Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

I find it amusing how half of the villains in this show are Kirk Thornton using the same basic voice...and now Shadow is among those ranks.

"He's only the second most popular character in the whole canon!"

Speaking of whom, enjoyed the fight with Sonic. It seems like the writers are hinting that he'll play a more significant role in season 2, which I am totes okay with.

"Just think of all the hundreds more stories to be told using the same eight characters and four locations! The possibilities are limitless!" Unsure if just being snarky or hinting at at an expanded world/cast next season.

I love how self-aware the writing staff is. I found the show kinda shaky at first, but they really found their footing and made the first season a hoot to watch every week.

• Thumbs Up 6

I finally got the chance to see the episode, and boy was it worth the wait. While the first act was a bit slow (that furniture-assembly subplot was not finale material), the actual battle sequence was awesome. I love that we've finally gotten to see Shadow in Sonic Boom, and now that the writers know how they want to handle the character, I hope to see a lot more of him in season 2. I think Kirk Thornton's performance as Shadow has improved, though I never hated or even really disliked it all that much, so I guess take that with a grain of salt. It doesn't really work on SEGA Shadow, but with Boom Shadow's altered personality, I think the voice fits.

I loved seeing all the villains return, especially Charlie and T.W. Barker, the latter of whom really got stiffed this season (seriously, his only three speaking roles were between episodes 10 and 20; after that, he only ever got non-speaking cameos), so I was a bit surprised to see him here.  Also, Eggman geeking out over Shadow made the episode really funny, along with the fourth wall breaking, which was taken to a whole new level (seriously, the fourth wall was bulldozed, scattered and pissed on in this one).

I do have a few nitpicks, though. The first being, like I said, the subplot about putting together furniture was really not finale material. I realize the writers were trying to juxtapose Eggman planning the destruction of our heroes with said heroes doing something completely ordinary, unaware that anything big was about to happen, but I simply did not find it funny or interesting in the least. Every time we cut to Sonic and friends, I just sat there waiting for the episode to cut back to the villains, which kind of leads into my next problem with the episode: Sonic is not the focus character. Instead, Eggman is, which just really bothers me. I understand that Eggman is a very prominent character in this show (when you've got Mike Pollock as the voice actor, you pretty much have to give him a lot of focus), and I have no problem with that, but to have him be the star of the final episode of Sonic Boom just doesn't seem right to me. 

Finally, and this really is the most minor complaint, where was Metal Sonic? In an episode bringing back old villains and robots, it just strikes me as odd not to bring back Metal, who is both a villain and a robot. I suppose the writers may have thought that having two fan favorites in one episode (and also the debut episode of one of said fan favorites) would have been too much, but still.

However, even with those little issues I have with the episode, it is still a fantastic episode and a great way to wrap up the season. It has been an amazing ride, and I can't wait to see what's in store for season two (hopefully a lot more Shadow).

• Thumbs Up 4

Edit: Nevermind. Someone just decided to take the commentary version and edit the intro onto it.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer

I enjoyed the finale a bunch. I loved Eggman fanboying over Shadow and all the fourth wall gags.

I can't wait for season 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

Finally, and this really is the most minor complaint, where was Metal Sonic?

I feel like in any reality, Shadow is way more willing to humor anyone than metal sonic is. Metal sonic doesn't even listen to eggman half the time. All his best robots wise up and leave. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp the first season of this show is over. Overall Sonic Boom is an enjoyable cartoon to watch, although I've seen better ones out there. Not to say it's a bad show. In comparison to a handful of great cartoons on t.v right now, it's not that good. On the positive side, there wasn't one episode that made me roll my eyes in annoyance. Even the episodes I didn't like. That's something I can't say about Sonic x or Sonic underground. 

So yeah, I'm ready for season 2. I just hope they improve on it. 

• Thumbs Up 5

It's literally funny how so many videos is literally just one commentary video copy and pasted.

• Thumbs Up 4

The season finale was fine. Personally, I wished the episode would've made fun of Shadow a little bit, but I guess there's always Season 2.

It kind of did, it also kind of gave light jabs at those who are obsessed with Shadow. After Shadow left, and Eggman started getting upset over how someone as cool as Shadow just walked out, Dave replied by saying something like "if standing at the back of the room while crossing your arms is cool, than I must have been coolest kid at my prom." I feel the creators were joking about how Shadow barely does anything anymore, yet fans act like he's the best character ever. I thought it was kind of funny. Despite being a flat out villain in the Boom series, I was impressed with how Shadow stayed consistent to his character throughout. He wasn't used for any comic relief, and the only humor reflecting him, was his lack of interest in the other villains, and how others responded around him, especially Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm uploading the episode right now :P (without commentary ;) )

sss.png

Oh good! xD All I get is the French version or English dubs.

It kind of did, it also kind of gave light jabs at those who are obsessed with Shadow. After Shadow left, and Eggman started getting upset over how someone as cool as Shadow just walked out, Dave replied by saying something like "if standing at the back of the room while crossing your arms is cool, than I must have been coolest kid at my prom." I feel the creators were joking about how Shadow barely does anything anymore, yet fans act like he's the best character ever. I thought it was kind of funny. Despite being a flat out villain in the Boom series, I was impressed with how Shadow stayed consistent to his character throughout. He wasn't used for any comic relief, and the only humor reflecting him, was his lack of interest in the other villains, and how others responded around him, especially Eggman.

If we're being honest did Shadow even do much in SA2 of note?

But yeah there were some light jabs at Shadow and his fanbase in there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone else find it funny that Shadow's Boom debut episode aired one day before the 10 year anniversary of Shadow's game?

• Thumbs Up 5

Ah yes, I thoroughly enjoyed that (even if I already knew what was happening), didn't stray very far from the French dub.

I really liked this episode. It was funnier than most. As for Shadow's characterization, eh, I actually like it. For a comedic show like this, it works. His voice on the other hand... I don't know. I might be able to get used to it here, but I really don't think it works for the traditional canon. Also

"Who's Shadow?"

"He's only the second most popular character in the whole canon!"

Best. Exchange. Ever. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think that joke about the arms was that meta, shadow has always been like that, he's just soft spoken. I think it was a jab, but I don't think its that meta. Along with the villain thing, apparently " shadow fights for pride" as the guy tweeted out, so and that thing that is happening in sonic dash two. I don't see shadow being a " villain " for long. I also don't think he's consistent to his character,( at least comparing regular shadow to this one) but I will say, him just feeling sorry for eggman is actually a step in the right direction, and hopefully, that like with the end of shattered crystal is the kind of shadow we get in future. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The beginning is cut off.

Yeah, sorry about that... 

Did you remove the beginning to not get a copyright strike?

Yes, I uploaded it before with the intro and got an strike within minutes :/ 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I uploaded it before with the intro and got an strike within minutes :/ 

Yeah, I thought so. That's all good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally saw the finale!

Wow, I mean, just... WOW. This is how to do fanservice correctly! (The non-lewd kind, that is. Look to Deviantart for the other kind) Eggman captured the fans' reactions to Shadow perfectly, and I can safely say Kirk Thornton has earned his position as ol' Edgy the Hedgy! I loved seeing all the villains again (although Nominatus was gone for obvious reasons. ;n;7), and they did a surprisingly good job together, until Eggman ruined everything with his fanboying! And Orbot and Cubot absolutely killed it with the Self-Deprecation and Lampshade-Hanging!

Eh... it was fine.

Not gonna go that far. Like the rest of the season C at best. This episode just had my favorite character in it. Maybe two will be better. This episode had some interesting stuff, but it was just... fine.