Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

It would be cool to get a whole area dedicated to unused stuff and concept art that you can explore like the insomniac museum in R&C.

• Thumbs Up 1

How do we know that they're unused drafts? Maybe they are locations that will end up in the final game.

I'm really on the edge of my seat whenever we receive little tidbits of new info about this game, but at the same time I'm trying to pull myself back up and remain modest so I don't repeat what I did back on Lost World's hype train. (I'll just say, so many people tried to tell me. I didn't listen. I regret that decision.)

I'm not saying that Boom will be bad, because so far it sounds like it's going to be a great game. But I think being cautiously optimistic would be a good idea for me. After all, we haven't seen much yet. Once I see some gameplay at E3, given I think I'll be able to make judgement. It seems that BRB are aiming for consistency, so if what I see at E3 impresses me, I think I'll be able to trust them.

By the way, does anyone think that the game will be ported to other systems later on? A bit like Rayman Legends, just without the delay for the Wii U version. I think putting it on other systems might be a good idea as it is a game that is meant to precede the show. People will no doubt be interested, but I don't think many will buy a Wii U for it. As for the 3DS version, that's pretty much a different game under the same title, but I believe that version will do well.

Speaking of extra content & unlockables, are the Red Star Ring's returning in this game or at least a Trophy Room like in Sonic Generations? I found those quite enjoyable during my free time after game. There might even be Red Star Rings for each area and if you collect all of em in that area you get a cool upgrade for either Sonic, Amy, Knuckles or Tails =P. With 4 characters & each character having their own abilities is gonna open alot of replay value in these zones, some might require upgrades to reach a new point in the zone to unlock more upgrades, music or art! Sorta like how in Unleashed you kinda had to go out of your way to find music & art, heck we might even have multiple missions in these areas & zones like Sonic Unleashed! 

I'm pretty sure there might be unlockables but I doubt it would be in Red Star Rings, probably we could get a good idea if we knew how Jak and Daxter or Spyro did unlockables, did those games have unlockables by any chance?

Edited by Soni

Im afraid Sonic wouldnt have any awesome ablities like his friends. His friends will be larger then life. Sonic will be the basics sad.png

I'm pretty sure they will make Sonic unique (Maybe he is the only one who can do a spin dash or whatever). I can see where you are going (points at Sonic 4: Episode II). In that game, Tails was pretty much Sonic except he could fly and swim, did I mention he could fly?

I'm pretty sure they will make Sonic unique (Maybe he is the only one who can do a spin dash or whatever). I can see where you are going (points at Sonic 4: Episode II). In that game, Tails was pretty much Sonic except he could fly and swim, did I mention he could fly?

That's the point...unless you're mentioning the forced teamwork mechanic.

I know Sonic will be unique, BR knows that he has 4 main characters to play as with different skills and other stuff that makes them genuine that another character can't do cause hell, I know damn well Amy or Knuckles can run on water Lmao =D! In one of the gameplay video's we saw Knuckles climbing, Tails flying around, Amy swinging from pipes & Sonic spinning up ramps. My guess is Knuckles is the strength department, Amy is the flexibility department, Tails is the flying & brains department & Sonic is the speed department. I'm not exactly sure how they'll play out in the final product but my guess is it'll be something like that for their play styles.

• Thumbs Up 3

From BRB

to work out initial timing for his movement rates, jump parabolas, double jump timing, ledge grab, etc. 

Ahhhh... I wanted an Adventure-esque homing attack :(

Some of Sonic's main skills:

Lightspeed Dash: Dashes through dem rings

Boost/Air Boost: Boosts you forward at high speeds

Spindash: Boosts you forward like the Boost, in this game it could help you spin up ramps and other stuff though.

Wall Jump: Sonic jumps between walls and stuff (I hope this gets used in this game & in 3D sections instead of the normal 2D)

Homing Attack: Homes in on enemies(Hopefully they have the multiple target like in Lost Worlds) 

Slide: Helps Sonic go underneath objects

These are pretty much Sonic's main skills, I'm not exactly sure how many will make it in Boom though, I'm glad the double jump & ledge grabbing is back because the ledge grabbing has saved my ass so many times in Lost Worlds =O. 

No, this one will stay nintendo exclusive, since due to the exclusivity agreement Nintendo already contributed a chunk of cash to this games development, you could compare it to Bayonetta two, sequels could end up on other platforms, but not this one

No, this one will stay nintendo exclusive, since due to the exclusivity agreement Nintendo already contributed a chunk of cash to this games development, you could compare it to Bayonetta two, sequels could end up on other platforms, but not this one

For now. If this Boom thing really starts to take off later on, I can definitely see it being ported to the PS4 and Xbone, for some extra mula. I doubt this entire Boom side series will remain Nintendo exclusive in entirety, and when its sequels are bound to go multi platform, it's only guaranteed that the start of a hit will be ported.

For now. If this Boom thing really starts to take off later on, I can definitely see it being ported to the PS4 and Xbone, for some extra mula. I doubt this entire Boom side series will remain Nintendo exclusive in entirety, and when its sequels are bound to go multi platform, it's only guaranteed that the start of a hit will be ported.

But this game, falling under the exclusivity contract means that Nintendo had to contribute a certian amount of money intot he game development which means that they have the rights to the game, same situation as colors, SR, and BK

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure there might be unlockables but I doubt it would be in Red Star Rings, probably we could get a good idea if we knew how Jak and Daxter or Spyro did unlockables, did those games have unlockables by any chance?

Daxter had the precursor orbs in the first game and eggs to collect in the other games.

Uncharted had little fragments you collected.

I could see them bringing back Red Star Rings because that's been a staple in Sonic games recently. Yeah, this is a spinoff, but it could still be red star rings to use in place of things you collect in other games.

Autosaver, I'm pretty sure that Precursor Orbs were even in Jak 3 as well. Yeah, right here: http://jakanddaxter.wikia.com/wiki/Precursor_orb_locations/Jak_3

EDIT: Precursor Orbs are in every Jak game except Combat Racing.

No, I don't see SEGA breaking their word about this game and robbing the Wii U of its exclusive. Seriously, if people could get/stay on board with Sonic having come out of Dreamcast exclusivity, and if Kingdom Hearts 3 can supposedly draw in a Microsoft audience, future Sonic Boom games should be just fine. Inb4 the usual quips and jabs at the Wii U. Besides, earlier BRB stated that you don't need to have necessarily played the prequel game to get Boom and its lore either.

What I do see is them observing the reception, and overall Boom sales, in the chances and likelihood that they'll make future games multi-platform.

• Thumbs Up 4

The sequels will most certainly be multi-plat. Nintendo only has exclusivity for the two versions we're getting now.

Maybe this one might be a timed exclusive though. But as people have said, future games are bound to be multiplat,

Doubtful that it's a timed exclusive, knowing Nintendo's current drive for exclusives and the fact that SEGA's not really been one to go for such a form of timed exclusivity.

It's similar to what you said earlier about how the Wii U shouldn't hog all the exclusives Wil, except this time it's the vice versa. Let the Wii U actually have and hold on to it's great exclusives. There's sure to be plenty to satiate the other consoles.

I never said that I wanted it to lose exclusives though, I was just wondering about the chances of it going multiplat. I agree that the U needs exclusives.

I never said that I wanted it to lose exclusives though, I was just wondering about the chances of it going multiplat. I agree that the U needs exclusives.

This should be compared to Colors, BK, and SR, not Rayman legends, in this case Nintendo actualy forked over a decent amount of cash to help with development, which means SEGA is contractualy obliged to keep it exclusively to nintendo systems. If it is a ground breaking sucess it might get a legacy version on the next nintendo console, but wont be going anywhere else

Also if it is a major groundbreaking sucess and moves a ton of its own, and Wii-u units, exclusivity could continue, but it would have to be pretty massive, however this being legendary combined with MK8, SSB4, and an overly hyped Hyrule Warriors, X, and Bayonetta 2 all within this year could move a ton of units, especialy if nintendo throws us some big ones

• Thumbs Up 4

This should be compared to Colors, BK, and SR, not Rayman legends, in this case Nintendo actualy forked over a decent amount of cash to help with development, which means SEGA is contractualy obliged to keep it exclusively to nintendo systems. If it is a ground breaking sucess it might get a legacy version on the next nintendo console, but wont be going anywhere else

Also if it is a major groundbreaking sucess and moves a ton of its own, and Wii-u units, exclusivity could continue, but it would have to be pretty massive, however this being legendary combined with MK8, SSB4, and an overly hyped Hyrule Warriors, X, and Bayonetta 2 all within this year could move a ton of units, especialy if nintendo throws us some big ones

If Nintendo helped with the costs, then yeah it's only fair that it remains exclusive. That also means that any losses won't be directly on SEGA, it will be agreed between the two companies (as would profit). Hopefully MK8 will drive Wii U sales (see what I did there?) so the userbase is higher, so more units will sell.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never said that I wanted it to lose exclusives though,

I didn't say you did. I was referring to when you said the Wii U shouldn't hog all of the exclusives, and stated that such is true, but the Wii U should be able to hold on to its exclusives as well.

And yes, I saw what you did there!biggrin.png

I can't really see how this project might take off to the PS4 & Xbox1 because this is a Nintendo/Sega contract, there's already so much money placed on both the Wii U & 3DS. Since everyone and their brother has a 3DS I expect good sales for that version, a lot of people have the Wii U too but it's not like everyone owns one because I know I don't =/. 

There's always a possibility but my vote goes for Wii U & 3DS only as of this point, we might see the PS4 or Xbox1 get their version of Sonic Boom even though this project has been in the making since like.. idk Generations? Wasn't Boom originally supposed to be a computer game or something?

I can't really see how this project might take off to the PS4 & Xbox1 because this is a Nintendo/Sega contract, there's already so much money placed on both the Wii U & 3DS. Since everyone and their brother has a 3DS I expect good sales for that version, a lot of people have the Wii U too but it's not like everyone owns one because I know I don't =/. 

There's always a possibility but my vote goes for Wii U & 3DS only as of this point, we might see the PS4 or Xbox1 get their version of Sonic Boom even though this project has been in the making since like.. idk Generations? Wasn't Boom originally supposed to be a computer game or something?

It started development on the pc just like lost world and well every game ever made honestly. Every game is developed on a pc, but that doesn't mean it's a pc game or being developed for the pc dev kit.

It started development on the pc just like lost world and well every game ever made honestly. Every game is developed on a pc, but that doesn't mean it's a pc game or being developed for the pc dev kit.

Oh, damn now I feel stupid >.>

Srry 4 the double reply, my laptop is lagging