Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I thought they said that the game was supposed to the pilot-esque prequel to Boom the tv-show.

Isn't that what the game itself is, though? Unless the movie would be an adaptation of the game... which is a prequel to the show...

...huh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't that what the game itself is, though? Unless the movie would be an adaptation of the game... which is a prequel to the show...

...huh.

Yep, pretty much.

What I mean is, game first, then movie to kick start the show, then the show.

I dunno. A tv movie seems like it'd be rather... redundant after the game already had an epic plot introducing the setting and characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps the game prequel, and then the show, and then the TV movies of the game to provide a prequel for those who haven't played the game ?

Perhaps the game prequel, and then the show, and then the TV movies of the game to provide a prequel for those who haven't played the game ?

For trying to sell the game, that would be a dumb move to take. If the audience is interested in the story and you wanted the game to sell, why would you waste time and money on a movie adaption of the game rather than having a movie and game with different stories?

If it's just concept art for a stage icon, then I'm begging Frostman now to make sure this idea makes it into the final product because holy shit does it look good and give me SA Emblem vibes.

Pls Stephen.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://nintendoenthusiast.net/news/sonic-boom-use-enhanced-version-crytek-3-engine-standard-engine-wouldnt-suffice/

Usually the Wii U isn’t associated with being a graphic powerhouse, so the fact that when Sonic Boom was announced to be using the Crytek 3 engine, people took notice. What was once considered “unbelievable” on the system, the trailer for Sonic Boom looked like it could easily be on the PS4 or Xbox One, but was exclusively for Wii U. Now, new details are emerging that the standard Crytek 3 engine actually couldn’t handle Sonic Boom.

Sega of America producer Stephen Frost recently said that the Crytek 3 engine was chosen because of “association” with the engine and lush, tropical, and “beachy” things, which is the goal of the environments of Sonic Boom. Big Red Button CEO (and ex-Naughty Dog member) Bob Rafei went on to say they have a close working relationship with the Crytek team in Germany, and that the actual Crytek 3 engine didn’t have the ability to run the game in split-screen mode, so the team at Big Red Button had to enhance the engine to be able to the split-screen between the TV and the GamePad that is planned.

Sonic Boom seems to be shaping up to be a very ambitious Wii U title that I’m sure a lot of fans are looking forward to. Is Sonic Boom on your radar? Let us know the in the comments below!

hmm.. Interesting article..

What do you think about this?

It's beliveable as all of the games currently made with CryEngine 3 have no split-screen multiplayer.

So wait, the Wii U is running an enhanced Crytek 3? Does that mean it's more powerful and complex than the traditional one, or did they just modify the code to run specifically for Wii U?

Because what I'm reading is that the Wii U is running Crytek 3 and outputting graphics on par with or greater than PS4 and Xbone.

Am I reading that right? That sounds unbelievable. 

So wait, the Wii U is running an enhanced Crytek 3? Does that mean it's more powerful and complex than the traditional one, or did they just modify the code to run specifically for Wii U?

Because what I'm reading is that the Wii U is running Crytek 3 and outputting graphics on par with or greater than PS4 and Xbone.

Am I reading that right? That sounds unbelievable. 

From what I can tell in my limited knowledge, a more appropriate word would be a modified Crytek engine. That is, they've optimised it for split-screen (which the stock one cannot do). As far as 'PS4/Xbone graphics' go, that article went off the trailer so that's opinion really. 

It's basically the regular the CryEngine 3 with split screen support. So it's sort of enhanced, but doesn't have any new graphical features, etc.

It's a legit, no-holds barred enhancement, but I'm not quite sure it's more powerful than the PS4.

It's a legit, no-holds barred enhancement, but I'm not quite sure it's more powerful than the PS4.

The engine is only as powerful as the system that it runs on and the people developing on it. It's not more powerful than the PS4 (though how an engine and a system are even comparable is beyond me). 

It's an enhancement in the sense that it can now allow for split-screen gameplay, but in every other sense it's more more along the lines of optimisation for the Wii U specifically. I doubt the Cry Engine has been specifically improved run on the Wii U, rather just what necessary and possible has been done.

• Thumbs Up 5

But you never know, there's been a serious problem with consoles of a generation not proving their power as of recent, and the Wii U is no exception. This game may be what makes the Wii U a main competitor in this gen, where the Wii wasn't in the seventh Generation (still had some damn great games, but it wasn't that powerful)

• Thumbs Up 1

About that logo. I think if it does appear in-game, it's most likely just an emblem. Think about every 3D game up until Shadow had them, then 06 brought them back. So I think it's merely just those little things c:

I definitely liked how detective you got there though! I think because of it taking inspiration from SA1 they could possibly be field emblems you collect akin to the emblems in SA1 or for more recent comparison the red rings. Also earlier in the topic we discussed how BRB older games like crash or jak had much collectables to be had through finding gems? Or something, so I think that this might be a mix ya know? Like SA1 emblems and BRB gems/other. And that could be logo on them.

About that logo. I think if it does appear in-game, it's most likely just an emblem. Think about every 3D game up until Shadow had them, then 06 brought them back. So I think it's merely just those little things c:

Why would they make it the Desktop though, if it's so unimportant?

Why would they make it the Desktop though, if it's so unimportant?

Cause it's a cool logo?

I definitely liked how detective you got there though! I think because of it taking inspiration from SA1 they could possibly be field emblems you collect akin to the emblems in SA1 or for more recent comparison the red rings. Also earlier in the topic we discussed how BRB older games like crash or jak had much collectables to be had through finding gems? Or something, so I think that this might be a mix ya know? Like SA1 emblems and BRB gems/other. And that could be logo on them.

If it is a collectable, it's the coolest looking Sonic collectable ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of things on monitors, remember this photo that revealed what seems to be a health meter?

12356604474_4b4931c006_o.pngYBhYzgJ.png

I can kinda make out a ring and a number. What's the green bar for? Is it a health meter behind the counter for rings, which will have a different purpose this time around? Will the rings be health pick ups as usual while the green bar is just part of the HUD?

I believe I brought that up as well, a few months ago.