Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

They should be a main part of game-play if they are designed as one...Springs are used as a Helpful Height assist and As an Obstacle...becuase that's how they've always been.

My guess is, for once, they and the dash pads won't be needlessly spammed. Praise moderation!

• Thumbs Up 2

They should be a main part of game-play if they are designed as one...Springs are used as a Helpful Height assist and As an Obstacle...becuase that's how they've always been.

But the question is, what makes them "Sonic"? Springs solved the problem of reaching higher planes and having something so avoid while going fast that won't kill you. Look at Sonic 4, it's not the same. Look at '06, they're used to "fix" the broken platforming.

What makes them Sonic isn't what they've been used for lately, Boom may fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

There's no need to try and convert anyone. If this isn't blindingly obvious to you bunch at this point, then you won't be convinced of what a painful treason this is to the series. If it isn't blindingly obvious to us bunch at this point, then we won't be convinced of how exactly Crash Bandicoot is supposed to be Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's no need to try and convert anyone. If this isn't blindingly obvious to you bunch at this point, then you won't be convinced of what a painful treason this is to the series. If it isn't blindingly obvious to us bunch at this point, then we won't be convinced of how exactly Crash Bandicoot is supposed to be Sonic.

Winds of change my friend, winds of change.

Winds of change my friend, winds of change.

And every change has the natural response back. I didn't like the winds of change, then I saw everyone readily dropping everything I like in Sonic to go "but this is so much better it has plot and other characters!", leading to utter despise to this change. And this is why "but it's a spinoff" doesn't cut it to me. The reaction is still there.

• Thumbs Up 2

And every change has the natural response back. I didn't like the winds of change, then I saw everyone readily dropping everything I like in Sonic to go "but this is so much better it has plot and other characters!", leading to utter despise to this change. And this is why "but it's a spinoff" doesn't cut it to me. The reaction is still there.

Don't worry man, I think this is gonna be more "Sonical" then we know now.

heres a recap of the event from the official segaamaerica youtube channel.

All i hear new is that they are gonna "Poke Fun" at action adventure.

Whatever that means...

Can anyone identify that song in the trailer, by any chance?

SEGA makes use of filler music all the time, but I can't help but wonder if that's a piece of music from the show or game if we don't have a third party who made it.

This basically boils down to everyone having a different opinion on how far a spinoff can stray before they loose interest, which is all well and good. If some people think it isn't "Sonicy", then yeah, okay. Classic Megaman fans don't necessarily need to be into battle network if nothing they like about the series is in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why does this have to be treason?! This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Your" Sonic isn't our or maybe even SEGA's "Sonic" so whats "Treason" to you is, just ST/SEGA doing what he does best, do different things.

In fact no, thats straight up garbage! Garbage I say! Treason is to big of a word to use against this title. If anything Sonic 06 was Treason, and so was Sonic 4 and definitely Lost World! Oh and Colors. These all have "springs and loops euugh" but they all crap on Sonic. Colors while having speed was a blocky Mario game with "some hills" and the spray can of springs and dash pads. Lost World was definitely Treason, betraying Sonic to the fullest wheres the cross-over game? I smell more Mario. Well those at least had springs. Man fuck your damn springs all games have some variation of a damn spring. Shadow was definitely squatting on Sonic. Guns in my Sonic? But at least there's springs... right? And dash pads... and hoops? Rings have always been a health bar, Just not as deliberate... 

I haven't until this post said anything about these games because I know people still like them no matter how much they Shat on Sonic. What legacy does he even have to be squat on? Nothing but us fans. Sonic 1 - 3 are old. No matter how amazing and how they COULD have kept the gameplay, they didn't. I think Lost World and Colors look as if they could be fun but since I haven't PLAYED them I don't judge them as harshly as I could. What authority do you have to call it Treason? Thats bullocks and you know it! Many, many of Sonic games are Treason to what Sonic WAS but they don't get hardly as much crap because your pretty boy, non sports tape Sonic is on it. I'm telling you if the levels looked like past levels with the same exact geometry, and we had normal modern Sonic, people would jump on this. "PLAYABLE CHARATCERS!, A TV SHOW, HUB WORLDS" but because it's not "your" damn Sonic it can't be good. It can't have slack. It can't have the benefit of the doubt. 

Don't get me wrong I LOVE, i mean LOVE all what Sonic is for but seeing things I actually want in a Sonic game is exciting. But you calling it Treason? How SO! Theres some type of speed. I mean 06 is a "Sonic" Game but it doesn't have speed and springs are used as mere eye candy. Dashpads literally suck and fling you into things. But because theres the mere sight of them its SONIC? If it didn't have these would it be worse than it already is? Probably not. Slower but not worse. I didn't see a single dash pad in Sonic 1 does that make it less Sonic-y? Dashpads are literally eye-candy! In Sonic 2 the only place I can remember them is in chemical plant because that level emphasized speed. In Sonic 3 they didn't make a return? So... Is Sonic 3 less Sonic-y? Well apparently not because its always referred to as almost "the best" Sonic game. And it barely utilized springs. So? Where is all this coming from. The fact its not main Sonic getting the attention is what I think. Why I should listen to your Treason cry if Sonic Team isn't doing much better with that? hmm?

I'm sick of that. If there's one cold hard fact lying in my mass of anger post it's that Sonic isn't less Sonic without Springs and dashpads. Springs aesthetic wise maybe.To see it maybe. But as in-gameplay? I dunno

Sorry for being a rude fuck, but it's feels like us who are being positive are being treated the same way.

EDIT: I get your cries, I really do. But why do you have to be so harsh on it? BRB FIRST EVER Sonic game. And your Sonic, you know, the one that you think this isn't being enough of. Isn't much more Sonic than this is. If Springs, Speed Boosters and Speed are the only threads holding him together, why not add onto that? If you want your visual Sonic, just try to look past that. If it's REALLY because it doesn't have springs then hah what are you really here for? If Springs and speed boosters are what you really want out of a Sonic game then...?

Edited by Light the Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, it's not Boom! Sonic. It is actually called "Internationally Bangable! Sonic."

http://youtu.be/Ev0cFrhmFCo

(@1:41)

On a more serious note:

I... don't have a solid opinion on this game yet.

On one hand it's new and different, and that's exciting.

But on the other hand it's new and different, and that's scary.

That makes sense, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry for being a rude fuck, but it's feels like us who are being positive are being treated the same way.

Both sides are more or less acting the same on the opposite side of the stick...there is literally nothing that has been accomplished by discussing the whole "Feel of Sonic" because it literally went no where.

• Thumbs Up 3

And now... for a change of pace...

I was wondering if it's likely that this game might get some kind of epic collectors edition? 

When you think about how hard Sega is pushing this rebrand, would it not make sense for them to give us a significant collectors edition of the game?

Not something along the lines of Generations CE's content, but something that would include something like I dunno a mini plush or an artbook? 

As well as the inevitable absolutely useless pre-order DLC.

• Thumbs Up 4

That'd be awesome and great advertising (kinda), I'd get it. Hopefully it'd have like Character redesign concept artbook, to show us how all the character would look redesigned.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hell if the collectors edition was significant enough, I'd probably buy a copy...

Even though I don't own and have no intention of getting a Wii U...

SSMB... HELP ME!

Appealing to everyone's inner merch lover could be a HUGE selling point for this, I think.

We all saw how crazy people go after the Sonic Boom exclusives. Imagine if they included something nifty for this game?

Oh thank fucking God for this change of pace. This topic has been painful to read for the past several pages.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a collectors edition. Huge budget and everything else considered, it would make sense. Really hoping one happens too. I'd love a high quality figure of Sonic. Tomy's stuff looks good, but they're toys and not exactly high quality.

• Thumbs Up 8

Can anyone identify that song in the trailer, by any chance?

SEGA makes use of filler music all the time, but I can't help but wonder if that's a piece of music from the show or game if we don't have a third party who made it.

Totally related, huh?

I wonder why they took music from here, a barely known movie-based video game? The game has been developed and published by Ubisoft, the composers are Marvin Strait, Dre Zagman, Galileo Seven. None of this is related to Sonic in any way.

I'm not the one who found it.

I know I'm late, but there's something about the previous arguments in this thread that really tick me off.

Before Sonic Lost World was released, I was pumped for it, as it looked more or less like my dream Nintendo-exclusive Sonic game. However, everybody around me was spouting some crud about it being "too Mario, not Sonic", however rediculous the claims were. "He's too slow" when he was as fast as Adventure Sonic/Gamegear Sonic. "Too colorful and simple" when the classic games were just that. "Feels too kiddy" when the classic games were just that. Seriously, I could have taken this statement a lot better if people actually brought up decent points about it straying from Sonic's roots, such as "it deviates from the A to B gameplay formula", "it focuses on the battle and not the journey", or "there's freaking final fantasy in my Sonic game!". Yes, it's true that SLW resembled a Mario game, but it's not because Sonic took all of Mario's exclusive traits and slapped Sonic's mug on it. It's because they took all of [iSonic's traits that resembled Mario and all the other Nintendo platforming franchises the most, slapped it into one game, gave it a Sonic-esque twist, and made Sonic Lost World out of it. A Nintendo/Sega fan love letter, if you will. Nearly all traits in this game could be found in previous Sonic games, and as is, it's no less a "Sonic" game than any modern reboot game that's come out yet.

So like I was saying, everyone was trying to harsh my hype for that game, and it sorta did, but by the time it came out, it ended up meeting my expectations, while others were somehow expecting something... Different. I think all the arguing had something to do with it, as the defenders of the game may have gone a bit overboard trying to justify the game in the eyes of the haters.

Evening passed and morning came (AKA a third of a year went by), and Sonic Boom was revealed. This time I'm hyped again, but for different reasons. Ex-es of Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and Crash Bandicoot developer teams are working on it, and while I've only played one of those series (R&C), I love it's gameplay style. Since most of the footage shown loosely follows those same formulas, only with a Sonic twist, the only logical expectation I can possibly have is that it will be made out of pure awesomeness, despite knowing it'll obviously be lacking in the usual Sonic areas.

And that's what I don't get. After so much whining and moaning about not being Sonic enough, on a game that is only just on the barrier of being one rather than jumping right on over and embracing it, a lot of you people snap back into defense mode for this game, even though it clearly, blatantly states that it strays from it's "action-platform roots", focuses on melee combat and exploration over speed and platforming, has all super-speed scripted to lines, and, from what's been shown, has an even slower top-"normal" speed than Lost World itself.

I don't know why, as I usually am on good terms with positivity, but this is just irritating the scrap out of me right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

but this is just irritating the scrap out of me right now.

Yes!!!!

Awesome Transformers Prime reference for the win!

And now... for a change of pace...

I was wondering if it's likely that this game might get some kind of epic collectors edition? 

When you think about how hard Sega is pushing this rebrand, would it not make sense for them to give us a significant collectors edition of the game?

Not something along the lines of Generations CE's content, but something that would include something like I dunno a mini plush or an artbook? 

As well as the inevitable absolutely useless pre-order DLC.

Well, everyone thought the Lives DLC was stupid (it still is) then they played the game.

I'd hope for a collector's edition, the redesigns would be prime for a concept art-filled artbook. I dunno, fancy metal case, stuff like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, everyone thought the Lives DLC was stupid (it still is) then they played the game.

It's still a dumb idea for DLC though, even if the game is hard (which I don't find it to be, but whatever). They didn't package free lives codes with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

It's still a dumb idea for DLC though, even if the game is hard (which I don't find it to be, but whatever). They didn't package free lives codes with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

DK:TF probably doesn't have bullshit level design. Although, the ver 3.0 update for Lost World negates that.

In fairness, you can build up lives fairly easily in Tropical Freeze - it's a challenging game for sure, but never once during my initial playthrough did I come anywhere near the Game Over screen.

Sonic Lost World on the other hand was incredibly stingy with lives upon its release and I saw the Game Over screen more times than I care to admit. As silly as it was, the lives DLC in that case at least had some useful purpose.

We don't know if Sonic Boom will even have depleting lives, though. Most of the games the team has worked on just use infinite lives + a checkpoint system, so it might work the same way for Sonic Boom's gameplay, especially since it's a co-op game.

Oh thank fucking God for this change of pace. This topic has been painful to read for the past several pages.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a collectors edition. Huge budget and everything else considered, it would make sense. Really hoping one happens too. I'd love a high quality figure of Sonic. Tomy's stuff looks good, but they're toys and not exactly high quality.

Be careful what you wish for....

h2_lce_xbox_ntsc_02.jpg