Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I'm beginning to think that the combat will end up like the Arkham games, just simpler....

How that would fit with running and jumping that the developers say will have, I don't know. I feel more like it's gonna be like Jak & Daxter, in both the style and the kind of combat that would fit the game. Having Arkham-like battles will destroy the pace of the game. First you are platforming and running, and then you stop all the sudden in Arkham style combat. It's a good combat system, but something like Jak & Daxter or even Ratchet and Clank would suit the pacing that I think they are looking at (Something like Adventure)

Oh, I've never played Jak & Daxter before. Yeah, I was gonna say that Arkham combat wouldn't fit. Also, I hope we get some on the go battles, maybe enemies with jet packs chasing you down and you have to knock them out of the sky?

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps there might be chase format battles.

Wait a fucking second.

Is Sonic Man wearing fucking SA2 SOAP Shoes!?

Yes Indeed.

Wait a fucking second.

Is Sonic Man wearing fucking SA2 SOAP Shoes!?

Aye, it would appear so.  I guess that convinces Sonic Man he's the ultimate grinder.

Let's say I really wasn't humorously talking out of my ass. If this epic beast did appear, I would love to see him and Boom Sonic try and outdo each other. It would probably end ugly, with both entangling themselves in sports tape like mummies, until they inevitably suffocated. 

Oh yeah, takes me back to the discussion of non canon deaths a while ago in the TV show. Can we make this Sonic Man scenario happen please?

• Thumbs Up 2

Seeing Captain Rescue in any modern day officially licensed Sonic related media would probably be the first recorded death due to awesome overdose.

• Thumbs Up 1

So um SEGA, why didn't you give him SOAPS in the City Escape portion of Generations?

License expired my ass.

• Thumbs Up 5

There's one important character we've been overlooking this whole time...

1794763_878110718872123_513851050_n.jpg

Was I the only one who at first thought that his pants were......nevermind.

But one major major MAJOR character that we've been overlooking is....

Big_the_Cat_Sonic_Channel.gif

FWOOOGGYYY! WHER DA FUCK R UUUUUU?

• Thumbs Up 2

So um SEGA, why didn't you give him SOAPS in the City Escape portion of Generations?

License expired my ass.

There was also the SOAPs you could get for your 360 avatar via an achievement in the SA2 360 arcade port. :P

Huh, never noticed Sonic Man was wearing SOAP shoes. Doubt he'll return though since he came from a shitty game and Sonic Boom only seems to be focusing on anthros.

And that counts for you too random pigeon with Japanese name!

Sonic Boom turning the dial the other way from the Adventure-era games and having all anthros and just Eggman representing humans would be kind of weird, but given that the game takes place in the middle of nowhere, I'm guessing there just isn't much of a human population in this region.

That said, Sonic Man would be a good opportunity for self-parody somewhere.  Stick him in a corner in a future game, wrap him up in sports tape, have him standing on stilts.

There was also the SOAPs you could get for your 360 avatar via an achievement in the SA2 360 arcade port. tongue.png

I'm wearing them

<-------

I really hope we don't get Ratchet and Clank combat. I like Ratchet and all, but the combat gets obnoxious with how much damage ordinary enemies can take to kill at times.

Fortunately half the point of Ratchet and Clank is to obtain weapons that are ridiculously overkill in the number of shots fired as much as they are in overall design, so I don't think we'll see that here.

Overall I'm optimistic though. Their credentials mean they'll make a solid game overall, but they have enough concern for the Sonic lore and gameplay that it will be a good Sonic game as well as a good overall game.

...I just hope SEGA America made sure to supply whoever's writing this with a more solid background of Sonic this time around. The lore may not be as important since it's non-canon, but it's still good reference.

Sonic Boom turning the dial the other way from the Adventure-era games and having all anthros and just Eggman representing humans would be kind of weird, but given that the game takes place in the middle of nowhere, I'm guessing there just isn't much of a human population in this region.

You know what?

That's making me imagine all this being reminiscent of the Old West. The animals are the natives, and he's representing the settler factions trying to drive them away. Probably hired by a government to do so, too. A rare case of Eggman actually doing the smart thing and selling his services to a legal authority...

Obviously that would never be touched on, but it's an interesting image. All the humans are pretty much elsewhere and he's the guy who's trying to drive them off the land... probably so he can claim it and sell it to people for a huge profit. If not use it to build an army in isolation so he could take over whatever country he's originally from (whereas if he had tried to build one back home he'd most likely be foiled and imprisoned very quickly).

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh my god guys.....I just had a horrible thought....

...what if Pontac and Warren are writing for the Boom game?

I mean, they were good in Colours and okay in Lost World, but I don't think their style of writing fits a story driven game with a lot of character development.

I really doubt Pontac and Graff are going to do the story for this game. BRB may have its own writers, speaking of do we know who the writers are of BRB? Do we have any history on them?

I really hate that this is considered a "horrible thought".

Exactly. Wii348, do you think the writers for Sonic Heroes, ShtH and Sonic 06 were not horrible then? =/

Anyway, I doubt Pontac 'n Graff will be writing this since they're strictly with SEGA. Even if the humour from what we've heard is quite similar to their style it doesn't sound quite as corny or cheesy. Also, the games are all about character development and stuff which we haven't seen in a SEGA Sonic game since Sonic Unleashed. Oh there is! It's just focused solely on Sonic and Tails. And isn't always done so well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly. Wii348, do you think the writers for Sonic Heroes, ShtH and Sonic 06 were not horrible then? =/

That's kind of a strawman, don't you think? The games you mentioned were badly written, but for different reasons and in different ways than Colors or Lost World.

• Thumbs Up 3

I really hate that this is considered a "horrible thought".

While they're better than the previous writers for Sonic games, but "being better than the story in a Sonic game" is an incredibly low bar to set. Their writing is still pretty bad.

In Colours the jokes are hit or miss, and when they hit it feels like they go on for about 10 seconds too long. In Generations there was barely any story at all. And in Lost World (the first time they got to make up the entire story) Sonic and Tails suddenly became dicks and the attempts at more serious moments were laughable at best.

Christ, I certainly hope they don't go for the really fucking stupid and bland fursecution story of "the bad bad humans are invading us oh nooooooooo"

• Thumbs Up 3