Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

That's the part that pisses people off, especially those who thought the last few Sonics were great games.

Well at that point you're just being pissed about something minor.

I mean, it's not like they're out of line by not thinking Colors and Generations are anything special..

Look at them more objectively compared to other games that are considered great these days. Sonic games still fall very short.

Those the recent games may have faults to them, but they're still good games nontheless. Although you are right about the last part. Sonic games of recently times have become more noticeable by not being able reach that high standard that would be considered "great" or "fantastic" like certain other big titled games game.

You know what, people need to stop taking all mentions off the Sonic Cycle so literally. I think when it's mentioned in articles like this, what they really mean is "will this finally be a great Sonic game?" and not "durr hurr shitty friends and werewolves". 

Personally at this point I think they should just go ahead and say 'Will this finally be a great Sonic game?' instead of using this tired out meme like complete tools. It's pretty outdated and I can't take them seriously when so many gaming outlets uses it to be snarky and sarcastic and they also uses it whenever they don't like something.

If Sonic Boom turns out to be critically and commercially successful and recieve a lot of praise, most of it's efforts will be forgotten when the next game is announced and the cycle repeats itself (also since Sonic's 25th anniversary is coming up soon I bet a lot of them will pass off the anniversary title and say it will suck since it also marks the anniversary of Sonic 06). 

what they really mean is "will this finally be a great Sonic game?" and not "durr hurr shitty friends and werewolves". 

Considering they mentioned the Werehog in the video, I think it's clear that's at least partially what they meant.

There are no shortage of people who have dug their heels in and will always show disdain for Sonic. I've met enough of them that I actually REFUSE to discuss Sonic with some friends of mine. "Hey Tanner that new Sonic game looks-" "Stop. Different subject." Sad, but I get tired of that. I know what they're going to say before it even leaves their mouths.

Inversely, there are people who will always like Sonic no matter how questionable his reputation is.

Fortunately, reviewers have indicated they CAN at least show some variation with opinions, given not every Sonic game necessarily scores low.

Whether Sonic games can ever score in the 90s again is another issue entirely. There's likely a lot of bias, but it can't be denied that Sonic games aren't exactly the highest in quality on average. Sonic's shaky reputation has also likely made it harder to grade the games since every game is different. What the game gets graded on can be objective, but a lot of it will also be subjective depending on what a reviewer's preferred game was.

I've heard some people say the reason Sonic games like Colors got better scores was because people "lowered expectations." Said people are no longer allowed to discuss Sonic with me. Unless a person has actual talking points and not "Oh Sonic isn't as good as he used to be because" I have no interest in their critiques.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not even sure Boom will be accepted among the general gaming public, much as I want it to.

I mean, it's not like they're out of line by not thinking Colors and Generations are anything special..

They do however tend to go out of line when outright collectively insulting people who speak highly of them though.

Come now, let's not treat people, let alone fans who aren't the media like they're all irrational now.

• Thumbs Up 1

The real Sonic cycle is critics irrelevantly bringing up the Sonic cycle over and over again.  It must have been going on now for even longer than the original Sonic cycle.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, I've been in fandoms that have had ~dark ages~ just as bad as (or even worse) than the likes of Sonic's, and yet this is the only one where I've seen a (somewhat) significant amount of people legitimately say to fellow fans, "Oh, you can't disagree with the notion that what you like is objectively not as good as other stuff! You're just mad about opinions!" If you genuinely think this viewpoint is objective, I...I don't even know what to say.

Granted I don't really see the point in getting mad at GameTrailers for this either, it's nothing new, but that's beside the point.

I don't know what isn't objective about it. Sonic games haven't been held in high regard for a long time by gamers in general even when the games are good. What's there be to argued there? It's true. You can try to attach scores and reviews to the arguments, but a lot more comes into the equation than that. Sonic games are capable of being well received, but they're still not capable of consistency or having much of a lasting impact. That is to say none of them have offered an experience that has restored faith on the series, and it's never been long before a underwhelming title has been released following a good one. When compared to other series commonly considered to be great, Sonic falls short. As to why that is is a subjective matter.

EDIT: Okay, just got a chance to watch the GameTrailers video. Uh, what was wrong with it? Was it the fact that then said "Generations was good, but every other 3D Sonic game has disappointed in one way of another?". Cause, you know, that's pretty true. As are the other comments they made. It was far from being a typical rag on the series. They were pretty fair in what they said. Plus the whole nature of the video was to discuss games that are worth keeping an eye on at E3. It's a positive thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

They do however tend to go out of line when outright collectively insulting people who speak highly of them though.

Come now, let's not treat people, let alone fans who aren't the media like they're all irrational now.

....I haven't seen any critics insulting people for liking a game that they don't like. I could be wrong and thinking about the wrong places, but it just seems too unprofessional and job threatening for anyone to do that. They do take the whole Sonic Cycle thing seriously, but they don't insult people for specifically liking Colours, Gens, or even Unleashed and Lost World.

And I think they're aiming for the die hard fanboys, not the regular, rational fans. There are a lot of irrational people in this fanbase (thankfully nobody like that are tolerated here) who do provoke reactions from critics over The Sonic Cycle, and if you're going to act irrational, expect someone to hit back.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really like critics either, but they're not the only ones who have a part in this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what isn't objective about it. Sonic games haven't been held in high regard for a long time by gamers in general even when the games are good. What's there be to argued there? It's true. You can try to attach scores and reviews to the arguments, but a lot more comes into the equation than that. Sonic games are capable of being well received, but they're still not capable of consistency or having much of a lasting impact. That is to say none of them have offered an experience that has restored faith on the series, and it's never been long before a underwhelming title has been released following a good one. When compared to other series commonly considered to be great, Sonic falls short. As to why that is is a subjective matter.

...I'm not saying that Sonic hasn't been held in high regard by critics and the gaming community in general, since that's clearly factual and I haven't been living under a rock since 2003-or-so. That has nothing to do with what I was saying, though if you were arguing from that standpoint, I see where you're coming from. I think I must've misinterpreted you, sorry.

I don't really care about the general perception on Sonic really, and fans taking it personally and overreacting constantly makes me roll my eyes...hell, I can remember that, back before I joined the forums and simply lurking around here during Generations' release, I agreed with the people getting defensive of the game without even playing it, ew. Still, I think people should be allowed to, on a personal level, consider the Sonic games they like on par with other great games, and people who look down on that opinion--and that's what it is, a harmless opinion--can be really obnoxious about it.

....I haven't seen any critics insulting people for liking a game that they don't like.

Come to think of it, who was the one who made that infamous Sonic Cycle image in the first place? I swear I remember it being some kind of gaming news site, but thinking about it, I kinda doubt it. 4chan or something, maybe?

It was 4chan I think. And it was made as a satirical portrayal of Sonic fans. I find it pretty funny as a joke, but I can't take people seriously when they actually believe that it's a real system.

Well it's not exactly inaccurate. A bit exaggerated, but people do tend to overhype only to end up disappointed regardless of whether or not the end result is even that bad. That's true of a lot of things tho', not just Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 5

....I haven't seen any critics insulting people for liking a game that they don't like. I could be wrong and thinking about the wrong places, but it just seems too unprofessional and job threatening for anyone to do that. They do take the whole Sonic Cycle thing seriously, but they don't insult people for specifically liking Colours, Gens, or even Unleashed and Lost World.

And I think they're aiming for the die hard fanboys, not the regular, rational fans. There are a lot of irrational people in this fanbase (thankfully nobody like that are tolerated here) who do provoke reactions from critics over The Sonic Cycle, and if you're going to act irrational, expect someone to hit back.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really like critics either, but they're not the only ones who have a part in this.

lol

Stick around here when a yet to be released Sonic game is reviewed. tongue.png

WOAHWOAHWOAHWOAHWOAHWOAH! That's cool as fuck!

M-marine? What the hell are you doing here?

she's alive

She's alive

MARINE

MY GIRL

SHE'S ALIVE

seriously though, I'm fairly certain this is her by now... aaaaaaaaa I'm too hyped

• Thumbs Up 2

If only I cared for Marine, this pic would of been more exciting.

(\Never played sonic rush)

Nice to see that she's apparently a much bigger player than the concept art with the minor characters let on. Pretty neat that she's being given another chance to shine.

If only I cared for Marine, this pic would of been more exciting.

(\Never played sonic rush)

Don't worry about that...

There's 50/50 chance that you would've found her annoying.