Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

^ Retorts like this that completely ignore what I said are exactly why I don't like partaking in discussion on this side of the forum. I write a full-on explanation as to what I'm trying to say and it will almost always be taken and warped into "oh well the series just isn't consistent you're all a bunch of buzzkills lol".

Back to the shadows I go!

EDIT: Nevermind, quote was added.

I really wish this would stop being a thing. You make it sound like the people who actually can see what makes a Sonic game seem like some form of delusional looney, and that's been getting tiresome to read for a while now. Can we please cut that out?

I'd rather not be rudely talked down to as if I don't know what makes a Sonic game, just because I don't follow some fanbased protocol.

No, no, no sorry! I wasn't referring to you Azookara! I meant as a whole. Not you, I only replied to your/everyones' statement to the springs and such.

I don't even care if Boom stays like it is; it's a spinoff, it's different, fine! It'll be good for what it is! But don't try to act like there was no form of consistency before just because Sonic had a "dork age" for a while there, that's borderline insulting to the people that admired the series for it's good qualities.

Well that's your opinion. I personally don't see enough of your presented "consistency" to warrant shunning Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd rather not be rudely talked down to as if I don't know what makes a Sonic game, just because I don't follow some fanbased protocol.

You seem pretty dismissive of the concept, tho'.
  • Thumbs Up 4

Well that's your opinion. I personally don't see enough of your presented "consistency" to warrant shunning Boom.

Not seeing "enough of" it, doesn't really mean it isn't there...most likely just means it doesn't matter as much to you as it does to someone else.

Not seeing "enough of" it, doesn't really mean it isn't there...most likely just means it doesn't matter as much to you as it does to someone else.

Or it could mean they're fabricating it, reading too deeply into it, are obsessed with it, are desperate to come up with anything, etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

Or it could mean they're fabricating it, reading too deeply into it, are obsessed with it, are desperate to come up with anything, etc.

It could mean that too...but normally when it gets to that point they probably won't have a proper argument or counter anymore and just end up being redundant by constantly restating the failing argument or just start "grasping for straws" to come up with an argument.

That could be the case here or it couldn't be...I really can't dive into the minds of other people to see how their thoughts work...I just look at what I get and try to see what I can gather from it.

These are just my views, everyone else might have different views on what Sonic is to them;

I'm going to look at it this way; Sonic is famous for going fast. So it's really not Sonic without the speed. Which is generally why Lost World felt 'un-Sonicy' to some people (even a little bit to me). If there is little to no speed in Sonic Boom, there's no point in it being a Sonic game. Luckily (or unluckily, depends on what they're doing), Sonic Team is giving some guidance to BRB, so hopefully this won't just be a beat 'em up starring Sonic & Co.

When I was a little kid and stayed up way past my bedtime to watch Sonic X, I was in awe at how fast Sonic could run, and hat really drew me to the character. I started playing the games, and the sense of speed in itself was exciting. Taking the speed away would make it feel like less of a Sonic game to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Concept seems pretty fragile to me.

Mostly because Sonic Team spent over a decade taking a hammer to it.

Yeah this is pretty dismissive and insulting.
  • Thumbs Up 3

These are just my views, everyone else might have different views on what Sonic is.

I'm going to look at it this way; Sonic is famous for going fast. So it's really not Sonic without the speed. Which is generally why Lost World felt 'un-Sonicy' to some people (even a little bit to me). If there is little to no speed in Sonic Boom, there's no point in it being a Sonic game. Luckily (or unluckily, depends on what they're doing), Sonic Team is giving some guidance to BRB, so hopefully this won't just be a beat 'em up starring Sonic & Co.

When I was a little kid and stayed up way past my bedtime to watch Sonic X, I was in awe at how fast Sonic could run, and hat really drew me to the character. I started playing the games, and the sense of speed in itself was exciting. Taking the speed away would make it feel like less of a Sonic game to me.

You seem to have the best reasoning presently. Well spoken.

Mostly because Sonic Team spent over a decade taking a hammer to it.

Yeah, pretty much. So why are people defending it so? I get wanting a couple of the glass pieces that were the prettiest but who wants the whole hammered shattered glass? beats me...

I get the concept, I've been a fan of the concept since Sonic 1 but Sonic team obviously wasn't headed towards it, so why should Boom..

Because it's a good concept, unlike a lot of things they've tried. If all I wanted was "a good game", without caring what kind of game it was...there's hundreds, maybe thousands of "good games" that I haven't played, and I could easily go play any of them instead of worrying about this. I care about this series because it does (or rather did) things that no other series does; if it doesn't do those things, I have no reason to consider it over any other game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm really curious as to why are fans worrying about Sonic Boom not looking like a Sonic game. It looks "Sonic-y" enough to me. First of all, we've got speed, platforming, the homing attack, multiple characters with different abilities, and exploration, which have all been used in a few Sonic games.

Second, there's not really a consistent "formula" for Sonic. Like I've said before, Sonic Team has changed the formula every few games, only keeping the mainstays; speed, platforming and Sonic's deadly ball form. As I see it, the Sonic series is a guinea pig for these gameplay styles, or as I see them, experiments.

As we know, this is a development team who albeit has never made a Sonic game before, are in fact taking inspiration from a few of the highlights of the series, so I have faith in this being as good, or even better than, the games they're using as reference sheets to make a damn good game.

*prepares wet blanket*

• Thumbs Up 7

Because it's a good concept, unlike a lot of things they've tried. If all I wanted was "a good game", without caring what kind of game it was...there's hundreds, maybe thousands of "good games" that I haven't played, and I could easily go play any of them instead of worrying about this. I care about this series because it does (or rather did) things that no other series does; if it doesn't do those things, I have no reason to consider it over any other game.

This. If the very thing that makes Sonic for me isn't there, I'm going to have a very hard time calling it a Sonic game. There's a reason why I prefer Sonic to other platformers like Mario or Rayman after all.

I'm really curious as to why are fans worrying about Sonic Boom not looking like a Sonic game. It looks "Sonic-y" enough to me. First of all, we've got speed, platforming, the homing attack, multiple characters with different abilities, and exploration, which have all been used in a few Sonic games.

Second, there's not really a consistent "formula" for Sonic. Like I've said before, Sonic Team has changed the formula every few games, only keeping the mainstays; speed, platforming and Sonic's deadly ball form. As I see it, the Sonic series is a guinea pig for these gameplay styles, or as I see them, experiments.

As we know, this is a development team who albeit has never made a Sonic game before, are in fact taking inspiration from a few of the highlights of the series, so I have faith in this being as good, or even better than, the games they're using as reference sheets to make a damn good game.*prepares wet blanket*

I think it looks Sonic-y enough, and I am cautiously optimistic about it, but I can see why some fans are worrying. Some fans have different perceptions of what Sonic is and this game might not roll with those perceptions, which is totally understandable. I can agree with what you're saying about there not being a definitive formula, but its only a problem when you remove what makes the character so special. The speed is there, so I think I can rest easy for the time being. I just hope that the combat isn't too flow-breaking.

• Thumbs Up 2

I explicitly stated this game is fine for what it is, but everyone would rather assume we're all just irrationaly buttmad at this game like it pissed in our cornflakes. I say that the Sonic series has distinctive traits, but then it's dismissed as if that's simply not true. I explain myself and clear up what I meant but in response I get told that people who claim to like Sonic for what it was are just "delusionals" that "are fabricating it, reading too deeply into it, are obsessed with it, are desperate to come up with anything, etc.", and that is just straight up insulting.

I give up on trying to discuss this. Like, entirely.

• Thumbs Up 3

Its not about the "formula" for the series, its about keeping in the things that are "Staples" in the series that may somewhat remain consistent in the series even though the game-play formula changes time and time again, is what is trying to be said. The "staples" in this series that let the a big part of the Fanbase see it as what it is. They don't want the things that were almost always there to go away because then what made the series special and unique to them is gone and they won't really care anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm really curious as to why are fans worrying about Sonic Boom not looking like a Sonic game. It looks "Sonic-y" enough to me. First of all, we've got speed,

Questionable. It doesn't look like it has speed built in as a basic assumption, the way Sonic games usually do; instead, it looks like it's largely restricted to gimmick sections.

platforming,

Not in any way that's particular to Sonic. Every platformer has platforming, and while the basic "jump on a thing" platforming is a prerequisite for Sonic too, Sonic games should also have hills and ramps and bouncy things, and not just "here are some platforms".

the homing attack,

Considering the emphasis on combat I doubt it's going to be as focal as it usually is. But I don't really consider this a big factor in terms of being Sonic-y anyway (more of a necessary evil, in most implementations).

multiple characters with different abilities, and exploration, which have all been used in a few Sonic games.

These are true, from what we've seen, but without being able to do them in a Sonic-like manner it's not enough.

Also, it's not just a matter of the game lacking Sonic-y elements, but of the elements they've chosen to put in instead; the combat focus in particular is out of place.

• Thumbs Up 2

I explicitly stated this game is fine for what it is, but everyone would rather assume we're all just irrationaly buttmad at this game like it pissed in our cornflakes. I say that the Sonic series has distinctive traits, but then it's dismissed as if that's simply not true. I explain myself and clear up what I meant but in response I get told that people who claim to like Sonic for what it was are just "delusionals" that "are fabricating it, reading too deeply into it, are obsessed with it, are desperate to come up with anything, etc.", and that is just straight up insulting.I give up on trying to discuss this. Like, entirely.

I understand what you mean here, as I kind of feel this way myself. I'm a bit nervous about the game because of the alleged emphasis on combat, and that it might break the flow and speed. I'm also worried because I didn't see a single spring in the trailer, usually those are key assets to Sonic games, even appearing in 06 which was meant to be more realistic. I'm going to give the game a chance, but it reserve the right to be cautious. I let myself get too hyped for Lost World and I ended up being very disappointed.

I think your opinions are very well thought out and I can totally understand what you mean.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its not about the "formula" for the series, its about keeping in the things that are "Staples" in the series that may somewhat remain consistent in the series even though the game-play formula changes time and time again, is what is trying to be said. The "staples" in this series that let the a big part of the Fanbase see it as what it is. They don't want the things that were almost always there to go away because then what made the series special and unique to them is gone and they won't really care anymore.

Okay, so which staples are missing from this game, based on the trailer? I see speed, albeit only shown in what looks like a hallway'd mach speed section, open levels, rings, Knuckles' climbing, Tails' flight, Amy's hammer, Sonic's homing attack and what seems to be the spin dash, and a ramp. That's quite a bit of what's on the Sonic checklist.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, it's not just a matter of the game lacking Sonic-y elements, but of the elements they've chosen to put in instead; the combat focus in particular is out of place.

So it sounds like it'll play like a Sonic game but have additional, new concepts introduced to back it up. Sweet.

• Thumbs Up 1

So it sounds like it'll play like a Sonic game but have additional, new concepts introduced to back it up. Sweet.

Heroes and 06 had an emphasis on combat, and a lot of people hated it. I'm okay with combat as long as its not at inopportune moments. For example, if a large group of enemies are guarding the goal, then I think that fine, and it's a good excuse to put a brawling section there. But randomly starting and stopping is what I'm worried about.

I'm okay with combat as long as its not at inopportune moments. 

My thoughts exactly.

the combat focus in particular is out of place.

We've had out-there mechanics before; The homing attack, teams, armed weapons, the boost, the slide, parkour, etc. which their respective games have been essentially centered around.

Still, we have yet to see if combat is the main way to play in Sonic Boom so we'll just have to wait and see to judge if this will play more like a Sonic game or not.

• Thumbs Up 4