Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

• Archie is open to a comic adaptation

*sigh* You know this one is hardly unlikely? I mean, going by what's occurred previously. I mean, unless you intended this...? Wait...what if this list IS true, and Barry is just bluffing...

Sorry pal, but you have to get up puh-retty early in the morning to fool this fella!

I dunno, when asked if Archie would do a Sonic Boom comic in one of their letters, the answer was blocked by SPOILERS label....

• Aaron Webber makes a cameo as an NPC

But... you mean... We're not one step closer to an Aaron Webber action figure?

• Thumbs Up 1

I've already listened to the podcast, which was good. Stephen Frost seems like a really nice guy. He definitely tried to be as honest as he could. 

Based on the footage - where you see Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy move together - I really like just how well detailed and open the world looks. I'm all for the return of an adventure styled game.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting some very distinct Sky Sanctuary vibes from this concept art.

wvyewIx.png

Maybe it's just the ruined temple in the sky look, but...well, if they want to draw from Sonic lore... 

It's possible considering we've seen echidna statues in the trailer.

By the way, some things on that list were plausible (like the Archie adaption), which is why I thought it was real, but I actually laughed when I found out it was fake.

Nope. It was Europe for Lost World so a similar situation can be expected here

No. It' won't be released in Japan. I asked yesterday on Russian analog of SSMB if SB wouldn't be released in Japan and I got some affirmative answers: http://forum.sonic-world.ru/statuses/user/11778-black-doom/?status_id=99053 If you don't know Russian, use any translator.

No need for a translator - there's a number of articles out there confirming that Boom won't be showing up in Japan in any format in Japan. Sonic's already no very popular there, so a spin-off geared specifically towards Western audiences doesn't exactly seem like it would do any better.

If Nintendo didn't force region locking, I'd say that I'd at least hope one version of the game wasn't region locked so those few Japanese fans could pay a few extra quid and import it. Really is a shame for those people.

No. It' won't be released in Japan. I asked yesterday on Russian analog of SSMB if SB wouldn't be released in Japan and I got some affirmative answers: http://forum.sonic-world.ru/statuses/user/11778-black-doom/?status_id=99053 If you don't know Russian, use any translator.

I know that it won't be released in Japan. There seems to be a small misunderstanding here. One member asked if Nintendo would be publishing Sonic Boom in Europe. So I was trying to clarify that Nintendo published Lost World there and now possibly Boom

I don't understand why. Maybe it's just my lack of watching cartoons recently, but some of those lines really had me laughing. Particularly Fortune Cookie Knuckles.

It's Hawaiian T-shirt Shadow all over again. That list may be fake but by goodness some of those ideas sound nice to me. Character builder (presumably for some online mode a la GTA V), Eggman actually having some explanation for his high-tech weaponry besides "lolgenius," Aaron as an NPC (perfectly legit-sounding as well; Ratchet games always throw in one of their deceased staff members, Dan, in a cameo every game).

Oh well, I can always dream!

I'll go grumble there's no Sonic MMORPG now.

• Thumbs Up 1

No need for a translator - there's a number of articles out there confirming that Boom won't be showing up in Japan in any format in Japan. Sonic's already no very popular there, so a spin-off geared specifically towards Western audiences doesn't exactly seem like it would do any better.

Is it wrong that literally the first thing I thought of when I read this was "FUNKEE ACKSHUN"?

• Thumbs Up 5

I wonder if a Western-developed Sonic might not actually stand a better chance of being popular in Japan than Sonic Team's stuff. Japan-developed Sonic hasn't exactly blown Japan away with its Japanesiness, and it's not like Western properties never get popular over there; Disney movies regularly make all the money, as sort of an unfair example.

I guess what I mean is that maybe people there as well as here might be more receptive to a 100% Western Sonic than to one who tries to straddle the line? Consistency over familiarity, or something?

• Thumbs Up 8

I wonder if a Western-developed Sonic might not actually stand a better chance of being popular in Japan than Sonic Team's stuff. Japan-developed Sonic hasn't exactly blown Japan away with its Japanesiness, and it's not like Western properties never get popular over there; Disney movies regularly make all the money, as sort of an unfair example.

I guess what I mean is that maybe people there as well as here might be more receptive to a 100% Western Sonic than to one who tries to straddle the line? Consistency over familiarity, or something?

I doubt it.  From what I hear most of the time, Japanese culture really hates Western based things.  Their are a few proven facts to back up the argument such as Capcom of Japan blaming Western developers for poor sales of game franchises, SEGA of Japan removing videos on Youtube or banning Youtube Channels for even just saying the words Shining Force 3 in a video, all of which Western Youtube Channels and let us not forget Nintendo of Japan trying to steal all of the income most Nintendo based Youtube Channels such as Chuggaconroy or Cobanermani456.

Not only these but it has also been put on record that most Japanese video game companies hate listening to Western video game companies on tips and tricks.

I think these are the main reasons why Sonic Boom won't be hitting Japanese shores any time soon.

Japanese culture is kind of odd. On one hand, in some cases it can seem fairly xenophobic to varying degrees towards the West. But at the same time, there are cases where it absolutely adores Western culture. Why else would they so regularly use English swear words or English words in general? I don't mean transliterating it into Japanese; I mean actually making use of it as is. Hideo Kojima has a great love for Western culture, too.

I think the real tension is in business or anything that involves decision making. Someone else making decisions implies they do it better than you; this is an insult to one's pride, technically, since it implies you're not capable of doing it yourself. National pride is a big part of Japanese culture, so I can understand any Japanese company not really liking the idea of being shown the ropes by a foreigner. This sentiment shouldn't be too odd to us Americans in particular - we have no shortage of national pride ourselves.

So, to the common Japanese person, the mystique of a Western Sonic could actually do fairly well, in theory. I don't think SEGA Japan would be happy with Sonic Boom arriving there, however - it can be interpreted as Western studios saying they can make the brand better than the ones who invented it to begin with. Never mind the possibility it could indeed do better than SEGA Japan's own efforts.

Let's just look at this the simple way. Say you create a product. It doesn't sell well. Then I obtain a license for that product and make a fortune from it. While you get a cut, of course, let's ignore the money; you might feel a slight bit of resentment at your own inability to really market it. This isn't a strange concept; it's actually the basis of the sin of Envy in theology: your desire for someone else's quality leads to resentment.

• Thumbs Up 3

Also, since I don't want to wad through 4 pages of this topic, did anyone else notice the "alternate dimension Knuckles/Eggman" talk in the recording booth? Does that mean there will be 2 of every character?

How will that work

From the sounds of VA work, it sounds like alternate Knux only made it to their side coutesy of eggman nega.

It's possible considering we've seen echidna statues in the trailer.

By the way, some things on that list were plausible (like the Archie adaption), which is why I thought it was real, but I actually laughed when I found out it was fake.

It'd be interesting if they took a new take on past story elements here by saying it's the Sky sanctuary here. It's stick to the mantra of "Familiar but new" as Stephen Frost said and attract old and new fans alike..

*Reads Barry's list*

*Get's really happy*

*Reads spoiler*

Oh you mother Fuuuu... Initiating recovery mod-*explodes*

• Thumbs Up 8

I've yet to actually see the vid myself, so hopefully he's bluffing on some of that stuff.

Japanese culture is kind of odd. On one hand, in some cases it can seem fairly xenophobic to varying degrees towards the West. But at the same time, there are cases where it absolutely adores Western culture. Why else would they so regularly use English swear words or English words in general? I don't mean transliterating it into Japanese; I mean actually making use of it as is. Hideo Kojima has a great love for Western culture, too.

I think the real tension is in business or anything that involves decision making. Someone else making decisions implies they do it better than you; this is an insult to one's pride, technically, since it implies you're not capable of doing it yourself. National pride is a big part of Japanese culture, so I can understand any Japanese company not really liking the idea of being shown the ropes by a foreigner. This sentiment shouldn't be too odd to us Americans in particular - we have no shortage of national pride ourselves.

So, to the common Japanese person, the mystique of a Western Sonic could actually do fairly well, in theory. I don't think SEGA Japan would be happy with Sonic Boom arriving there, however - it can be interpreted as Western studios saying they can make the brand better than the ones who invented it to begin with. Never mind the possibility it could indeed do better than SEGA Japan's own efforts.

Let's just look at this the simple way. Say you create a product. It doesn't sell well. Then I obtain a license for that product and make a fortune from it. While you get a cut, of course, let's ignore the money; you might feel a slight bit of resentment at your own inability to really market it. This isn't a strange concept; it's actually the basis of the sin of Envy in theology: your desire for someone else's quality leads to resentment.

So what are the chances that Sonic Team will get any inspiration from Sonic Boom? Because the main series hasn't been doing very well lately, and I'm not sure if I can handle another game where Sonic is the only playable character and everyone else gets restricted to cutscenes if they're lucky enough to appear at all.

So what are the chances that Sonic Team will get any inspiration from Sonic Boom? Because the main series hasn't been doing very well lately, and I'm not sure if I can handle another game where Sonic is the only playable character and everyone else gets restricted to cutscenes if they're lucky enough to appear at all.

I don't know if they'll see any inspiration, but I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA Sammy forces them to take notes either way. The fact the West has pretty much been given the keys to Sonic for this project reflects some change on the part of the upper echelons of SEGA management, I think, given we have never seen this before. I really think someone high up on the food chain decided that it was time to admit that SEGA Japan just can't sell Sonic well and give someone else a chance.

And if this project does well? I wouldn't be surprised if those same higher ups, whoever they are, similarly demand Sonic Team make projects that match. Even if there's pride on SEGA Japan's part, I think the desire for profits and reputation has outweighed the desire that Japan lead the way. If Sonic Team doesn't perform, I can imagine there being all sorts of consequences.

I believe it is how the western game is designed that affects how the Japanese see it. From what I remember, the Japanese loved Crash Bandicoot. A lot of it was for it's design, being a very straightforward sidescroller with a sort of pseudo 3D design. And it was slower than Sonic, with a camera you didn't need to control for 3D sections. I also remember Jak 1 being popular over there, but Jak 2 was heavily criticized to the point Jak 3 never even got a Japanese version. So a lot of it comes down to art style, name and design.

In the case of Sonic Boom we've seen a bit of a positive reaction from Japanese fans, who may be a sort of signal that they would be privvy to an update to the hedgehog. Sonic has a reputation over there already, so if the more casual Japanese person saw Sonic and Co. with a new look, maybe they'd check Boom out for the sake of curiosity. A lot of it is based on luck at this point though.

I tried catching up with the topic but there was too many pages too read lol.

Any new bit of information on this game?

I only got the 20mill budget part from this topic

I tried catching up with the topic but there was too many pages too read lol.

Any new bit of information on this game?

I only got the 20mill budget part from this topic

Not really. There was a bunch of new concept art in the behind the scenes video, but otherwise very little actual new info. Gotta give it a bit of time yet I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have just seen video from Ganjin Goomba that I think will help people to understand most of what we are discussing ATM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG5gkSl_IjA&list=UUxNcCtPqqGIMEDwDACPVoHg&feature=c4-overview

I think this will help everyone know as to why maybe SEGA decided to have a western developer make a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 5