Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Very illuminating!

I think some of the higher ups basically said that if they don't know American and European culture well after two decades, they probably never will. The solution is obvious: give the West itself a chance to develop a title.

Whatever happens, I'm just hopeful SEGA Japan takes a lot of notes. If Boom does well I'm hoping Sonic Team will try its best to be successful.

I have just seen video from Ganjin Goomba that I think will help people to understand most of what we are discussing ATM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG5gkSl_IjA&list=UUxNcCtPqqGIMEDwDACPVoHg&feature=c4-overview

I think this will help everyone know as to why maybe SEGA decided to have a western developer make a Sonic game.

Dat Ganign Goomba, making more great points as usally :); he always has very interesting information and history with his videos (his Okami ones are a great example) but the fact that he is saying that is huge...he lived in Japan, so he has a clear idea of the of the Japanise mindset.

Its tragically ironic, that these famous Japanese companies like Capcom, Square Enix and the like DOMINATED the industry in the past but are now fighting to get noticed in the sea of western games. Sure Street Fighter and Final Fantasy (well....after the whole FF13 series I'm not to sure about that anymore...) are huge franchises in gaming, but they just don't get us sometimes. Fans in the US WANT more Mega Man, localizations of FINISHED GREAT FF games like Type-0, and in the case of this specific topic, WE WANT SONIC TO BE GREAT!

Sonic Team must know what we want, as they took EVERYTHING fans and critics alike said about Shadow and 06 and (more or less) made sure NONE of that crap was in Unleashed, and eventry Colors and Generations. But...its like they went right back to square one with Lost World; we wanted to see the return of the Adventure gameplay...but not with poorly implemented parkor, we wanted great new uses of the Wisps...not crappy forced Gamepad-controlled Wisps, we wanted more open levels to explore...not a ton of gimmick stages to slog through :( (though at least Sonic Team made a patch that fixed some of those problems).

Don't get me wrong, Lost World is a great game, but it really feels like that the video hit the nail on the head; many of these companies just don't get western places. And the fact that many DONT EVEN CARE to learn what we want from there games is just sad :(. There are positive examples of this, such as Sony having a large mix of Western, European and Japanese developers (with their Studio Japan teams making great games such as Puppeteer and Gravity Rush) and Nintendo actively working with Western Developers with lots of IP (Next Level Games making Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario Strikers Series and Punch Out, Retro Studios making the Metriod Prime Series and the DKCR series, and the golden days of Rare making classic SNES and N64 games for Nintendo).

With Sega taking that mentatlity with Sonic Boom, we will have a game that meets our expecations and bring greatness to the Sonic series :).

Well, I've seen the SEGABits interview with Stephen Frost. One thing's for certain, there's a meteor's worth of reveals, information, etc about Sonic Boom coming our way this E3!

One thing that suddently came in to my mind about the game is that I hope the playable characters are able to perform team-attacks, like in Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood!

In that game it was moves like Blue Bomber(Sonic and Tails), Fast Ball(Sonic and Amy), Revolver Slam(Sonic and Knuckles), Knuckles Sandwich (Knuckles, Sonic and Amy), Hail Storm(Sonic, Knuckles, Amy and Tails)...etc.

In the Sonic Boom game we've can play as two characters in stages and choose which two in the Hub World(except for levels that need certain characters). then it would makes sense to have the characters doing special moves exclusive to the different pairs. And something like Hail Storm in Boss battles with all four. smile.png

Maybe in the game trailer, Sonic and Amy are performing a team move? since Sonic is so fast to kick the robot after Amy rotate-slammed her hammer in it. Just speculation! tongue.png But I do hope it would be moves like that. It would make it even more fun to pair the characters up to see what kind of attacks they would be able to do together!

post-6829-0-29848600-1393676932_thumb.pn

...and Teamwork is a very important factor in this game, they say. So this can be very likely. ...Who doesn't want a Knuckles Sandwich? ;)

One thing that suddently came in to my mind about the game is that I hope the playable characters are able to perform team-attacks, like in Sonic Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood!

In that game it was moves like Blue Bomber(Sonic and Tails), Fast Ball(Sonic and Amy), Revolver Slam(Sonic and Knuckles), Knuckles Sandwich (Knuckles, Sonic and Amy), Hail Storm(Sonic, Knuckles, Amy and Tails)...etc.

In the Sonic Boom game we've can play as two characters in stages and choose which two in the Hub World(except for levels that need certain characters). then it would makes sense to have the characters doing special moves exclusive to the different pairs. And something like Hail Storm in Boss battles with all four. smile.png

Maybe in the game trailer, Sonic and Amy are performing a team move? since Sonic is so fast to kick the robot after Amy rotate-slammed her hammer in it. Just speculation! tongue.png But I do hope it would be moves like that. It would make it even more fun to pair the characters up to see what kind of attacks they would be able to do together!

attachicon.gifsbas.png

...and Teamwork is a very important factor in this game, they say. So this can be very likely. ...Who doesn't want a Knuckles Sandwich? wink.png

Mmm...that would be a awesome idea, escally since it could work like how some of the Eco powers worked in the Jak games; fill up/partially fill up a meter that can be used for "Team" moves (ex: when Sonic is with Tails, this meter could give you two moves; one where Tails lifts Sonic and flies ala Sonic 2 which uses some of the meter and another where Tails Slams a revved up Sonic on the ground, where he would make a whirlwind that makes the enimes fly in the air with the meter is full).

I would love to see something like that in Boom with the larger focus on team work and all, but I'm not sure how they could implement that properly....

• Thumbs Up 2

SOunds cool, but just so long as we don't have to enact them by doing something as stupidly executed as that forced EBA-esque style that Chronicles/Bioware forced on us.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mmm...that would be a awesome idea, escally since it could work like how some of the Eco powers worked in the Jak games; fill up/partially fill up a meter that can be used for "Team" moves (ex: when Sonic is with Tails, this meter could give you two moves; one where Tails lifts Sonic and flies ala Sonic 2 which uses some of the meter and another where Tails Slams a revved up Sonic on the ground, where he would make a whirlwind that makes the enimes fly in the air with the meter is full).

I would love to see something like that in Boom with the larger focus on team work and all, but I'm not sure how they could implement that properly....

Yes! and like in Sonic Heroes when you filled up the meter for the team attack. If team attacks will be a part of the game , it probably most likely will be some kind if fill-up-meter. Or simply, just a button combination, lol. Maybe collecting special objects that power up the character and then it will activate the move.

When Sega say "teamwork", then I kinda expect things like Team attacks, Pair puzzles and such in this game. But you never now, maybe they only say it, because you are able to play as more then one character, then it automatically "teamwork". But I know I really want team-gameplay done at its best.

SOunds cool, but just so long as we don't have to enact them by doing something as stupidly executed as that forced EBA-esque style that Chronicles/Bioware forced on us.

It would be cool, indeed! I always like teamwork gameplay if it fun and not too forced of course smile.png I never did play the game actually, but I think you mean that when you were forced to fight the enemy robots and no way to escape? Yeah, that wouldn't be so cool. I really don't think it they would do that in Sonic Boom. It seems like the typically fight them and earn points or just simply run past them.

Hopefully we get alot, then I mean alot, of gameplay footage and more about Sonic Boom at E3 smile.png

Whens E3 again? Hopefully we get some useful info out of that interview that's going to be had with Stephen Frost. I'm so sad being in the dark D: Well I hope that's what that "meter" shown in the screen is. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Whens E3 again? Hopefully we get some useful info out of that interview that's going to be had with Stephen Frost. I'm so sad being in the dark D: Well I hope that's what that "meter" shown in the screen is. 

Oh how I love the internet.

I'd expect to see some info before E3, maybe new screenshots and a few previews (hand-on or hands-off). 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh how I love the internet.

I'd expect to see some info before E3, maybe new screenshots and a few previews (hand-on or hands-off). 

I knew I'd get that >_< Well what can you say, it was worth a shot. Also I'd really like to see at the very least a sneak peak of how Sonic moves. That's all I want to see for now. (I'd like to see more. But at the very least I'd like that)

New interview with Bob Rafei. Not jam packed with new details, but he did talk about the Enerbeam specifically which interested me. It's used to interact with a variety of things in the game's world, such as zip lines, pull shields away from enemies... it also will appear in the TV show too, when appropriate. 

New interview with Bob Rafei. Not jam packed with new details, but he did talk about the Enerbeam specifically which interested me. It's used to interact with a variety of things in the game's world, such as zip lines, pull shields away from enemies... it also will appear in the TV show too, when appropriate. 

So it's going to be some sort of gimmick? I'm down with that as long as it doesn't force you to use the Enerbeam then I'm good.

So it's going to be some sort of gimmick? I'm down with that as long as it doesn't force you to use the Enerbeam then I'm good.

Oh no. It's going to make you do it alright.  But more in a way like how in Ratchet and Clank did it with that grapple beam thing he got.

Am I the only one who thinks the Ener-beam is going to be heavily influenced in the game and show? I can imagine it being over-used in the show, makes me think of Sonic X with the ring gimmick ... blergh, I'd rather see them use their abilities, as long as it's used slightly for stuff like : when falling to a pit to grab something. Not everytime they fight. 

Oh no. It's going to make you do it alright.  But more in a way like how in Ratchet and Clank did it with that grapple beam thing he got.

And how did Ratchet and Clank did the grapple beam? Will it be forced in a lot of levels?

And how did Ratchet and Clank did the grapple beam? Will it be forced in a lot of levels?

It differs depending on the games; the PS2 games had the grapple be used for very simple things (getting across gaps, activating platforms/objects), the PS3 games had your wrench have grapple features (can pick up objects/throw them, move platforms with the right analog stick, rip off shields) and the spin off game All 4 One the grapple be a tether type device that pulled you towards your friends/AI controlled ailles.

It will be used well, and from the early screen shots/gameplay we've seen, my comments above more or less link to that (Ex: Sonic uses the Ener-beam MP3 Sky Hook style to get across a Sky Sanctuary looking place and a screen shot has Sonic and Amy use the beams to pull switches).

It differs depending on the games; the PS2 games had the grapple be used for very simple things (getting across gaps, activating platforms/objects), the PS3 games had your wrench have grapple features (can pick up objects/throw them, move platforms with the right analog stick, rip off shields) and the spin off game All 4 One the grapple be a tether type device that pulled you towards your friends/AI controlled ailles.

It will be used well, and from the early screen shots/gameplay we've seen, my comments above more or less link to that (Ex: Sonic uses the Ener-beam MP3 Sky Hook style to get across a Sky Sanctuary looking place and a screen shot has Sonic and Amy use the beams to pull switches).

If it used for those kind of purposes, then I don't mind the idea of an Enerbeam since it does look cool using it like in that one clip and if it does provide a way to access alternate routes then that makes it even better. 

Yeah, think of Enerbeams like the Fludd from Sunshine. It's the sort of gimmick that helps progress the game but doesn't feel too out of place or pace-breaking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Except F.L.U.D.D was more than a gimmick, he was the integral core gameplay of Sunshine, you absolutely needed him for most of the game, he was tailored to Mario's play style and incorporated into both his attack and acrobatics, F.L.U.D.D was always an extension of Mario's moves for experienced players.

I can't see the Enerbeams being as important as F.L.U.D.D in terms of gameplay without breaking the flow/pace of the game. When 2 different gameplay styles clash, there is always a battle for equilibrium on which style is to take the lead role in the game, often making one of the 2 gameplay styles weaker than the other, which then forms the question of why did they make that decision in the first place?

They need to keep a balance between the 2 because they can't have Sonic speed gameplay with slow and tedious puzzles/platforming, breaking the flow, because you then feel cheated or frustrated because "YOU CAN'T GO FAST" when the game gave you that taster, this was my main problem with Unleashed, I wanted to go fast at night to get more of that adrenaline rush, but we were stuck with long winded levels with iffy controls when it came to platforming.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, I'm hoping the Enerbeams aren't like, an integral part of the gameplay that will break flow or make me groan and think "not another slow tedious section", there needs to be balance between the two and I hope BRB understand this, otherwise they'll be making a SEGA! Sonic Team mistake RIGHT off the bat with this game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic gets kind of screwed in that regard. They love to give you this sensation of super speed that makes every other type of play absolutely lackluster. It also greatly reduces gameplay time.

It might be best if the whole "boost to win" sort of idea is scrapped entirely in favor of a more moderate speed. When in doubt, make use of illusions to make you seem faster than you're actually going. It could be done in 2D (if I recall Mario's actually faster if you look at the mechanics, but Sonic makes great use of scenery and some elements like the loops to really give the idea that Sonic is faster), so theoretically 3D could work as well?

• Thumbs Up 5

They need to keep a balance between the 2 because they can't have Sonic speed gameplay with slow and tedious puzzles/platforming, breaking the flow, because you then feel cheated or frustrated because "YOU CAN'T GO FAST" when the game gave you that taster, this was my main problem with Unleashed, I wanted to go fast at night to get more of that adrenaline rush, but we were stuck with long winded levels with iffy controls when it came to platforming.

If you want to go fast, Boom probably isn't the game for you anyway. If anything I expect the speed sections are going to be the weird flow-breakers.

And while I've got my complaints about Boom looking slow...

Sonic gets kind of screwed in that regard. They love to give you this sensation of super speed that makes every other type of play absolutely lackluster. It also greatly reduces gameplay time.

It might be best if the whole "boost to win" sort of idea is scrapped entirely in favor of a more moderate speed.

Yeah, they really need to ditch Boost-level speeds, at least as a core mechanic. If the series is going to have any kind of roundness to its gameplay, it can't put such extreme focus on one area. Sonic can still feel fast without needing to go as fast as possible.
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you want to go fast, Boom probably isn't the game for you anyway. 

Quite an ambitious, yet risky statement considering you and me both don't have sturdy information  about how fast the game will be yet.

Sonic, in media has always boasted about being the fastest game character ever created, it's his staple insignia and because of it, people are expecting him to be fast, and they always will from Unleashed onwards, which is a pain because with Sonic's speed as one of the key focuses SEGA are juggling these days, there is very little chance in finding balance in a gameplay style where Sonic will control well, offer us grand landscapes to traverse in a few seconds and giving us platforming that isn't blocky or just tedious because we have to go slow for it.

On one side you have people wanting fast corridor games with lush eye candy visuals restricted behind invisible walls that keep you running straight.

On the other side of the spectrum you have people who want momentum based physics, rolling without uncurling and multiple paths to the goal bringing back.

and in between you have people wanting more character screen time/play from Sonic's other friends, exploration and a decent narrative.

Now if you look at it from everyone's point of view, you combine all this and you make a monstrosity that can never work. You have speed, but lose control and exploration and platforming... You sacrifice Speed for control and exploration and get complaints from being too slow. You surely get my point, we've all been there many, many times before.

Combining ideas isn't a bad thing though, I pointed out a lot of things just don't work, but a lot of things do work, it's all a matter of sacrificing the right things in favour of the better outcome, either way there simply is no way BRB or SEGA can please everyone.

• Thumbs Up 2

One of the many disdvantages of having such a disive fanbase, everyone wants different things from a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 2