Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

We don't know if Sonic Boom will even have depleting lives, though. Most of the games the team has worked on just use infinite lives + a checkpoint system, so it might work the same way for Sonic Boom's gameplay, especially since it's a co-op game.

On that topic, of the games Big Red have worked on. D'you think rings will be downgraded to purely currency? We know they're obviously coming back, but looking at like, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank. Jax and Daxter, they have collectables but are only used to currency/pure collectables. And with that, do you think we'll have a health bar instead of rings?

Be careful what you wish for....

h2_lce_xbox_ntsc_02.jpg

Yeah! That'll be ummm....tumblr_mc9mgyOrtC1rq0nxv.gif Actually, considering how enjoyable that was I'm not really seeing the point here, so I'm guessing that's a cool awesome thing then?

On that topic, of the games Big Red have worked on. D'you think rings will be downgraded to purely currency? We know they're obviously coming back, but looking at like, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank. Jax and Daxter, they have collectables but are only used to currency/pure collectables. And with that, do you think we'll have a health bar instead of rings?

Going from how those games handled the currency, and what we've seen in the trailer, I'd say yes.

Scattered throughout the level in the form of paths? Check.

Obtainable through defeating enemies and breaking boxes and other items? Check.

Magnetized to draw to the player when he's near them? Check.

The only relation to the normal rings I could see them having is if you lose some after taking damage, or if they slowly regenerate health.

Wonder what the gold bolt/main collectable will be, though. Red rings?

And as for life gauges, there's this:

52f414d3bad9d.image.jpg

Going from how those games handled the currency, and what we've seen in the trailer, I'd say yes.

Scattered throughout the level in the form of paths? Check.

Obtainable through defeating enemies and breaking boxes and other items? Check.

Magnetized to draw to the player when he's near them? Check.

The only relation to the normal rings I could see them having is if you lose some after taking damage, or if they slowly regenerate health.

I'm not sure they'd even do that, looking at the track record.

And as for life gauges, there's this:

52f414d3bad9d.image.jpg

Could just be an energy/mana bar. Like the Enerbeam basically has a battery life of some sort.

The designs are kinda growing on me. I didn't really like them very much when I first saw them. Aside from Knuckles the characters all look a little taller and have bandages and tails has goggles and some kind of belts. I don't really mind the alternate costumes they look kinda neat. Knuckles looks kind of strange compared how he did in the modern games but I can accept it. I just wish they would make his legs match a little more to his body. I will say that I like that he has fingers now, it looks cooler to me than the marshmellowy looking gloves.

The one thing that worries me is that they are going to turn him into a meat head. Knuckles is a thinker and a guardian. If you listen to the way he speaks in Adventure you can tell he is pretty smart. I want to see the character personalities say the same.  

The following gives a bit more insight into Big Red Button's work on Sonic Boom. Info comes from job listings and other official website posts. This info originally surfaced last year, but none of us knew it would be tied to Sonic.

- considered a "next-gen landmark AAA console project"

- described as a "character driven, 3rd person action"

- co-op gameplay

- some sort of mobile integratio

- aim is "delivering authentic gaming experiences that are as fun to watch as they are to play"

- project has a "$19.9 million budget"

- estimated "34-month" production cycle

- present studio headcount of 28 people

Link

Was this ever posted?

If not, then I baulk, at the budget of this game, I simply baulk.

From my calculations, (taking into consideration the middle men) this game (Wii U version only) would need to sell at least more than half a million copies to break even for SEGA and we haven't gotten into the advertising money they're gonna pour into this. The 3DS will surely help so most of the pressure rides on that version selling.

So I guess now we know why SEGA is bringing this to the 3DS too, they would be hard pressed to accomplish anything with Wii U alone.

20 million budget

for a wii u exclusive

omg

if this bombs sega is probably gonna be DONE with the Wii U

• Thumbs Up 5

That's a lot of rings to blow Fast & Daxter: Electric Beam Boogaloo.

Still unsure if that's counting the rest of the Sonic Boom brand or if that's just what it is. If it's just the game, then this is gonna bomb without a single doubt, regardless of the quality put into it. :\

I wrote something in the quality is good thread but i will quickly write it here as well this 20million dollar budget could be when the game was suppose to be multiplatform before the Nintendo partnership

I still think the game will be able to cover most of its cost if it is reviewed well. SEGA can absorb a short-term loss. The idea is that "Sonic is back" and "Sonic is cool" become the main ideas to old and young, respectively. They can make a cheaper game down the line, or a similarly-priced game that will sell better on multiple platforms.

Think of it as a long-term investment. Advertising is a loss at face value, after all, but the value it pays back over time is considerable. Just like insurance. It's foolhardy to not have both, isn't it?

Totally related, huh?

I wonder why they took music from here, a barely known movie-based video game? The game has been developed and published by Ubisoft, the composers are Marvin Strait, Dre Zagman, Galileo Seven. None of this is related to Sonic in any way.

I'm not the one who found it.

Ooo, thank you!

I think it's the fact that Sonic is associated with rock in a lot of the older generations' mind.

I'll be honest, I actually pictured that being some sort of boss theme from Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the other hand you guys, we have no idea what percentage of that budget was already covered by nintendo, so the amount of money needed for profit is less than it would be multiplat

You know what?  I think that the best way to make sure this game sells on the Wii U is to market the hell out of this and the Wii U.  If SEGA and Nintendo can work together on a colossal add campaign, get people (such as parents, kids and casuals) to understand that the Wii U is completely different from the Wii and is really worth getting.  It's a win, win sort of situation.  SEGA get tons of copies of Boom sold and Nintendo can finally get that 3rd party support thanks to their being more Wii U out in the wild.

Let's face it guys.  We can say as much as we want about the game but at the end of the day the game won't sell if Wii U's don't start selling and the sooner SEGA and Nintendo realize that the sooner they are to do something about it.  And hopefully together.

• Thumbs Up 2

SEGA needs to reach into their legacy and remember their insanely clever guerrilla marketing techniques. That's the only way this'll break even.

• Thumbs Up 6

Pulling off a spectacular E3 can also help boost the hype for the better and make the games more known to the gaming community.

There is no way this game stays Nintendo exclusive for more than 6 months at best. They are not going to make a profit off this game if its stays on the WiiU, no matter how well the 3DS version sells. I think they're going to skip the last gen systems though and just port it to the other 2 next gen systems.

The Nintendo Wii U has blast processing. The PS4 and Xbox One doesn't.

So what does blast processing do?

AND THEN THEY MADE A BILLION DAWLLARS

• Thumbs Up 7

There is no way this game stays Nintendo exclusive for more than 6 months at best. They are not going to make a profit off this game if its stays on the WiiU, no matter how well the 3DS version sells. I think they're going to skip the last gen systems though and just port it to the other 2 next gen systems.

doesnt work that way, any game made under the exclusivity deal has to stay on nintendo systems permanently, its like rachet and clank or jak and daxter, however the sequel's another matter

Doubtful, since this game is a contracted exclusive.

We really don't know how tight the exclusivity deal is, but if that's the case, why are they spending $20 million on a game that is only relasing on a console with a 6 million (maybe 7 million by the time the game releases) base?

It would have to have a ridiculous attach rate for a third-party game to make a profit at $20 million. Sega bet on the WiiU being way more successful than it currently is and now they are stuck releasing their big Sonic game on it.

Also, if they're spending $20 million on Sonic Boom, what are they spending on Sonic Team's game? And that one is going to be on all 3 systems.

• Thumbs Up 1

We really don't know how tight the exclusivity deal is, but if that's the case, why are they spending $20 million on a game that is only relasing on a console with a 6 million (maybe 7 million by the time the game releases) base?

It would have to have a ridiculous attach rate for a third-party game to make a profit at $20 million. Sega bet on the WiiU being way more successful than it currently is and now they are stuck releasing their big Sonic game on it.

Also, if they're spending $20 million on Sonic Boom, what are they spending on Sonic Team's game? And that one is going to be on all 3 systems.

Again this budget was probably inacted in 2011 when the game was multiplatfor . And before the Nintendo exclusive deal was signed

You know what would sell this and Wii Us? If SEGA made a deal with Nintendo to do a co-op bundle with this and Mario 3D World. 

Or hey, a normal bundle would work fine too.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what would sell this and Wii Us? If SEGA made a deal with Nintendo to do a co-op bundle with this and Mario 3D World. 

Or hey, a normal bundle would work fine too.

Not eve n a bundle with two mario games or Zelda have been much of a help. This wouldnt either. Plus by doing that your selling the games at a loss because the price only covers the console