Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

But like I said. Most of the events didn't actually happen until Amy went full overboard. Knuckles broke one thing by accident and that was it. The rest were literally innocent and did nothing until Amy went overboard with her rules.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have to ask, how would you guys have wanted the episode to play out?

Simple, I'd not play this episode at all. There are many other ways to write a comedy without the risk of putting the characters in a bad light.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's almost the point of the Sonic Boom TV show though is to portray the characters as out of character as possible. It's gotten to the point where their out of character personalities are practically their in character personalities. It's kind of my beef with it at the end of the day.

Jeez guys, calm down. Some of you are really demonizing Sonic and crew. I understand it's not cool to trash her house, but they weren't intentionally being jerks to Amy. They were bored and trying to amuse themselves. The whole diary thing came after Amy acted like a warden. Sonic was literally twiddling his thumbs out of boredom, hoping not to incur her wrath. He wasn't trying to invade her privacy, he was looking for a way to pass the time. Things snowballed from there. I have to ask, how would you guys have wanted the episode to play out? Sonic going along with Amy's boring arts and crafts idea? Everyone getting along for 11 minutes? It's a TV Show! There needs to be some form of conflict to help drive the story!

Easy, I would have just ended it with Amy joining them on stage, and  taking a bow with the cast, with the screen fading to black as the villagers applaud. What was the point of having them perform the play as an apology to Amy, only for everyone to inconsiderately barge into Amy's uninvited, and force each other to go through the same living Hell again? It completely ruins the whole reason the gang performed the play for Amy in the first place. This time, the villagers are there as well, which implies it will go even worse this time... Maybe if Amy sighed, and gave a smile at the end, I would have liked the ending, but the fact it showed her depressed, just wasn't fun for me to watch.

Dude, it's a freaking comedy show. The final moment was a joke. Do you realistically think that the entire village is going to be able to fit into Amy's house? It's just the final joke of the show nothing more. You still act like Amy did absolutely nothing in the episode when she acted as bad as the others.

• Thumbs Up 9

Are people seriously mad about this? Like, "whoa, mild conflict between friends in a comedy show, that's just too far!"?

I'm not really mad, but I do think it does kinda represent why I'm not big on Sonic Boom in how it contrasts with... Well, you know the Archie Comics.

I'm not really mad, but I do think it does kinda represent why I'm not big on Sonic Boom in how it contrasts with... Well, you know the Archie Comics.

That's not really a good comparison, a long-running comic book series against a near year old cartoon. I can totally see the similarities.

• Thumbs Up 4

That's not really a good comparison, a long-running comic book series against a near year old cartoon. I can totally see the similarities.

Fine then, want me to narrow it down to the post reboot? Or is that not specific enough that I have to spell it out?

Dude, it's a freaking comedy show. The final moment was a joke. Do you realistically think that the entire village is going to be able to fit into Amy's house? It's just the final joke of the show nothing more. You still act like Amy did absolutely nothing in the episode when she acted as bad as the others.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know everyone has to have the same sense of humor as you...  Some people just can't accept that others have opinions. Some of you are acting like I'm trying to rebel against the makers of the show... I'm just saying I want more episodes that don't constantly make other characters look bad. Not all humor has to involve friends fighting each other you know...

The thing I'm confused about is why you think it made the characters look bad. Imperfect, sure, but...I mean what good is a character without flaws? And the whole episode is just some friends getting on each others' nerves a bit 'cause they're stuck together for a while, amped up a bit for comedy's sake. Not anyone actually acting horrible.

• Thumbs Up 8

It could've been better, if Eggman had been invaded by Sonic and his friends. And while he is still their hated nemesis, Eggman would gladly offer the team refuge in his lair, since the bro code comes before the villain code. Eggman would be startled from his sleep and the storm. Sure, he'd offer to let them watch TV, and offer snacks, but what about Sticks? She'd probably rummage through Eggman's artillery, and blow things up intentionally. Would've been a good callback to "Can an Evil Genius Crash on Your Couch For a Few Days?" with Eggman complaining about Sonic and his friends being there, and stating "I know they'll mess things up on me! They're probably in the artillery, messing up my weapons! Do you know how long it took for me to get everything organized?"

Fine then, want me to narrow it down to the post reboot? Or is that not specific enough that I have to spell it out?

If you're talking about how you personally feel, that could be fine. But wouldn't it be a better idea to compare it Boom with other Sonic cartoons or heck other shows of similar nature? 

Just comparing it to a comic series seems out-of-left field.

• Thumbs Up 5

The only difference is the group did redeem themselves by performing Amy's play

But then they totally screw Amy over by ditching her, and are likely to trash her place even more. Also, I rewatched the episode, and I feel Amy had every right to set some rules. The way Sonic and Knuckles mentioned they wanted snacks was a bit rude. Amy didn't force them all into arts and crafts, she just wanted them to do some activities with her, and Sticks had to act like doing crafts is worse than waiting for the storm to pass. The gang didn't give Amy's activity a chance, and the fun thing with hanging out with friends, is to try new things with friends.

It showed how Amy was trying to keep her cool as well, but the gang kept pestering her, or kept whining, moaning, or making a mess, which caused her to tell them to do nothing. Also, it's real hard to want Amy to let the gang do what they want, when Sonic flat out says "Come on Amy, we want to do something fun, like pole vaulting over the couch, or shot putting Tails across your living room. Why is Amy a bad guy for not wanting the gang to mess up her living room? Also, why the Hell would Sonic consider hammer throwing his best friend as fun? That's just mean, you think Tails would have been against being thrown hard against a wall.  Let's face it, we've seen Sonic and Knuckles' idea of what having fun in Amy's house is like from the episode Bro Down Showdown, and they were being reckless idiots. You don't see Amy barging into Tails' workshop, and say things like "Come on Tails, let me have fun by smashing your devices with my hammer." 

All I'm saying is I'd like to see episodes that don't have the gang treat Amy like a bad guy. There are too many episodes where the gang ignores Amy, or picks on her, or there are too many episodes where Amy is shown to be too bossy and sassy. I felt in this episode, for once, Amy had a very good reason to show annoyance with the gang, because they were being terrible guests. They didn't even ask if they could take shelter at Amy's, they just flat out ran there. It's not like Amy asked them to come in the first place. Sonic just said "fine, let's crash at Amy's then" then the gang ran off before they could even hear Amy's response. 

And in response to characters aren't fun if they don't have flaws, then why does every flaw have to end with the characters being jerks to each other. There are ways to give characters humorous flaws, without reducing to sarcasm, constant arguing, and such. Sonic can still have ego driven flaws, but it would be nice to see Sonic not let his ego get in the way of the importance of his team. Amy's flaws need to be reduced to a more innocent form of wanting to help, instead of acting like she knows what's best for everything. Sticks' paranoia flaws can be funny, without her having to suspect her friends have betrayed her, or something like that. There are many ways to approach elements of comedy. I'm more a fan of the witty humor of Sonic Boom, as seen in the first 8 episodes. Too many episodes try passing off humor as a bunch of jerk villagers being ungrateful for all that Sonic and his pals put up with, or a character being the butt of a joke throughout an episode. I'd rather see humor expressed through situations, as seen in Can An Evil Genius Crash On Your Couch for a Few Weeks? Two Good To Be True, Robot Battle Royale, Translate This, Eggman's Tomato Sauce, The Meteor, Hedgehog Day, Battle Of The Boy Bands, Tails' Crush, and Unlucky Knuckles. Many of those episodes didn't rely on the characters acting mean towards each other, and relied more on good story telling, with good filler material of comedy and action. I'd rather see humor that relies on situations like witty cut away gags that don't feel like a waste of time, the characters getting into crazy situations, yet are all having a good time, instead of everyone, except one of them having fun. (which in the most case is Amy it seems like.) I liked the movie reference humor, the light jabs at the video game references that Sonic fans might catch, and ironic/unexpected results of hilarity. 

I'm not saying everyone has to want episodes like this, I'm just expressing my opinion, that's it. If you don't agree with my points, fine, but I'd rather you not respond if you're just going to respond without respecting anyone else's opinions. I don't expect anyone to have to agree with me, so why do you all feel it's necessary for implying I'm wrong, just because there are certain episodes of the show that I like better? I actually love Sonic Boom, so when I give an opinion of an episode, which points out what I don't like, just keep in mind that I'm not trashing the show, I'm just saying how there were many other episodes that I loved better, and I feel that some of the later episodes just don't have that same humorous charm as the earlier episodes. I wouldn't be a true Sonic fan, if I just acted in denial that I love everything about the show. I'm not the only one who feels this way, just look on Youtube for people like Peter Knetter, or RogerRoger, they are huge Sonic fans, yet they have things they like and don't like about Sonic Boom. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's nothing to do with senses of humor. It's the fact that anytime characters seem to do things to annoy one another, suddenly it's turned mean spirited. How can the creators make episodes that don't "constantly make the characters look bad" when you guys keep taking the smallest things and then blowing them up to make it sound like they're nothing but a bunch of assholes who hate being around one another. Friends do things that annoy each other. It's a fact of life. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not to mention they also jokingly tease each other, something else friends do.

Don't get me wrong. There are times in the season where they do get rather rude (Sonic at the end of "Designated Heroes" is an example; Sonic had been shown to give credit where credit is due in other episodes despite his flaws so not doing so here was more so out of character) but I'd say 85% of the mean-spirited behavior is really just the characters joking around or their flaws showing.

• Thumbs Up 6

Not to mention they also jokingly tease each other, something else friends do.

Don't get me wrong. There are times in the season where they do get rather rude (Sonic at the end of "Designated Heroes" is an example; Sonic had been shown to give credit where credit is due in other episodes despite his flaws so not doing so here was more so out of character) but I'd say 85% of the mean-spirited behavior is really just the characters joking around or their flaws showing.

Well, they could've had Amy stop Sonic's sentence with her Hammer, and cut to everyone in Sonic's house. And we get to see a discouraged Sonic, in a crowded house, until someone asks "Do you have any snacks?" Then he groans. It'd be an ending where Sonic gets punished, like in "Designated Heroes."

Edited by YoshiAngemon

I feel rather bad for only looking forward to the episode with Shadow in it... I've tried to really get into the series as a whole, but silly, not taking itself seriously, comedy series never caught my interest too much, and stupid-Knuckles just makes me roll my eyes, at least Tails is pretty cute, design and personality-wise, maybe I can use that to help me give it more chances. I don't dislike Boom, but the whole ascetic, and feel is just kinda meh to me.

I am hopelessly in love with Boom!Shadow design though. >_>

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched the episode twice (could not hear it first)

• Tails is cute when he panics from the lightning.
  • Some of the lines reminded me of things, for instance when Twigs says "Miss Annie, the Robo apocolypse is nigh!" Wait, where did I hear that before?

Oh yeah, during Translate This, Sticks said that.

• Sonar's lines were, Hey Annie, "I'm gonna play vollyball all by myself" line, reminded me of-

latest?cb=20150314115523

That same scene from How to Succeed in Evil Without Really Trying.

• The pillow fights were pretty funny.
  • And am I the only one who thought the ending was rushed?

I feel rather bad for only looking forward to the episode with Shadow in it... I've tried to really get into the series as a whole, but silly, not taking itself seriously, comedy series never caught my interest too much, and stupid-Knuckles just makes me roll my eyes, at least Tails is pretty cute, design and personality-wise, maybe I can use that to help me give it more chances. I don't dislike Boom, but the whole ascetic, and feel is just kinda meh to me.

I am hopelessly in love with Boom!Shadow design though. >_>

You aren't alone, a lot of folks kinda fell of and went back in because shadow. Don't agree on the design though, I think he needs something, maybe a jacket or something. His design is a bit " we wanted to keep this one safe because everyone loves this one " A bit to " sega wouldn't let us futz with this one too much " .On the whole aesthetic I agree, it feels like an early 2000's ps2 game you know the one, those generic start up mascot platformers plaguing the xbox and ps2 that went no where which all had generic platforming levels in jungles, that is how sonic boom looks. Like a generic start up platformer. The world at least.

I feel like this season finale is going start a lot of arguments or rants about shadow, as shadow often causes, because his character is still... not great. I had a longer thing written and put in spoilers here on the subject but I accidentally back spaced and went back a page and the text is gone. But my point was, maybe we should lay off , because while yes shadow is a character that requires commitment to the concept of... things need to happen, over episodes and plot to continue. Because him being dynamic, and having lore, and a character was a lot of the appeal of that character. And yes this episode isn't that, and proves a lot of sonic boom detractors right. I will say its written rather respectfully. Thats sort of what I would like to believe, its written like they know. The joke at shadow's expense isn't really at his expense, he looks cool the whole episode and just leaves. Its written like " hey... we couldn't do much... but we hear you ". So hope other people see that and don't go into rage mode.And possibly stick around for season 2. Because this isn't the shadow episode or action episode you want. But, they know. At least I hope so. 

Edited by Shadowlax
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is just a small request, I hope someone can follow! (If you live in Canada, Can you record a episode of Sonic Boom on Family Charged? The Framerate is incredibly smooth compared to in the US! Don't worry, Its not just my TV having higher speed, Really! Only need a episode because it runs smoother and it looks like a next gen video game cutscene!)