Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

So rings are still being used as a measure of health? Hopefully they don't go with the classic system. It's bad enough in the main series, and having it in a game with a focus on combat would just be stupid.

Also, that could be an upgrade # not a health #, getting temporary upgrades in combat is a possibility

It could also be either a test level, or a level that is in early development

So rings are still being used as a measure of health? Hopefully they don't go with the classic system. It's bad enough in the main series, and having it in a game with a focus on combat would just be stupid.

I don't see how the classic health system is bad in the main series (it's how it's always been done and it's always worked), but I agree that using it in a game focusing on combat (that doesn't involve repeatedly hitting the jump button) wouldn't be a great idea; there's a reason the Werehog was given a health bar. I don't think they would use the regular system, though, since that's pretty clearly a health bar in that image. The ring counter likely means that your rings are totaled at the end of a level to be used as currency in the hub.

Also, that could be an upgrade # not a health #, getting temporary upgrades in combat is a possibility

It could also be either a test level, or a level that is in early development

God, I hope not. I hated Heroes's upgrade system.

Wow, definitely did not expect to see such a picture crop up! Nice find. Where did it come from? People shouldn't be concerned about the framerate displayed there. The picture was taken around eight to ten months before release, in a level that's either purely for testing or under development and with debugging features enabled. There's every reason for it to be running poorly. It'd be much more surprising if the framerate was shown to be at something like 60fps. That said, I think this game will only be 30fps. Anything more would be utterly fantastic, but it's not something to bank on. And the HUD is interesting too. It looks like it's only rough at the moment, but we can see the ring counter and what's presumably health. My guess is that rings work purely as a form of currency (maybe for scores too), and the game otherwise utilises a more traditional, non-Sonic health system. At the most, maybe it'll belie the mech stages in SA2 wherein a health bar is replenished by connecting rings. Oh hey, that Sonic icon looks familiar! I'm sure it's the same piece of 2D art used to make his silhouette in the original teaser pic. The 'reveal' pic uses a different set of 3D renders. Cool stuff all round. I really cannot wait to finally see this game in action.

Well it's nice to finally get another crumb! Liking the portrait system, though it looks like the lives system has returned... dangit BRB, why? You never needed lives before to make great games.

Then again some of their games doooo have obnoxiously long sections with few checkpoints in them...

Overall though, I'm liking what I'm seeing. I look forward to playing a demo at E3.

Hmm, the way I see it the health system can go different ways

1) It's a standard health meter that is replenished by rings, ala Tails and Eggman SA2 stages

2) it's similar to other sonic games where when you are hit you only loose 5 or 10 rings or so

3) is it poasible that the green bar represents either like a tag team power up? Or I think it could be the enerbeam energy bar?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, nice to finally know what the hub is, at least on the physical level. Ah, but at this point, just curious about the gameplay.  Although, I don't mind a game that's more combat focused, there's people who'd hate it if it's not "gotta go fast."

But eh... my main focus is the story. That's me, though.

On the other hand, I think we all know that THIS is the true highlight of the picture.

humano10.png

• Thumbs Up 8

Well, nice to finally know what the hub is

Pet peeve of mine right here. It's "HUD", which is short for "heads up display". A "hub" is somewhere where you can free-roam between the main gameplay. Very, very different things.
  • Thumbs Up 4

whaaaa

i dont even

if this is true, how is Shadow going to fit into this?

Hmm. I'm up for a change in Shadow, I mean Tails is now by the same actress as Charmy, why not change Shadow's as well?

Kirk Thorton, don't get me wrong, is amazing, he was a common one in Digimon, voicing Gabumon and his digivolutions, and Mummymon (he wanted to be a Daddy, but he ended up a Mummy).

But he was lacking as Shadow, and he's still Orbot according to the Behind the Scenes post at Sega.com, and he's great as orbot, hell the voice is like Gabumon a bit.

Edit: Oh fuck, the full list shows Corey Burton as Metal Sonic, not only is he like in EVERYTHING Disney, I remember this being a request in a video many years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3232262/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Well there is that one line in the original trailer which sounds like Shadow so I'm not that surprised.

Wait... how easy is it to edit IMDB?  

Edit: Oh ok... Metal Sonic is also going to be chatting away it seems.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659494/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

I still believe that was Knuckles saying "This, is paradise".

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh boy! I'm-a bringing the beans!

Episode 4 of Sonic Boom is apparently called 'Shadow'

Edit: IMDB dates Sonic Boom as airing in October!

I was wondering where the episode list was. Because I saw "Shadow" being an episode and not specifically who Vincent voices, BUT, two and two together, it has to be. Also the only other mystery actor in the episode is Bettina Bush.

Marine maybe?

I'm taking this all with a grain of salt at the moment. As far as I know iMDB can be easily editted, unless I'm thinking of something else. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Wikipedia can be, but I'm also not terribly sure about IMDB, maybe it is, maybe it's not. It's had inaccuracies before for sure.

IMDB you have to be registered to make a change/edit. 

The changes don't instantly get added to the site, but that doesn't mean it's been checked/moderated. IMDB is prone to mistakes and false information, though not on the same level as wikipedia.

Fun fact: Vincent Tong voiced Kai in LEGO Ninjago. He did really well with line delivery too.