Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Most Sonic games tend to be released everywhere at least within the space of a week, if not two. 

Shame such wasn't so for North America when it came to Lost World.

Apart from the ability to roll down slopes (which was never that big a deal in the 3d games), Sonic has always moved like someone in a "generic 3d platformer".

No, he hasn't. Whether the games take advantage of it or not is a separate issue, but the majority of games have at least had heavy momentum, high top speeds, and the ability to run on walls and ceilings. And as for the games where he doesn't, all that means is that they were pretty shitty Sonic games too.

The level design doesn't look too bad either. It actually reminds me of the hub worlds in Adventure and Unleashed.

I don't think the level design reminding you of things that aren't levels is a good sign. 

In that case, it's about time they designed in-depth combat that doesn't break the game's flow, don't you think?

No? There's never been any need for it and standing around fighting enemies is pretty much antithetical to platformer flow.

Based on what, exactly?

The fact that it doesn't fit with anything else they've shown?

I'm beginning to think you want Sonic Boom to be a disaster for some reason.

If this is the kind of shit you're going to resort to, I'm not even going to bother responding to your posts. If you want to argue against my points that's one thing, but if you are going to act like I'm just trying to stir up shit or ruin things for everyone then you are insulting me.

Pray tell, why do you, yourself view it that way? And with so little and pre-mature a sum of factual knowledge about the game to boot?

Because it seems obvious by looking at it. I don't really know what I can say to explain it if you can't see the difference yourself.
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Pac Man & TGA game isn't out in the UK until the show airs. That's what I'm worried about with Boom...

Well, the show is launching in America and France first as it's a French production, so it shouldn't be a problem. They've said a few times that they're unsure about release dates for the game yet, and that it won't matter which you see first.

Shame such wasn't so for North America when it came to Lost World.

It was within just 11 days of the European release, so less than two weeks. And it was originally supposed to be released only six days later. So yeah, it was so for Lost World.

It was within just 11 days of the European release, so less than two weeks. And it was originally supposed to be released only six days later. So yeah, it was so for Lost World.

If I recall correctly, it got an unbearable additional delay to the US as well.

If I recall correctly, it got an unbearable additional delay to the US as well.

Like I said, it was only eleven days later than in Europe, and that's including the delay. Originally it was only six days difference. October 18th for Europe, October 29th for America. It was originally supposed to be October 24th.

Because it seems obvious by looking at it. I don't really know what I can say to explain it if you can't see the difference yourself.

Oh god not this again! If I had a nickel for every-time someone said that at me about how Lost World was "dumb"/"not a Sonic game"/"insert opinionated statement about the artwork/etc, I'd be rich enough to buy the entire Disney stock and franchise!

This is one of the cases where that's an insufficient excuse that can very well give off the notion that people are "blind" to this obvious difference. And of course, I don't take to kindly to that.

Not trying to argue against your point here Dio but what part of the game (of what we've seen so far) looks like the movement is incorrect? If your talking about that one clip during the last interview where we saw them moving through the hub world then that's only because its the hub and I guess they wanted to make them intentionally go slower there but if we're talking about stuff from the announcement trailer then I don't really know what to tell you because all we really saw were those on rail's loop sections and sonic running on water in terms of much movement (ignoring the stuff with knuckles, amy, and tails. And even then those looked pretty natural to standard sonic adventure gameplay). If there is something else im missing here I'd like to know because besides the combat, everything else looks like it moves like a sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, he hasn't. Whether the games take advantage of it or not is a separate issue, but the majority of games have at least had heavy momentum, high top speeds, and the ability to run on walls and ceilings.

Well maybe I didn't notice that, because maybe that stuff just isn't important to me!

And as for the games where he doesn't, all that means is that they were pretty shitty Sonic games too.

No. The quality of a Sonic game is not determined by any of the things you mentioned. You're behaving like a fanboy now.

I don't think the level design reminding you of things that aren't levels is a good sign.

It is when you've been wanting levels to look more like the hub worlds for a good while now. I like having exploration in my Sonic games.

No? There's never been any need for it and standing around fighting enemies is pretty much antithetical to platformer flow.

So what if it was never something that was required? Anyway, I don't think you'll be "standing around". Those wide open spaces make me think you'll be moving constantly, even when you fight.

If this is the kind of shit you're going to resort to, I'm not even going to bother responding to your posts. If you want to argue against my points that's one thing, but if you are going to act like I'm just trying to stir up shit or ruin things for everyone then you are insulting me.

If you don't want people to assume that's what you're doing, maybe you should stop complaining that Sonic Boom doesn't match your vision of an ideal Sonic game. We get it already, you don't need to keep bringing it up!

My personal feelings; I'll say that for a Sonic game, it looks very different. But I'm fine with that, I like a lot of what we've heard already with the game bring story driven and the multiple playable characters. I think the graphics looks nice too, that part in the CryEngine 3 demo with the sunlight moving over sunflowers was absolutely beautiful.

Still, I can see why some of you are uneasy and I respect their reasons. It's a very different approach, and the difference will of course be jarring to some people. I do think though that maybe you should wait until we see more at E3, you never know, they may show off something that you'll really like. :)

• Thumbs Up 3

The game is obviously going to be different some people are less accepting of that than others. 

Jova did we really need to fill all those pages with this argument that isn't going ever because of that.

Anyway heres a picture that was only up for one frame.

sbs1.jpeg of our only  view of the projectile enemy. Also is that a new enemy to the right.

After seeing that news article on the stadium about a HD picture of concept art, it's interesting about all these characters. It kind of ruins the fact that Sonic and his friends are exploring a abandoned world when it seems it will have lots of characters. Marine makes a odd appearance on that concept art board too, but her head is shaped like a damn boomerang. Well, she is using one (Facepalm)

Sonic-Boom-Concept-Artwork-Adjusted-300x

It's not an abandoned world though, it's a world they've never been to, doesn't mean there aren't inhabitants.

• Thumbs Up 4

If you don't want people to assume that's what you're doing, maybe you should stop complaining that Sonic Boom doesn't match your vision of an ideal Sonic game. We get it already, you don't need to keep bringing it up!

Get off your high horse. If people have the right to drone on about how amazing Boom is going to be, then others also have the right to criticize it as they see fit and within reason. That's a dichotomy of discussion you're going to have to live with if you actually want to talk about things with people. And this isn't even relevant to the fact that you originally said he wanted the game to fail, which is a douchey thing to say. Ultimately, if you have a problem with what anyone is saying- and they're not breaking the rules- either put them on ignore or leave the thread. You literally have no authority to tell someone to stop talking about something on here.

• Thumbs Up 7

Get off your high horse. If people have the right to drone on about how amazing Boom is going to be, then others also have the right to criticize it as they see fit and within reason.

Criticism is one thing, being a killjoy and saying the game is going to be terrible at every opportunity is another.

And this isn't even relevant to the fact that you originally said he wanted the game to fail, which is a douchey thing to say.

What reason do I have to believe that he doesn't want the game to fail though?

You literally have no authority to tell someone to stop talking about something on here.

I'm aware of that, and I wasn't trying to tell him what to do. I just lost my patience, that's all.

Being a killjoy usually means a person likes saying negative things to get a rise out of people.

Dio is and has never been such the sort and you know it.

I think it's more how he approaches posting is all. How some things are worded, can make him come off as if he's wanting it to be bad. Not saying he is but.

Also we understand just as we have a right to like it, others have the right to dislike it, but internet makes it hard to feel how the other is coming off as, which can derail our train of thought.

As for me and Boom characters, I like how varried they are but am not liking the direction of some of them. Some look like they'd come out of a random TV show. Like the cook looking one. It's just kinda weird to me. I wouldn't expect that out of Sonic. Its more or less just his face and expression that makes him look liked he'd come out of the likes of.. I can't put my finger on it.

EDIT: Spoiler'd thoughts on above things

Edited by Light the Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 2

All I wanna know if the 3ds version will be any good or as good as the console version.

Lost world kinda sucked for 3ds.

I hope it's open world.

I just hope they have a really sweet reward for if you have both versions.

I forget if there was a reward for having both versions of Lost World but if there was one... it wasn't really worth getting both.

Well some sort of connectivity was mentioned for both versions....can't remember where...

All I wanna know if the 3ds version will be any good or as good as the console version.

Lost world kinda sucked for 3ds.

I hope it's open world.

Sanzaru games is behind the 3DS version, and they've done some good work according to Wikipedia. I wouldn't worry too much. Apparently the 3DS version has Adventure gameplay too. (fuck yes.)

I just hope they have a really sweet reward for if you have both versions.

I forget if there was a reward for having both versions of Lost World but if there was one... it wasn't really worth getting both.

A bonus playable character would be awesome, I got a theory that there might be extra playables in competitive mode(and perhaps postgame in one player, though in that case they would proably be skins)

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as I'm concerned, the 3DS game not just having a worse version of the console game's story is reward enough in itself.

It's hard to say what special rewards there might be (if any), since we know so little about how the games play, what kinds of normal unlockables there'll be, whether there'll be DLC... it'd be cool if there was something, since I'm actually planning to buy both versions for once unless one of them turns out to be terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

-The game has two fixed characters in each zone as part of its cooperative affair, though all four will be taking part in the speed segments and boss battles (this detail really piqued my interest).

ive lost faith in this game

Care to explain why? I don't really see much of an issue with that, what's particularly grinding your gears about it?

Well it is a co-op game and you can't just dismiss a game because all the characters going fast and it's kind of unfair. Heck, they might only be minor parts of the level. You should be more open to these kind of ideas, I'm pretty sure everyone will play as Sonic and he will be treated with respect in this game since he is the main character after all.

Edited by Soni
  • Thumbs Up 6