting Sonic '06, and even then you could never really play him solo). I won't hold my hopes up for it, but it'd be cool if we did get some more. I'd be a bit concerned if there were more than 8 unless they added more as DLC later.

I could see four main characters and four rival characters, but more than that is stretching it a bit; need to make sure the game is good before we worry about adding more and more characters.

I just hope they use the back catalog of enemies that have been unused for some time either for the game, the show, or both.Their excuse is always that they have no where to fit them in without upsetting what they have going in the main series, and they didn't fit in with the side games either (even tho i personally think Riders and Generations was a missed opportunity). So why not in this? New universe, clean slate.

Sure have new ones, but there are plenty of fans out there that would love to see old ones return. Hell i would crack up if one episode had Eggman build Scratch and Grounder or something...one of the antho's in the town hub resembling Mighty or Ray, Bean or Bark. Have Nack make a come back for a bad guy or rival role, after all it said OLD and new enemies. Older fans would crack a smile, have a laugh, get some recognition. Easter eggs and cameos are always welcome. With a clean slate and not being as critical as the Sega of Japan main games why not? And it's mostly the western countries that remember and hold onto the "lost" characters due to the Archie Comics and the TV shows we have had here like AoStH and SatAM. Throw us a bone biggrin.png

Heck yeah, I've been waiting to see Fang back for pretty much ever at this point. That'd be amazing. Not counting on it, but it would be cool.

Has anyone pointed out the Nintendo UK pages?

Wii U:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Sonic-Boom-854758.html

3DS:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS/Sonic-Boom-854765.html

The Wii U page lists the GamePad as the only controller option. Hope that doesn't mean local co-op isn't an option. 

I'm sure there's local co-op, it's more than likely a typo. I do wonder if the Wii U version will make good use of the GamePad, though.

I really do wonder what they have planned for the Gamepad. I remember someone mentioning that they were asked about it but said they'd reveal it later? I mean, it probably won't be MIND BLOWING or anything, but...

Oh, and I'm expecting a minimap of some kind, if the levels are as huge as this trailer makes them look at times, although I could see things being semi-linear (multiple paths and thus a lot of ways to replay the level, but still generally going in the same direction).

Who even cares. It's a spin-off. They're allowed to do things as differently as they want so long it still integrates the same characters and universe it's based off of.

We've seen spin-offs take on entirely different genres and still be wildly successful and well loved.

ku-xlarge.gif

mhm yep that's totally metal gear

Also note that the backlash and utter hate towards another spin-off that gave Rising a popularity boost.

2941624-metal_gear_rising_vs__dmc__devil

While I have some support in this new sub-series, being a spin-off taking risks and different directions is playing Russian roulette. Some are supported for keeping fans in mind, others are hated for giving fans the middle finger.

Though it's funny how Sonic Boom is trying to avoid flipping off fans and keeping them in mind and they still feel like they were told to fuck off. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Who even cares. It's a spin-off. They're allowed to do things as differently as they want so long it still integrates the same characters and universe it's based off of.

We've seen spin-offs take on entirely different genres and still be wildly successful and well loved.

ku-xlarge.gif

mhm yep that's totally metal gear

For what it's worth, I'm still mad that Rising didn't have all that much or good stealth. A spin-off is allowed to be different than the main games, but they should still have the defining features. Otherwise, why make it a spin-off?

Sonic Boom seems to have them, though.

I've just thought of something guys.  I watched the trailer a couple more times now and I think I can safely assume how most of these characters are going to play.  Sonic and Tails are going to play how you will expect with tails having things such a lasers and other gadgets.  Knuckles has to be a bit of a more exploitative type, especially with the being about to dig underground and climb on things.

But I find Amy ATM to be the most interesting.  If you keep your eye on Amy during the scene in the trailer where they are all falling into a pit, you'll see that Amy is the only character to land on her feet in a rather acrobatic way.  I wouldn't be surprised if Amy was a rather acrobatic character in this game unlike the rest of them.

P.S.  That GIF of Tails regretting everything.  Priceless.

But I find Amy ATM to be the most interesting.  If you keep your eye on Amy during the scene in the trailer where they are all falling into a pit, you'll see that Amy is the only character to land on her feet in a rather acrobatic way.  I wouldn't be surprised if Amy was a rather acrobatic character in this game unlike the rest of them.

This is supported by this screenshot:

12354703574_f88eb474cb_o.png

She can clearly swing on poles with her hammer, but as Blue Blood pointed out, there's also that other similar structure below. Perhaps she can balance herself and walk around on it? It's an interesting idea to give Amy a unique ability compared to her friends, aside from the giant hammer of course! At least it makes more sense than invisibility.

perhaps different colours on different objects only work with certain characters.  Pink/purple for Amy, Yellow for Tails... well you get the idea.

The gameplay sounds a lot like a beefed up Sonic Heroes to me, which is fine as I loved Heroes. I hope combat isn't completely mandatory...

While I'm far from confident the game will be great (I'll be honest, it's hard to be confident with Sonic anymore), I can and will stick up for the direction Boom is going in, especially as it's a separate series to the main one.

Kids are no strangers to redesigns and different series' that have different looking characters existing alongside regular ones, this has been happening for forever. Look at Batman, and other popular superheroes, look at MLP even! Sonic, like those, is still very recognisably Sonic, kids might not even notice many differences, for all they know he's just wearing a scarf this time.

As for why they needed to make a new continuity?

As I've said before, a reboot is the best way to make a fresh start. A new start is exactly that, it will hopefully allow expectations and preconceptions to be as clear as they can be, especially for a game with as muddled a history as Sonic. That, and, with this move SEGA managed to sortof solve one of Sonic's biggest issues, he has two completely different kinds of fanbases, one who grew up on the classic games and one who grew up and love the darker vibe of the Adventure games.

It's pretty difficult to please both of those fanbases at once when one half is going "why the heck is there no story here? I'm fed up of this simple shit!" and the other half is saying "Sonic doesn't need a story, it's just embarrassing!"

And you know what? To each their own! They're both right!

With a new continuity like this, one team now has free reign to bring Sonic to new places that are perhaps more story heavy.. while also managing to avoid as much criticism as they would have gotten if it were a mainseries game, and the inevitable confusion that would have ensued if their plots travelled in totally different directions to Sonic Team's. Not only are expectations hopefully more of a clean slate than "WHY IS SONIC LIKE THIS NOW", but Sonic Team really weren't using the plots they set up at all. Following that, two separate devs in two separate regions? It's obvious Sonic Team won't be keen to give their ideas to this western developer when they already have their heads too far up their asses. From a western/eastern fissure perspective, starting afresh and bulding their own continuity is going to be so much easier than communicating with a Japanese developer who most likely does not want to know at all. If both games were established in the same canon, there is every chance Sonic Team just wouldn't communicate and two succeeding releases would end up doing things that made no sense within context of one another. So yeah I think new continuity was necessary.

There's gonna be confusion amongst people at first, but possibly because people are generally used to games either following one idea or changing completely, rather than pulling an Ultimate Marvel. Well, here's an Ultimate Marvel! Hopefully they'll just get used to it!

EDIT: Also why do people think that's Marine? Could just be a new character to be honest, the design looks pretty cool either way.

• Thumbs Up 6

The gameplay sounds a lot like a beefed up Sonic Heroes to me, which is fine as I loved Heroes. I hope combat isn't completely mandatory...

You may be disappointed then. Considering the fact that Knuckles is playable and his whole focus is pure strength now, I think it's safe to assume there will be some "Beat the Bots to continue!" moments.

EDIT: Also why do people think that's Marine? Could just be a new character to be honest, the design looks pretty cool either way.

What is this?  have you seen something that I haven't?

What is this?  have you seen something that I haven't?

A pic posted on the prev. pages:

12356164795_cacf5843a0_o.png

Some people reckon one of the NPC designs on the top row is Marine.

New interview! A few interesting snippits below...

CVG: You're the first Western studio to take on a mainstream Sonic title. How did that come about?

Bob Rafei: Sega came to us in 2011 and they had this big, bold plan that they showed us, and we were really blown away by what they were trying to do, and it fit right in with what we are trying to do as a studio as well.

We had been working with the CryEngine up to that point, and we just decided we can still make it work. Sega wasn't quite sure, but I think that at the end of the day they saw what we can do with it, and everybody seems to be very pleased.

CVG: Four players, four characters. Can we expect some of the collaboration you guys emphasized here?

BR: The game is two players most of the time, but there are hubs and other certain areas where it can be four players all the time. So we mix and match to better fit the game structure, and it also helps out with narrative, as well.

You will be switching between characters. There will never be just one character on the screen. Depending on situations the game will have up to four characters, and sometimes less. You'll definitely get to be able to play all of them.

Do you foresee making more games in this world?
SF: I'd like to, for sure. That's always my dream. It's a very cool world, it's a very interesting mix of characters that have been developed across all of the media. I'd love to explore the world in even bigger and greater ways in the future, if possible.

• Thumbs Up 3

A pic posted on the prev. pages:

12356164795_cacf5843a0_o.png

Some people reckon one of the NPC designs on the top row is Marine.

I see.  I think I know which one they are talking about.  Strange really because it looks more like a tiger than a racoon.

That beaver though with the chef's outfit looks really creepy for some reason.

I have to agree with Nep that it's strange SEGA still doesn't want to do what Sonic Boom is doing now in their modern games, something fans have requested for years which is to add more playable characters and have what looks to be more lore and a good story. They are very determined to keep these series separate, but this does mean that the 2015 game may continue the tradition of bare bones plot, Sonic only, Pontac writing and a possible return to parkour. It is possible that SEGA may take some inspiration from Sonic Boom if the game is a success, but we'll have to see.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also note that the backlash and utter hate towards another spin-off that gave Rising a popularity boost.

2941624-metal_gear_rising_vs__dmc__devil

While I have some support in this new sub-series, being a spin-off taking risks and different directions is playing Russian roulette. Some are supported for keeping fans in mind, others are hated for giving fans the middle finger.

Though it's funny how Sonic Boom is trying to avoid flipping off fans and keeping them in mind and they still feel like they were told to fuck off.

DmC wasn't a spinoff - it's a reboot. False equivalency when compared to Boom, as the situation is entirely different.

• Thumbs Up 1

New interview! A few interesting snippits below...

Poor Traveller's Tales.

And SEGA Technical Institute for that matter. They only worked on one of the (If not the) most popular games in the series.

• Thumbs Up 3