Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

I, for one actually enjoyed the interview. I don't often listen to interviews with voice actors so it was nice hearing Mike Pollock. He seems like a nice guy. And I must disagree with some folks here. He sounds like he has quite the passion for voice acting. At least, from what I heard it sounds like he enjoys his job enough. I thought the way he looked at his job was how any of us would see our job if we were in the voice acting business. And that part where he made those Eggman grunts reminded me of how Bill Fagerbakke mentioned in an interview that whenever he sees a kid wearing a Spongebob shirt, he just says "Hi Spongebob" in character as he just casually walks by. I love it when voice actors do that. It shows how they really do enjoy their job as a voice actor and that they can have fun with it once in a while. 

You know, while I was already looking forward to the show, hearing Mike Pollock say how fun it is to voice in Sonic Boom makes me want to see it even more. I mean, hey, if he says it's hilarious, then I can definitely take his word for it. 

• Thumbs Up 9

I, for one actually enjoyed the interview. I don't often listen to interviews with voice actors so it was nice hearing Mike Pollock. He seems like a nice guy. And I must disagree with some folks here. He sounds like he has quite the passion for voice acting. At least, from what I heard it sounds like he enjoys his job enough. I thought the way he looked at his job was how any of us would see our job if we were in the voice acting business. And that part where he made those Eggman grunts reminded me of how Bill Fagerbakke mentioned in an interview that whenever he sees a kid wearing a Spongebob shirt, he just says "Hi Spongebob" in character as he just casually walks by. I love it when voice actors do that. It shows how they really do enjoy their job as a voice actor and that they can have fun with it once in a while. 

You know, while I was already looking forward to the show, hearing Mike Pollock say how fun it is to voice in Sonic Boom makes me want to see it even more. I mean, hey, if he says it's hilarious, then I can definitely take his word for it. 

I'm not saying he doesn't enjoy it. I liked those parts of the interview. 

He talks so much about money and how he just moves from job to job. And I've never really encountered a voice actor like that before who just treats it as a job like you would desk work. It really was shocking just how little attachment he has for any role he does. 

All the same, he is a phenomenal actor all the same. He brings a lot of energy to his roles; especially the good doctor, and I look forward to seeing him play Eggman in Boom. 

You'd think a voice actor would be a bit more attached to at least one of the roles he does.

But still, I'll be anticipating him voicing that sexy mustached villain.

I'll admit it is rather strange Mike Pollock doesn't really seem to think anything of the role; I'm used to seeing voice actors or actors in general being able to give some insight into the character, or rather, what was going through their heads when they try to take on the role. Though that also speaks to his talent - he does a phenomenal job as Eggman despite not becoming Eggman, as many actors try to do when they perform.

At least he does get clear enjoyment from his job in and of itself, even if he doesn't seem to really attach himself to any of the roles. He's mentioned attending Sonic New York meetups several times, so he doesn't mind connecting with fans at least.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really don't get the bitching about Mike talking about his finances. So what? He has every right to talk about what he wants. He usually talks about Eggman other times like on his Twitter account. I wouldn't be surprised if he is burnt out about hearing and talking about his character once in a while.

Most artists usually are because of typecasting, but that doesn't mean that they have any less attachment nor passion for their characters that they VA as or it means that they don't like them. Give the guy wiggle room, he's down to earth about the answers because voice acting is a job after all. Not everyone is Charles Martinet level passion when speaking in public about the characters all the time; speaking of which I'm sure Charles does talk about jobs and finances in voice acting too.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not complaining about him talking about his finances and his job as a whole; like you said, it's a job. I suppose I went into that initially expecting him to be a bit more passionate about the character he was voicing. I am happy that he connects with fans, though, and that he manages to portray Eggman well (from what we've seen thus far).

Perhaps when we see him in more interview-type settings we'll be able to see his potential attachment to his role. Either way, the snippet I've heard of him as Eggman is good, and that's good enough for me (though I was bitching about him earlier).

I really don't get the bitching about Mike talking about his finances. So what? He has every right to talk about what he wants. He usually talks about Eggman other times like on his Twitter account. I wouldn't be surprised if he is burnt out about hearing and talking about his character once in a while.

Most artists usually are because of typecasting, but that doesn't mean that they have any less attachment nor passion for their characters that they VA as or it means that they don't like them. Give the guy wiggle room, he's down to earth about the answers because voice acting is a job after all. Not everyone is Charles Martinet level passion when speaking in public about the characters all the time; speaking of which I'm sure Charles does talk about jobs and finances in voice acting too.

Bitching? You're going a little far man. Tell me what about my post is bitching when I still respect Mike as an actor. 

I admit, that I was caught off guard by how very, very down to earth he was. But it doesn't mean I still don't respect him for being such a fine actor, and a pretty nice guy. Just because I point out how much he talks about money just seems draining and disconected doesn't mean I said he's bad at what hje does, or he doesn't have fun with his roles. I'm sure he gets plenty sick hearing about one role, but all the same, it still can be a different experience for people who've never seen this kind of actor. 

I'm used to hearing stuff from actors like the ones at Funimation, or Rob Paulson who always go into depth about the characters they voice and how much fun they had with the roles, and how they can remember some of the best lines. Mike is just... different, and I never said he was bad for it. 

So if you're going to say something, it would be nice to step back and offer some in depth explanation for your generalization.

Bitching? You're going a little far man. Tell me what about my post is bitching when I still respect Mike as an actor. 

I admit, that I was caught off guard by how very, very down to earth he was. But it doesn't mean I still don't respect him for being such a fine actor, and a pretty nice guy. Just because I point out how much he talks about money just seems draining and disconected doesn't mean I said he's bad at what hje does, or he doesn't have fun with his roles. I'm sure he gets plenty sick hearing about one role, but all the same, it still can be a different experience for people who've never seen this kind of actor. 

I'm used to hearing stuff from actors like the ones at Funimation, or Rob Paulson who always go into depth about the characters they voice and how much fun they had with the roles, and how they can remember some of the best lines. Mike is just... different, and I never said he was bad for it. 

So if you're going to say something, it would be nice to step back and offer some in depth explanation for your generalization.

Well for one, he only talks about his finances once in the entire interview. People really shouldn't complain about him talking about how much as a voice actor he gets paid as and where his money comes from. I mean the guy is free to discuss about his role and the whole business of it, and I sat through the whole hour interview and didn't see a drop in passion for his character, it's not like he was sitting throughout the whole interview talking about finances.

I found him to be very informative about his past roles and he isn't all about Eggman. I hardly doubt he is detached from his role as a voice actor, it's just some people tend to treat their jobs and explain them very differently then others would. He still has a lot of passion for the character.

Well for one, he only talks about his finances once in the entire interview. People really shouldn't complain about him talking about how much as a voice actor he gets paid as and where his money comes from. I mean the guy is free to discuss about his role and the whole business of it, and I sat through the whole hour interview and didn't see a drop in passion for his character, it's not like he was sitting throughout the whole interview talking about finances.

I found him to be very informative about his past roles and he isn't all about Eggman. I hardly doubt he is detached from his role as a voice actor, it's just some people tend to treat their jobs and explain them very differently then others would. He still has a lot of passion for the character.

He talks about money for the first half, mostly. Not once, but for a good deal of the first half. He doesn't go in depth, but talks about how he remembers no lines and moves on to the next job, and how he freelances like crazy, and how he'll put up with the worst directors for money, and how he scoops up any role, like being in Ratatoing for money.

I did notice for sure that he had a sense of pride for what he does, even if he has no attachment to the roles he plays, like when he mentioned the story of how he watches the shows and movies he performs him. And I thought that was nice. 

When I say detached; I don't mean detached from the enjoyment of being a voice actor. He's detatched from his character, and that's not bad, just different. He doesn't go in depth with any character he's voiced, he gets attached to his performance and how he performs. Outside of Ultamite Muscle, he doesn't really seem to notice the characters; just Mike Pollock playing another role, and he seems to enjoy his performance. It's nice; just different.

Also, in response to the bolded part; do I hear a parrot? I think I hear a parrot.

Mike is an awesome voice actor all around and while I've heard him say "it's just a gig," it's obvious he still loves his job. I guess he likes his job just for the sake of voice acting rather than for the particular character. It just comes off as odd because usually actors can give some sort of insight into a character they portray, whereas as much as he enjoys his role, he doesn't seem to really be that personally invested in Eggman outside the workplace. The stuff he does is still of great quality regardless, however, which speaks to his talent; he doesn't need to be really into a role in order to pull it off flawlessly.

Is it sad he doesn't have any insight into Eggman's personality? Of course it is, that's always one of the neater parts of a role to hear about. He's still a fantastic Eggman either way though, and both fans and SEGA agree - he's the longest-serving English voice actor for Sonic, after all, spanning a good decade. The lifespan of the average voice role in this franchise is only 5 years or so.

I will say that Mike really does defy what you're used to. He does great work despite not having any real attachment to the role itself, and similarly, despite that lack of thinking of the role as anything special, he's more than willing to discuss it with people or even meet up with fans in person. Talented actor and great guy all around; that he doesn't fit into the usual actor mold actually makes him somewhat befitting of Eggman's eccentric personality.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it might be because he was just tired. He's probably super passionate about it just tired from all of what is Sonic. He's been voicing EGGMAN for an eternity xD. Just my two cents though. I didn't even watch the interview so I don't know.

Ugh, don't like the whole non-continuity thing. This is the only info of the show that actually has me bummed out.

Ditto to that. :(

I sure it's more like Adventure Time continuity. Wherw end results may not matter but theirs still even if very small a overlying thing. Like Adventure Times whole Lych and Ice King backstories that became part of the stories. I hope...

Mind you, Roger doesn't really go around punting that he's Sonic. Maybe SEGA told them not get attached? I dunno.

So far this show looks fine, i will give it a go and will see if its worth watching, when i was young i enjoyed SATAM and adventures of sonic the hedgehog, they were both great :). sonic x was ok-ish, i watched about 20 episodes roughly but thats it. i hate the fact theirs not gonna be any continuity but then again regular show doesnt have continuity and i think its funny. i know its aimed at 6-11 year olds but i hope the comedies not too cheap. The graphics look crystal clear. i hope this show continues for a long time because my little brothers just turning 3 and i want this show to still be here when hes 5 or so. im trying to get my brother to grow up a sonic fan :D

• Thumbs Up 3

Mind you, Roger doesn't really go around punting that he's Sonic. Maybe SEGA told them not get attached? I dunno.

We have to remember that Roger is also Batman, Chris Redfield, Ezio Auditore and many more.

Even if he want, for the sake of his acting range he can't afford to get attached to just one character.

Bull roar, if Jim Cummings can get attached To Winnie the Pooh, and Frank Welker to Fred Jones, anyone else can get attached to a particular role.

Besides; I'm not sure if Roger not putting around that he's Sonic means that he's not attached to any role. No one's really asked for his stance on acting yet have they?

Is that Tails toy supposed to be miscolored, or is it just unfinished? I'm going to go with unfinished.

Gee, calm down. I was making an assumption. Anyway, thanks for the correction.

Hmm? I was never agitated, if I were I'd chew you out worse for that. Sorry if it came off like that.

I know it's probably standard for prototypes like this (I'm not really into toys), but there's something hilarious to me about the presumptuousness of writing FROM THE HIT TV SHOW AND GAME on packaging when nothing to do with Boom will be released for months.

I like that plushie a lot. Hard to tell if it's actually any good, but it looks cute and as Sonic goes I'll take what I can get... which so far has been nothing, actually. So I guess what I'm most excited for is that I'll probably be able to find these in stores?

A video of the Sonic Boom toy booth showing prototypes, boxes and whatnot.

Knuckles is being ostracised for his gigantism.

These figures actually don't look that bad. And considering these are just prototypes, I can't wait to see how good the final ones are going to look!

• Thumbs Up 1