Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

I guess that Episode 46 is not a bad one, but unfortunately, one of the worst things I've seen in that episode is how the heck Knuckles' second ice cream was so real that he ate it in that afternoon. It was not so funny at all.

I didn't get to see Episode 46 until today due to having to work overtime all weekend due to a hurricane alert on the East coast which fortunately drifted out to sea. Anyway, "No Robots Allowed" was an okay episode I felt was really lacking in regards to both humor and the plot. Even though it was focused on Dr. Eggman, I thought Team Sonic's efforts to cool down was far more entertaining and funny for that matter. It definitely gave me some Episode 6 ("Fortress of Squalitude") vibes with Dr. Eggman aiming to have his lair in tip-top shape in order to impress a coming visitor.  Only I thought the reason behind the plot here didn't make any sense. Dr. Eggman being threatened to be evicted simply because he had robots? Not anything like too many of them at his lair or some other plausible reason? Not to mention why would he care about abiding by rules and appeasing the Archipelago Homeowners Society when he is the main villian of the village? Not a good plot at all in my opinion.

Nevertheless, no matter what I think of the episode there are always some observations that I would like to point out:

D7pl31i.jpg?1
Team Sonic's efforts to cool down didn't go so well...at least they had some fun spinning around the ceiling of Tails' house! 

hrol8nN.jpg?1
The shenanigans of the fan gave us references to the Wizard of Oz and E.T-courtesy of Sticks and Amy! :P

sS9u03B.gif?1
Hiding the robots was probably the only funny part on Dr. Eggman's side of the episode...Especially Orbot and Cubot shoving each other into the bathroom in their efforts to hide the other! :D

hM9Nict.jpg?1
Team Sonic is losing this battle against the heat on the beach...at least they had plenty of sunscreen! Don't worry guy-the rain is coming!

YwlkgFU.jpg?1
Not sure what was more strange here: The robots not attacking or Sonic's terrible new name for Dr. Eggman with Team Sonic's entrance here. Eggy-mo-Beggy?! I think I am going to go with that awful nickname being more strange ;)

IkCZrbx.jpg?1
There's Dr. Eggman's garden-including the shrubbery created in imitation of himself as we saw it in Episode 21 ("Sleeping Giant")! :P

And that's pretty much it really as far as observations are concerned as I found this episode to be rather lackluster with the plot and not very humorous.  Not the worst of episodes in Sonic Boom but definitely not the best of them either.  "Fuzzy Puppy Buddies" seems interesting from what little I know about it at this point...looking forward to it! :)

• Thumbs Up 5

Also, according to a new commercial on Boomerang, Sonic Boom is debuting there.

I say "debuting" because they're starting with the very first episode this Thursday at 8:30 PM, with new (to Boomerang) episodes every Thursday afterwards. "Fuzzy Puppy Buddies" is still on the schedule, so no need to worry about the cartoon's future on CN.

So more Boom airings in the future. Sounds good to me!

Edited by GhostlyWind

No Robots Allowed, usually I'm the guy that finds some sort of good in what others consider as a mediocre episode. Like I found some good in Just a Guy or It's Not Me, It's the One-Armed Hedgehog but for this episode...... yeah, it's no use. this was pretty meh but not really bad, just not good either. Which sucks since Sam Freiberger had a part in writing this episode and he wrote Eggman the Auteur and that was an amazing episode! I even found a joke in that episode (I shall treasure that moment forever!)

Though as many others have said, the parts with Sonic and the crew were more enjoyable to see since it's just fun seeing these guys goof off, play off one another and bring in a strange but weirdly fitting reference. Not all of Eggman was bad, the montage of hiding the robots was fun, Eggman saying installing solar panels is just what he needed to get the story started is totally what Sam would've wrote and some small parts of Eggman denying he has robots is a fun kind of silly.

But yeah, the story doesn't really make much sense because why would a club have the power to kick off Eggman from his own base because he has robots? I know I'm usually forgiving of some of the more illogical story parts of Boom but I can't really defend this. 

But yeah, hope the next episode can make up for it and I'm sure it will, that episode is dripping of its comedic possibilities.

It felt a lot like this was meant to be one of the first episodes, because it had no connection or jokes from other episodes and didn't really feel like it was trying anything new.

I didn't hate the episode - I'll watch this any day over "Buster", but it didn't feel very special for sure.

If this is true, episode 49's english title is Role Models and the synopsis is this:

Team Sonic have to try to be kid-friendly as possible for the Village youth. 

And it'll air on the 24th of October...

I'm not sure how this will turn out. 

If this is true, episode 49's english title is Role Models and the synopsis is this:

And it'll air on the 24th of October...

I'm not sure how this will turn out. 

Oh boy, this could go very well or very badly. I like to hope it's the former.

Hang on! Slight change in the episodes....

Episode 48 is Designated Heroes and it will air on 17th October, and the summary is:

"Eggman tricks the gang into getting his evil plan finished."

I'm interested for this one, and then after that is the Kid friendly episode.

EDIT: On another note, Cabin Fever will be released on Halloween! (31st October)

Well, now it's clear the show's upcoming appearances on Boomerang aren't affecting the new episodes on the CN schedule. Good news.

Edited by GhostlyWind

Team Sonic have to try to be kid-friendly as possible for the Village youth

B-...how do y-

aren't they already-

this will be either amazing or terrible. I'm getting similar feelings to what I had before watching "Battle of the Boy Bands" so hopefully this comes out on top like that one did

• Thumbs Up 1

About Episode 49, I hope that it's a little bit more awesome than Episode 12 (Circus of Plunders) and Episode 39 (Battle of the Boy Bands).

Hmm. Ratings of Sonic Boom ep 46 "no robots allowed" is significantly dropped. 0.61M viewers I guess CN doesn't like this show or Season 2............... (of course this is only my opinion) http://www.tssznews.com/2015/10/06/sonic-boom-tv-ratings-week-41/

About Episode 49, I hope that it's a little bit more awesome than Episode 12 (Circus of Plunders) and Episode 39 (Battle of the Boy Bands).

I saw it in french, The episode is literally the worst ffking episode of the series. Yes, WORSE THAN JUST A GUY.

I saw it in french, The episode is literally the worst ffking episode of the series. Yes, WORSE THAN JUST A GUY.

I thought it looked like a great episode. I loved how the gang kept getting annoyed with that platypus. In the end, I love how they all basically say screw it, and ditch their award of role models, for the sake of fighting evil. That's the real Team Sonic right there, they don't fight for fame and glory, they do it for both justice, and fun. If anything, episode 50 is the bad one. Sonic was portrayed as a jerk in that episode, and after his friends used team work to help him escape, Sonic acted like he defeated Eggman all by himself, which caused the gang to trap Sonic with Eggman and leave. Although Sonic totally deserved that punishment, it's still a shame the writers portrayed Sonic like that.

Sonic should not treat his friends like trash, and I don't blame the gang for locking him up with Eggman and leaving upset. It's also a shame that such a mean spirited episode was shown before the last 2 episodes of the series. Seeing Sonic act like a jerk in episode 50 out of 52 just really makes all the great scenes with Sonic and his friends feel worthless. Sonic had a lot of sweet moments with his gang, like episode 1 with Tails, episode 3, 4, and 6 with Amy, Sonic trying to help Knuckles stay safe in Unlucky Knuckles, etc. But have the 3rd to last episode end with Sonic treating his team like trash is just such a shame.

I really hope the show gets renewed, so we can get more adventures out of the gang, and hopefully less rushed/mean spirited episodes. They should only treat Eggman like trash, but Sonic and his friends need to be more balanced with each other's behaviors, while the villagers especially need more likability, and less obliviousness.

I'm not saying Sonic and the gang shouldn't have occasional arguments, or disagreements, but enough with the episodes where they portray the characters as jerks. I really don't want to see any more portrayals of Sonic, as seen in Into The Wilderness, Bro Down Showdown, and "Who's Next?".

I also don't want to see anymore of the bossy, sarcastic, and annoyed version of Amy we see in episodes like Chez Amy, Sole Power, and Closed Door Policy. I'm also sick of the show treating Amy like a negativity magnet. Throughout the series, Amy seems to get shoehorned the most, mistreated, or not taken seriously, as seen in Circus Of Plunders, the beginning of Cowbot, Late Fees, Chez Amy, Into The Wilderness, Closed Door Policy, Chili Dog Day Afternoon, Cabin Fever, and especially Bro Down Showdown, that episode's ending was just downright cruel and rushed towards her. I like the episodes where Amy is friendly, a bit of a goofball, but nurturing to everyone around her, as seen in The Sidekick, episode 2, My Fair Sticksy, Dude, Where's My Eggman, The Meteor, and Into The Wilderness. 

Edited by SpongicX

(long explanation of why episode 50 is bad and how episodes should be less mean-spirited)

Uuuuuugh. I don't like where this is going.

I mean, I'll watch the episode anyway when it airs here to see if it has any redeeming qualities (and because I still want to see every episode of Boom anyway), but the outlook is bleak.

Uuuuuugh. I don't like where this is going.

I mean, I'll watch the episode anyway when it airs here to see if it has any redeeming qualities (and because I still want to see every episode of Boom anyway), but the outlook is bleak.

The episode looked like it had funny moments, it started off pretty good. But once Sonic started laughing at his friends for losing to Eggman one after the other, that's when the episode goes downhill, in other words, the episode loses it's charm mid way through. The sequence that happened before the ending was pretty good as well, but then Sonic ruins the moment by hogging all the glory of defeating Eggman, when in fact it was all of them who contributed. 

I mean, really, what happened to that whole "my friends are my strength" statement near the end of RoL, Sonic? Huh? You suddenly changed your mind? I know that that game and the show are pretty much like night and day, but still...

Come on. Sonic's egotistical, but not to these obnoxious levels. I will always love the cartoon, but this annoys me.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the cartoon is intentionally trying to distance itself from the games and what they established at this point.

I know that doesn't excuse the characters acting OOC every now and then, but still.

Edited by DarkLight

...Bro Down Showdown, that episode's ending was just downright cruel and rushed towards her. I like the episodes where Amy is friendly, a bit of a goofball, but nurturing to everyone around her, as seen in The Sidekick, episode 2, My Fair Sticksy, Dude, Where's My Eggman, The Meteor, and Into The Wilderness. 

I found it pretty hard to sympathize with Amy in that episode since it showed her:

1) Rudely snatching a letter from an innocent turtle, knocking him on his back, and not bothering to help him (to put things in perspective, that's the equivalent of knocking a paralyzed man out of his wheelchair)

2) Admitting to entering herself for a "selfless" award, and justifying it with "you gotta look out for number one"

3) Returning home with the smuggest look I've even seen on this show

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, characterization can be very hit-or-miss in this show. Amy just happens to be one of it's biggest examples.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the cartoon is intentionally trying to distance itself from the games and what they established at this point.

It's not. The games and the cartoon were done separately and if I recall correctly the writers said that they were not all that aware of what the games were like.

Edited by SSF1991
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's not. The games and the cartoon were done separately and if I recall correctly the writers said that they were not all that aware of what the games were like.

Ah, I see, fair enough. But it really goes to show how much communication there was between parties on the whole Boom agenda. Quite sad really.

• Thumbs Up 1

I found it pretty hard to sympathize with Amy in that episode since it showed her:

1) Rudely snatching a letter from an innocent turtle, knocking him on his back, and not bothering to help him (to put things in perspective, that's the equivalent of knocking a paralyzed man out of his wheelchair)

2) Admitting to entering herself for a "selfless" award, and justifying it with "you gotta look out for number one"

3) Returning home with the smuggest look I've even seen on this show

True, but that still doesn't mean she deserved to get her couch blown up, all because of Sonic and Knuckles being disrespectful towards her property. To be fair, Sonic and Knuckles didn't help Leroy either, but Leroy has been portrayed as a smug jerk in many episodes, like My Fair Sticksy, and Tails' Crush. Also, Amy was just over excited to hear that she won, it's not like she pushed Leroy down, or knocked him over on purpose.  Also, comparing a turtle to a paralyzed man is not the same thing. A turtle stuck on it's back isn't a disability, it's an unfortunate trait turtles have. They can still get up on their own, and aren't hurt when stuck on their backs.

Now if Amy forced them into it, and threatened to hurt them if anything bad happened, then she would've totally deserved that ending, but it was the other way around. Sonic and Knuckles kept pestering Amy, and she gave in, just to prove why she is being given a selfless award. Also, keep in mind that Amy just nominated herself for a award, that doesn't change the fact that others voted for Amy as well. Amy didn't rig the vote either, she earned it, and many episodes give hints to how helpful Amy is. Amy just had a moment of weakness in that episode, that's no reason to have Sonic and Knuckles trash her house. As for the smug look on Amy's face, I wouldn't say she was being smug or snobby. She was just happy to be back home, and happy that she won an award. It's like how some people feel after a long day of work, but then they receive their pay, they go home happy knowing they earned something. 

Also, it was real annoying to see how rushed the ending was. I honestly wanted Sonic to turn back, and see how sad Amy was, and see him offer to either help get her a new one, clean up the mess, or invite her to get back at Eggman for destroying her couch (while also wanting to give payback himself, for ruining his chances at winning Amy's couch back.) That would have been a good way to end it. Instead, we see Sonic and Knuckles not give a crap, and they just leave to show Amy terribly sad, and they end it with a dull quote from Leroy, as Sonic and Knuckles don't give a crap to him either. I completely agree that Amy was a bit out of character in that episode, but she didn't really do anything wrong. 

Ah, I see, fair enough. But it really goes to show how much communication there was between parties on the whole Boom agenda. Quite sad really.

Still better than the lack of communication between Sega Japan and Sega of America, back in the early 1990s. I can't imagine how confused Japan was, when they saw how they made Tails brown, changed Eggman's appearance and name to Robotnik, and made Sonic a girlfriend named Sally, while even having the nerve to change Amy's name to Princess Sally in the first english manuals to Sonic CD. It eventually came to a point where they got fed up with letting each region do their own thing, and they finally decided to work closer and better with the other divisions. They even tried ending the whole Eggman/Robotnik confusion by making Robotnik his last name, while giving Eggman a nickname which eventually evolved into his preferred name. Even after that, people falsely claim "His name was always Robotnik" Boy are they wrong, even the English version of Sonic 2 left in a remainder of the Japanese version to prove his name was always Eggman for starters. The side of Eggman's giant ship from the final level has the name "Eggman" written in big letters! 

YES!YES!YES!YES!

FUCK YEAH! THANK YOU FREIBERGER, REID HARRISON, HAHN and DENTON, POLLOCK, WILLINGHAM, ROBINSON, FUTTERMAN, VILLARD, SMITH, SEGA, OUIDO and cn.

More Boom is what I need and we all got it!

• Thumbs Up 1