Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

And why should I trust these new guys to understand how speed works in Sonic, and not just fall back on more traditional platforming/action game mechanics and stick some speedy gimmick sections in like they're just filling a quota? Especially when that's what it looks like from the trailer.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well the Sonic series, maybe. But like you said, this isn't necessarily your average "REAL" Sonic game.

This is the new Sonic Boom series we're talking about!

Still Sonic :P

Seriously though, we know that Sonic Team have some kind of involvement in this. It's entirely possible that they'll tell BRB to do something that will screw up the game.

And? It's already been all but proven that it's not gonna be like a normal Sonic game and more like Fast & Daxter, so to expect them to go out and make certain mechanics play like Sonic is a stretch, lol.

In all honesty, as long as the game is fun and well made, I don't mind. But they said their inspiration is Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Generations, so I'm hoping for some speed at least.

• Thumbs Up 6

And? It's already been all but proven that it's not gonna be like a normal Sonic game and more like Fast & Daxter, so to expect them to go out and make certain mechanics play like Sonic is a stretch, lol.

Based on one beta trailer, no it isn't.

I know they have some backup stance regarding bringing up Adventure and Generations (what with 2D sections or heavier character / story things), saying that your team is primarily inspired by the most famous 2D game, the first 3D game and whats considered the "best" 3D game just seems like really general statements for inspiration sources. :v

There could more to it than that, but going by how non-average-Sonic this game is looking like, I don't know.

Based on one beta trailer, no it isn't.

We could always wait for more footage, but I mean.. I'm gonna be honest, it's not hard for me to judge or understand how this may control from the footage we've got, at least. Especially after playing ND/Insomniac's games.

I never did consider 30 seconds of beta footage, the smartest base for judging a game and how it controls.

We were able to (mostly) judge Sonic 4's control quality on 30 seconds of chopped up footage back in 2010, so it doesn't seem like a stretch. I'm not even saying it's gonna play bad like that did, just that it's most likely not gonna keep most of the conventions of Sonic gameplay.

I meant in the means of making a rash conclusion based on said 30 seconds of a currently unfinished build of the game.

I'm not even saying it's gonna play bad like that did, just that it's most likely not gonna keep most of the conventions of Sonic gameplay.

Hmm, sketchy and somewhat doubtful, but it is just a prediction anyway. Fair enough.

I don't think a basic understanding of the gameplay is a "rash conclusion". That's kind of why they show gameplay in trailers.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFMHNZDM1YA

Second initial trailer analysis from GameXplain.  Lots of reference to user comments and minute details.

I got aj jump when they mentioned me.."Mechashadow" XDD

If you're not judging based on the trailer, you're judging based on nothing.

Or you're choosing not to judge at all.

• Thumbs Up 5

How can one hype or anticipate a game if they're not 'judging'? Isn't hype basically judging, but instead with completely positive reactions to what you see?

From one end: "Aww yeah! Looks like it is a lot like Jak & Daxter, this is going to be awesome, and here's why [insert reasons here]. I can't wait!"

From the other end: "Aww geez, this looks like it's nothing like a Sonic game because [insert reasons here]. It might be alright for what it is but bleeeeh."

To tell someone to stop judging a game before it's released followed by unending hype and excitement by doing the exact same thing (observing the footage so far and hearing about the stuff that's gonna be in the game) translates into the other party's heads as "oh well no pessimism allowed nyehnyeh". That's some kind of one-sided argument there.

• Thumbs Up 4

How can one hype or anticipate a game if they're not 'judging'? Isn't hype basically judging, but instead with completely positive reactions to what you see?

From one end: "Aww yeah! Looks like it is a lot like Jak & Daxter, this is going to be awesome, and here's why [insert reasons here]. I can't wait!"

From the other end: "Aww geez, this looks like it's nothing like a Sonic game because [insert reasons here]. It might be alright for what it is but bleeeeh."

To tell someone to stop judging a game before it's released followed by unending hype and excitement by doing the exact same thing (observing the footage so far and hearing about the stuff that's gonna be in the game) translates into the other party's heads as "oh well no pessimism allowed nyehnyeh". That's some kind of one-sided argument there.

If people would stop being killjoys while judging the game, there wouldn't be a problem. When you're excited for something, it's really annoying to hear people say things to the effect of "this game is going to suck/doesn't look anything like a Sonic game." Seriously, give Sonic Boom a chance. You might find something that you like!

• Thumbs Up 1

Giving it another look the enemies and environments are actually giving me more of a crash vibe than a jak vibe (a little bit of twinsanity with of mix of crash of the titans somewhat), I like it and im not saying that the game doesn't feel sonic-y for it, its just a bit awkward.

Its not like I'm not 'giving it a chance'. As I've said many times before, I'll probably play it and enjoy it for what it is, but I'm sorry if one's observations so far about how it doesn't look like what they look for in a Sonic game is such a massive buzzkill.

Because, really, it's not supposed to be. If anything, from the more pessmistic person's perspective, its a buzzkill to the people who feel discomforted with it being told they're wrong and should shush up while the others churn the hype crank. :v

If people would stop being killjoys while judging the game, there wouldn't be a problem. When you're excited for something, it's really annoying to hear people say things to the effect of "this game is going to suck/doesn't look anything like a Sonic game."

It's also pretty annoying to have people raving over the game and ascribing all their hopes and dreams to it when the game doesn't actually look anything like what they're hoping for. But I'm not going to tell them they can't be optimistic, even if I do argue that the things they're hoping for probably won't happen.

Seriously, give Sonic Boom a chance. You might find something that you like!

I've been more than willing to give the game a chance. I'm pretty much ok with the character designs and I'm interested to see how the story and writing are. The gameplay, though, looks pretty much like balls, as far as being a Sonic game. And that's not something I can just ignore.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whatever "playing like a REAL Sonic game" even means to whoever utters such a phrase these days.

Yes, I am saying that the gameplay doesn't meet my own personal criteria for "playing like a Sonic game", and I am disappointed and uninterested in it because of that.

Oh well, you know what they say: "You can't please everyone". Your loss.

Whatever "playing like a REAL Sonic game" even means to whoever utters such a phrase these days.

I really wish this would stop being a thing. You make it sound like the people who actually can see what makes a Sonic game seem like some form of delusional looney, and that's been getting tiresome to read for a while now. Can we please cut that out?

It should be obvious what the general consensus of a Sonic game is. You run, jump, and maybe roll/boost. There are rings you collect, and then drop when hit. The levels are built around hills, slopes and general flow. Springs, checkpoint starposts, badniks, spikes, Chaos Emerald relevancy, and et cetera are all present and accounted for. Seven mainstream titles in a row followed this method (S1/2/3/K/CD/SA1/SA2), and even after the series got further and further side tracked (and had a change in formula or two) it retained most of those elements in some form or fashion and/or resumed back to them at some point.

I don't even care if Boom stays like it is; it's a spinoff, it's different, fine! It'll be good for what it is! But don't try to act like there was no form of consistency before just because Sonic had a "dork age" for a while there, that's borderline insulting to the people that admired the series for it's good qualities.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ah the sound of tension and anger. 

Well, anyways, I get why people can and would be mad or dissapointed but it's the sheer content in these statements that come off as kill joy. I don't like certain games but I don't go to the Lost World topic and post because I don't want to ruin everyones fun and that's how it feels here. Like why did you come here to be very moody and down. Stating your opinion okay, making page long posts about how much it doesn't feel, look, seem. theorize about why it's bad and blah. Just "Hey I don't like the looks of it because 'opinion'" When someone replies just "Well I'm just stating my opinion" move on. Not 1 page generic this is going to be bad comeback then "Hey my opinion"

And no. I'm not going to cut out the what a "real" Sonic game is because that is no longer a thing. They've tried to much for there to be a specific formula. Making a new "Boost: game well yeah theres a formula, making a new "Classic" game heck yeah, making a new "Adventure" game yeah theres a formula. Making a new "Sonic" game well no, thats free territory. With how many different takes there are its not really something you say is this. Also while Boom is a "Kinda-Sonic" game it IS trying to do its OWN things. 

give me a break...

Oh springs and such. Well don't you want an opener area? Seems classic while having springs didn't use "lots" In the trailer we barely say enough to see if there would be springs. Most of the time we we're looking at a wide open area so we don't know if the platforming will have springs, dashers, etc. Also weren't those things... nevermind, but in Knuckles preview we saw A LOT of alternate paths some of which seemed they'd might need a spring to reach, so, we should probably wait for more...

Edited by Light the Hedgehog

I could tell as soon as I saw the trailer that some people might be uneasy or disappointed about this game. And to be honest, I don't blame them. This is not the Sonic they grew up with and came to love, this is a very different approach to the franchise, and of course, some people are going to feel indifferent to that.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Boom, I'm excited yet nervous and I'm keeping my expectations down to earth so I don't end up being disappointed. But I can definitely see where some of the anxiety is coming from.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah the sound of tension and anger. 

Well, anyways, I get why people can and would be mad or dissapointed but it's the sheer content in these statements that come off as kill joy. I don't like certain games but I don't go to the Lost World topic and post because I don't want to ruin everyones fun and that's how it feels here. Like why did you come here to be very moody and down. Stating your opinion okay, making page long posts about how much it doesn't feel, look, seem. theorize about why it's bad and blah. Just "Hey I don't like the looks of it because 'opinion'" When someone replies just "Well I'm just stating my opinion" move on. Not 1 page generic this is going to be bad comeback then "Hey my opinion"

And no. I'm not going to cut out the what a "real" Sonic game is because that is no longer a thing. They've tried to much for there to be a specific formula. Making a new "Boost: game well yeah theres a formula, making a new "Classic" game heck yeah, making a new "Adventure" game yeah theres a formula. Making a new "Sonic" game well no, thats free territory. With how many different takes there are its not really something you say is this. Also while Boom is a "Kinda-Sonic" game it IS trying to do its OWN things. 

give me a break...

^ Retorts like this that completely ignore what I said are exactly why I don't like partaking in discussion on this side of the forum. I write a full-on explanation as to what I'm trying to say and it will almost always be taken and warped into "oh well the series just isn't consistent you're all a bunch of buzzkills lol". 

Back to the shadows I go!