Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

I can't believe my silly question got asked/answered. So Boom Knuckles was made just so they could have more jokes to tell, huh, that makes sense from a writing point of view. It sounds like Boom Amy would be a better character if she were in a show that had 20 minute episodes to explore the characters in stead of 10 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, AAUK said:

Since Soni posted it earlier did you know where Sonic lives is NOT his house?

A reveal in the post-show.

On that note, did he reveal the names of Perci's other sisters?

EDIT: Considering the can't use the Sega charcters, maybe we could get captain ersatz versions of them? 

12 hours ago, AAUK said:

Since Soni posted it earlier did you know where Sonic lives is NOT his house?

A reveal in the post-show.

Not gonna lie I find that rather hilarious. I like the idea of Sonic just sleeping around in a house that's not his. It fits his personality.

So Sonic just chills in a random-ass house LOL

(Didn't watch the video as it is 6am rn)

I'm glad Bill explained Amy's personality a bit more (skip to 17:35). He really brings a bit of sense and reasoning to some of the moments on the show where she acted a bit more aggressively than she did in previous episodes (I still found the worse moments bearable, though).

If you don't have time to listen, Bill basically explains that he sees Amy as usually being a cheerful and positive "Martha Stewart type" (yes, he actually said that) who likes "pink, frilly things", but having "a lot of edge underneath" and being the kind of person you wouldn't want to cross because she's "strong" and "not a pushover"; when provoked, that edge comes out and she becomes her more sarcastic and annoyed self. He also says that, when taken out of context, it "might feel out of balance" if only one side of her really shows itself in an episode and that some episodes showcase her dual personality better than others, citing "Fortress of Squalitude" as a "classic example". Bill adds that while she'll be the first to try and help Eggman deal with his issues and support him because she, unlike her teammates, feels that being nice to him will work (despite evidence to the contrary), as soon as the Doctor resorts to his usual tricks and "pulls the rug out from under her", the gloves are off and she's going to make him regret it (and that does happen in the show).

So to summarize, Amy's sweet side is always there; her personality just tends to vary depending on how an episode progresses. If things are going fine, she's her nice, happy, supportive self. But when things aren't going well for her or something is genuinely bugging her, she gets more moody.

• Thumbs Up 9

On 12/31/2015 at 2:24 PM, SonicWind said:

I'm glad Bill explained Amy's personality a bit more (skip to 17:35). He really brings a bit of sense and reasoning to some of the moments on the show where she acted a bit more aggressively than she did in previous episodes (I still found the worse moments bearable, though).

If you don't have time to listen, Bill basically explains that he sees Amy as usually being a cheerful and positive "Martha Stewart type" (yes, he actually said that) who likes "pink, frilly things", but having "a lot of edge underneath" and being the kind of person you wouldn't want to cross because she's "strong" and "not a pushover"; when provoked, that edge comes out and she becomes her more sarcastic and annoyed self. He also says that, when taken out of context, it "might feel out of balance" if only one side of her really shows itself in an episode and that some episodes showcase her dual personality better than others, citing "Fortress of Squalitude" as a "classic example". Bill adds that while she'll be the first to try and help Eggman deal with his issues and support him because she, unlike her teammates, feels that being nice to him will work (despite evidence to the contrary), as soon as the Doctor resorts to his usual tricks and "pulls the rug out from under her", the gloves are off and she's going to make him regret it (and that does happen in the show).

So to summarize, Amy's sweet side is always there; her personality just tends to vary depending on how an episode progresses. If things are going fine, she's her nice, happy, supportive self. But when things aren't going well for her or something is genuinely bugging her, she gets more moody.

Well then, either please get rid of Amy's rude and sarcastic tone, or tone it down a lot. I did not like seeing Amy being the kill joy of the series. I want to see her having fun with her friends, not constantly grunting, moaning, sighing, and crossing her arms at them the whole time. Amy was much more enjoyable in the first 8 episodes of the show, I even liked how she acted in Fuzzy Puppy Buddies. I felt the show picked on Amy too much, and didn't give her enough chances to shine. She was the one member of team Sonic who always seemed to get the most unfair treatment, she didn't even get an episode where she was the main star of the episode, without having Eggman, or someone else come in to steal it. It was a shame to see each of Sonic's friends get episodes where they were the hero who saved everyone's lives at the end, but Amy never got that chance sadly.

Even Eggman, Orbot and Cubot have had episodes where they were the heroes in the end. The closest Amy got to saving the day was in "Don't Judge Me", but she was barely in that episode, and her appearance really wasn't clear. Did she just show up to actually prove Sonic was innocent, or did she really just burst in randomly, to show off how her hammer is bigger than the judge bot's gabble?! I'm not saying Amy needs to be praised in future Sonic Boom episodes, but for crying out loud, make the character a fun member of Team Sonic again. Quit having the gang pick on her, and quit giving her episodes that have negative endings for her. Amy is their friend, not their mother, so quit trying to make her a control freak. 

I can understand Bill wanting Amy to be sweet, unless she feels threatened, but if he insists on keeping her that way, then he needs to make her aggressive towards enemies only, and not her friends. Seeing Amy lash out at her friends for disagreeing with her doesn't make her look good, it makes her look selfish, and stubborn. Amy isn't like that, she's supposed to be a kind and caring character who only attacks those who attack her, or threaten her friends. She shouldn't be a character who threatens her friends, because of thinking so highly of herself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sure most of these were just random brainstorms that were't considered, but ffs some of them looks like a little kid designed them with their feet. I'm so happy the final product is the one they picked.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I just watched the whole of Season 1 (didn't have time/lost touch after Episode 10).

Wow, some comedy gold down here. It's been a long time since I watched cartoons on TV because of how lackluster they got around the time of... 2008? (Whenever Ben 10: Alien Force ended) But this really brought me back to those days. Sonic's all fun, there's no melodrama, Tails is adorable, Amy's likeable, Sticks has grown on me, Eggman's great as always... I could keep going on. Of course, I do have my gripes on it. I wish the series had more continuity and that Shadow and Metal Sonic appeared me. I wish other canon characters could jump in as well, but I digress. 

Some of the ideas here are great. For example, in the episode where Eggman gives Sonic power-absorbing shoes, Sonic's greatest strength also becomes his weakness. This area has been barely touched by the games (although I guess boosting could land you in pits sometimes). 

All in all, great show. Here's waiting for season 2 :) 

• Thumbs Up 9

As said, Amy's personality and temperament I can kinda get from what has been said, and she is at least far more sympathetic and rounded than the borderline psychopath she is in medias like Sonic X and some points of Archie (it also seems more in link with that empathetic side we saw of her in the Adventure series), I just wished they hadn't taken it to the point of making her the curmudgeonly fun police of the team a lot of the time. I mean it's not a bad personality (Sally Acorn and Blaze work as one for example), but it's not really a trait I tend to see with Amy and the early episodes tended to make a better compromise of her being an attempted voice of clarity and still rather hyperactive and childish. The whole point seems to be she's only supposed to get huffy and lose patience when she keeps getting screwed over anyway.

I suppose it can be considered a double sided coin, since Amy acting more stuck up allowed Sonic to become more fun loving and less jaded instead.

Knuckles pretty much just existing for jokes kinda explains a lot.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly really don't care for Boom Amy. She does come off as overly controlling and stuck up. She just, through and through, doesn't feel anything at all like Amy. And in all honesty, I probably wouldn't be as worked up about Boom Amy if it wasn't for the writers being so snide and bragging about "fixing" Amy, even though the end character resembles nothing like Amy and more like Sally Acorn at her most obnoxious. It wasn't Boom that fixed Amy, it was Ian Flynn that fixed Amy (ironically).

• Thumbs Up 2

And yet Ian Flynn's Boom Amy is even worse than the show's version.

I truthfully think Amy is a hard character to get down pat, and that's largely because so much of her character was originally focused around just Sonic. I'll give credit to Boom for trying in a manner that doesn't make her seem more bland, I just wish they didn't go for the 'middle aged grouch' act so much. When she's doing her overbearing shtick but at least being perky and hyperactive about it I don't mind as much.

I suppose at the very least she's a funny rendition of Sally Acorn.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well Archie Boom Amy stopped being a complete jerk by the end of the second issue and got better from there on.

And after thinking about, it would be better if the writers focus on Amy's other personality traits since there is more to her than just being grouchy when things aren't coming her way. And I guess stuff like her strange yet fitting friendship with Eggman and her diverse artistic skills could be a nice springboard for such ideas.

• Thumbs Up 2

I liked that Boom!Amy was more on her and not on Sonic, however I wish they had made her the archaeologist they intended her to be, you know? Her Boom profile says shes a history buff and loves history, but they only had one episode of her doing that. But yeah, someone else explained it best about female characters with these personality traits, but I say she suffers from "personality female syndrome".  And it is annoying because it seems like they gave her personality traits associated with female characters and how (some) people see women in general (shallow, vain, bratty, gets angry at the drop of a hat.... all traits Boom!Amy has).

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mikyeong said:

I liked that Boom!Amy was more on her and not on Sonic, however I wish they had made her the archaeologist they intended her to be, you know? Her Boom profile says shes a history buff and loves history, but they only had one episode of her doing that. But yeah, someone else explained it best about female characters with these personality traits, but I say she suffers from "personality female syndrome".  And it is annoying because it seems like they gave her personality traits associated with female characters and how people see women in general (shallow, vain, bratty, gets angry at the drop of a hat.... all traits Boom!Amy has).

Well it's kind of hard to show off those traits in a comedy, if the Boom team were to do an adventure arc, maybe they could use Amy's archaeology skills but who knows? 

To tell you the truth, I have more issues with Knuckles and Sticks than I do the show's version of Amy. She's at least entertaining and fleshed out in her own way, just a little off the mark in terms of the character it represents.

Besides that, the other half of the cast are pretty well handled. I love how Sonic, Tails, Eggman and his goons are written (keeping in mind I previously thought nearly every modern incarnation of Tails was boring as hell).

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

And yet Ian Flynn's Boom Amy is even worse than the show's version.

I truthfully think Amy is a hard character to get down pat, and that's largely because so much of her character was originally focused around just Sonic. I'll give credit to Boom for trying in a manner that doesn't make her seem more bland, I just wish they didn't go for the 'middle aged grouch' act so much. When she's doing her overbearing shtick but at least being perky and hyperactive about it I don't mind as much.

I suppose at the very least she's a funny rendition of Sally Acorn.

I wasn't referring to Ian's Boom Amy. Ian's Boom Amy is like if you take all the changes that they made to the character in Boom to their logical extreme. And yeah, it makes an unpleasant character into something even more unpleasant.

I was referring to the main comics. Amy post-reboot has been absolutely great. I said it was ironic, because his take on Amy prior to Sally getting robotocized was absolutely horrible as well. When Ian finally learned to stop assassinating characters for the sake of his OTP, he finally started writing everyone in a way that was actually good, and Amy is a prime example.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Soni said:

Well it's kind of hard to show off those traits in a comedy, if the Boom team were to do an adventure arc, maybe they could use Amy's archaeology skills but who knows? 

You think? I could think of at least two scenarios at the drop of a hat relating to amys archeology side in a comedy setting. One being that the episode actualy have the cast follow amy on one of her exbiditions, they find some old city and amy goes nuts and talks a lot about it. Sonic and gang are bored, and screws around. It ends with the city getting destroyed or something like that. Amy gets pissed and there we go. The second story could center around her house, they have visited it plenty of times anyway. them showing of a lot of archeology stuff in her home wouldnt be that hard.

I have noticed Amy being a bit more vibrant since the reboot (I always just thought pre reboot Amy just fluctuated between a blander version of games or Sonic X Amy). A lot of times I still think she's just there though. She's not as motivated and pro active as her other versions (its hard to be when everyone's just another Freedom Fighter). I like Boom Amy at least has ambitions or delusions of grandeur outside being Sonic's girlfriend, meaning when they dilute that element there's still a funny character left.

1 minute ago, E-122-Psi said:

I have noticed Amy being a bit more vibrant since the reboot (I always just thought pre reboot Amy just fluctuated between a blander version of games or Sonic X Amy). A lot of times I still think she's just there though.

Like she's been just there? Arguably, she's been more relevant then Sally herself. If I had to point at a SEGA character who's been "just there" for a while, it's Tails. And I blame that in part for him constantly being saddled with Sally for one of Alleah Baker's arcs. Champions was the first time since the reboot actually happened that Tails had a role that was actually relevant.