Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

It wasn't announced at E3 because it would've been drowned in the bigger games. The way they did it, they got a lot of attention from gamers, gaming press and mainstream press.

• Thumbs Up 1

Put me down as one not worried by how the ad campaign looks at present.  This is "lots and occasionally" rather than "little and often" - event-style marketing rather than a drip-feed.  They want to get articles on gaming news websites every time they release something, and make sure the general audience sits up and takes notice when that happens, and they won't achieve that with drops in the ocean.  Also, and I have to be honest, if they were taking the drip-feed approach we would almost certainly be complaining that each update was insufficient and that they should be revealing more, so not much would actually change.  I think it's in our nature as fans to always want more, but it's not as if there's been a total lack of discussion since the reveal; Boom is still the big news for us, and that's what matters.

I can't really get concerned about lack of advertising until we're just a month or so away from the release date.  By then I suspect that we will be seeing considerably more of the franchise.

I've been asked to chime in a bit here so I'll do what I can to share some info with you all. I've said it a few times in the past, but there were key reasons why we announced the Sonic Boom initiative when we did. Along with that, there are a lot of partners involved with Sonic Boom so we have to be mindful of their timelines and requirements for their respective fields. It's not just about a game anymore... This is a large group effort so any announcements and information shared publically needs to really be planned and organized carefully. We need to make sure that things we reveal don't impact other parts and vice versa.

I completely appreciate the fact that you fans are hungry for info specific to the games, I really do. And that's why we all work these endless late nights and weekends... It's to get all the pieces in place for when the campaign does really kick off. We still have a ways until the cartoon and game launch, as well as the new toy line, so we need to pace all the info appropriately. And it all starts as we head into E3. You'll learn more, for sure, but not everything. And the reveal of new assets and info should be more frequent from that point on. But trust me when I say there is no lack of effort by anyone involved with Sonic Boom. This is, by far, the biggest united effort I have personally ever seen Sega be involved in. We want to share everything with everyone because we are so excited... We just can't... Yet.

So, please be a bit more patient. I'm working on screens and commenting on releases so stuff is coming. We will even have a bit of a surprise in there for you, as well as the first info and assets for the 3DS version. There is quite a bit of cool stuff ahead so hang in there.

Hmmm, well when you put it that it certainly would explain the limitations of information given 'till E3. Though still, why call this the Year of Sonic when all we've have for almost half the year has been the Boom reveal and DLC? Is Boom going to be THAT big a game and show!? Ooh, I'd love that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Could be funds I guess. They have to save most of the budget for Boom's big push, they can't really go splashing out on bling for Sonic like Nintendo did for Luigi last year. Nintendo actually lost a lot of money on doing The Year Of Luigi.

Could be funds I guess. They have to save most of the budget for Boom's big push, they can't really go splashing out on bling for Sonic like Nintendo did for Luigi last year. Nintendo actually lost a lot of money on doing The Year Of Luigi.

I didn't know the Year of Luigi was also a curse.

They didn't lose money from doing Year of Luigi. They lost money from poor Wii U sales, creating a new R&D building, and buying a partnership with an undisclosed company.

I've been asked to chime in a bit here so I'll do what I can to share some info with you all. I've said it a few times in the past, but there were key reasons why we announced the Sonic Boom initiative when we did. Along with that, there are a lot of partners involved with Sonic Boom so we have to be mindful of their timelines and requirements for their respective fields. It's not just about a game anymore... This is a large group effort so any announcements and information shared publically needs to really be planned and organized carefully. We need to make sure that things we reveal don't impact other parts and vice versa.

I completely appreciate the fact that you fans are hungry for info specific to the games, I really do. And that's why we all work these endless late nights and weekends... It's to get all the pieces in place for when the campaign does really kick off. We still have a ways until the cartoon and game launch, as well as the new toy line, so we need to pace all the info appropriately. And it all starts as we head into E3. You'll learn more, for sure, but not everything. And the reveal of new assets and info should be more frequent from that point on. But trust me when I say there is no lack of effort by anyone involved with Sonic Boom. This is, by far, the biggest united effort I have personally ever seen Sega be involved in. We want to share everything with everyone because we are so excited... We just can't... Yet.

So, please be a bit more patient. I'm working on screens and commenting on releases so stuff is coming. We will even have a bit of a surprise in there for you, as well as the first info and assets for the 3DS version. There is quite a bit of cool stuff ahead so hang in there.

Thank you for your input, Mr. Frost. It puts me at ease to know that the lack of information is only because so much is planned for June. I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing what SEGA and its partners have planned in less than 30 days. smile.png

I apologize if anything I've said seemed rude; I guess I'm just really excited to see what everyone over at SEGA is up to.

Many thanks for chiming in, very much appreciated! Best of luck with everything! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

"Can Sonic Boom finally break the Sonic Cycle?"

Really? This again?

It won't, atleast not to them since they're going to ignore Boom and repeat the same thing when Sonic Team announces a new game. Boom is a whole different continuity so I don't think it really implies.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Can a different developer finally break the Sonic cycle?" .....Uuugh...

Now I know it's been confirmed through both brief footage and from Frostman himself, but for some reason I have a feeling that speed will only be exclusive to parts outside of regular levels and hubs, like the Unleashed-like roads. Maybe its 'cause of the footage shown in the BTS video that shows the group jogging around Sandover Village Zone the hub world and Naughty Dog's past with characters that jog at an average pace? If the game's world is gonna be as big as we're speculating it to be, I really hope they include the spin dash, boost or some kind of way to go even faster outside of the automated roads and running on water stages. Maybe I'm the only one with this pet peeve, but sometimes going to distant areas in open adventure games feels like a chore when the character is either too slow or feels sluggish when traveling at full or second speed. I've lost count of how many times I thought to myself "Are we there yet?" while playing titles like Jak and Daxter or Jimmy Neutron: Attack of the Twonkies.

Sonic Unleashed had hub worlds with varying sizes and Sonic was limited to jogging in the towns at day time, but if I felt like he was moving too slowly, I had the option to use the air dash to pick up the pace, and usually, that worked well enough for me not to go "Are we there yet?" when going to the Gia gates or Pickle's labs. In Sonic Lost World, Sonic was noticeably slower than usual while running, but if he felt too slow when moving in empty paths, he could always use the spin dash to speed things up. I hope there's a speed up option like this if the main speed is jogging around at the speed of a backpacked bear.

• Thumbs Up 2

Did they just fucking say "the Sonic cycle"?

HELLO, we've been out of the dark age for coming on 4 years now!

• Thumbs Up 2

"Can a different developer finally break the Sonic cycle?" .....Uuugh...

Now I know it's been confirmed through both brief footage and from Frostman himself, but for some reason I have a feeling that speed will only be exclusive to parts outside of regular levels and hubs, like the Unleashed-like roads. Maybe its 'cause of the footage shown in the BTS video that shows the group jogging around Sandover Village Zone the hub world and Naughty Dog's past with characters that jog at an average pace? If the game's world is gonna be as big as we're speculating it to be, I really hope they include the spin dash, boost or some kind of way to go even faster outside of the automated roads and running on water stages. Maybe I'm the only one with this pet peeve, but sometimes going to distant areas in open adventure games feels like a chore when the character is either too slow or feels sluggish when traveling at full or second speed. I've lost count of how many times I thought to myself "Are we there yet?" while playing titles like Jak and Daxter or Jimmy Neutron: Attack of the Twonkies.

Sonic Unleashed had hub worlds with varying sizes and Sonic was limited to jogging in the towns at day time, but if I felt like he was moving too slowly, I had the option to use the air dash to pick up the pace, and usually, that worked well enough for me not to go "Are we there yet?" when going to the Gia gates or Pickle's labs. In Sonic Lost World, Sonic was noticeably slower than usual while running, but if he felt too slow when moving in empty paths, he could always use the spin dash to speed things up. I hope there's a speed up option like this if the main speed is jogging around at the speed of a backpacked bear.

Don't worry, you're not the only one who feels this way. I can hardly play Jak 1 anymore because Jak's so slow, and I live for the moments in 2 and 3 where I get my jetboard and can move faster without a vehicle.

I'm sure there will be a way to move faster outside of the automated running sections. I seriously doubt Sonic will be running at boost speed, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume that Sonic would have a spin dash, since you can see him spinning of a dash pad in the trailer. You may still be able jump dash through the hubs if Sonic's restricted to jogging speed there since you can also see Sonic using his homing attack at one point. The creators may also include a run button in this game, though hopefully the characters move a bit faster than Sonic did in Lost World.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what, people need to stop taking all mentions off the Sonic Cycle so literally. I think when it's mentioned in articles like this, what they really mean is "will this finally be a great Sonic game?" and not "durr hurr shitty friends and werewolves". Generations and Colours were arguably great, but I think they still really lacked a lot to make them stand-out titles in the eyes of non die-hard fans. And then there was Lost World...

what they really mean is "will this finally be a great Sonic game?"

That's the part that pisses people off, especially those who thought the last few Sonics were great games.

• Thumbs Up 7

GameTrailers has just put a video up about what they expect to see from Boom at E3:

http://t.co/QoFhRBwc5D

"Can the developers of Sonic Boom break the Sonic Cycle?"

Really? This shit again? What is this like the billionth time its been brought up when a Sonic game is coming out?

• Thumbs Up 1

That's the part that pisses people off, especially those who thought the last few Sonics were great games.

Look at them more objectively compared to other games that are considered great these days. Sonic games still fall very short.

• Thumbs Up 6

If your getting mad over the way an article is written then you have allowed them to win. They obviously don't care about the quality of the game all they care about is that with that one sentence they are guaranteed some site hits by disgruntled fans, said fans comment about it in a forum and post a link causes other fans to read it and give them more hits.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, thinking about it, I don't know what we expected considering it's Gametrailers.