Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

No, I'm pretty sure Boom has made it clear what it wants to be: a light-hearted slice-of-life comedy with action sprinkled in between jokes. That's been consistent throughout the show and comics.

Are you seriously suggesting we brush off an entire year's worth of material and have no clue what to expect from this series?

Yes. 

Sonic boom isn't my first franchise rebranding/rebooting/sectioning offing rodeo. And it probably wont be my last. 

I'm going to wait. Not even mentioning the shenanigans involving this project.  

Also this is sega, so i'm going to wait harder. 

You all have fun though.

" are you suggesting we brush off a years worth of meteral" 

Do you companies have thrown away more off the idea that something else might be more viable. I'm doing to wait. 

Edited by Shadowlax

We don't. Its the first season of a show. Apart of a section of a franchise, that doesn't know what it is, and has been tripping over its sports tape for the last year, and odds are the games and show weren't even being made in conjunction with each other. And We don't even know how they are going to handle other sonic boom media moving forward including the show itself.

I'm not talking about the games nor other Boom media. I'm talking about the cartoon. And the cartoon knows exactly what it wants to be. A comedy sitcom.

The only change that happens to a show following its first season is that it hits its creative peak as setting things up and establishing characters are no longer a necessity. Maybe a few more settings will be seen but what we got in season one, especially the latter half, is likely what season two will be like.

Along with that everyone personalities have been jumping everywhere the entire season like folks on the creative end didn't even know what to do.  Style of writing could easily change over time by change of direction or new writers. Style of humor could also change. Along with that, its a part of a franchise that's been trying to figure out what it wants to be and get out of itself.

It has already been confirmed that the show will continue to be produced by the same people. Why would that stuff change? This basically goes right back to my "it's the worst thing you could do to change what they've made the show be" argument. And the only personality that has been jumping has been Amy's. Sonic's had a little more of an ego than normal at times but otherwise he's been just fine.

Also this is sega, so i'm going to wait harder.

Except SEGA's only involvement in the show is supervising. Companies like OuiDo! Productions actually make the show. SEGA has little to do with this.

Edited by SSF1991
  • Thumbs Up 7

I suppose that episode was alright. I definitely wouldn't want Knuckles to be my 'friend'.

Oh man, just one episode left...

Except SEGA's only involvement in the show is supervising. Companies like OuiDo! Productions actually make the show. SEGA has little to do with this.

You know what.

You have fun. Enjoy yourself. 

Edited by Shadowlax

You know what.

You have fun. Enjoy yourself. 

You clearly don't have any idea how the Sonic Boom branch is being handled. SEGA is supervising it. OuiDo! is working on the show, and has written and made the episodes.

• Thumbs Up 5

Okay, this episode is another one of my favourites. At first I felt sorry for Charlie when Knuckles tried to 'help' him. And later felt sorry for the latter when Charlie started bullying him to the extreme.

• Knuckles saying "Don't look at me, I'M A BALLERINA" and then dancing out was hilarious. I was going to ask for a gif for that but thanks Kiah!

D0wfoGQ.gif?1

• I have to admit, Charlie laughing maniacally with one of the ancient stuff was one of my favourite scenes for some reason...

hbbqzdy.jpg?1

But the best parts was the fight scene, and dat music (again)-

• Everyone gathers as Knux faces Charlie (Mike didn't need to state the obvious... -_-)
  • After some exchange, Eggman arrives, and supports Charlie! (I wasn't expecting him there, but it was funny nonetheless) His wife also supports him, O_O...
  • Few hours of buttkicking later Knux wins!

I thought the best part was the character development I thought the villagers were cheering for Knuckles, and Knux himself offered the burgers treat for his friends was a cute character moment.

Also, LAST EPISODE airs next week! Once Season 1 is done with, I better go on a gif/pic hunt for a review....

EEDIT: Since this episode was kinda based on bullying and standing up for yourself, CN kinda (?) missed the opportunity to put the stop bullying speak up feature that was put when No Robots Allowed was aired.

D7pl31i.jpg?1

Unless there was a no bullying awareness day on that day...

• Thumbs Up 2

Im so excited for todays episode.

So, today the third episode aired.

Tranlat-My fair Sticksy

Yep. Translate this was the thrid episode in USA, but we got my fair sticksy. At first i was a little scared how our VA will play Sticks, bu this episode made me fell that shes very good for this role.Man, i still want to post the episodes, if someone would record them.

Back to the episode. I like how we saw how sticks is for the first time. That Ballot robot made me laugh. Also, the fact that Knux can play the piano. I like how Knux and Sonic joked about the ellegant people.

So, that means that the order is the one from wikipedia, so the next episode is gonna be ...Circus of plunders

You clearly don't have any idea how the Sonic Boom branch is being handled. SEGA is supervising it. OuiDo! is working on the show, and has written and made the episodes.

No i do. I just know better than to put certain about it right now. If you choose to be I wont stop you . Also you all are... are really under estimating the term supervising. You realize sega can just tell them to do something right? They can tell them to do something else, this is a brand that they own. They could at any point tell them to go a different way with the show or incorporate different things and there is conversation about this, because their contracted for it and they sort of have to listen.If Marvel hires me for a book or even a series of books, at any point they could instruct me to just do something different, this happens often. It happened with archie.  ... never mind i'm not arguing about it. Anyway, I will sit alone in my skepticism chair.

Please by all means go a head. 

All I think is sega is rethinking a lot of sonic related things at the momento. How boom is handled might be one of them. By the way me saying the show might change  you all assume means in my favor. That the action, and more plot will win the day. No, i mean either way. Season 2 could start with them litteraly on a fake sitcom set dancing around shadow burning corpse while the words " you were a mistake" spell themselves out into flames. Me saying I don't know where this is going isn't some feel good thing, I just am acknowledging that might change considering the circumstances. . And I never take season 1 of anyshow as law. Especially one that's being commissioned . Because whatever they said they wanted to do, they can be told to do something different or to add or even take away things, and they have to just do it. 

Shadowlax, that appears to be more feelings of paranoia than actual legitimate concerns or reasons not to feel certain about the show's direction when it's crystal clear already. Like SEGA'S gonna out-of-the-blue demand such senile out of nowhere,  changes. 

Anyway,  whoop, this first Season had overall been loads of fun. Yes,  there have been a few missteps, but the show always finds its way back with future episodes that have knocked it out of the park; this latest one included.

Can't wait to see that finale coming up! 

• Thumbs Up 4

I do agree on the several concerns of the blank slate-ish nature this show has, unfortunately. It's really standard and the reliance on just the appearance of the characters themselves do feel too obvious and, dare I say it, patronizing. 

But that's okay. But if they want to keep up being self-aware, they have try a little bit harder than the cheap cop-outs these last episodes have produced. If you want your characters to be sympathetic, the only credible conclusion to self-awareness is humility, not indifference (Knuckles) nor braggadocio (Sonic).

Anyone else kinda noticed the hint that Charlie was already a bad seed if he stole apple baskets at his former job and was fired for it? So it's not like him being a villain was out of left field.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've seen some people on different websites who questioned if Charlie is related to Dave. I doubt it, because Charlie looks like a gerbil, just look at his tail and rodent like face. Dave on the other hand, we have no certain idea what he is. Some guess he's a dog, but his face resembles too much of a rodent, and his ears look too short to be a dog's. My biggest guess is he's some kind of gopher.

I'm surprised the show hasn't mentioned it yet, since the only full name he's ever given is Dave the Intern. Most of the other characters are so obvious as to what they are, that you don't even need to know their names to figure it out. The only real exceptions are Mike the Ox and Lady Goat, since most people mistook them for cows at first, and Perci. I remember how everyone was baffled by what the heck she was at first, everyone questioned if she was a hedgehog, or an echidna. But it turned out she is a bandicoot. 

It's funny how even after leaving as Eggman's intern, he's still referred to as Dave the Intern. Just working at a fast food industry does not make someone an intern, it makes them an employee. 

Edited by SpongicX

Anyone else kinda noticed the hint that Charlie was already a bad seed if he stole apple baskets at his former job and was fired for it? So it's not like him being a villain was out of left field.

Actually, it says in the dialogue he was fired for dropping apples. Make of that what you will.

So... "Counter-productive" was an episode.

Already knowing it was a Knuckles-centric episode, I didn't have the highest of expectations. The show has a habit of focusing on how stupid or incompetent Knuckles can be, I find the jokes less and less funny as time goes on. And they've been at it for 50 episodes--it's tiring.

The core idea of the episode isn't a bad one, however. Knuckles's attempts to make things right with Charlie show that he is well-meaning, even going to the point of not wanting to fight Charlie because he realizes it's his fault he turned out this way. It does highlight that this version of Knuckles at least tries not to use his strength unnecessarily, and it adds a little bit of depth he so desperately needs. It's also fun watching him fight, where he really shines and gets to show off moments of competence and resourcefulness he lacks in... basically every other facet of his life. I can at least commend this episode for giving a more balanced portrayal of Knuckles--he's an idiot, but he is also gentle, friendly, and at least capable of learning from his mistakes (but only after piling them up to the point they topple over on him). It's a shame these qualities don't come up all that often.

I don't really have much else to say. The humor in the episode didn't do much for me; Knuckles's actual attempts to make things up to Charlie, but ultimately making things worse, made me slap my forehead and groan more than laugh. It should be funny, and maybe I'd find it funny if we hadn't been doing this schtick for quite a while now. The humor hit rock bottom when the bison guy says "We're doing a parody!" Because explaining jokes makes them so much funnier.

Welp, guess next week we'll see how things go with Shadow... can't say I'm looking forward to it, but hopefully he's more likable than his RoL incarnation.

Actually, it says in the dialogue he was fired for dropping apples. Make of that what you will.

So... "Counter-productive" was an episode.

Already knowing it was a Knuckles-centric episode, I didn't have the highest of expectations. The show has a habit of focusing on how stupid or incompetent Knuckles can be, I find the jokes less and less funny as time goes on. And they've been at it for 50 episodes--it's tiring.

The core idea of the episode isn't a bad one, however. Knuckles's attempts to make things right with Charlie show that he is well-meaning, even going to the point of not wanting to fight Charlie because he realizes it's his fault he turned out this way. It does highlight that this version of Knuckles at least tries not to use his strength unnecessarily, and it adds a little bit of depth he so desperately needs. It's also fun watching him fight, where he really shines and gets to show off moments of competence and resourcefulness he lacks in... basically every other facet of his life. I can at least commend this episode for giving a more balanced portrayal of Knuckles--he's an idiot, but he is also gentle, friendly, and at least capable of learning from his mistakes (but only after piling them up to the point they topple over on him). It's a shame these qualities don't come up all that often.

I don't really have much else to say. The humor in the episode didn't do much for me; Knuckles's attempts to make things up to Charlie made me slap my forehead and groan more than laugh. It should be funny, and maybe I'd find it funny if we hadn't been doing this schtick for quite a while now. The humor hit rock bottom when the bison guy says "We're doing a parody!" Because explaining jokes makes them so much funnier.

Welp, guess next week we'll see how things go with Shadow... can't say I'm looking forward to it, but hopefully he's more likable than his RoL incarnation.

Guess I misremembered there. Thought the indication that the guy actually did something bad would clue the audience that this was a person Knuckles should't help anyway. Though Charlie does seem like he wouldn't want to do anything that risks losing his job and invoke his wife's fury.

I just watched 'counter-productive'...sorry, folks, I just can't get into this show like I would want to. It has its moments, but the character portrayals I find consistently unlikable and grating. By the middle of the episode, I was hating Knuckles.

Sonic X certainly had its flaws, but I found that the characters were likable for the most part; they hardly ever done actions to each other that were harmful.

Knuckles in Sonic X wasn't the brightest, but he was usually competent with a dedication to his duty of guarding the Master Emerald (A somewhat forgotten plot element, but that is for another discussion). Knuckles in Sonic boom is a fool who very quickly goes from a character who is mildly amusing to someone you just want to leave and never return.

Maybe my opinion will change when I see Shadow in the next episode, I quite liked the French version, but for now, this show has left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well crap, forgot to post my thoughts on the episode!

Here we are once again with another one of my Boom-isode reviews. I was looking forward to Counter Productive since this is an episode that most of us didn’t really know much about outside of the basic synopsis and Charlie, of course.

First off, I really like Charlie, another fine addition to Boom’s set of villains that are atleast alive. Sorry Nominatus, Orbot and Cubot really screwed you over with Rock, Donut, Thursday huh. And it’s a Knuckles episode too; those are the best kinds of episodes to be honest since I do find Boom Knux to be one of my favorite interpretations of the character and I’m confident some people can agree to some extent can agree to that as well.

So the episode starts off with Sonic and Knuckles doing things but surprisingly it’s not them doing something dangerous but rather who can stay up longer than each other, so the same amount of silliness in some way. This episode really sums up Knuckles’ personality in the show to be honest or atleast shows a good chunk. He does want to help out people but his stupidity and ego screws it up and he’s oblivious to it as well, to Charlie’s demise. But as much as the show tries to push Knuckles as a jerk, the episode quickly made me sympathize with him as well. It broke my heart when Charlie smooshed Knuckles’ ice cream across his face and it made love me love the guy even more when Knuckles admits that it’s his fault that Charlie broke. And when it becomes clear that Charlie doesn’t want to reform, Knuckles is more than happy to throw down with him and really show off why he’s the brawn of the team.

Overall, a really nice and cute episode that made me like Boom Knux a lot more and added a really nice addition to the rogue gallery of Boom.

And now, next week we have the season finale with good ol’ Edgy the Hedgy. Really excited to hear Kirk Thornton give a hopefully solid performance as Shadow since he never did have a strong grip of him or much dialogue since Free Riders but I did liked how he voiced Shadow in Shattered Crystal. So there’s that but will it be enough to win over the Boom haters? Probably not but who cares? I know I don’t. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh, boy. The topic title's changed. That hasn't happened in awhile, so this yells "important" (if the words "SEASON FINALE" in all caps don't do that already).

It's really starting to sink in now... this is it for season one. The end is near.

But it wouldn't be me if I didn't look on the bright side. As if I haven't reminded you enough, the show, in spite of its relation to horrible games and CN's lack of advertising and 7:00 AM timeslot, proved popular enough for a second season! Here's hoping SEGA, OuiDO!, and CN don't keep us waiting...

and CN actually promotes the show next season

• Thumbs Up 6