Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Well let's not get too hasty, now. I'm actually excited to get this game myself now and that would be lovely, but I think that's a rather lofty expectation to have. tongue.png

Dude, 3 days ago, a Sonic game of Boom's apparent caliber was a lofty expectation. Without ST holding it back or playing it safe this time, I'm rather confident.

• Thumbs Up 1

You do make a good point....we don't know if the tech guys from Naughty Dog are at BRB, so it being 60FPS may not happen. But the game's animations look very stretchy and cartoon-ish like the Jak games, so we at least know that the game will run great even if it doesn't run at 60FPS (fully locked 30FPS is great, just look at AC IV on PS4 to see how smooth it could be smile.png).

Oh, I'm fine with 30fps. 60 is fantastic and preferable whenever possible, but depending on the game I'd rather have fidelity and detail.

Dude, 3 days ago, a Sonic game of Boom's apparent caliber was a lofty expectation. Without ST holding it back or playing it safe this time, I'm rather confident.

Just don't be too bummed out when it doesn't happen. :P

Just don't be too bummed out when it doesn't happen. tongue.png

Meh, I'll be fine with a crisp 30 fps as well I guess. I'm just not as afraid of being deprived of 60fps as I would be if Sonic Team were in charge of this one.

We do have 2D sections in the game and the 3D exploration is all about that.

Hah, even in the Boom continuity there's STILL 2D sections.

It might be "2D" like the "2D" levels in Crash Bandicoot which still technically functioned as 3D levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, considering the developer behind this, expect this:

Rather than this:

To be the main influences for the potential 2d levels. They were always fun in the Crash games, so I'm sure that they will be fun here :). Maybe they will even have momentum physics from the classic games here biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 3

...I'm still salivating at the thought of this beauty at 1080p and 60FPS. It already looks so gorgeous and silky smooth, and yet it can get even better?!

Oh, right! The 2D discussion. Yeah, I'm not worried. I specifically recall the second Crash game as experience, and those were pretty fun when they showed up.

• Thumbs Up 1

where exactly did you get this information from may I ask?

Also the whole 1080p and 60fps thing.  I can only hope the game is like that.  For a game that is bound to a least have some speed in it, it would be nice.

I really hope this comes out this year. Well, it probably will to tie in with the show. They said they're revealing more soon? Nintendo Direct?

Kellie of SEGA Forums said they'd definitely be revealing more at E3. When is that this year anyway?

Between the show launch this year (and this supposedly being a prequel to it) and the Wii U desprete need of software, I really think this will launch sooner than we all think :). This game has already been in development for 2 years already (I think it started after Generations was finished....), so it's probably in it's final stages of development. I really think this will be the showcase game for Nintendo's E3 this year; the game that shows off how powerful the Wii U is along the "big" example of 3rd party support for Wii U (think about it; former Naughty Dog guys working with a Japanese IP exclusively on a Nintendo platform....talk about ironic man :)).

I think it will be out well before October; a July/August launch makes a lot of since (people will have time to learn the new shows back story and fill in the large gap in Wii U software)

Y'know, it'll be gracious if they end up delaying the game so as to see it out to its full potential and NOT rush it for a holiday release.

Y'know, it'll be gracious if they end up delaying the game so as to see it out to its full potential and NOT rush it for a holiday release.

But its not like it just started development this year; its been in the oven for some time. And its not like its from a developer who is struggling with HD hardware, this is from a Western studio who must know alot about modern tech (they are using one of the most impressive tech engines out their, so they must know what they are doing :)) and are fimilar with deadlines (Jak 2 only took 2 years to make, along with Jak 3 taking one year to make; plus the Ratchet guys on the team are fimilar with making games yearly with all the Ratchet games taking 1-2 years to make), so it is realistic to expect the game to arrive this year :).

I don't want it to be rushed either, but its been in development for a while and I would imagine Sega and Sanzaru are helping out as well (they can't just be making the 3ds version, they probably have some staff helping out BRB making the Wii U version).

I think it will be fine :).

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, you can never be too careful. From what I've heard Lost World had a similar amount of time but still ended up rushed.

But its not like it just started development this year; its been in the oven for some time. And its not like its from a developer who is struggling with HD hardware, this is from a Western studio who must know alot about modern tech (they are using one of the most impressive tech engines out their, so they must know what they are doing smile.png) and are fimilar with deadlines (Jak 2 only took 2 years to make, along with Jak 3 taking one year to make; plus the Ratchet guys on the team are fimilar with making games yearly with all the Ratchet games taking 1-2 years to make), so it is realistic to expect the game to arrive this year smile.png.

Now that tidbit does reassure me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brainscratch impressions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPWGPnPLAWs

Note in advance, they're actually pretty positive.

Hmm, it sounds like Sonic 2 + Sonic Adventure + Sonic & Knuckles + Knuckles Chaotix + Sonic Heroes = Sonic Boom. Sounds sweet!

• Thumbs Up 1

From the stuff Carbo posted they actually sound pretty dedicated to making it good above all else. "Extensive playtesting"?

I can't not like the sound of that. Sigh.

• Thumbs Up 9

Why WOULDN'T they want to make the game good? Big Red Button is comprised of people from teams that were directly inspired by Sonic games. Anyway, I'm actually digging the whole Knuckles Chaotix enerbeam gimmick. It certainly handles the 2-player co-op thing without constant warping.

• Thumbs Up 8

I wonder if the co-op flinging thing can be used to screw the other player(s) over. I mean, we all know it isn't really co-op in a game if you can't be a jerk to your friends. ;P

Why WOULDN'T they want to make the game good? Big Red Button is comprised of people from teams that were directly inspired by Sonic games.

I know it should be obvious, but like, if you told me that some Sonic Team games did things like this;

Through extensive play-testing we settled on the right balance of opportunistic moments in combat and co-op environmental puzzles placed at key moments that are meaningful to the player.

I would probably have a li'l chuckle.

Of course, this could very easily still be PR spouting, but I want to believe. Extensive playtesting to make sure something works or is good is.. nice. And probably not as common as it should be.

Well, you can never be too careful. From what I've heard Lost World had a similar amount of time but still ended up rushed.

Now that tidbit does reassure me.

I don't know where you heard that, but that's not true. The game was practically complete by E3, the only changes they made afterwards were minor ones like camera angle changes, red ring locations, and so on.