Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Meh I haven't been on here since around the time Sonic Lost World's was boomin =O. I feel like i'm going to like this game and get to accept it as more & more gets revealed but i'm kind of bothered by the character art a little, especially Knuckles. But hey the gameplay looks pretty wild & the environments look really open & expansive which I've been wanting for a while (Especially for the handheld Sonic games) Dimps isn't in charge of the 3DS so I totally expect good stuff from the 3DS version, even better than Lost Worlds 3DS =D. 

Speaking of the 3DS version tho, where are the 3DS version screenshots O-o

• Thumbs Up 1

If the melee combat stuff is at least as fun as a fully levelled up Werehog, I'll be okay with it.

If nothing else, it'll have to be more original.

I know I'm pretty late to this and it's usually odd to see my join in on Sonic discussion, but I have to say this has me really hyped.

I usually don't care about other playable characters, but in this game they all look really fun to play as. Consider me hyped for a Sonic game once again since Generations.

You know, it's really going to suck when the next mainline Sonic game features only Sonic as playable again.

Well since apparently the Boom Continuity will get its own series of games, we'll hopefully have them there at least.

Considering it's Tails, it makes sense if you ask me..

Considering he was moving quickly and fluidly, and wasn't on a clunky mech, I'm fine with it.

Finally reboot for Sonic's franchise. I'm so happy right now.

This is not rebooting the series. The old series will still exist.

While I like relatively speedy sonic, Lost World showed me that Sonic Team are really struggling for ideas with that avenue right now. I don't think I had ever been less excited for a Sonic game than I was for Lost World last year. I did almost worry if maybe I needed to put my Sonic fan card away with the Blockbuster card. 

Sonic Boom excites me, it's a little scary because it's new, and yeah Knuckles looks really weird all buffed up and the sports tape is weird. BUT

Lets look at the actual cool stuff coming out of this

• Tails, Amy and Knuckles being playable again!​
  • A new Sonic series thats going to be rich with references to the series past, and isn't going to be bogged down with focus group nonsense like relatable human characters, or a complete departure from official canon. With official voices! (okay Sonic X kinda sorta had this, though the whole reason we got that cast was because of 4Kids dubbing the series)
  • Sega finally realizing that MAYBE some studio other than DIMPS has some better ideas for the franchise, it's about time really. 
  • Tails being useful and confident in himself, Amy being an action girl who isn't fawning over Sonic. Sonic actually trusting his friends to help!

I mean some of this was already happening from Colours (Tails becoming a more valued member of Sonic's team at least) but it's good to see this new series embracing that. 

Time will tell how this all turns out really, but it's been a while since I've been this excited for the Sonic series. I mean consider that this announcement could of so easily been "Sonic 4: Episode 3" prior to the teaser image. I know which I prefer

• Thumbs Up 4

Tails being useful and confident in himself, Amy being an action girl who isn't fawning over Sonic. Sonic actually trusting his friends to help!

This really is the best part.

• Thumbs Up 3

- Eggman tries to get into Modern Lair Magazine and, after losing again to Sonic, he fakes an injury and takes Sonic to court

http://youtu.be/2rzT03rc-eU

We'll see about that blue boy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well fuck me in the keyhole.

Only thing i pray for is this.

SEGA. DON'T LET FUCKING DIMPS TOUCH THE 3DS VERSION WITH EVERY FIBER OF IT'S BEING.

Sanzaru is making the 3DS version.

Ugh, this is gonna be a really weird time to be a Sonic fan between the development of this game and the announcement of the next actual Sonic Team production.

This game feels so foreign in almost every way to what one would expect from a Sonic game. Sure, it looks like a really great PS2-era platformer, but that just doesn't vibe with Sonic that well. I mean, it may with the Sonic Boom show, but as a Sonic game it just feels weird. The art style doesn't feel Sonic, the character designs don't either, and the gameplay looks like it shares just about no staples that the series has had since it's beginning.

But even then, somehow it looks like it's doing things I'd also like to see Sonic Team do. Bigger scale stages. A large hubworld. More focus on the characters / story. Other playable characters. As questionable as it looks, all those things sound way too nice.

I guess it just seems like a big bummer. We got one game that shares nothing with what you expect from a Sonic game but has amazing new ideas that one would like to see in a new Sonic, while there's worry that the other Sonic title made by the real deal people may have all that you expect when playing Sonic, but nothing innovative or long-lasting.. it's kind of sad that it seems to be set on one end of extremes or the other.

Hub worlds, more attention to story and writing, writers that will actually have communication with the dev team, a whole continuity that doesn't mess with the "continuity" we currently have, a  whole new series of Sonic, games, Tv show, toys and all. This just keeps getting better.

• Thumbs Up 5

I wonder what wisps will be in this game for each version, if wisps show up in this game =P

I hope not and I doubt..this being a diff universe than the current game...

I used to love the wisps too..*sigh*

USgamer has a preview here. Apologies if it's already posted somewhere, has some cool little details.

Big Red Button CEO and visual director Bob Rafei - who was instrumental in Naughty Dog's Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter - describes the Sonic Boom game for Wii U as "wide linear," but not necessarily open world. Instead, Sonic Boom will feature interconnected hubs, with the game's narrative determining which two characters are available for play in each area and all four characters featuring in boss levels. Every character brings something to the table, from Sonic's speed, to Amy's agility, Knuckles' strength, and Tails' range. There's also co-op play available. 

"We have a critical path that we want to make sure every player can access, and there's secondary paths as well," explains Rafei. "There's a healthy dose of platforming in the game. We do have 2D sections in the game and the 3D exploration is all about that. That's not to say that's all the game is." 

Rafei says it's "hard to say" at this point what the split between exploration and combat will be, but that combat will be a "major component". He also tells me that Big Red Button has found a compelling use for the Wii U GamePad, but declined to give details at this reveal. The Wii U game is built on Crytek's CryEngine 3, but Rafei was coy on what that means for the game's framerate or resolution. 

"I think we're revealing that soon, so I'm going to hold off on that," he says.

So then, I suppose that more information on this game will be featured in the next Nintendo Direct. I wonder if a demo will be available for E3 as well.

"There's a healthy dose of platforming in the game. We do have 2D sections in the game and the 3D exploration is all about that."

This makes me think of Crash Bandicoot even more than the actual game footage. I mean, there were 2D(ish) bonus areas you could find in certain levels. Of course it won't necessarily be exactly like that, but it'd sorta make sense.

Wow, I never thought I'd say this but this looks incredible! Not to mention that I finally get to play as Knuckles again! Hopefully the guys at Sonic Team will look at what these former Naughty Dog developers are doing so that they will finally know how Sonic's friends are supposed to play like in a modern sonic game.

Well since apparently the Boom Continuity will get its own series of games, we'll hopefully have them there at least.

Where does it say that? I'm sure it was somewhere on the press release but I can't find it anymore. Was it a mistake?

By the way, I'm really happy about this new, side take on the franchise, I approve their design and personalities. But what happened to that movie/special we were supposed to get? I'm really hoping it is a tv adaptation of the game so they can put the basis of the series.

I always did want a sonic game that mixed combat in with the normal gameplay, I hope this ones is as good as the werehogs (or even better yet DMC).

Where does it say that? I'm sure it was somewhere on the press release but I can't find it anymore. Was it a mistake?

I recall it was in the press release, and hinted at here: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=221898

and on the main Sonic Boom web page. Seems this will be a whole new continuity that runs alongside the old one.