Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I gotta shake my head to this discussion. 

It has many things that almost everyone wanted, we wanted things that this has to offer. As Auto said, and I said earlier. It's has Tails' Iconic flight, Knuckles climbing, EXPLORATION, multiple characters and it looks fun. But because a trailer that shows, what, 30 seconds of actual doing something gameplay we can already say "it doesn't have this, this, this and this and these core values." Well what? I know same goes for hype but we're hyping whats IN the trailer, people are already downing for whats NOT IN the trailer. Plus all of what we saw they were doing their core abilities and a couple other things. We didn't get to see an actual game play, mostly just "Player Ability" -> "Them in a group" -> "Player Ability" -> "back to the group circle thing" So... Also Sonic ran on water without his friends so that must mean his top speed reaches a pretty good speed which means sections SHOULD, that doesn't mean they will, but should be able to accommodate. Meh, ignore this. Just more venting..

• Thumbs Up 3

It's also pretty annoying to have people raving over the game and ascribing all their hopes and dreams to it when the game doesn't actually look anything like what they're hoping for. But I'm not going to tell them they can't be optimistic, even if I do argue that the things they're hoping for probably won't happen.

I've been more than willing to give the game a chance. I'm pretty much ok with the character designs and I'm interested to see how the story and writing are. The gameplay, though, looks pretty much like balls, as far as being a Sonic game. And that's not something I can just ignore.

Seems more like its doesn't look like what you are hoping for.

Is it really that annoying having people be excited about something you don't think is going to be good?

Still i agree with you that this game could be bad or it could be have little i what makes sonic sonic(his speed imo). I don't want a forum where people are bashed for saying negative things they speculate about a game I just think it would be nice if you'd sound less like you already played it when talking about why the game will be bad.

Anyway personally I just want some more info so maybe we could talk more about the game instead of whether what we say about the game is justified.

As for my thoughts on sonic and what makes a sonic game..

Running fast and free will always be one of my favorite aspects of sonic sonic unleashed was just pure speed but sonic gdk made me feel free and let me go anywhere. But I still like playing as sonic even if its in a fighting game like brawl. 

I much rather play as him in a fun, well made game that I can play with my little brother instead of just against him, rather  than one that just lets me get a rush of speed and tells me to memorize a linear stage (since you could never see whats coming in time) if I want to go faster  than relying on my skill and reflexes.

Springs and rings are not really something  care about rings just seem like an unnecessary,old method of measuring health and money at the same time.

I want sonic boom to be a fun game and if it gives me a rush of speed 10% of the time that's great.

However saying whether it would do either of these things without at least seeing 5 minutes of game play just seem dumb to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, so which staples are missing from this game, based on the trailer?

Any kind of curved ground, for one.

I see speed, albeit only shown in what looks like a hallway'd mach speed section,

That's the problem. You can't just treat "speed" as an item on a checklist with no further context. Speed needs to be woven into the core gameplay, otherwise it isn't Sonic.

rings,

We don't even know if rings work the way they usually do. I remember there being a picture of someone working on the game, with the screen showing a big energy meter and no apparent ring counter. That, to me, says "health bar".

... and what seems to be the spin dash, and a ramp.

At this point, I don't believe that they've made a freely useable spindash; what I expect, is that the spindash is a gimmick that you use on special ramp objects to go exactly where they want you to go and nowhere else. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but at this point I don't see reason to believe in a proper spindash over a gimmick spindash.

We've had out-there mechanics before;

Yes, we have. And some of them are why Sonic has sucked so hard for so long. I'm not against new things in the games, but not all new things are good things, and the series having done some dumb things in the past doesn't justify it doing dumb things now. Plodding around and kicking robots does not mesh with my idea of Sonic at all.

So it sounds like it'll play like a Sonic game but have additional, new concepts introduced to back it up. Sweet.

The only way you could get that out of my post is if you ignored everything else in it. You can disagree with me all you want but please don't be disingenuous with my posts.

It has many things that almost everyone wanted, we wanted things that this has to offer. As Auto said, and I said earlier. It's has Tails' Iconic flight, Knuckles climbing, EXPLORATION, multiple characters and it looks fun.

I don't think it looks fun, I think it looks bland. And I honestly don't give two shits about those abilities as just "iconic" elements. I care about them as they work in the game, and I do not have any confidence that they will work the way I'd like them to.

But because a trailer that shows, what, 30 seconds of actual doing something gameplay we can already say "it doesn't have this, this, this and this and these core values." Well what? I know same goes for hype but we're hyping whats IN the trailer, people are already downing for whats NOT IN the trailer.

The things I'm complaining about not seeing, are things that should be throughout the game. If they don't show up in a trailer, that's a big fucking warning flag that they probably aren't in the game at all.

Also Sonic ran on water without his friends so that must mean his top speed reaches a pretty good speed which means sections SHOULD, that doesn't mean they will, but should be able to accommodate.

Being alone in that running section doesn't mean anything.

Heroes and 06 had an emphasis on combat, and a lot of people hated it. I'm okay with combat as long as its not at inopportune moments. For example, if a large group of enemies are guarding the goal, then I think that fine, and it's a good excuse to put a brawling section there. But randomly starting and stopping is what I'm worried about.

I think its less about me having to stop and me feeling like i've stopped.

That probably doesn't make much sense so let me elaborate. Lets say I could run into a group of enemies while boosting and knock one into the air then homing attack into a aerial combo then land with a stomp attack and defeat all the enemies there and I do all this with tight controls and moves(Attacks and Dodges) that are animated fluidly and at least look fast(even if all i'm doing is hitting the x and y buttons) .

Then It can feel natural and feel as though the fighting is part of the quick paced split second running.

rather than lets say playing sonic heroes where you run as sonic then switch to knuckles to destroy enemies with severely reduced speed. Or just using enemies as targets for your homing attack.

Thats asking a lot and i dont really expect the game to be that perfect(for me) but it would be my ideal situation and something i think would work.

Okay, so which staples are missing from this game, based on the trailer? I see speed, albeit only shown in what looks like a hallway'd mach speed section, open levels, rings, Knuckles' climbing, Tails' flight, Amy's hammer, Sonic's homing attack and what seems to be the spin dash, and a ramp. That's quite a bit of what's on the Sonic checklist.

Staples of the series that are not game-play related go long ways back.

Sonic is generally known for having beautiful fantasy, surrealistic, or a mix of both for the environments in game. Environments that have a distinct look to it but still generally feels like Sonic can belong there and none of the characters can look out of place, places that scream Sonic on first glance, looking gorgeous, highly detailed, and fit right at home in the series.

Sonic is known for his "Series Regulars" in Game-play mechanics that have never left the series even when the Game-play Control and Concepts change in the main games.

Rings(which are in Boom)a basic health mechanic in the series, only need one 1 ring to survive and collecting a plenty gives an extra life as to be expected in a classic game-play mechanic.

Springs...the things mainly used to produce the speed and progression of levels in some way, they've always been used in sections to automate sections of the level to look cool or because its a standard thing at this point.

A sense of thrill and excitement...where the speed mainly shines down. They put you in situations that really make levels memorable even if it may not have been really game-play intensive with player input, but we would enjoy it anyway because it was awesome to see.

Loop de loops and Slopes....they were generally a focus to show how the momentum based physics work and were built around them to make the games be their own thing. Now these are a standard even with the proper "Classic" momentum isn't around anymore etc.

Taking apart arguments now are we? GET A LOAD OF THIS!

Boom2.png

Boom3.png

Looks curvy to me, mate.

That's the problem. You can't just treat "speed" as an item on a checklist with no further context. Speed needs to be woven into the core gameplay, otherwise it isn't Sonic.

Sonic wasn't particularly fast in Sonic 1, sure there was the potential to go fast but it wasn't seamlessly woven into the gameplay. You had to memorize the stages, if you wanted any sense of speed. So I suppose that's not a Sonic game.

To quote another user: "Sonic's speed has always been more of a marketing ploy, than an actual mechanic."

We don't even know if rings work the way they usually do. I remember there being a picture of someone working on the game, with the screen showing a big energy meter and no apparent ring counter. That, to me, says "health bar".

That bar has got me suspicious as well, but until we know more there's not much to say. Though Tails/Eggman worked off a health bar in Sonic Adventure 2, so even if it is a health bar it's nothing new to the series.

At this point, I don't believe that they've made a freely useable spindash; what I expect, is that the spindash is a gimmick that you use on special ramp objects to go exactly where they want you to go and nowhere else. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but at this point I don't see reason to believe in a proper spindash over a gimmick spindash.

I would be surprised if that was a freely usable spindash, especially considering this started development back when the spindash was irrelevant.

Yes, we have. And some of them are why Sonic has sucked so hard for so long. I'm not against new things in the games, but not all new things are good things, and the series having done some dumb things in the past doesn't justify it doing dumb things now.

Sure it does. Experimentation is a staple of the Sonic series, for better or worse.

I don't think it looks fun, I think it looks bland. And I honestly don't give two shits about those abilities as just "iconic" elements. I care about them as they work in the game, and I do not have any confidence that they will work the way I'd like them to.

We'll just have to wait and see, but the elements are there at least, which leaves the potential for the to function the way you want them to.

The things I'm complaining about not seeing, are things that should be throughout the game. If they don't show up in a trailer, that's a big fucking warning flag that they probably aren't in the game at all.

It was a very short trailer, I doubt we've seen all there is to see in the world of Boom.

Being alone in that running section doesn't mean anything.

Except there will be some hold-forward-to-win jokes.

tumblr_mtp3tnkEYo1r220kbo4_500.gif

tumblr_mtp3tnkEYo1r220kbo3_500.gif

• Thumbs Up 5

Springs and rings are not really something  care about rings just seem like an unnecessary,old method of measuring health and money at the same time.

Apropos of rings, I hope Sonic Boom doesn't continue the tradition of making characters drop all of them after one hit. It's bad enough in the main series where it breaks your flow, and having it in a game that incorporates combat would just be disastrous.

Okay, seriously? That makes absolutely no sense. Trailers are not required to show everything in a game, or even the core gameplay or level design. As a rule, they only have to show whatever will excite people the most. Stuff like playing as Sonic's friends for example, or those beautiful, wide-open levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

large.jpg

[EDIT] Darn, Espio'd by JaiRO.

Before you say "that's just one screenshot though," we have little to no visual content to judge wether or not there will be more slopes. Besides, I doubt BRB or the 3DS guys will pay any attention to momentum based gameplay in this game.

Maybe rings do work like they used to and that meter could be something else that is or is not connected to rings.

Plodding around and kicking robots does not mesh with my idea of Sonic at all.

Homing in on robots and destroying them like a blue spherical missile wasn't anybody's idea of Sonic either, but that mechanic was and still is appraised by the vast majority of the people who played the games that implemented it, so if done right, the combat might be successful too. Keep an open mind.

The only way you could get that out of my post is if you ignored everything else in it

Who implied it though?

I don't think it looks fun, I think it looks bland.

Judging from literally 13 seconds of gameplay and a few screenshots. Again, keep an open mind.

tumblr_mtp3tnkEYo1r220kbo4_500.gif

tumblr_mtp3tnkEYo1r220kbo3_500.gif

.....Who's being a jerk?

Edited by Auto
  • Thumbs Up 4

.....Who's being a jerk?

A couple pages back the discussion was more heated. I haven't really been paying that much attention, I just really wanted to use that gif.

Looks curvy to me, mate.

Curvy for a Mario game, maybe. Not for a Sonic game. These barely even qualify as gentle hills, and this is a series that made loops iconic. 

Sonic wasn't particularly fast in Sonic 1, sure there was the potential to go fast but it wasn't seamlessly woven into the gameplay. You had to memorize the stages, if you wanted any sense of speed. So I suppose that's not a Sonic game.

Sonic 1 is exactly how speed is woven into the gameplay. Sonic 1 doesn't clamp your speed in the majority of areas and only let you go fast in specially designed ones; it uses the same mechanics throughout, and challenges you to use them to your advantage as much as possible.

To quote another user: "Sonic's speed has always been more of a marketing ploy, than an actual mechanic."

Bullshit, plain and simple.

That bar has got me suspicious as well, but until we know more there's not much to say. Though Tails/Eggman worked off a health bar in Sonic Adventure 2, so even if it is a health bar it's nothing new to the series.

Why do people keep trying to use shitty, unwanted, not-Sonic gameplay in previous games as an excuse. I don't care if it was in shitty side gameplay from SA2, I didn't like it then, I don't like it now.

It was a very short trailer, I doubt we've seen all there is to see in the world of Boom.

Does anyone actually understand what I'm talking about here? I'm talking fundamental aspects of gameplay and level design, that should pervade the entire game. Imagine if they made a trailer for a Megaman game where he never jumped or fired a shot, and being told that it's "just a short trailer" when you question it.

Okay, seriously? That makes absolutely no sense. Trailers are not required to show everything in a game, or even the core gameplay or level design. As a rule, they only have to show whatever will excite people the most. Stuff like playing as Sonic's friends for example, or those beautiful, wide-open levels.

Why the fuck would a trailer not show the core gameplay.

The only reason I could think of to not show the core gameplay is if they don't think they can sell the game on the core gameplay.

And if that's the case, I'm running for the hills twice as fast as I was before.

Besides, I doubt BRB or the 3DS guys will pay any attention to momentum based gameplay in this game.

Thanks for making my argument for me. 

Maybe rings do work like they used to and that meter could be something else that is or is not connected to rings.

Maybe, maybe, maybe. Given a shot of a bigass meter and no other apparent health indicator, I'm going to assume that is it until given reason to believe otherwise.

Homing in on robots and destroying them like a blue spherical missile wasn't anybody's idea of Sonic either, but that mechanic was and still is appraised by the vast majority of the people who played the games that implemented it, so if done right, the combat might be successful too. Keep an open mind.

Except the homing attack makes sense in the context of Sonic gameplay; it simplifies the issue of attacking in 3D, so that you can defeat enemies quickly and get back to the things that are actually important. Putting a focus on combat is going to inherently draw focus away from Sonic-y elements.

Who implied it though?

What?

Judging from literally 13 seconds of gameplay and a few screenshots. Again, keep an open mind.

For fuck's sake. Why should I "keep an open mind" when I already don't like anything they've shown of the gameplay so far? The only way I'm going to like how this game plays is if it magically becomes completely different from what it looks like in the trailer, and what reason do I have to expect that?

If they don't show up in a trailer, that's a big fucking warning flag that they probably aren't in the game at all..

This isn't always the case. Sonic Lost World's trailer didn't show wisps (other than an appearance of the Cyan Wisp that you had to look very closely to spot), pushing of giant fruit, or defying gravity to choose different paths, but those were in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Pushing fruit" is not an essential element of the gameplay, it's a one-time gimmick. It has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

For fuck's sake. Why should I "keep an open mind" when I already don't like anything they've shown of the gameplay so far?

Because what what's been shown of each gameplay mechanic are very brief and vague demonstrations that tell us nothing but "Here's a thing you can do! Now here's another thing."

"Pushing fruit" is not an essential element of the gameplay, it's a one-time gimmick. It has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Good point.

For fuck's sake. Why should I "keep an open mind" when I already don't like anything they've shown of the gameplay so far? The only way I'm going to like how this game plays is if it magically becomes completely different from what it looks like in the trailer, and what reason do I have to expect that?

Would it make sense for you to say "This game looks amazing from what iv'e seen" then have me say "keep an open mind" no we say keep an open mind? No, we say keep an open mind because you don't like the game based on what you've seen (And although you keep trying to say it doesn't matter and you've seen enough) it's still very little.

How is this situation where you cant see the possibility of this being a good game or different from the one you are envisioning it to be not one where its right to tell you be more open minded.

Also since i think you may be right try not to be the I told you so guy later on.

Curvy for a Mario game, maybe. Not for a Sonic game. These barely even qualify as gentle hills, and this is a series that made loops iconic. 

Whose to say there won't be loops? I don't care how core to the "Sonic experience" you think loops are, just because they aren't in a trailer doesn't mean they aren't in the game. SONIC 2006's first trailer was absent of loops, as many other first trailers to entries in the series were.

Sonic 1 is exactly how speed is woven into the gameplay. Sonic 1 doesn't clamp your speed in the majority of areas and only let you go fast in specially designed ones; it uses the same mechanics throughout, and challenges you to use them to your advantage as much as possible.

Sonic 1 isn't about speed, MarbleZone made you sit on a god damn block for half the Zone. You're kidding yourself.

Bullshit, plain and simple.

That's just unkind.

Why do people keep trying to use shitty, unwanted, not-Sonic gameplay in previous games as an excuse. I don't care if it was in shitty side gameplay from SA2, I didn't like it then, I don't like it now.

Well I enjoyed those segments, and so did many others, so really it just boils down to your opinion on said gameplay.

You really could've worded that nicer.

Does anyone actually understand what I'm talking about here? I'm talking fundamental aspects of gameplay and level design, that should pervade the entire game. Imagine if they made a trailer for a Megaman game where he never jumped or fired a shot, and being told that it's "just a short trailer" when you question it.

To be fair there is a whole lot more to Sonic than "Jump and Shoot", I think this trailer focused on the new elements rather than returning ones.

Why the fuck would a trailer not show the core gameplay.

The only reason I could think of to not show the core gameplay is if they don't think they can sell the game on the core gameplay.

Or maybe that was the core gameplay? Sonic was defeating robots, Knuckles was exploring, Tails was doing some platforming, and Amy was flipping around like an acrobat.

And if that's the case, I'm running for the hills twice as fast as I was before.

All right, bye.

Maybe, maybe, maybe. Given a shot of a bigass meter and no other apparent health indicator, I'm going to assume that is it until given reason to believe otherwise.

That's awful logic. You shouldn't be assuming anything, you should wait for an official response to base your opinion off of.

Except the homing attack makes sense in the context of Sonic gameplay; it simplifies the issue of attacking in 3D, so that you can defeat enemies quickly and get back to the things that are actually important. Putting a focus on combat is going to inherently draw focus away from Sonic-y elements.

There is no god damn such thing as a "Sonic-y element". Sonic has done tons of things, in tons of places, there are few staples of the series. Stop pretending like this game is going to be any less Sonic than every other game we've gotten for the past 10 years.

For fuck's sake. Why should I "keep an open mind" when I already don't like anything they've shown of the gameplay so far? The only way I'm going to like how this game plays is if it magically becomes completely different from what it looks like in the trailer, and what reason do I have to expect that?

Keep an open mind because this is a discussion. That was a very short trailer, only a fool would be so adamant in their opinion of a teaser.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is no god damn such thing as a "Sonic-y element". Sonic has done tons of things, in tons of places, there are few staples of the series. Stop pretending like this game is going to be any less Sonic than every other game we've gotten for the past 10 years.

Then Sonic is dead, and this whole thing is pointless.
  • Thumbs Up 7

So trailers are supposed to show you the game? Like the whole everything gameplay wise? Well, maybe in some cases but this was clearly a lets get these guys excited trailer. NOTE: IT WASN'T MEANT FOR "YOU" it was meant for everyone the kids they're trying to bring in the older fans, other people. A trailer is trying to get PEOPLE, like more than just its fanbase (Which Boom doesn't even have yet) to come and join the fun. So why would they show Sonic getting hit in the face losing rings? For us long time fans, who already knew that? I don't think so. Everything was short bursts! Like SONIC CAN RUN! EVERYONE IS FAST! SONIC CAN HOMING ATTACK ANNND DO FANCY TRICKS" "oooh look at this character flying!". Now you might use this against me, like "Well we all knew Tails could fly" But thats cool! Getting hit and loosing your collectables isn't. Going through a loop, nowadays, isn't that amazing. Seeing as you can't really sell on that because everyone would be like "Oh an 'automated' loop" even though they might actually have physics (not saying Boom does, just example)

Also you keep using words like "shitty" which make you come off as a jerk. I was fine with you not liking it. But now your flattening the game trying to prove your point. Not cool.

Also how can you base a game off a trailer with barely any gameplay. We haven't seen a single character actually MOVE besides doing their specials so what is there to judge besides:

-Exploration (Knuckles climbing part SHOWS this)

-Rings (meh there rings)

-Sonic Kicking, doing a pretty fast combo (combat, okay.. there was only like one enemy so... ? )

-Amy doing hammer-spin (again another ability)

-Tails laser slinging (ability)

-Knuckles digging (ability)

-Mach speed (Okay a little tid-bit of what COULD be gameplay you got me there)

-Water Running (ability / gameplay?)

-Knuckles climbing (ability) 

So it's more like "hey, remember these characters old fans? Well look at all their cool abilities!" "Hey you guys (new people) Look its that one Sonic character! Doing some awesome crap to the awesome music!" As I said it's more a hype trailer. While judging its good aspects is just like judging its bad. It seems your judging the wrong parts. 

Judging the whole game as bad through a couple seconds of character ability footage.. umm

Judging the premise and aspects of the trailer as good through a couple seconds of trailer.. kinda makes sense. just sayin'

It's not that you don't like it.

It's not that you don't have an open mind.

It's not that you don't think it's Sonic-y enough.

It's because your judging the Whole game,the entire package, as bad. Not saying hey this is what I don't like but hey this whole thing is what I don't like.

(Btw there's a loop looking formation in that mach speed clip. Btw Sonic spin jumps backwards while Tails is laser slingin'. Btw since when were small curves, weren't a curve at all :P idk. )

^ Also what JAiRO said. 

(Posted before i could see post after his)

• Thumbs Up 2

Then Sonic is dead, and this whole thing is pointless.

Sonic's not dead, he's dynamic.

Please read the rest of the response, I put time and effort into it just as you do with your own.

• Thumbs Up 2

I read it, if it makes you feel better.

I'm just sick of bashing my head against this brick wall, and that line was the last straw for the night.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just sick of bashing my head against this brick wall, and that line was the last straw for the night.

It does make me feel better. smile.png

That second part however is demeaning. Sass harder.

You're beating your head because you aren't opening you're mind.

Maybe if you would listen instead of trying to prove this game is bad you could have a more pleasant discussion.

Should also calm down a bit you're going further and further away from spreading an unpopular opinion to being as harsh as you can in everything you say without directly insulting anyone so you can't get in trouble

• Thumbs Up 2

^This. People are trying to prove it bad rather than open up. Cuz "NOT SONIC EEUGH" Your childhood is still intact don't worry. SegaSonic is in 2015 don't worry tongue.png

EDIT: Kinda harsh there sorry. 

Edited by Light the Hedgehog

I'd rather not limit myself so much and downright refuse expansion or potential on what Sonic games are capable of anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

To all the people saying this isn't a "Sonic" game, let's talk this through. Okay, here's an example. Springs. Back in Sonic 1,2 and 3K, they were part of the level design to help you reach new heights. Which made sense since the levels had vertical tiers. In CD, they began to be used as more of a gimmick, to bounce sonic around like a ball. Fun, but spammed and not the same. In SA1 and 2, they became used for another reason, to aid the player when moving quickly toward gaps and hard jumps. More recently, springs are just set pieces to bounce you around and you have basically no control. It's lost it's purpose. It's nostalgia-bait. Let's assume Boom only uses springs for their initial purpose, to get you higher up while exploring. That's not "less Sonic" that's just better design. Springs are springs, they shouldn't be a main part of gameplay. See what I mean? :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

To all the people saying this isn't a "Sonic" game, let's talk this through.

Okay, here's an example. Springs.

Back in Sonic 1,2 and 3K, they were part of the level design to help you reach new heights. Which made sense since the levels had vertical tiers.

In CD, the began to be used as more of a gimmick, to bounce sonic around like a ball. Fun, but spammed and not the same.

In SA1 and 2, they became used for another reason, to aid the player when moving quickly toward gaps and hard jumps.

More recently, springs are just set pieces to bounce you around and you have basically no control. It's lost it's purpose. It's nostalgia-bait.

Let's assume Boom only uses springs for their initial purpose, to get you higher up while exploring.

That's not "less Sonic" that's just better design. Springs are springs, they shouldn't be a main part of gameplay.

See what I mean? smile.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should be a main part of game-play if they are designed as one...Springs are used as a Helpful Height assist and As an Obstacle...becuase that's how they've always been.