Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

So, looking back at season one, what was everyone's top ten favorite episodes? Here is mine.. 1. The Sidekick 2. Can an Evil Genius.. 3. Sleeping Giant 4. My Fair Sticksy 5. Double Doomsday 6. Unlucky Knuckles 7. Curse of Buddy-Buddy Temple 8. Sole Power 9. Guilt Tripping 10. Closed Door Policy

I haven't yet decided on an order, but my top ten favorite episodes are:

1. The Sidekick (for a perfect balance of action, adventure and comedy)

14. The Meteor (for doing a freaky Friday plot correctly and hilariously)

22. The Curse of the Buddy Buddy Temple (for taking us to a different location and giving us a real feeling of adventure)

38. New Year's Retribution (for the execution of its great premise and its heart)

39. Battle of the Boy Bands (for being possibly the funniest episode of the show)

43. Fire in a Crowded Workshop (Perci, Also, for its humor and more insight to the characters' mindsets)

47. Fuzzy Puppy Buddies (for its humor and heart)

50. Cabin Fever (for taking me back to my childhood)

51. Counter Productive (for its great premise, a great new character, and covering all its bases)

52. It Takes a Village to Defeat a Hedgehog (Shadow. Just Shadow. If I have to say more, its humor and action are also great)

I had fun with season-1 of Sonic-Boom TV.  It all could had been much better… but was still fun altogether.

As for few o my opinions on the season-1 last episode…

I like the portrayal of Shadow in Boom myself. It’s fun seeing him be a crazy edgy jerk… I agree it would be extremely nice to see back-story on this version of him so that things don’t feel so random… but the same could be said about any semi-important character on this show.

Gotta say it amused me seeing Sonic get his bum handed to him when Shadow tossed him into the ground which left a crater… heh good stuff.

Dr.Eggman’s fanboying was great. And shows yet again how different Boom-Robotnik is from his game counterpart.

And Team-Hero wasn’t doing anything remotely interesting this story… in fact their side story really was just unneeded filler in my opinion. Would had been better if it was just skipped and for the focus to remain on the villains until they attacked the town. The heroes don’t need to be shown across the whole episode.

I... uh... don't have a top ten episodes for the first season of Sonic Boom. There were too many episodes that I liked equally. Although, a top ten moments I probably could do at some point.

Also 4 locations Orbot said? I think there were more...

• Beach/Sonic and Tails' home
  • Amy's home
  • Sticks' home
  • Tails' Workshop
  • Town
  • Eggman's Lair
  • That open sandy desert like place they visit almost every time

He means The Beach, The Forest, The Village, And the Canyon.

"If moping in the corner while everyone has fun is cool, then I must've been the coolest guy at my junior prom." Ha.

My only regret about this episode is that there weren't a few more direct shots at Shadow like that one, but eh, the episode was still fun and Eggman stole the show as usual with his hammy antics. Here's hoping there's a second season!

• Thumbs Up 4

Pretty much what Kuzu said, I have nothing against the show being focused on comedy but while the writing is competent, it does nothing that other shows with this structure, tone and style of humor aren't doing, and I can think of plenty of those that do them much better than Boom.

There are a few similarities between Boom and one of my favorite recent shows Yo-Kai Watch, both focus on character driven comedy, each storyline is like 11 minutes in length and they both have a slice of life structure. The main difference is that Yo-Kai is always mixing things up with different kinds of humor, like dark humor and even 90s style sexual innuendo, and even more serious and heartfelt storylines that flesh out the characters and the world. But even when it's just pure comedy Yo-Kai Watch's writing is just much more inspired and witty as this example shows (For context this particular Yo-Kai is the cause of people spoiling important plot points to others):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k2QAr65b19neicdS7Tl

She spoils her own first appearance. That's so genius xD

If the show were just comedy it would still be great since the show is full of ingenious writing that has plenty of variety instead of Boom's formula of "Some kind of event(Mostly Eggman) is happening, hijincks ensue" that is repeated ad nauseum.

You know what would make Boom's finale much better? If there was buildup to it and explanation of who Shadow is like Zaysho said. Context can be great in making something funny. This particular action sub plot of Yo-Kai I think illustrates what I mean:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6XFjMnnXdDODXdS9TZ

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Boom, but it's hard to see such wasted potential without pointing it out.

Unless Season 2 shakes things up, I'm pretty much done with Boom. There are shows doing what it does better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unless Season 2 shakes things up, I'm pretty much done with Boom. There are shows doing what it does better.

Im sorry, I understand the sentiment, I just cannot for the life of me relate to it..

So what if other shows do it better? If it's still relatively well made in it's own right who cares? You dont have to be the best at what you do to be enjoyable. This applies to games as well or any form of media to be honest.

Im not a huge Boom fan. I dont follow it on a weekly basis, I just watch it whenever I need something fun and casual that kills time and it serves that need well. There's funny jokes and enough good moments that justify it's existence for me. I look forward to Season 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just finished watching the finale. I have to say, it was pretty fun, and I'm kind of relieved. Anything could have happened with Shadow and it could have easily gone wrong, but it was fun and lighthearted instead of being either too serious or "offensive" to fans. Even when there's valid criticism to throw at it, the episode was so over the top that I find it easy to forgive.

• Thumbs Up 1

Im sorry, I understand the sentiment, I just cannot for the life of me relate to it..

So what if other shows do it better? If it's still relatively well made in it's own right who cares? You dont have to be the best at what you do to be enjoyable. This applies to games as well or any form of media to be honest.

Im not a huge Boom fan. I dont follow it on a weekly basis, I just watch it whenever I need something fun and casual that kills time and it serves that need well. There's funny jokes and enough good moments that justify it's existence for me. I look forward to Season 2.

There's only so much time in your life you can fit in watching tv shows versus playing video games or watching films or doing art or whatever else all in between school and work and socializing and whatnot. Why in the world would you watch something you don't enjoy, or rather something you know is worse than something else you could be watching?

I don't blame anyone for dropping Boom and looking at other alternatives like Yo-Kai Watch which in itself is an amazeballs show that gives no fucks. I dropped Boom hard myself because the visual storytelling is pretty balls and brings down a level of comedy that was already so-so. It's not bad, but there's barely any teeth or punch to the humor, no "holy shit" moments, no interesting comedy turns or set-ups, not even basic timing. It relies mainly on verbal sarcasm and exaggeration which gets pretty old after awhile. On top of that, the battles are animated pretty badly- lots of one-twos mixed in with standing around waiting for someone to move. The best one was probably the first one with Burnbot since all participants were in constant motion (and indeed that level of animation is something we barely got again).

It's not terrible, but it could have been so much better. I came back to watch the last episode to see what Shadow was even doing there, and while I enjoyed the use of his stoicism in a comedic fashion, they couldn't even justify his existence beyond fan service and convinced everyone that was somehow good writing because they acknowledged it in universe. It manages to be worse than the Teen Titans Go! School of self-deprecation simply because there was no larger point they were making about it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yes, the show isn't perfect, but I like it for what it is. Besides, this was just season one; with luck, it'll really start to find its footing as time goes on.

Here's to hoping season two is better and satisfies those of you who want something more.

Like I said, I understand the mindset of "why am I watching this when something better is currently existing" it's just not a creed I follow. It doesn't have to be a paragon of quality for me to have a good time with it and that's pretty much how I feel about Boom. I'm not gonna argue the quality of its comedy since for one it's super subjective and it's also a subject I'm not passionate enough to really debate intensely 

• Thumbs Up 1

I swear Kirk Thornton's Shadow voice is actively getting worse with every appearance

That's probably because he barely voices Shadow in anything at the moment. Kirk only had this episode and like around 10 lines in Rise of Lyric throughout the past 3 or so years. Even in Generations 4 years ago, he barely said anything.

As you stand back, you realize Shadow had no significance in anything from TV to video games since Sonic '06.

52 segments/26 episodes in is not the time to start finding your footing in a media world that's as hyper-competitive as this one where people can access shows from anywhere that get their footing downpat on the pilot. Heck, I could go back and watch Angry Beavers instead. I crack up from just the sudden differences in speed that could occur alone. 

In general, I would almost say Boom needs a complete overhaul of writers in order for me to start taking an interest in it again. It either needs to make use of an interesting running plotline, or it needs to learn fast how to set up visual comedy and do more than be sarcastic. And this isn't all that subjective. The Looney Tunes are still funny as shit to this day for a bunch of actually-quantifiable reasons: proper timing down to the frame, relying more on implication for verbal humor versus direct statements, faster pacing, variance in pacing, etc.. There's a lot they could do to polish their work up. Hell, I'm pretty sure I wrote up a bunch of cuts they could make from the Groundhog Day episode alone.

• Thumbs Up 5

Any suggestions then?

I'd go with some from Steven Universe. They know how to keep it going and stay true to the little Japanese influences this show have. Then a few from Ninjago and Ben10. If they want to stay even the least bit true to their marketing, they should go with some pure action writers once in a while. May be less funny, but the physics would be tested to the max.   

Any suggestions then?

I'd go with some from Steven Universe. They know how to keep it going and stay true to the little Japanese influences this show have. Then a few from Ninjago and Ben10. If they want to stay even the least bit true to their marketing, they should go with some pure action writers once in a while. May be less funny, but the physics would be tested to the max.   

Boom's a comedy show, so from a comedy standpoint I would go with the people who write Gumball, both because it's consistently hilarious but also because the creator and some of the staff are French so there would probably be some easy collaboration to be had with the studio that helps produce Boom.

• Thumbs Up 2

Meh, I don't Sonic Boom needs a complete overhaul of writers or has to be like steven universe to be more interesting.( There are cartoons in the same gerne of Sonic Boom that are great T.V shows) 

I do have to agree on thing, there's alot that needs to be improve on Sonic Boom. I think using more visual gags might help. Plus,  the most of the plots feel a bit unfinished. Like as if it doesn't fit within an 11 minute cartoon.

Am I the only one who thought the episodes took a nosedive when Metal Sonic's debut episode released? Between the gap between that episode and the final episode, Episode 52 is the only episode I fully enjoyed from it.

If there's something better out there, and I enjoy it more than an inferior product. There's really no reason why I shouldn't care now is there :V

I swear Kirk Thornton's Shadow voice is actively getting worse with every appearance

I have to agree along with what Ming Ming said, even though Kirk has been Shadow's official voice for several years, I could just about guarantee he's still getting used to the role. Besides Free Riders, we've barely heard him speak since his voice was changed. Actually, this episode was probably the most we've heard Kirk-Shadow speak in a long time! I'm still getting used to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to agree along with what Ming Ming said, even though Kirk has been Shadow's official voice for several years, I could just about guarantee he's still getting used to the role. Besides Free Riders, we've barely heard him speak since his voice was changed. Actually, this episode was probably the most we've heard Kirk-Shadow speak in a long time! I'm still getting used to it.

Wow I forgot Free Riders exists. Okay that was Shadow's last significant role. But that was 5 years ago. It's hard to fit Shadow in today's Sonic now since they have gone away from telling dark tone stories. Boom isn't dark in any way and they somehow have the comedy going with Shadow (hence why Eggman was there in season finale).

When Shadow returns to settle Sonic, no doubt there will be some character providing the unnecessary comedy lines or actions. Hope it's not Eggman, because it'll be predictable on what's going to happen.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I actually found the whole Eggman fanboy obsession with Shadow to be a little annoying towards the end, only because the joke dragged on for so long and I was more than ready to see Shadow get a pretty big piece of the spotlight. I feel like Eggman going nuts over Shadow (like we all secretly were deep down) kind of held him back from getting more screen time and speaking parts, but I guess that's a dead giveaway. I hope next time we see Shadow in Boom, there's a lot more to be said! c:

• Thumbs Up 1

I had an idea for an episode starring Shadow. What if Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy have a contest to see who can make Shadow smile? Hijinks ensue. In the end, Shadow smiles at everyone's failure.

• Thumbs Up 8

I had an idea for an episode starring Shadow. What if Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy have a contest to see who can make Shadow smile? Hijinks ensue. In the end, Shadow smiles at everyone's failure.

If I'm totally honest, that's a much better idea than what the finale was.

• Thumbs Up 2