Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Calling this game flat is kind of hilarious after Sonic Lost Curves where everything that wasn't a tube or a planetoid was completely fucking flat and angular "because parkour!"

It's an exaggeration but yeah..

• Thumbs Up 1

This is totally Sky Sanctuary, right?

Skysanctuary_zps48ab0a8a.jpg

Not any more than it's Levitated Ruin or any of a million other sky ruins levels.

Calling this game flat is kind of hilarious after Sonic Lost Curves where everything that wasn't a tube or a planetoid was completely fucking flat and angular "because parkour!"

SLoW being mostly-flat levels wrapped around a tube doesn't make BoomGame any less flat, or any more likely to have momentum physics.

You could still spot a hill faster in SLoW than in Boom, tho'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Calling this game flat is kind of hilarious after Sonic Lost Curves where everything that wasn't a tube or a planetoid was completely fucking flat "because parkour!"

Well both games lack them which blows. It's just a lot more obvious in SLW since the levels are literally blocks. :v

I just really don't see the appeal of the Deadly Six at all. They purposefully lack depth, their designs are hit and miss and just about everything they say and do makes me cringe. That's really saying something given the unbelievable amounts of cheese the series has subjected me to.

Two things bothered me about the Deadly Six; the fact that we still have no fucking clue where they came from, who they are or what they have to do with Lost Hex (which we also know nothing about btw) and how at the end of the game they're just...killed off. Just like that, unceremoniously. And never mentioned again! I don't even want to believe they're dead just because I found it so annoying how they got rid of them like that. That's why I THINK they might return in the next game, because having them there and then killing them off again is just pointless.

• Thumbs Up 3

One. One ramp. In a section showing off character-specific abilities.

That's not momentum physics. That's Sonic using his "spindash" key on the "ramp" door to progress.

More clarification is needed. I'd say you're jumping the gun on this. Let's not judge so quickly as we did before about Sonic Boom now.

And frankly, I still don't support basing the entire game on a whole whopping 45 seconds of trailer-ed gameplay of beta footage at that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two things bothered me about the Deadly Six; the fact that we still have no fucking clue where they came from,

They came from Lost Hex. Why is this a question?

More clarification is needed. I'd say you're jumping the gun on this. Let's not judge so quickly as wee did before about Sonic Boom now.

Thinking this game might have momentum physics is what's jumping the gun. I'm just slapping it down with the evidence we have.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not any more than it's Levitated Ruin or any of a million other sky ruins levels.

We've seen an echidna statue andd Knuckles says the place is paradise, which leads to the assumption that this is Angel Island, which would likely make this Sky Sanctuary.

Did I also mention that this game actually has semblance of a plot thicker than wet tissue paper? That's also awesome.

• Thumbs Up 8

I do not believe even for a second that Sonic Boom will have momentum based physics. I just felt the need to point out that you can level the "everything's fucking flat" complaint at both Boom and Lost World. Sonic Team isn't really setting that much better of an example so I'm not going to suddenly call them out for something like this.

I'm not saying Sonic Team's recent games are really any better at this, though! Boom isn't doing it, SLoW didn't do it. I'm not disappointed because Boom is failing to do what Sonic Team's games are doing, but because neither of them are doing what I think they should be doing.

The levels in Boom are more likely to keep my interest just off of the ability to explore them with multiple playable characters in a similar fashion to Sonic 3 and Knuckles.*

I can't see how it's "in a similar fashion" beyond the "has multiple characters" aspect...
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did I also mention that this game actually has semblance of a plot thicker than wet tissue paper? That's also awesome.

A narrative-driven story, with the gameplay actually tying into it with. And to sweeten the deal, better voice direction and communication between writers, VAs, devs and the like!

A bit late, but I'm not sure if the development team for Sonic Unleashed- the last game I was in love with- has changed so drastically within the past five years to warrant labeling current Sonic Team "in name only" in regards to that era. That kind of reshuffling in that amount of time would've probably had far bigger consequences and more news on it than the output of just blander games. If it's true that it's more than likely the same team, that's just even more frustration because we're dealing with a team that is the most technically competent they've been in years. This situation reeks just as much of "let's test these 'potentially PR nightmarish' concepts on a spin-off first" as it does on "Sonic Team is incapable of doing the same thing." 

And the icing on the cake to top it off is that all of the things people have been saying you need to introduce back in and rework at a speed a glacier could outrun- characters and an interesting use of them, co-op, story and lore- are being pretty well-received right off the bat, and I knew it. The positive reception to things I've been saying are not inherently toxic goes into what I've been screaming for years. All you have to do to make people warm up to these ideas is to just do a good job on developing and presenting them. To me, this isn't rocket science.

• Thumbs Up 4

I do not believe even for a second that Sonic Boom will have momentum based physics. I just felt the need to point out that you can level same the "everything's fucking flat" complaint at both Boom and Lost World. Sonic Team isn't really setting that much better of an example so I'm not going to suddenly call BigRedButton out for something like this when it's the first Sonic game they've ever made in their lives.

The levels in Boom are more likely to keep my interest anyway just off of the ability to explore them with multiple playable characters in a similar fashion to Sonic 3 and Knuckles.* Did I mention how fucking nice it was to have a game with multiple playable characters who can all play the same levels? It's really fucking nice.

*I just made a legitimate comparison of a new Sonic game to Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The world is ending.

Horrible time for me to run out of likes. But yeah, I can't help be agree with this.

Too bad it doesn't resemble a Sonic game enough for me to care about the plot being much thicker than said wet tissue. :'v

I still don't get why that's even the case.

We've seen an echidna statue andd Knuckles says the place is paradise, which leads to the assumption that this is Angel Island, which would likely make this Sky Sanctuary.

We've seen a statue that may or may not be an echidna and a character we haven't conclusively identified saying something that doesn't necessarily imply Angel Island.

I'd like it to be Angel Island because I think that'd be a cool place to start the Boomverse but I'm not seeing enough to confirm it yet.

So I was wondering, in the beginning of the trailer we hear,

"What exactly is this place?"

"This, is paradise"

Who are the characters saying these lines? It's really confusing me. 

A bit late, but I'm not sure if the development team for Sonic Unleashed- the last game I was in love with- has changed so drastically within the past five years to warrant labeling current Sonic Team "in name only" in regards to that era. That kind of reshuffling in that amount of time would've probably had far bigger consequences and more news on it than the output of just blander games. If it's true that it's more than likely the same team, that's just even more frustration because we're dealing with a team that is the most technically competent they've been in years. This situation reeks just as much of "let's test these 'potentially PR nightmarish' concepts on a spin-off first" as it does on "Sonic Team is incapable of doing the same thing." 

And the icing on the cake to top it off is that all of the things people have been saying you need to introduce back in and rework at a speed a glacier could outrun- characters and an interesting use of them, co-op, story and lore- are being pretty well-received right off the bat, and I knew it. The positive reception to things I've been saying are not inherently toxic goes into what I've been screaming for years. All you have to do to make people warm up to these ideas is to just do a good job on developing and presenting them. To me, this isn't rocket science.

Yeah, i'm honestly expecting the next gen game to pull out all the stops and be their biggest game since unleashed really. Even though its not too likely I would guess that they will use sonic boom as kind of a way to gauge interest on what works like SLW and unleashed and then compile all that in the next game.

So I was wondering, in the beginning of the trailer we hear,

"What exactly is this place?"

"This, is paradise"

Who are the characters saying these lines? It's really confusing me. 

Sonic says the first line, Knuckles says the second line.

You know, we could not make the assumption of momentum physics either way based off of tiny sections of footage that last a mere couple of seconds each and wait until we have something a little more concrete.  As in we don't assume either way, we simply wait and open our minds and try not to draw hasty conclusions on a tiny teaser because in the end we'll end up being wrong either way.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's make the assumptions based on not only the 45 secs of footage but also the screenshots, then.

Look at that, it's still all flat.

You know, we could not make the assumption of momentum physics either way based off of tiny sections of footage that last a mere couple of seconds each and wait until we have something a little more concrete.  As in we don't assume either way, we simply wait and open our minds and try not to draw hasty conclusions on a tiny teaser because in the end we'll end up being wrong either way.

Precisely. Nothing wrong with a little speculation here and there what with how little we've seen of the actual game.

Well if Boom proves successful, it might give Sonic Team the incentive to actually fucking try this time.

Sonic says the first line, Knuckles says the second line.

Nope, Knuckles says the first line. Dunno who says the second one, possibly an original character for the game,

Unfortunately though, Unleashed is to me and to many others one of those failed attempts at getting it right first. I know a lot of people love Unleashed, but a lot of people also love Heroes, Lost World, other games with mixed reception. Unleashed was generally badly received, Unleashed, to me, demonstrates exactly what I was talking about just as well as any other game since does.

I don't care how technically amazing Unleashed is, as a game (what matters), it's not amazing. It's not good enough, we have no reason to "settle" for it. Sonic Team can work their way around graphics and music. So what? That's clearly not helping them get better at game design! Hire more game designers!

And it's not rocket science, and everyone has always known it. Jak, with its story, was always well-received despite being out at the same time as story-Sonic games. The story-Sonic games just weren't well done. There's a very big difference between a good story and a bad one, and most of the world outside the Sonic fandom consider the Japanese Sonic stories to be pretty cringeworthy! The reality is, those things always could have worked, but Sonic Team can't even tell a basic story well right now, and Unleashed's story from a critical perspective was awful even if it's generally inoffensive and harmless fun.

Fair enough if you love Unleashed, but again, Sonic isn't just for Sonic fans, and for most of the world it was far from being good enough. Sonic fans don't need to settle for second-best either, we're just so used to it by now that we will defend Unleashed while attacking games with genuinely impeccable game design from other franchises at the same time! Sonic Unleashed wasn't good enough. If it was, the critics would have had no problem liking it, other gamers wouldn't hate it. We can talk about critics being biased as much as we want, but at the end of the day a genuinely fun game is difficult for such a huge majority to call "no good".

I don't think she was so much "trashing" other games, but rather venting her frustration on how Sonic Team can make a good game, her example being Unleashed, but rather they just refuse to do so. I think Nepenthe knows very well how divisive Unleashed was, but her ultimate problem is that they didn't even bother to improve it in a significant way to appease the ones that hated it.

Basically, its less "Fuck Sonic Boom for doing what I want" and more "Sonic Team why the fuck can't you do what I want".

• Thumbs Up 6