Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

Man, they really are changing the episodes names:

Double Doomsday is now Double trouble

Eggheads is Multiple eggmans

Buster is The buddy

Apparently, Cartoon Network is no longer airing Sonic Boom but Boomerang is. Bill Freibergur said this will be the case for the time being. 

Edited by Operationgamer17

Apparently, Cartoon Network is no longer airing Sonic Boom but Boomerang is. Bill Freibergur said this will be the case for the time being. 

*groan*

Such a wonderfully hilarious show as this shouldn't be treated this way. I'm aware that Boom is nothing special, but it's important to me as a Sonic fan who's open to trying new things.

• Thumbs Up 1

*groan*

Such a wonderfully hilarious show as this shouldn't be treated this way. I'm aware that Boom is nothing special, but it's important to me as a Sonic fan who's open to trying new things.

The show is only alright and I don't think its being poorly at all

What in the world caused this?

What in the world caused this?

Most likely, it's the channel's current primary focus on Teen Titans Go. I don't recall seeing any reruns of shows like Steven Universe, either.

• Thumbs Up 3

Heard of this before, but yeah, that's pretty annoying the show's being treated like this, hopefully CN will air it when Season 2 comes.

Most likely, it's the channel's current primary focus on Teen Titans Go. I don't recall seeing any reruns of shows like Steven Universe, either.

Off topic, but they banned reruns after Alone Together aired.

Could have been worse. Look what they did to Wabbit. Tossed the remaining new episodes to Boomerang midway through the season.

So does this mean the upcoming season was relegated over to Boomerang?

Not sure what to think, if that's the case, but somehow I'm not surprised CN's treating the show that way. Honestly, I'm a little surprised SEGA didn't end up moving the show over to Netflix or some kind of digital service after its first season, like what Dreamworks did with their How to Train Your Dragon TV series.

EDIT: I misread this, I'm assuming you're just talking about re-runs, right? In which case, while I suppose that kinda sucks, I can't say it's a big loss. If CN ends up ditching the show and moving it to a network not everyone has access to, then that's another story.

Edited by Zaysho

I've never seen a show that's more Adored By The Network as TV Tropes would put it, than Teen Titans Go. A shame considering how terrible it is. Say what you want about Spongebob, but at least that has three to four good seasons, and 2 great animated films to it's name. TTG doesn't have that.

Well, the brand of Teen Titans itself has a legacy, but TTG will never live up to the previous cartoon adaption or the comics. But because of this legacy, CN presumes that TTG is good and many people will watch it. Yes, people do watch it, but not the fans of the brand and neither people older than ten. So in a way, TTG is a success (*vomits* I didn't want to say that), but will never live up to it's predecessors. CN, however, thinks it does. At times, they think it's better.

Well, the brand of Teen Titans itself has a legacy, but TTG will never live up to the previous cartoon adaption or the comics. But because of this legacy, CN presumes that TTG is good and many people will watch it. Yes, people do watch it, but not the fans of the brand and neither people older than ten. So in a way, TTG is a success (*vomits* I didn't want to say that), but will never live up to it's predecessors. CN, however, thinks it does. At times, they think it's better.

You'd think they would air the original show sometime, but then that would require having a quality action show on a consistent basis, and we can't have that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

You'd think they would air the original show sometime, but then that would require having a quality action show on a consistent basis, and we can't have that. 

Yep. That would be a sin.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know I'm very late to the discussion but can someone tell me what the f*** happened to Kirk with Shadow's voice. that was HORRIBLE!

It was so grating that I couldn't watch the episode. What was that noise coming out of Shadow's mouth.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know I'm very late to the discussion but can someone tell me what the f*** happened to Kirk with Shadow's voice. that was HORRIBLE!

It was so grating that I couldn't watch the episode. What was that noise coming out of Shadow's mouth.

I remember when I was watching it I was like 'OK, what the hell is going on here? I thought he would sound better, but he sounds freakin' worse!' And then I said something along the lines of preferring the French version xD

I was cringing, but I could stand with it throughout the whole episode. I've heard worse.

I remember when I was watching it I was like 'OK, what the hell is going on here? I thought he would sound better, but he sounds freakin' worse!' And then I said something along the lines of preferring the French version xD

I was cringing, but I could stand with it throughout the whole episode. I've heard worse.

I was going off of the few lines that Shadow had in Shattered Crystal which to me sounded very well. And I went in expecting either the same thing or more improvement but I left with a headache.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I do agree that I some lines Thornton said in the episode were delivered pretty awkwardly, I can't say that it gave me a "headache". It was just awkward, though I do get why Kirk chose to voice Shadow as such, Shadow in the episode was portrayed as a "no nonsense, destroy those inferior to you" kind of guy anyway, a more dickish Vegeta, I guess?

Though I also agree that Shattered Crystal had the best performance of Kirk voicing Shadow! Can we have that direction and personality please?

• Thumbs Up 6

Though I also agree that Shattered Crystal had the best performance of Kirk voicing Shadow! Can we have that direction and personality please?

Oh my god! Yes please! I love it so much!

• Thumbs Up 1

I find it ironic that Cartoon Network favors Teen Titans Go over Sonic Boom, when both shows have the exact same premise: A beloved group of superheroes are rebooted into a light-hearted action-adventure comedy. The difference is that Boom does it well. 

But CN doesn't care. TTG has seniority and sells more toys, and apparently that's all that matters.

I would think given Sonic's strong branding and Boom being developed with a toyline in mind from the beginning, as well as the fact that it meshes with the tone they seem to want from the majority of their programming, CN would be really supportive of it.

But I suppose another factor might be ratings, but that happens when you stick a show on early in the morning with no advertising while the rest of programming throughout the week is dedicated blocks of shows like TTG. I know there's a lot of factors to this sort of thing, but I think a little advertising not aimed exclusively at Sonic fans (we're going to watch anyway, let's be real) and some extra reruns in later time slots would actually help if that really is an issue. The only time I remember CN doing this was when they debuted new episodes daily that one week of June.

While I do agree that I some lines Thornton said in the episode were delivered pretty awkwardly, I can't say that it gave me a "headache". It was just awkward, though I do get why Kirk chose to voice Shadow as such, Shadow in the episode was portrayed as a "no nonsense, destroy those inferior to you" kind of guy anyway, a more dickish Vegeta, I guess?

Or the director told him to voice him like that based on the one-note writing that was already in the script.

I personally don't think Thornton sounded bad in the episode, but he's kind of stuck in one level for the entirety of it, so he just sounds perpetually irritated. I really don't think it's reflective of his ability as an actor at all. I think there'd be a world of difference if the script was better, Shadow's characterization in Boom wasn't just "angry guy that gets his kicks beating up Sonic," and the director could get that out of him.

I mean, look at Griffith's performance as Sonic in '06 and Secret Rings-- game that were likely recorded in roughly the same time period. In '06 he's kind of boring to listen to and lacks any real personality, but in Secret Rings his performance is more varied and energetic, and I think part of that is owed to how they chose to portray Sonic between those two games. I think better writing and direction (though keeping in line with the show's tone, of course) would help his performance quite a bit.

Edited by Zaysho

I ended up rewatching the Metal Sonic fight earlier today while browsing Youtube and it reminded me how underwhelming I thought it was. Sonic had more trouble with Eggman's generic big robots than he did with Metal Sonic.

The Shadow fight gave us a scene where Sonic was genuinely challenged by Shadow. It was only due to Eggman's mistake that prevented Shadow from winning. I'm really looking forward to more Shadow episodes if there's any coming in season 2 because Shadow is a great balance for the evil side - they've built him up to be more of an actual threat to Sonic, which works in his case because he's a rare character who doesn't show up nearly as often as Eggman does. Boom wouldn't be nearly as funny if Eggman didn't supply the jokes he does. I don't see why they couldn't do the same for Metal Sonic, but oh well.

I'm looking forward to Season 2.

I ended up rewatching the Metal Sonic fight earlier today while browsing Youtube and it reminded me how underwhelming I thought it was. Sonic had more trouble with Eggman's generic big robots than he did with Metal Sonic.

The Shadow fight gave us a scene where Sonic was genuinely challenged by Shadow. It was only due to Eggman's mistake that prevented Shadow from winning. I'm really looking forward to more Shadow episodes if there's any coming in season 2 because Shadow is a great balance for the evil side - they've built him up to be more of an actual threat to Sonic, which works in his case because he's a rare character who doesn't show up nearly as often as Eggman does. Boom wouldn't be nearly as funny if Eggman didn't supply the jokes he does. I don't see why they couldn't do the same for Metal Sonic, but oh well.

I'm looking forward to Season 2.

One of the writers strait up said shadow isn't evil. So, I think he'll be occasionally punching eggman in the face, though I don't think eggman will be washing his face after that

I find it ironic that Cartoon Network favors Teen Titans Go over Sonic Boom, when both shows have the exact same premise: A beloved group of superheroes are rebooted into a light-hearted action-adventure comedy. The difference is that Boom does it well. 

But CN doesn't care. TTG has seniority and sells more toys, and apparently that's all that matters.

Sonic boom wishes it could be ttg. Sonic boom is nothinh compared to that. If you wanna know why that is I can explain. But the quality gap is large.

Edited by Shadowlax

Sonic boom wishes it could be ttg. Sonic boom is nothinh compared to that. If you wanna know why that is I can explain. But the quality gap is large.

Fine.

By all means, explain, because that's a pretty bold statement that you're really gonna have to try to convince us of.

• Thumbs Up 3

You missed another big difference. One is produced in Warner Bros. Animation Studios (which is owned by Time Warner, who also owns Cartoon Network) while the other is not. Cartoon Network/Time Warner will always favor its own created shows.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly,  outside of network favoritism from CN,  and the few episodes of it that are good, TEEN Titans Go! is the last thing Sonic Boom wants or even needs to be like. 

Sonic Boom does a better job of balancing action with comedy, avoiding over-saturation of comedy,  oh and it also remembers to at least keep characterizations within the show consistent and keep the main cast overall likeable which is more than can be said for TTG.

• Thumbs Up 5