Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Steven said something about a big unveiling for Boom at E3. I can only hope it's bigger than Lost World's.

I'm pretty sure it will. I can see why they saved Sonic Boom for last, it's being a brand new series/bigger budget project in the Nintendo exclusive deal.

Stephen: Sonic Boom is a branch of the much-larger, overall Sonic IP and sits alongside the modern Sonic games that Sonic Team is known for. The two games have very different focuses and it would not make sense for one to replace the other.

Just wanted to highlight this since people still think this is an issue.

• Thumbs Up 9

It's funny how SEGA needs to keep repeating this to people even though they've already confirmed that it won't replace the main series.

Hey guys, I am the one who did that interview with Stephen. Thank you all for the kind words towards to interview, it was really fun to do.

No problem man, we thank you for providing some nice insight into the development for this game.

Wish you all the best in the future!

Stephen: Sonic Boom is a branch of the much-larger, overall Sonic IP and sits alongside the modern Sonic games that Sonic Team is known for. The two games have very different focuses and it would not make sense for one to replace the other.

It might not make sense for Boom to replace SEGASonic. But it makes sense that SEGA might decide to abandon SEGASonic if Boom succeeds.

Either way, it's highly doubtful that would ever happen. They're two very different niches. Granted they're both Sonic, but they're different niches nonetheless. SEGASonic caters to a different kind of experience than Boom Sonic does, same for Archie Sonic as well, and by extension SatAM Sonic before it.

It's all a part of the broader Sonic extended universe; it's just being approached with greater organization and emphasis than the past, where not a word was spoken to the consumers of other countries back in the 90's (hence the great Mobius-Earth and Robotnik-Eggman confusions once Adventures 1 and 2 rolled around).

All in all, I like this current approach, honestly: these are different takes on Sonic, but they are being adapted and worked towards their chosen medium. Comic Sonic won't be quite the same as Game Sonic or TV Sonic, so it's best that they play each medium to their strengths. This could in fact spell great success for the brand.

I mean, this is assuming they pull it off properly. 

They'd sure better, if they've been working on it so long.

Can't wait to find out more about this game. E3's just a month and a bit away now! I wonder what we'll learn come June 10th.

It might not make sense for Boom to replace SEGASonic. But it makes sense that SEGA might decide to abandon SEGASonic if Boom succeeds.

I always wonder why do people keep on insisting that Boom!Sonic will replace the SEGA!Sonic franchise. Even if Boom!Sonic did succeed, there is no way that SEGA would just abandon SEGA!Sonic like that. Boom!Sonic will still continue doing its own thing while SEGA!Sonic does the same. So, I highly doubt that the whole "replacing franchise" thing would ever happen.

I don't think anyone's really touched upon some of the ways Sonic's personality will work.

However, we felt it was also crucial to really build upon and emphasis certain aspects of each character in order to make it clear to non-Sonic fans who these characters are and why they act the way they do.

I get the feeling they're gonna do the "Sonic is gonna be absolutely terrified of swimming or underwater situations" thing.

I don't think anyone's really touched upon some of the ways Sonic's personality will work.

I get the feeling they're gonna do the "Sonic is gonna be absolutely terrified of swimming or underwater situations" thing.

I bet there's gonna be an episode for the TV Series about that; Sonic, because of his aquaphobia, will have trouble getting through a zone where there's lots of water and Eggman's gonna take advantage of that.

They've done it once...now other people have a chance to do it again.

As long as it isn't as bad as Sonic's reaction towards water in Sonic X, then i'm totally fine. 

I bet there's gonna be an episode for the TV Series about that; Sonic, because of his aquaphobia, will have trouble getting through a zone where there's lots of water and Eggman's gonna take advantage of that.

"Tails! Have any devices to get around water?"

"I have some!"

"GREAT!"

Problem solved.

His Sonic Underground reaction is worse, he can't walk across a 3-foot long plank over water without hesitating.

Let us not forget that this is a character that can jump around seven times his own height.

As long as it isn't as bad as Sonic's reaction towards water in Sonic X, then i'm totally fine. 

"I have some!"

"GREAT!"

Problem solved.

unless they somehow break

"I have some!"

"GREAT!"

Problem solved.

*tosses scuba gear*

Sonic: huh.png

Tails: "...Start swimming, blue boy."

Sonic: sad.png

• Thumbs Up 4

I hope they don't have Sonic get over his hydrophobia and/or learn how to swim. Hating water is pretty much his main weakness, and taking that away would make him less interesting (unless they gave him another weakness to balance things out).

• Thumbs Up 1

Either way, it's not something to think about too much or much of a big deal.

Hydrophobia being a thing? Likely. It is something that's been attributed to Sonic in various media much like chili dogs.

Him learning to get over it? Unlikely. But I don't think it would make him a less interesting character, just something that won't be played for laughs anymore. And given the comedic tone of the show, that wouldn't bode well. Hell, half of me would find it refreshing to see him get over it only for the sake of it being the first time in any media.

But if it's just going to be handled akin to the games or X in which while he has a mild dislike towards it, but is willing to tolerate it when there's no other way around, that'll be fine with me too.

• Thumbs Up 6

I hope they don't have Sonic get over his hydrophobia and/or learn how to swim. Hating water is pretty much his main weakness, and taking that away would make him less interesting (unless they gave him another weakness to balance things out).

I really wish they made Sonic less stupid when he gets scared of water though. Seriously, you have this COOL hedgehog running around saving the day and all of the sudden he sees water and starts freaking out.

He can't swim and can only hold his breath for 30 seconds, not to mention that it slows him down dramatically...Who Wouldn't start freaking out at that? Seriously...

I really wish they made Sonic less stupid when he gets scared of water though. Seriously, you have this COOL hedgehog running around saving the day and all of the sudden he sees water and starts freaking out.

I think he only freaks out like that in Sonic X. In the games he dislike water but he can still tolerate it enough to go in or near it like Rush Adventure for example.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think he only freaks out like that in Sonic X. In the games he dislike water but he can still tolerate it enough to go in it like Rush Adventure for example.

In X and Underground...those were the only times they actually acknowledged it as an actual fear.