Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

Eh, So i'm going to say some hope for the future , and some possibly give up all hope stuff. So take whichever you want to roll with. 

So on the hypothetical, their last episode wasn't a fluke and they do actually know. And on the hypothetical once they figure out what sonic boom actually is, I can see them actually doing a thing with shadow. He's popular, marketable, his popularity is built around him changing as a person, and he can just take weight off the regular group. If they wish to keep the tone of the main crew mostly jovial, every time they want some actioney stuff to happen or things to move , boom shadow episode. Much like AT you can just center the episode around the guy and instead having to make him the " white ranger " he can just do his own thing. And to be honest, despite his.... disappointing take on his character, he's still far enough to which they can just change him or whatever happens changes him. 

So that's the hope for the future news. 

This is the give up all hope news, I do not see any expansion ever on knuckles. Like ever. Simply because sega themselves have sort of forgotten since... like the early 2000's and gradually more over time... what knuckles deal was. He went from this vegeta piccolo character who lived on this island in the sky had knowledge of some echidina related mystical stuff and guarded the master emerald... to sonic's gullible friend. To sonic's dumb friend. And unlike shadow who is sort of nebulus, hasn't been shown much and if they decide to do something. They could pretty much do anything, because if you change his character he's only been in 3 sonic boom things, no one will really notice. Knuckles back story was...originally his motivation for who he was, and what he did. Its been taken away from him, and now its been made unfitting for him as a character. At least in boom. If we all recall, chaos emeralds... don't exist in sonic boom so along with making that shadow a great deal more powerful than the regular one, it sort of takes away a lot of knuckles's motivation because there isn't a master emerald, or echidina's dying because of it. He's just a dude, a dumb dude, but a dude. And the other aspect of that character, him being sort of knowledgeable about mystic stuff chaos related, is also gone not only is the chaos emeralds and M.E gone. That archaeologist type character, has been given to amy. And being wild and easily angered in some cases, and being sort of socially weird because they have been isolated for so long, now that's sticks. So who knuckles is as a character has been distributed to different folks, and taken away and he's changed so much so that its unfitting. To give him any other context besides " other echidina's might exist maybe?" is now too much. I'm not fond of this, but it is what it is.

What do you mean, by the last episode, the writers will know what Sonic Boom is about? I'm pretty sure everyone who has posted here AND the writers themselves are very aware that this is a comedy show. A simple, down-to earth and mostly satirical sit-com that both adults and kids can enjoy.

Sure they could do something with Shadow but I'm sure they'll use him sparingly in the second season.

And really? You want a comedy show to give the dumb goofball a complex backstory?

There's a reason why there is no Chaos Emeralds or Master Emerald (but they did reference Angel Island thoughit may just be Knuckles' birthplace and nothing more), it won't belong in a show like this. 

This is pretty much one of the pet peeves I have when people "criticize" Sonic Boom, heck my biggest peeve. 

Somehow, "improving" the show by completely changing it entirely. Like what?

I get that the show has some flaws but I feel that most of these "flaws" people have are more personal nitpicks than actual flaws the show has.

Like if we're talking about actual flaws of the show? We're probably talking about improving the animation, double the show's length to make the episodes have better pacing and give the townspeople redeeming qualities and such.

But what you're asking will probably never happen and to be honest, I prefer it that way. Sonic Boom is a show that probably showcases the characters in a pretty unique place in terms of comedy. While I can agree that Boom Knux could be a bit more fleshed out and such but I still find him to be a very funny character so I don't really care.

I think Roger said that, most people think "character development" will surely make the characters better or something like that. Well it's kind of important to know IMO that not everything needs a whole bunch of character development or backstory to make it better, a comedy show is good when its humor is good and yet again, most people here can admit that they must have atleast laughed once during this show's run.

• Thumbs Up 6

There's a reason why there is no Chaos Emeralds or Master Emerald (but they did reference Angel Island thoughit may just be Knuckles' birthplace and nothing more), it won't belong in a show like this. 

I believe it was once stated that Chaos Emeralds might appear later on. I could actually picture that happening in season 2, though rather than using them to develop Knux's character, I see them being used in a "race to the mcguffin" style plot. Provided we get to see Super Sonic at the climax, that has the potential to be a really funny and adventurous episode, kinda like The Curse of the Buddy Buddy Temple, except as a two-parter (something else we could get in season 2). I can see it now: "Who will reach the mythical Chaos Emeralds first, and unlock ultimate power; Team Sonic, Dr. Eggman or Shadow the Hedgehog? Find out next time on Sonic Boom!"

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe it was once stated that Chaos Emeralds might appear later on. I could actually picture that happening in season 2, though rather than using them to develop Knux's character, I see them being used in a "race to the mcguffin" style plot. Provided we get to see Super Sonic at the climax, that has the potential to be a really funny and adventurous episode, kinda like The Curse of the Buddy Buddy Temple, except as a two-parter (something else we could get in season 2). I can see it now: "Who will reach the mythical Chaos Emeralds first, and unlock ultimate power; Team Sonic, Dr. Eggman or Shadow the Hedgehog? Find out next time on Sonic Boom!"

I wouldn't mind a more adventure-esque arc on the show. The writers are pretty capable of it, I'm sure but I don't recall Bill Freiberger making any statements that Chaos Emeralds exist, there's the Chaos Crystals that appeared in Rise of Lyric, if that means anything.

I wouldn't mind a more adventure-esque arc on the show. The writers are pretty capable of it, I'm sure but I don't recall Bill Freiberger making any statements that Chaos Emeralds exist, there's the Chaos Crystals that appeared in Rise of Lyric, if that means anything.

No, it definitely wasn't Freiberger; I think it was Stephen Frost who made that statement. I do realize that anything he ever said about the show probably doesn't carry as much weight as anything Freiberger says, and if Bill confirms they definitely don't have plans to bring in the Chaos Emeralds, then that's that. However, they brought in Metal Sonic and Shadow, which was a pleasant surprise, and the Chaos Emeralds would certainly be better suited to a two-parter (something they weren't sure they could do in season 1) than a single eleven-minute episode, so if we do happen to get any in the next season, I think they have a chance of showing up.

I don't see them using the Chaos Crystals, though. They use hardly any other elements from that game already (the plane from episode 1 and the enerbeams, and only ever briefly), so why would they use the Chaos Crystals when they could use the more iconic Chaos Emeralds?

Actually, dude, the Chaos Emeralds have appeared in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, a show that is even more comedic than this show is. Heck, that show even gave Robotnik a Super Form with them! This show can take gems like this is a similar enough fashion, given an efforted writing focus on its use.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sooooo.2 things.

1. TWO DAYS AND THE SHOW STARTS! HYPE TRAIN!!!

2. Did you guys notice that in the intro, when they do the power rangers thing, sonic & amy, tails & sticks stay in the same way? Maybe they did it for a special reason

Again because this sites quoting system is broken and keeps quoting other things

"

What do you mean, by the last episode, the writers will know what Sonic Boom is about? I'm pretty sure everyone who has posted here AND the writers themselves are very aware that this is a comedy show. A simple, down-to earth and mostly satirical sit-com that both adults and kids can enjoy.

Sure they could do something with Shadow but I'm sure they'll use him sparingly in the second season.

And really? You want a comedy show to give the dumb goofball a complex backstory?

This is pretty much one of the pet peeves I have when people "criticize" Sonic Boom, heck my biggest peeve. 

Somehow, "improving" the show by completely changing it entirely. Like what?

I get that the show has some flaws but I feel that most of these "flaws" people have are more personal nitpicks than actual flaws the show has.

Like if we're talking about actual flaws of the show? We're probably talking about improving the animation, double the show's length to make the episodes have better pacing and give the townspeople redeeming qualities and such.

But what you're asking will probably never happen and to be honest, I prefer it that way. Sonic Boom is a show that probably showcases the characters in a pretty unique place in terms of comedy. While I can agree that Boom Knux could be a bit more fleshed out and such but I still find him to be a very funny character so I don't really care.

I think Roger said that, most people think "character development" will surely make the characters better or something like that. Well it's kind of important to know IMO that not everything needs a whole bunch of character development or backstory to make it better, a comedy show is good when its humor is good and yet again, most people here can admit that they must have atleast laughed once during this show's run."

To respond to you in order, the last episode of the season is sort of very aware of the shows criticisms. Instead of taking a " this is what you get for taking this seriously " the last seem is kind of shadow talking shit on how this is a shit show he doesn't want to be around. Says next time we'll fight with out all the buffoonery and leaves. After a whole epsiode of with out all contest just getting to be cool and then, just beating up sonic. The the only joke at his expense was eggman detracted him and those were the only hits sonic got in. He just... beats up sonic. No games.   Either there are some shadow fans on that staff, which is reasonable, shadow seems to be popular internally at sega. Or... they understand what critcism, and they get it. 

You are sure based on what? Remember when adventure time was a dumb comedy show, and after getting their barings it now has a damn multiverse theory running. You shouldn't exspect a show to be what it is in its first season. That's why a few posts ago I told everyone who may have been reading, that maybe season 2 might be better because if the shadow episode is any indication, they understand what criticisms have been lodged and am fine with taking it. And voicing it against themselves. Then again they could do jackus shit us. But ey, I said it was hope for the future. 

Well yes I would like knuckles to be more than a dumb goof ball, man. Its not like there is any comedy show on right now that has a dumb goof ball but also has an indepth back story... wait its called season universe. And it started out as A DUMB COMEDY SHOW. Wait you can do multiple things at once. Huh , its almost as if there are dynamics and depths to types of scrips you can write. 

They could , its fiction, they could figure out. That said for entirely other reasons I rather them not to. I am on team " chaos emeralds shouldn't exist" I like what sonic boom does emphasizing what everyone is good at. And wish that would translate over to the main serious , chaos emeralds, soul emeralds or whatever makes other characters have this weird prestige over other characters that they shouldn't have. And are supposed to make fights more even, I like the idea of shadow just being able to do the chaos control related stuff, because he just can. (I mean he does most of it with out chaos emeralds anyway, and someone could  make the argument what he can't do is because the inhibitor rings... but I'm rablin). He just has a bunch of bullshit abilities that are super strong, its just his thing. I'm into that. I'm just sad as result I have this knuckles. This... nothing. 

Adding action and lore doesn't change the show entirely actually it varies it up. Like every other comedy action show that exists. You know MLP even does this right? You know they even do that, and that show is the most basic of basic comedy and lesson learning shows, but they will fit in dragon ball z fights and shit. Because its a fun way to break it up and it doesn't become the same shit. Which is a lot of peoples problem with boom in the first place. The one i'm actually saying on the other page, that people should be patient about. But no accusing people who want the show to vary itself up like a bunch of other shows that already exist on television is called changing the show. 1) you don't own this show, they are asking about some stuff. 2) if the writers thing adding that occasionally is changing the tone of the show, in 2015 where everything is doing that because thats money in the bank. They need to be fired, pronto. Or they need to get some ex disney exec in here. 

You cannot dictate what are and what are proper flaws, just because you don't like the criticisms, outside of nuts criticisms. Like that feet guy way back. Other wise, it seems you keep running into folks who want more action and bit of story. HMMM maybe that seems to be a common critcism. HMMM maybe there is a reason for that, like something the show is lacking.... like a flaw.

If you like it that's fine, but I have better comedies to watch, so sonic boom does nothing for me, and it has no action so sonic boom extra does nothing for me, because sonic's in it. The novlety of sonic being jokey ran off in lost world. And while I like and support boom as a premise, I hope its not just this forever. Folks got other comedy shows to watch, sonic telling C tier jokes ain't gonna hold up long. 

Also " I laughed once" isn't a good... appraisal of a show... so... I don't even know what you are saying. I guess you don't know how character development works? I don't know I'm not your English teacher dude. 

No, it definitely wasn't Freiberger; I think it was Stephen Frost who made that statement. I do realize that anything he ever said about the show probably doesn't carry as much weight as anything Freiberger says, and if Bill confirms they definitely don't have plans to bring in the Chaos Emeralds, then that's that. However, they brought in Metal Sonic and Shadow, which was a pleasant surprise, and the Chaos Emeralds would certainly be better suited to a two-parter (something they weren't sure they could do in season 1) than a single eleven-minute episode, so if we do happen to get any in the next season, I think they have a chance of showing up.

I don't see them using the Chaos Crystals, though. They use hardly any other elements from that game already (the plane from episode 1 and the enerbeams, and only ever briefly), so why would they use the Chaos Crystals when they could use the more iconic Chaos Emeralds?

While I can agree that the show rarely reference the games but that doesn't really mean that they can't add the Chaos Crystals because it exists in the Boom universe so why bother implement something from the main series, when you can use a similar set of macguffins? Because no Super Boom Sonic? Eh, doesn't seem like a big dealbreaker in my eyes.

Actually, dude, the Chaos Emeralds have appeared in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, a show that is even more comedic than this show is. Heck, that show even gave Robotnik a Super Form with them! This show can take gems like this is a similar enough fashion, given an efforted writing focus on its use.

I don't see how AoStH has to with anything with Sonic Boom besides the fact both are comedic cartoons with Sonic's name in it. They're both different cartoons that does different things. AoStH is your typical Roadrunner cartoon where there's actual dialogue and does a lot of over-the-top and cartoony gags, which is fine of course. I mean who doesn't love Robotnik wear a bikini? But if I'm reading this right, you're probably thinking I'm saying the writers shouldn't do a macguffin treasure hunt similar to AoStH.

I'm saying that they can do different things like an adventure arc or something else but why add elements from a different universe when you have similar elements in the universe itself?

To respond to you in order, the last episode of the season is sort of very aware of the shows criticisms. Instead of taking a " this is what you get for taking this seriously " the last seem is kind of shadow talking shit on how this is a shit show he doesn't want to be around. Says next time we'll fight with out all the buffoonery and leaves. After a whole epsiode of with out all contest just getting to be cool and then, just beating up sonic. The the only joke at his expense was eggman detracted him and those were the only hits sonic got in. He just... beats up sonic. No games.   Either there are some shadow fans on that staff, which is reasonable, shadow seems to be popular internally at sega. Or... they understand what critcism, and they get it. 

You are sure based on what? Remember when adventure time was a dumb comedy show, and after getting their barings it now has a damn multiverse theory running. You shouldn't exspect a show to be what it is in its first season. That's why a few posts ago I told everyone who may have been reading, that maybe season 2 might be better because if the shadow episode is any indication, they understand what criticisms have been lodged and am fine with taking it. And voicing it against themselves. Then again they could do jackus shit us. But ey, I said it was hope for the future. 

Well yes I would like knuckles to be more than a dumb goof ball, man. Its not like there is any comedy show on right now that has a dumb goof ball but also has an indepth back story... wait its called season universe. And it started out as A DUMB COMEDY SHOW. Wait you can do multiple things at once. Huh , its almost as if there are dynamics and depths to types of scrips you can write. 

They could , its fiction, they could figure out. That said for entirely other reasons I rather them not to. I am on team " chaos emeralds shouldn't exist" I like what sonic boom does emphasizing what everyone is good at. And wish that would translate over to the main serious , chaos emeralds, soul emeralds or whatever makes other characters have this weird prestige over other characters that they shouldn't have. And are supposed to make fights more even, I like the idea of shadow just being able to do the chaos control related stuff, because he just can. (I mean he does most of it with out chaos emeralds anyway, and someone could  make the argument what he can't do is because the inhibitor rings... but I'm rablin). He just has a bunch of bullshit abilities that are super strong, its just his thing. I'm into that. I'm just sad as result I have this knuckles. This... nothing. 

Adding action and lore doesn't change the show entirely actually it varies it up. Like every other comedy action show that exists. You know MLP even does this right? You know they even do that, and that show is the most basic of basic comedy and lesson learning shows, but they will fit in dragon ball z fights and shit. Because its a fun way to break it up and it doesn't become the same shit. Which is a lot of peoples problem with boom in the first place. The one i'm actually saying on the other page, that people should be patient about. But no accusing people who want the show to vary itself up like a bunch of other shows that already exist on television is called changing the show. 1) you don't own this show, they are asking about some stuff. 2) if the writers thing adding that occasionally is changing the tone of the show, in 2015 where everything is doing that because thats money in the bank. They need to be fired, pronto. Or they need to get some ex disney exec in here. 

You cannot dictate what are and what are proper flaws, just because you don't like the criticisms, outside of nuts criticisms. Like that feet guy way back. Other wise, it seems you keep running into folks who want more action and bit of story. HMMM maybe that seems to be a common critcism. HMMM maybe there is a reason for that, like something the show is lacking.... like a flaw.

If you like it that's fine, but I have better comedies to watch, so sonic boom does nothing for me, and it has no action so sonic boom extra does nothing for me, because sonic's in it. The novlety of sonic being jokey ran off in lost world. And while I like and support boom as a premise, I hope its not just this forever. Folks got other comedy shows to watch, sonic telling C tier jokes ain't gonna hold up long. 

Also " I laughed once" isn't a good... appraisal of a show... so... I don't even know what you are saying. I guess you don't know how character development works? I don't know I'm not your English teacher dude. 

So Shadow is played straight, so was Metal. I don't really see how this is addressing the "critcism" the show is getting when all of the episodes were written in advance and then OuiDo animates them. But hey, if the writers can make fun of themselves  in their writing then it's pretty commendable, it helps that Freiberger and Denton are pretty active talking to the Boom fans.

So what do you consider a "smart" comedy show if Sonic Boom and early Adventure Time are "dumb" comedies? Also Adventure Time has a multiverse theory now? Sounds pretty convoluted.

Wait, there's a show called Season Universe? I've heard of Steven Universe and that's a good show based on what I've seen. 

You cannot dictate what are and what are proper flaws, just because you don't like the criticisms, outside of nuts criticisms. Like that feet guy way back.

Wow, you're comparing me to a guy that has a foot fetish..... Just wow, talk about a strawman. 

Dude, I'm going to be straight with you. This show can be better, no doubt, but just adding drama and complex stories aren't always a 100% guarantee that I will be better. A show is good when it does what it does well, Sonic Boom is a comedy. Many people have said they like the show's humor, so it's not "just me" that likes the show. So I need to list the people that are well known in the Sonic community that actually likes the show, 'cause I got my list right here. *opens up a scroll of names*

It's kind of funny that you mention Sonic Boom has no action when each episode has ATLEAST 2 action scenes but hey, it's obviously not for you and that's fine.

I guess you don't know how character development works? I don't know I'm not your English teacher dude. 

Maybe I don't, who knows I'm failed English twice in a row in college and currently going to get me a 3 in a row as well. So I guess I lost all credibility and probably also delusional as well, yeah. Complexity is the only way a show can be good, simplicity is always a terrible idea.

Edited by Soni
  • Thumbs Up 3

While all of Team Sonic were wrong to various degrees at least Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Sticks made it a point to make it up to Amy performing the play for her which was meant to insult her friends. They initially meant no harm as they ended up being bored due to Amy treating them like little kids and enforcing all of these rules and putting up with each other's flaws in the process. As for Amy she did no such thing and had she not been so controlling and keep her friends from getting food of all things would of kept things from getting out of control. If I thought anyone was mean-spirited in this episode it was Amy with what she did. Anyway, despite that the episode was enjoyable and definitely had some funny moments. Looking forward to seeing what "Counter Productive" is all about next!

Thank you! This right here is literally why I didn't like the episode personally. 

Would adding action and lore improve the show? Maybe, maybe not, but since Sonic Boom is more strictly a comedy show, I think it would be more productive to criticize some of the show's humor and characterization, and suggest ways those things could be improved, rather than complaining that it's not a different style of show. From the beginning it's been clear that Sonic Boom is meant to be a sitcom-y show with Sonic characters and a bit of action, so I think it's better to judge and criticize the show on those grounds, rather than suggesting ways the writers could change it if that's not the direction they want to go.

For the record, I also don't care for the way, earlier in your post, you refer to Adventure Time and Steven Universe as being "dumb comedies" in the beginning, as if to suggest they were somehow inferior to what they are now. That may not be what you intended, but that's how it comes off.

Edited by Hyper Enesephus
  • Thumbs Up 6

Would adding action and lore improve the show? Maybe, maybe not, but since Sonic Boom is more strictly a comedy show, I think it would be more productive to criticize some of the show's humor and characterization, and suggest ways those things could be improved, rather than complaining that it's not a different style of show. From the beginning it's been clear that Sonic Boom is meant to be a sitcom-y show with Sonic characters and a bit of action, so I think it's better to judge and criticize the show on those grounds, rather than suggesting ways the writers could change it if that's not the direction they want to go.

For the record, I also don't care for the way, earlier in your post, you refer to Adventure Time and Steven Universe as being "dumb comedies" in the beginning, as if to suggest they were somehow inferior to what they are now. That may not be what you intended, but that's how it comes off.

Oh god it quoted me right for once geez. I don't think sonic boom is strictly anything , I think they are still trying o figure that thing out. 

Also it wasn't clear that sonic boom was supposed to be sitcom-ey at all. From the character bios , from the pictures and media produced for the show, it protrays sonic boom as a new action adventure, games even. But the show is not that, that's where I think a lot of criticism from, even the characters designs aren't meant to be sitcom. They are clearly built to be action characters for action things for very specific roles for action. So the idea, that sonic boom has been clear premise from its beginning, its out right lie. Especially when you consider all the other crap that happened behind the scenes. And how sonic boom was supposed to be two different things, but now its one. So the pure sitcom nature of season, might change in season two because of the fuster cluck of planning that was all sonic boom related media to this point. What sonic boom is right now is no clearer than it was when it was first announced, a new take on sonic.Internally or externally. 

Also " man this show would be better if they did this " is a valid criticism, and maybe there is a good reason you keep seeing that exact criticism. Maybe as a comedy, it just not good, so they are judging it on its own merits, its not interesting enough to stand on its own as a comedy. And needs other shit. 

Lastly, yes yes AT and SU are way better now than they are then. Strait up, first few episode of SU are strait doo doo,aside from tiger millionaire of coure,  and when they start getting to whats actually happening becomes vastly more interesting. Hell MLP figured this out and now has people dedicated to adding lore to all their girl centered property. I hope it does come off that way, adventure where character development happens is way better than when it doesn't. But it takes both to make it the best, I don't want sonic boom to be strictly action either. One makes you appreciate the other thing. 

Oh god it quoted me right for once geez. I don't think sonic boom is strictly anything , I think they are still trying o figure that thing out. 

Also it wasn't clear that sonic boom was supposed to be sitcom-ey at all. From the character bios , from the pictures and media produced for the show, it protrays sonic boom as a new action adventure, games even. But the show is not that, that's where I think a lot of criticism from, even the characters designs aren't meant to be sitcom. They are clearly built to be action characters for action things for very specific roles for action. So the idea, that sonic boom has been clear premise from its beginning, its out right lie. Especially when you consider all the other crap that happened behind the scenes. And how sonic boom was supposed to be two different things, but now its one. So the pure sitcom nature of season, might change in season two because of the fuster cluck of planning that was all sonic boom related media to this point. What sonic boom is right now is no clearer than it was when it was first announced, a new take on sonic.Internally or externally. 

Also " man this show would be better if they did this " is a valid criticism, and maybe there is a good reason you keep seeing that exact criticism. Maybe as a comedy, it just not good, so they are judging it on its own merits, its not interesting enough to stand on its own as a comedy. And needs other shit. 

Lastly, yes yes AT and SU are way better now than they are then. Strait up, first few episode of SU are strait doo doo,aside from tiger millionaire of coure,  and when they start getting to whats actually happening becomes vastly more interesting. Hell MLP figured this out and now has people dedicated to adding lore to all their girl centered property. I hope it does come off that way, adventure where character development happens is way better than when it doesn't. But it takes both to make it the best, I don't want sonic boom to be strictly action either. One makes you appreciate the other thing. 

When I said "from the beginning," I meant from the show's beginning; the first eight episodes made it very clear what kind of show we would be in for, though it has evolved since then with its humor and characters. I'm aware that it was hyped up as an action-adventure show after its announcement, and I do feel bad for the people who were expecting such a show, but I think that's something that should be held against SEGA, not the show's creators or the show itself.

Edited by Hyper Enesephus
  • Thumbs Up 3

So Shadow is played straight, so was Metal. I don't really see how this is addressing the "critcism" the show is getting when all of the episodes were written in advance and then OuiDo animates them. But hey, if the writers can make fun of themselves  in their writing then it's pretty commendable, it helps that Freiberger and Denton are pretty active talking to the Boom fans.

Its not about shadow being played strait, metal sonic is played strait and leaves. Shadow despite some bad lines, in that episode basically lodges a very valid criticism of the show itself. If you didn't realize they were doing that cubot and orbot make that very clear at the end. And then just leaves, its like if the season finally of an avengers show was black panther showing up, being cooler than everyone else, and has a dedicated character to tell you how cool he is. Beats up captain america, talks about this show and everyone in it leaves. Its more of one of those glorified toy commercial episodes

"hey kids, look at this cool guy he'll be back later to be cool " Heck, its the season finale. The end of shattered crystal alludes to this and I remember some sonic boom staff talking about they wanted to do things with shadow. If that's all what it was, then that would have been in it. But shadow making that criticism, specifically shadow means a great deal more than everyone else.

If sonic and crew made that criticism, it would have been self referential or sarcastic.If eggman did it it would have been him being tired of loosing.If any of the towns folk did it it would have been seen as nobodies voicing their criticism on the people who actually matter, heck they that episode where the town is just annoying and idiots. If cubot and orbot would have did it, it would have been cheeky. ( which they show at the end of that very same episode)

But shadow, its different. He, especially today, is many things greater himself. So him just dropping in, beating up sonic and saying " Yo this show is wack, and i'll be back to make it cooler later " Is like " hey... hey watch season 2". especially considering the only reason season one might be the way it is was no one was actually aware what form each piece of sonic boom was going to take, and still kinda aren't. And maybe their statements about " this is what the show is " is just " this is just what the show is.... right now" which is how you should take most statements on media. 

" hey, maybe shadow will show up more,  I dunno, watch the 2nd season . "

Sonic Boom is a comedy sitcom. If you don't want the show to be this, and would rather it get more drama/action/seriousness then this isn't the show for you. Because obviously a comedy sitcom is not your preference in a cartoon.

It may not be in future, and can change and doesn't happen to be. And that show not being that as of currently, because you may or may not be fond of whats happening. Or aren't just aren't feeling the comedy and feel like action might break up the sea of sub par jokes, these are fair criticism. And will be made, if you don't like that, I would advise you to just not post about sonic boom. Its a common criticism, and very prevalent in most sonic boom forums. If you wan't sonic boom circle of kindness, you can open your own thread and have your own rules bout that. Until then people can voice their opinions. Also that option is dumb because what if the person specifically wants sonic related media, and this and the games as of current aren't doing it for them? Should they not desire something different should they not voice that?

Yeah I know it may hurt folks don't like the thing you like, but it happens, you should be used to it you like sonic. A bunch of people on almost every sonic forum have been shitting on sonic boom since conception, and the show and games haven't been giving them reason to stop. And I like, at least the premise of sonic boom, but I also understand people feel differently. so instead of telling people to just go away , how about you just deal with it. 

And again your suggestion makes no sense because , what if johnny likes comedy sitcoms but doesn't think sonic shouldn't be one? Should he not voice that? Or likes them but think sonic boom is mediocre one, should he not voice that? What if he is generally interested in sonic media, and this seems to be the only one in assistance at the moment that is new, and he isn't feeling it. You see where this " go away" logic falls apart. Come on man, you aren't 12. Well unless you are actually 12. Then I have news for you about the world. 

When I said "from the beginning," I meant from the show's beginning; the first eight episodes made it very clear what kind of show we would be in for, though it has evolved since then with its humor and characters. I'm aware that it was hyped up as an action-adventure show after its announcement, and I do feel bad for the people who were expecting such a show, but I think that's something that should be held against SEGA, not the show's creators or the show itself.

This. So much this.

Not to mention the sitcom formula is more stretchable and ductile than we think it is. Why were shows like Seinfeld and Friends so ground-breaking in the first place? They brought life an old familiar formula by just adding new content. Changed the focus, narratively speaking. Brought up new ideas to the table on what constitutes a sitcom. That kind of stuff.

Sonic Boom is there too. The physical action isn't the focus here. It's the social one. How they are to each other. That's the focus of this show. Times are a-changing.

However, the marketing is less than a fairytale for everyone involved. Much because the show has yet to acquire an identity that doesn't have the bandwagon after-taste that many run-of-the-mill shows have today. Due to being such an old faithful franchise by a company in a nail-biting transition phase, Sonic can't afford being marketed as average and thus the boastful yet confusing production values have become a fact. 

Edited by AC/H&M
  • Thumbs Up 1

OK, sure, I wouldn't mind there being a little more action in Boom, but I'm well aware it's not the show's focus. No, every Saturday morning, I get up at 7:00 AM expecting a good laugh from an episode of Sonic Boom.

I'm grateful for the action sequences, and they're decently done and enjoyable in their own right, but they're not everything in the show (despite Boom having more of an action focus compared to Sonic's last comedic cartoon). The silly misadventures the characters find themselves in and the humor that comes out of their reactions to said situations (as well as character interactions in general) is what makes up a good chunk of it. Heck, most of the action sequences still have a good amount of humor interspersed within.

I accept Boom for what it is because a hilarious action-comedy (emphasis on "comedy") is what it is, and I'm happy to say so. I'm sure there are plenty of other people here who feel the same. If that's not good enough for you, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Maybe in season 2, there will be more action; we don't know for sure. But I'll still be expecting to laugh. A lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

New Boom episodes are airing from tomorrow onwards in the UK. I'm also happy to announce that Sonic Boom will be airing on Cartoon Network UK on weekends on top of the Boomerang UK airings.

At best, I'm expecting longer episodes and a some sort of arc, an adventure arc would be nice for Season 2. Maybe with more Shads and Metal too, I don't really care. I come to Sonic Boom for humor, not for action. The action scenes that are there can be good if done well, I mean it makes the characters look like action heroes, I mean I still remember Tails catching a missile midair and sent straight back at a Crab-bot or Motobug and had a badass pose in Late Night Wars. Having more cooler looking action scenes are a must since Sonic is primarily an action/adventure series but Boom is a comedy so they kind of have to focus more on comedy than action. Bill Freiberger himself is aware of this, I think he mentioned this in the Sonic Boom Commentaries or is this from Frost, I don't know.

Overall, Sonic Boom is a good show that can be better if it does small tweaks to make the good parts gooder(humor, action, character interactions) and fix on the weak parts(animation, pacing and music for those who're really bothered by it) while adding a bit extra here and there(a comedic adventure arc). 

• Thumbs Up 3

It may not be in future, and can change and doesn't happen to be. And that show not being that as of currently, because you may or may not be fond of whats happening. Or aren't just aren't feeling the comedy and feel like action might break up the sea of sub par jokes, these are fair criticism. And will be made, if you don't like that, I would advise you to just not post about sonic boom. Its a common criticism, and very prevalent in most sonic boom forums. If you wan't sonic boom circle of kindness, you can open your own thread and have your own rules bout that. Until then people can voice their opinions. Also that option is dumb because what if the person specifically wants sonic related media, and this and the games as of current aren't doing it for them? Should they not desire something different should they not voice that?

Yeah I know it may hurt folks don't like the thing you like, but it happens, you should be used to it you like sonic. A bunch of people on almost every sonic forum have been shitting on sonic boom since conception, and the show and games haven't been giving them reason to stop. And I like, at least the premise of sonic boom, but I also understand people feel differently. so instead of telling people to just go away , how about you just deal with it. 

And again your suggestion makes no sense because , what if johnny likes comedy sitcoms but doesn't think sonic shouldn't be one? Should he not voice that? Or likes them but think sonic boom is mediocre one, should he not voice that? What if he is generally interested in sonic media, and this seems to be the only one in assistance at the moment that is new, and he isn't feeling it. You see where this " go away" logic falls apart. Come on man, you aren't 12. Well unless you are actually 12. Then I have news for you about the world. 

I've criticized this show many times in the Boom commentaries. The vast majority love this show the way it is. The people who don't, like you, seem to have this entitled view that the show must become something completely different to cater to their view and their view alone. Which, in television, is perhaps the worst thing you could do.

It has nothing to do with people "hating things I don't". It has to do with people turning a show into something it isn't. A show isn't going to appeal to everyone. If it doesn't appeal to you then sorry. Obviously you're not enjoying this show. And that's fine. But forcing a show to completely change what they're all about and getting upset when people want the writers to stick to what seems to be working isn't. There's a borderline between criticism and standards. There's plenty of Sonic media out there. But not everything has to be serious and not everything has to be funny. People like serious stuff and people like funny stuff. But just because it's Sonic doesn't mean you have to watch it and put up with it.

Overreacting wasn't necessary. Nor was basically attacking me for simply recommending people find something that appeals to them more that I feel you would enjoy. Sonic Boom's a comedy show and it's going to likely stay that way. I'm sorry if you don't like that but that doesn't mean you have to put up with it. But people do love this show and they're just as allowed to do so as you are allowed to dislike it.

Edited by SSF1991
  • Thumbs Up 9

Anyone else a little down that the show is ending soon? I know it's picked up for another season, but has that even started production yet? I like having that little Sonic treat to look forward to every saturday.. Here's hoping season 2 has a greater focus on Sonic himself. (The stars of season 1 were really Tails and Eggman.) I'd like to see more game characters appear, even just for one episode, like Metal Sonic did. (Rouge please!) Holiday specials would be awesome. Sonic's never had a proper Halloween special..

• Thumbs Up 1

hehe guys! look at this! its pretty funny :lol:

XD i love it!

I knew it's going to be a matter of time when someone does this when the scene happened!

• Thumbs Up 1

hehe guys! look at this! its pretty funny :lol:

XD i love it!

Oh my god! That was amazing! Had tears in my eyes. Just a masterpiece!

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone else a little down that the show is ending soon? I know it's picked up for another season, but has that even started production yet? I like having that little Sonic treat to look forward to every saturday.. Here's hoping season 2 has a greater focus on Sonic himself. (The stars of season 1 were really Tails and Eggman.) I'd like to see more game characters appear, even just for one episode, like Metal Sonic did. (Rouge please!) Holiday specials would be awesome. Sonic's never had a proper Halloween special..

Hey. you, we think alike, I like you.

Anyway, as much as I love Boom, Sorta glad it's stopping for a moment, I won't have to wake up early to see it/have to watch it the following day if i miss it. I feel like they'll start posting episodes on TV when they're done making all the episodes, like they did with this season.

I have no idea who had the most time as the "Star" of the show, but Sticks needed more episodes based around her. She just... felt there sometimes. Sonic is the titular character, so yeah, I hope for more focus on him, too.

Rouge is also one of my favorite characters. so I'd be down to see her in Boom.