Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I've always wondered this. What do folks mean when they say something doesn't look or feel like a Sonic game?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm serious; the games change so often I don't think there really is such thing as "feeling" like a Sonic game apart from some supposed representation of speed. Beyond that it's only the characters themselves that really seem to tie the games together.

Its mostly the backgrounds and environments that get me, even though im pretty sure the full game might prove me wrong, the levels and environments somewhat looked more like a next gen crash game which isn't bad by any means but it doesn't look all too sonic-y to me either really. Once again though I'm hopeful the full game will prove me wrong but for now it seems to not look much like a sonic game except for the characters and rings.

I never really noticed the details a lot of others do, so that's on me.

Blue arms? Didn't notice. Characterisations in Lost World? Didn't see anything really stick out. That the actual stage design eludes me isn't too surprising, since I tend to focus more on the gameplay, story and characters, though even that can be somewhat shaky.

I'm usually the optimist in any group. If I point out a flaw it must be particularly glaring. Case in point: that clip which shows them all back to back. What happened to Sonic's legs? He looks like Jack Skellington with how awkwardly lanky they are; they should go for more cartoony physics and make them curved rather than upper and lower legs connected at a joint.

...Now I'm wondering if the cartoon will have musicals but that's another topic. Oh somewhere deep inside of these quills, an emptiness began to build... tongue.png

Why wouldn't it be a health meter? It's not like they give any shits about making this play like a Sonic game.

Diogenes, could you stop being a cynic for five minutes?

Not any more than it's Levitated Ruin or any of a million other sky ruins levels.

Aside from the artstyle, it looks almost exactly like Sky Sanctuary in Generations.

Nothing has changed there, though. =P

I really hope that was a joke.

Sonic 2015 is bound to have multiple playable characters, since I get the hunch it's another All Stars title. SEGA values their anniversaries if nothing else, so we can presume 2016 will be special; a spin off in 2015 would help save resources for 2016.

I think it'll also be racing given Boom looks to fit the party adventure genre of spinoffs. All Stars Racing, I think, is going to become SEGA's answer to Mario Kart in terms of regularity and very likely success. Releasing in 2015 also avoids conflicting with Mario Kart 8, the same way Transformed releasing after Mario Kart 7 avoided conflict.

Though overall I hope that Boom's success does convince them to use more characters in the 25th anniversary.

I've always wondered this. What do folks mean when they say something doesn't look or feel like a Sonic game?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm serious; the games change so often I don't think there really is such thing as "feeling" like a Sonic game apart from some supposed representation of speed. Beyond that it's only the characters themselves that really seem to tie the games together.

Well it's inherently a nebulous and personal concept, but the fact that the games have changed wildly over time doesn't mean there isn't a "Sonic feel", it just means that there was a point where the games stopped having that feel and started doing a bunch of different things.

For me, without going off on too much of a rant, what "feels like Sonic" is colorful, stylized environments (especially with repeating geometric patterns, GHZ dirt and the like), level design with lots of curves and layers, and gameplay primarily about fast, fluid movement. SLoW, in spite of its other failures, hits most of these points, while Boom so far appears to hit basically none.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys.  I'm currently trying to make a second thoughts video on Sonic Boom ATM so my full thoughts on when I have calmed will be on there.  Don't worry I'm still excited, I've just finally had some time to think about what might be a problem with the game and my full thought on Sonic Team and why I'm excited and BigRedButton Entertainment doing rather than Sonic Team.  That should please you Superlink.

Sonic 2015 is bound to have multiple playable characters, since I get the hunch it's another All Stars title. SEGA values their anniversaries if nothing else, so we can presume 2016 will be special; a spin off in 2015 would help save resources for 2016.

I think it'll also be racing given Boom looks to fit the party adventure genre of spinoffs. All Stars Racing, I think, is going to become SEGA's answer to Mario Kart in terms of regularity and very likely success. Releasing in 2015 also avoids conflicting with Mario Kart 8, the same way Transformed releasing after Mario Kart 7 avoided conflict.

What exactly gives you any idea that any of this is going to happen? Anniversaries don't really indicate when we're going to get All-Stars games. They come out whenever.

Well it's inherently a nebulous and personal concept, but the fact that the games have changed wildly over time doesn't mean there isn't a "Sonic feel", it just means that there was a point where the games stopped having that feel and started doing a bunch of different things.

If there was a point of consistency, when was it last seen, however?

If it was in the mid-90s (just as an example), then I feel it has (and should have) about as much bearing on the modern franchise as SatAM, or Nack the Weasel. Unless the Sonic feel was relatively recent, there's no harm done in disposing of it entirely, given that the only folks who will remember it are the older fans.

What exactly gives you any idea that any of this is going to happen?

Guess work. And the fact Transformed was a pretty big hit so I see no reason SEGA wouldn't produce a sequel. Skipping this year was a good idea to avoid competition with Mario Kart. Looks like they're rolling with a more party-esque co-op game for this year instead, not a bad move.

As for the 25th anniversary being big, pass or fail, SEGA usually tries to make those releases important.

If there was a point of consistency, when was it last seen, however?

Lost World. You best ask when was it last NOT seen, which would be Sonic 06, arguably.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never really noticed the details a lot of others do, so that's on me.

Blue arms? Didn't notice. Characterisations in Lost World? Didn't see anything really stick out. That the actual stage design eludes me isn't too surprising, since I tend to focus more on the gameplay, story and characters, though even that can be somewhat shaky.

I'm usually the optimist in any group. If I point out a flaw it must be particularly glaring. Case in point: that clip which shows them all back to back. What happened to Sonic's legs? He looks like Jack Skellington with how awkwardly lanky they are; they should go for more cartoony physics and make them curved rather than upper and lower legs connected at a joint.

...Now I'm wondering if the cartoon will have musicals but that's another topic. Oh somewhere deep inside of these quills, an emptiness began to build... tongue.png

Oh yeah, trust me, I didn't even really notice most of that stuff either (except the characterization thing) this is probably the one instance where I really notice anything too different with the environments since ive been playing R&C lately :)

Lost World. You best ask when was it last NOT seen, which would be Sonic 06, arguably.

That sold poorly, though. This isn't convincing me that the Sonic feel is a good thing to go after. From a marketing perspective, at least.

Oh yeah, trust me, I didn't even really notice most of that stuff either (except the characterization thing) this is probably the one instance where I really notice anything too different with the environments since ive been playing R&C lately smile.png

Provided flaws aren't obviously glaring I tend to not notice them; this is why the weird legs of Boom stick out to me the most. They didn't look right even in the trailer on first glance. A lot of things require closer scrutiny to see that they're wrong, but the legs had me the first time I saw them.

Well I think I'm about done here. I can't take how rampedly some can stomp on something thats barely been seen and how people think that what they want in Sonic is apparently the Sonic-y feel. I can understand but grimly disapprove. It's like critizing Sonic Riders about not having platforming. I'll be back to this abit later. When my brain calms down. ..

I've been thinking about this for a bit, so I'm just going to post my thoughts.

I'm pretty excited for this.

I thought I'd be disappointed at first with this at first, but the more and more I think about it, the more and more I realize that I really don't care about the current games outside of Colors and Lost World  (and even if I did, we're still getting games from that continuity anyways it seems).  Sonic Team never really gave me a world I actually cared about, even when they tried, so yeah, I'm excited to see some fresh blood doing a new take on Sonic.

It's not just the game I'm excited for though, the cartoon, the toys, generally how SEGA's trying to bring Sonic back into the spotlight with the western audience.  We'll have to wait and see how it goes, because it might turn out to be a colossal failure in the end, but the idea of Sonic having a much larger presence here excites me anyways.

That said, I'm not too entirely sure the point of all the bandages and stuff Sonic's currently wearing.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well if Boom proves successful, it might give Sonic Team the incentive to actually fucking try this time.

Yeah, Sonic Team NEVER tries to make a good game these days. They've been experimenting with different gameplay and concepts and adding depth and polish to their games. Such a crappy dev team. (sarcasm)

That sold poorly, though. This isn't convincing me that the Sonic feel is a good thing to go after. From a marketing perspective, at least.

It didn't sell poorly, actually. Especially when considering the platform.

Regardless, if Lost World is all it takes for you to say "I don't think Sonic should feel like Sonic", I'm afraid I have to question why you're a fan in the first place? Or were, since now of course you can say "because I like Sonic Boom".

Yeah, Sonic Team NEVER tries to make a good game these days.  They've been experimenting with different gameplay and concepts and adding depth and polish to their games. Such a crappy dev team.

Im kind of beside myself when I can't tell if that's genuine or sarcasm (ill assume the latter) but I for one do get rather miffed whenever the implication of Sonic Team not activley TRYING to make good games is somhow legitamite just because they dont make the kind of games that appeal to "you" specifically.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regardless, if Lost World is all it takes for you to say "I don't think Sonic should feel like Sonic", I'm afraid I have to question why you're a fan in the first place? Or were, since now of course you can say "because I like Sonic Boom".

Or he is possibly going to say he loves the whole concept behind sonic.  The idea of a really fast character doesn't exist with sonic being the only exception, and even if their our others out they, they aren't the main protagonist in the franchises.

Point is you don't have to like sonic game to say you are a sonic fan.  He has a heck of a lot media out their than just games.

Im kind of beside myself when I can't tell if that's genuine of sarcasm (ill assume the latter) but I for one do get rather miffed whenever the implication of Sonic Team not activley TRYING to make good games is somhow legitamite just because they dont make the kind of games that appeal to "you" specifically.

I took it as blatant sarcasm. Auto's basically arguing against the notion that Sonic Team isn't even trying. Auto is saying that this isn't correct at all; Sonic Team's actively looking to expand the brand and make it enjoyable overall, and recent titles have been very well-polished as well especially compared to the likes of Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and especially Sonic '06.

At least that's the way I took it. :P

Im kind of beside myself when I can't tell if that's genuine of sarcasm (ill assume the latter) but I for one do get rather miffed whenever the implication of Sonic Team not activley TRYING to make good games is somhow legitamite just because they dont make the kind of games that appeal to "you" specifically.

I don't think it's the whole it doesn't appeal to certain people.  For example, myself.  I started disliking them because just when they had a formula that worked with Sonic (Sonic Generations), they then go off and completely change it (Sonic Lost World).  There was a lot more Sonic Team could have done with the unleashed formula such a playable characters and yet they choose to take a risk that didn't need to be taken in the first place.  Anyway the point is that we all have our reasons for disliking or liking Sonic Team and who are we to judge.

I don't think you honestly have the right to even ask this, when there are fans of Sonic in all different forms, and what exactly makes him less of a fan for liking Sonic Boom?

I love the spin off titles more than the main series games, I also like 3D Sonic better than classic, are you going to question why I'm a fan in the first place?

I think Sonic Team does try to make good games...it just seems like they can't consistently do that.

Unleashed is one part great game and another part average/mediocre, Colors was great but too short and didn't have enough 3d platforming (even though some zones like Asteroid Coaster/Starlight Carnival showed that it could work) and Generations so frustrating with it missing so much potential (with the game nailing the gameplay and being so much fun, but not having a story what so ever and having really stupid picks for stages...really Sonic Team, you want to have 2 city zones and a Green Hill clone representing the Dreamcast era...really?).

I don't know about Lost World (since I don't own a Wii U) but it really is a shame that have had so many chances to make a amazing Sonic but never meet that quality the Genesis games had.....

It's a shame that no developers who experiment with different gameplay and concepts ever get it right first try and always have to release a few bad to middling games before anything passable comes out.

Oh wait

340350293_640.jpg

mmlogo.jpg

Naughty_Dog_logo.png

Sumo.jpeg

level_5_logo.jpg

Trying isn't good enough when a large portion of the industry puts out quality games more consistently without needing to "try their best..!"

No one has to defend these devs and say "guys come on they tried" when their games are consistently good always. I'm glad Sonic Team are trying, but I can't say I'm glad that I'm still expected to put up with second best when other devs get it right first try. In the time ST have been trying to "make Sonic good" again, those other devs I mentioned have launched multiple new IPs that are all goodRight away.

You hit the nail on the head man; so many great teams make some great original IP the past year alone that easily outclasses Sonic Teams output.

Tearaway, Mario 3d World, Pupetter, Rayman Legends, and many others are platformers with great original ideas alongside great gameplay, and Sonic could have that same thing. Maybe with Sonic Boom and Sonic Teams 2015 game, that could happen again :).

• Thumbs Up 3