Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

- game will center on an adventure in an ancient land
- lots of exploration and melee combat
- also includes high-speed traversal
- 3DS game will feature a different story and level architecture but happens in the same world
- game overall is similar in structure to Sonic Adventure, in that it'll feature a main hub and missions branching off that

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH.png

I am SO hyped for ALL of this! <3

Don't give me this crap. We've had boost gameplay for five goddamn years and that's if you completely ignore the Rush games. The point is that this is specifically referred to as being separate from something like Lost World.

Wow, FIVE YEARS. It's a LIFETIME when you think about it! Except, well, we've also had very special perks in each of them that occupied half or more of the gameplay. So shrugs. You could also have boost gameplay here and it'd still be something else entirely in the big picture.

This almost sounds like Sonic Adventure 3 with elements of Heroes and atmosphere from the Boost trilogy lol.

definitely worried about the sound of melee combat, hope it's not really slow and boring.

If this were the Sonic Team then i'd be with you on this, but since this game is being handled with devs that have actual talent.....

Both Crash bandicoot and Jak and Daxter handled melee combat excently, so I'll give the team a benefit of the doubt

• Thumbs Up 1

one episode of the show has Sonic firing Tails from his sidekick position
- Eggman applies for the position

Eggman confirmed for best character.

(god I hope we get playable Eggman.)

• Thumbs Up 3

Melee combat sounds like "a billion enemies and button mashing every five seconds". The sort of thing that one would expect from any and every cheap TV/movie tie in game. Bleugh. That doesn't sound good. But otherwise the game looks potentially great!

• Thumbs Up 5

So after about two hours of feeling utter despair, I managed to scrounge up enough anger to care about this again :P

The game looks very fun to play. It's in good development hands, too. The vague plot hint looked interesting too, and I like button mashers so yay!

... so if only the art design didn't go pretty much 100% against everything I like in this franchise and in cartoons in general I'd be very happy :P

However, with the clarification that it won't be replacing the actual canon, I can deal with it. Heck, I'll probably even buy the game. Not so sure on watching the show, harder to ignore the art in a show than in a game.

Also have to say I'm taking some joy on having been told that the silhouettes weren't enough to form an opinion on this, and well, now it's revealed it's everything I feared when I saw the silhouettes :V

• Thumbs Up 1

definitely worried about the sound of melee combat, hope it's not really slow and boring.

Well, it's from the former devs of naughty dog. I can guarantee they will do something right.

As long as its a new spinoff and not the new face of the franchise, I'm all for trying something new. Its not EXACTLY what I wanted; I wanted a spinoff sub-series for the MAIN canon, not a new canon all-together, but I'll take what I can get.

I still hate Knuckles' design and Eggman's design is starting to bother me as well. But everyone else looks fine (of course I wasn't worried about them.)

Oh please. Give it a chance.

I think he's being sarcastic.... No one for the most part is actually thinking this is gonna be 06 part 2.

I am literally laughing my ass off!

Knuckles' new design, Skrillex, Tails with a laser gun, actual multiple playable characters... Something about this isgiving me a 06 vibe... I'm cautiously optimistic

• Thumbs Up 2

I think he's being sarcastic.... No one for the most part is actually thinking this is gonna be 06 part 2.

You can't be so sure about that...

But if he was being sarcastic, then I apologize.

GameXplain analysis of the redesigns and gameplay trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgJ4SWxhR8A

• Thumbs Up 2

You can't be so sure about that...

But if he was being sarcastic, then I apologize.

I did say I think, implying I'm not claiming he was.

Anyway, I'm finding it hilarious that after begging for multiple characters, it's finally done and lots of people are less than enthused.

I am literally laughing my ass off!

Knuckles' new design, Skrillex, Tails with a laser gun, actual multiple playable characters... Something about this isgiving me a 06 vibe... I'm cautiously optimistic

Considering it's Tails, it makes sense if you ask me.

I can only imagine what Rouge, Shadow and Silver would look like....

Melee combat sounds like "a billion enemies and button mashing every five seconds". The sort of thing that one would expect from any and every cheap TV/movie tie in game. Bleugh. That doesn't sound good. But otherwise the game looks potentially great!

But the previous games like Jak and Crash (and Sly Cooper) had really simplistic and not to frustrating melee combat (Jak 2 had other frustrations, just to get that out there). There weren't always a million enemies swarming you except for rare and tense moments, and unlike Unleashed or Heroes the weakest enemy didn't take six hits to kill. Nevermind Jak and Sly had abilities that could one shot any enemy short of a miniboss if you got swarmed.

I think we can be a little more optimistic as far as this goes going by their record. Not that this doesn't warrant caution, but I can have better hopes than Sonic Team when it comes to this department.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest, as minute of a complaint as it is, Sonic's blue arms hurt more than Knuckles's redesign.

I've kinda already accepted Knuckles's death. Whatever they do to his corpse doesn't really matter to me.

That's what I'm hoping myself, and it DOES sound like that's their intention. I mean, come on, it'd be great to be able to switch on the fly if you feel like exploring something out of reach rather than actually having to switch.

That's what I'm hoping myself, and it DOES sound like that's their intention. I mean, come on, it'd be great to be able to switch on the fly if you feel like exploring something out of reach rather than actually having to switch.

Sonic Heroes done better basically? I can get behind this

Did autosaver post this somewhere?

Coming from a Joystiq feature...

Those hoping Sonic Boom will make it to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are out of luck. Steve Singer, Nintendo's VP of licensing, was at the event to emphasize that Sonic Boom represents the second of three planned Sonic exclusives for Nintendo machines.

So...are we saying that Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games doesn't count? This seems like a mistake to me. We've put in word with Nintendo to try and find out. Thanks to VGamer and Autosaver for the heads up.