Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

4 hours ago, AdventChild said:

Speaking of forms and other series, I think it would be interesting to have Werehog to show up one time in An American Werewolf in London parody or where Sonic gets bitten by some were-creature. I can even see a storybook series reference where one or more gets sucked into a certain tale, like Sonic or Amy in Wonderland or something similar.

Those are some seriously fun ideas. Creative stuff like that might make me a bit more interested in the show. It's extremely unlikely that the Werehog would appear, but I think the idea is great.

8 hours ago, Jason the Jackass said:

His scarf glowing is stupid, but I do like that the "chaos Emeralds" have their own unique shape. It helps give them an identity.

Yeah, it's a really neat twist. Kinda reminds me of of when AoStH did the same thing, but it's cooler here ;)

One thing I'd appreciate is consistent minor visual changes. Like, say Tails' tool belt gets torn and he gets a new, slightly different one, but that stays across future episodes. It sounds minor and stupid, I know, but small stuff like that connecting episodes does a lot more than you'd think.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Jason the Jackass said:

His scarf glowing is stupid,

It's a part of him. I actually like it. But I do admit it's a little stupid.

But, I highly doubt there'll ever be a Super form to be honest.

I know it's unlikely, but I really want Silver and Blaze to make it into the show. Tbh I really don't see other game characters getting in, but it'd be so cool to see Silver and Blaze being the protectors of a neighboring village. It fits since Blaze is supposed to be the Sol version of Sonic and Silver is supposed to be his third rival.

An episode could be a sort of hero competition, where heroes from far and wide compete to see who is the biggest hero of them all. Silver and Blaze could join as well as the core four (and probably Perci, that random ass Tiger and Soar) and they have to do stupid shit like save animals off of the tree, save Lady Walrus' baby and maybe even arrest people who are littering? XD

To make this an Eggman episode, maybe Eggman is hosting the competition secretly and he plans to use a mind control ray on the winner to defeat Sonic, as he's convinced that Sonic won't win because the competition is too hard or something.

Either way, I'd just love to see Silver and Blaze come back. That'd be so badass and it'd really do wonders for those two characters as their personalities will shine. Especially Silver since a lot of people don't like him.

As a Blaze fan I obviously would love to see her make it into the show as a reoccurring character. It would give her that extra bit of attention I feel she really needs. Anything that helps viewers remember her less from Sonic-06 and relate to her from better popular Sonic media can only be a good thing. She is the only other game character I really care to see get in now.

If she got in I think they should maybe drop the princess title with her for Boom. Better yet, have a episode that references it as a joke where other characters for some reason mistakenly assume she is a princess, then everybody starts treating her like royalty and she freaks out and doesn’t know what’s going on until the end of the episode. On the other hand, keeping her as a princess be fine with me too if they could write it in a interesting fun way.

It's a nice idea, though I heard the creative team were mandated by SEGA to just their current cast. Maybe they'll give leeway if the show continues and garners popularity however.

I could say there is a good capacity to introduce new characters. After all we haven't really ventured much outside Sonic's little hometown. Bringing more in could also provide a good way to have world building in the series.

Blaze probably has uniqueness as a shy character, none of the heroes right now fit into that role (Tails is a bit awkward but he's more naive and dorky). Her powers are unique for action scenes, and her personality archetype is ideal for humour, having an insecure ego. Silver probably could get a lot of shtick out of time travelling, which is ripe for humorous situations, especially since he's implied to be a bit of a bumbler about it. Rouge could maybe work, but she'd probably have to get streamlined to the 'femme fatale catburgler' aspect since there is no military (unless she works for the bungling police force). E-123 Omega, would likely be more difficult to find a unique place for (there's already plenty of disobedient robot humour), though if they intended any sort of character development for Shadow, he could be ideal. Big meanwhile is pretty much redundant with Knuckles around.

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:12 PM, Spееdy said:

Sonic Boom can't be serious enough to have a super form. It just can't.
Also there are no reasons of it to be there at all....

Cool render though. ;)

Are magic Gemstones turning a Hedgehog Gold so he can hit things harder super serious now?

Episode idea I would like to see in season two:

34hxn9h.jpg

This is Salty the Hippo. He was a pirate-like seagoer in Rise of Lyric, and a bouncer in the cartoon. I think there ought to be an episode where he decides he misses sailing the open sea and wants to get back to his roots. However, he needs a first mate. Knuckles, who is growing a bit bored with being on the same old island every day, volunteers, and so the rest of the episode has them encountering boat leaks, terrible storms, sea monsters, and Salty's vengeful younger brother, Pepper! I think it would be a fun, funny and epic episode, or even better, a two-parter!

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm pretty excited to see what season 2 will have in store. New places, new adventures, new stories and the like with our heroes and villains. Maybe some new characters down the line and even expanding upon some of the old characters that had been established in season 1 that haven't had that chance yet. I might be expecting too much but oh man, the possibilities.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Are magic Gemstones turning a Hedgehog Gold so he can hit things harder super serious now?

Why would he have Gold color just to hit things, when he is already doing this by himself (and the rest cast)? Especially when these battles last 5 seconds and the rest are jokes about Eggman and his robot.

If there is a possibility to have Super Sonic in Boom episodes, it will be some pun joke about his color and that's it.

23 minutes ago, Spееdy said:

Why would he have Gold color just to hit things, when he is already doing this by himself (and the rest cast)? Especially when these battles last 5 seconds and the rest are jokes about Eggman and his robot.

If there is a possibility to have Super Sonic in Boom episodes, it will be some pun joke about his color and that's it.

There is more the writers can do with Super Sonic besides just use him for battle or for fur color jokes. All it takes is some creativity.

Speedy does have a point, in that most of the threats the Boom cast deal with on a regular basis are relatively mild and thus don't require Super Sonic (at least I think so, I stopped watching so long ago that I guess I'm not really remotely knowledgeable on the subject), but I'm pretty sure there are and can be exceptions, and like Enesephus said, there are plenty of things that could be done with a little creativity.

Alrighty, review time!

Sonic Boom Episode Five Review: My Fair Sticksy

This episode is an odd one, in that it somehow manages to be both fairly interesting and... kind of dull, honestly. There are some funny moments in this episode (the "Knuckles reading glasses" gag is pretty good, as is Comedy Chimp randomly showing up at Tails' place), but nothing laugh out loud funny. With this show, I generally expect at least one really funny moment to come out of the whole thing to make the whole episode (even more) worth it, but I don't feel I got that here. I smiled and chuckled a few times, but there wasn't anything to really make me laugh.

The plot isn't particularly interesting. It's just a typical "character tries to change for whatever reason" episode, and, of course, said character manages to save the day just by being him/herself. We've all seen this plot before, and, while Sonic Boom does have a tendency to use cliche plots we've seen over and over, the show normally manages to make them interesting with its unique brand of humor and use of Sonic characters. With this episode, though, I don't feel the writers really put any kind of fun spin (heh) on the plot to make it unique. As a result, I see this as one of the more forgettable episodes.

Also, I think the climax is really awkward and forced. It's like all the other characters in the area went out of their way to be incompetent so Sticks could win the day by "being herself" (and Knuckles' new rich friends could come back to help him out), even Eggman, which really makes no sense. The climax could have worked better if Eggman were really dangerous here, but he becomes just as much of an idiot here as the other characters.

However, there is one thing I really like about this episode, and that is Sticks' character. If you know Sticks from later episodes, you know she generally doesn't really care if people think she's weird or crazy. In this episode, though, she's self conscious about having grown up in the wild, resulting in her developing certain habits and acting in ways other characters do not, and she doesn't want to risk embarrassing herself in front of really fancy, civilized people at a party. I think this makes her character really interesting here, and you really feel for Sticks and want things to work out for her. However, I feel as though this episode may have been more effective if it aired a bit later in the series, after we'd gotten to know Sticks better, and seen more of how she normally acts.

On a more minor note, I like how Knuckles (in this episode, at least) is unable to read a letter, but can play the piano wonderfully. To contrast, Tails, who is really smart in the field of science and technology, cannot play the drums to save his life. This is a really nice moment, helped by the fact that no attention is drawn to this by the characters.

Overall, this episode doesn't really have anything wrong with it; it does have some decent jokes, and Sticks is pretty great here, so I'll give this one a 6/10.

Fun fact: the Mayor serves goat cheese with red *something* spread. Now, I don't have a problem with the characters eating meat or cheese or anything like that just because they're anthropomorphic animals, since I can buy that it's okay for them to eat animals that aren't as... evolved as they are. However, we have an anthropomorphic goat character in the cast (two, actually), Lady Goat (and Belinda).

Rather+shabbily+done+but+here+ya+go+_e7a

16 hours ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Fun fact: the Mayor serves goat cheese with red *something* spread. Now, I don't have a problem with the characters eating meat or cheese or anything like that just because they're anthropomorphic animals, since I can buy that it's okay for them to eat animals that aren't as... evolved as they are. However, we have an anthropomorphic goat character in the cast (two, actually), Lady Goat (and Belinda).

Rather+shabbily+done+but+here+ya+go+_e7a

Goat cheese would be made from the milk of goats so it's not like they're killing them or anything.

Just now, Jason the Jackass said:

Goat cheese would be made from the milk of goats so it's not like they're killing them or anything.

I think the method of getting the milk is the entire point.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Jason the Jackass said:

Sonic Wind got it right. That would be like going to the grocery store to pick up human breast milk to go in your cereal or something. Kinda creepy.

My Fair Sticksy had a nice implementation of not shoehorning people according to stereotype, as shown in the sub plot with Knuckles and the two aristocrats, who are getting on amicably in contrast to the main dilemma. A shame not many other episodes played on this. Rich people genuinely are generic snobs and Knuckles is usually an incompetent dumbass. I mean it's funny as hell sometimes but still.

I also thought the Comedy Chimp gag felt misplaced. This was his first appearance, and his only prominent one for a long while. I was left wondering who the hell he was.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, I actually got more than one Sonic Boom review done in a 24 hour period! I wonder if I could keep this going? ......Naaaaah. Anyway,

Sonic Boom Episode Six Review: Fortress of Squalitude

I'm just going to say, right now, I really don't like this episode. It's not Buster levels of bad, but this is one of those episodes I said came relatively close. This episode's biggest crime? It's just not funny. There are a few moments I chuckled, and the gag towards the end with Cubot randomly disassembled is really funny for some reason, but I wasn't even smiling through most of this thing, just bored. The plot, which is about Eggman bringing in Amy to help redecorate his lair, could have possibly been funny or interesting if the episode actually focused on Amy redecorating Eggman's lair, with the two agreeing, disagreeing and working together the whole time. Instead, we get a montage of Eggman cleaning up his lair, the Photographer's Assistant slamming it, Eggman recruiting Amy (who is feeling unappreciated by her friends), a montage of Amy redecorating Eggman's lair (yeah, I think it's a bit weird that this episode has two montage sequences), the assistant loving it, Amy's friends realizing they miss her and going to the lair to save her, battle, end. There's really no focus in this episode, it just kind of jumps from one plot point to the next, and it doesn't even bother to be funny.

The animation's also really noticeably sloppy here, probably more so than any other episode. We get a shrunken Eggman moustache, Tails and Knuckles having black eyes in one scene, Sonic being covered in sewage but suddenly being clean in the next shot, and an off model Amy. Yeah, for the entire climax and ending of the episode, something is really off about Amy's face. I'm not sure what it is, but she looks freakin' disgusting:

Screenshot%2062_zpsenmbspbm.png

So, yeah, this is a forgettable episode with some pretty sloppy animation, and, for that reason, I'm going to give this one a 5/10.

I remember liking it for being another episode that shows Eggman's manipulative side, one of the first he hoists in on one of the characters' vices (Translate This also did it, but more indirectly). If there was one problem in that however, it was that Amy didn't learn anything from that error, it was only the others who repented their mistake rather than Amy also realising how stubborn and gullible she had been. I also found it odd how Sticks' eccentricities stifling the presentation didn't bug Amy, only the boys. Broken glass on the ground seems as disruptive as inelegant background music.

I did think the photo assistant was pretty funny ("would you PLEASE rotate that bunsen burner 90 degrees before I get sick!"), shame he didn't keep the German accent in later episodes. The Cubot pegs in holes scene also made me titter.

1 minute ago, E-122-Psi said:

I did think the photo assistant was pretty funny ("would you PLEASE rotate that bunsen burner 90 degrees before I get sick!"), shame he didn't keep the German accent in later episodes.

Oh comrade, you must have mistaken him for some other character. 

I personally didn't found Fortress of Squalitude as a bad episode, it's just ok. Knuckles still makes me laugh and as Psi said, it shows ol' Eggy's manipulative side. But outside of that, nothing too outstanding. I'd say the first 26 episodes ranger from pretty good (Sidekick and The Meteor) to pretty mediocre (Buster). It really is when Episode 27 onwards is when the show really shines in its writing!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

I'm pretty sure he was the bad guy in Battle of the Boy Bands, unless that was his immigrated twin. XD

Now you see, the Producer was wearing Crimson colored clothing. The Assistant isn't, totally different character m8!

7 minutes ago, True Detective Soni said:

Oh comrade, you must have mistaken him for some other character. 

I personally didn't found Fortress of Squalitude as a bad episode, it's just ok. Knuckles still makes me laugh and as Psi said, it shows ol' Eggy's manipulative side. But outside of that, nothing too outstanding. I'd say the first 26 episodes ranger from pretty good (Sidekick and The Meteor) to pretty mediocre (Buster). It really is when Episode 27 onwards is when the show really shines in its writing!

I actually feel things began picking up as early as episode 17. 

Anyway, regarding this episode, I just don't think there's much to redeem it. It's not really bad, per se(I gave it a 5/10, which just means "meh"), and Knuckles is decently amusing, but with much better episodes out of 52 total, there's really no reason to go back to this one. 

For the record, I probably would have given this episode a 6/10 (okay) if it weren't for the distractingly sloppy animation.

Actually, here's how I rate these episodes, in case you're wondering:

10/10-Perfect/Nearly Perfect

9/10-Great

8/10-Really Good (a great episode with some small flaws)

7/10-Good (an enjoyable episode with some bigger flaws)

6/10-Okay (a fairly enjoyable experience, but nothing special)

5/10-Meh (a severely flawed episode, but not quite bad)

4/10-Bad

3/10-Awful

2/10-Terrible

1/10-No redeeming qualities whatsoever

Thankfully, with this show, I don't think I'll ever need anything lower than a 4/10.

On 2/22/2016 at 4:59 AM, E-122-Psi said:

The voice actors will likely remain the same unless the games cast change.

I dunno if the show has any rights to use any more SEGA characters (I heard they kept a leash on what/who they could use). I would like to see better use of the original characters though. Zooey being more than a satellite love interest could be fun.

It seems that the only ones that get too much focus are those that are based on the writers and voice actors, for some reason. I would personally like to see less of those characters, due to their ugly designs. However, all of the Boom characters seem to be flat outside the main cast.  I would like to see it change somewhat. The characters from this series are mostly ignored outside of Boom's fandom, and the ones that are liked are due to their designs, like Zooey above. She does need to be more than a satellite character. The authors also need to know what a throw-away character is. Namely, that they should be THROWN AWAY. I suppose they could rather be seen in crowds, like sometimes on SpongeBob you could see older characters in the background, which has been brought back, but they have never done this with any season 5 and onwards character except Jack M. Crazyfish. Yeah, Boom needs stronger characters.

I have some other ideas for episode ideas I'd love to see.

Spoiler

Tiny Tails - Knuckles accidentally shrinks Tails with one of Tails' devices, and runs off looking for Tails. Meanwhile, Tails has to find a way to build a device that can revert his size. In order to do that, he needs to get one of his friend's attention to help use his shrink ray to shrink his tools and equipment down to his shrunken size.

Wild Best - An episode that pays homage to western tropes, as a rough gang of vicious bulls ride into the village and start taking over the place. Sonic decides to give into the western tradition of a showdown.

Wizard of Odds - Amy has a crazy dream that spoofs off of the Wizard of Oz. Amy is Dorothy, Knuckles is the Scarecrow, Tails is the Tin man, Sticks is the Cowardly Lion, Eggman is the Wicked Witch Of the West, and Sonic is the Wizard. 

Fan Up - Tails drags the gang into a fan convention for various electronics and entertainment. 

Paranoid Activity - After Sticks' conspiracy theories gets way out of hand, Sticks decides she's going to live a more carefree life. However, her friends realize that Sticks' paranoia was actually useful, and kept them on their toes, when actual danger was coming, and they decide they need to try and get Sticks to be more like her old self.

Alien Ally - Sticks manages to capture an alien, but after some interrogation, Sticks learns that the alien is not a threat, and is just a poor helpless, and lost alien kid who also gets easily paranoid. Sticks learns that the alien and her have a lot in common, and Sticks decides to help the alien reunite with his family. (Come on, an ironic episode like this would be perfect for Sticks, she finally captures an alien, and oddly enough becomes friends with it.)

Magic Show Off - T.W. Barker captures Sonic and his friends, and imprisons them to work at his magic show.

Platypushover - D.B. Platypus goes evil after losing his job, due to failing at making Sonic and his pals role models. D.B. decides to try and teach Eggman how to be a proper villain. Oddly enough, his teachings for villainy are counterproductive, and are making Eggman more of a joke than a villain, more than ever. 

Fall Like an Eagle - Soar the Eagle is desperate to find new material for his news reporting, and stoops to the level of setting up his own incidents, just so he can have a story to cover. 

Swift Fists - After a freak accident causes Knuckles to gain super speed, Knuckles starts feeling like he can finally beat Sonic at any challenge. Sonic actually feels outmatched. Tails tries to help Sonic out, by hosting a quiz show against Sonic and Knuckles, because brain beats brawn everytime.

Amy and Fire - Amy finds out she has a skilled talent for archery, and her friends encourage her to enter an archery contest.

A Job Too Dumb - Knuckles decides to get a job at Meh Burger.

Shadow Puppet - Eggman creates a device that can possess and turn Shadow into his minion. Things get very awkward when Eggman loses the remote controller, as for other people to randomly come across the remote, and mess with it. Meanwhile, Shadow is spazing out of control. Sonic decides to help Shadow figure out what's going on. 

Haunted Eggmansion - Eggman builds a haunted house attraction, and invites the villagers to check it out. Sonic and the gang suspect it's a trap and ignore it. After noticing the villagers have been gone for days, they decide to give in, and explore the mansion, in hopes of finding the others and saving them.

Wave Your Fears Goodbye - Sonic wishes he could enter a surf contest, but he can't, due to his fear of drowning. Amy tries helping Sonic learn how to swim. Tails helps Sonic out by giving him a new vitamin he invented that enables air for a certain number of hours. Sonic decides to enter the surf contest alongside his friends. 

A Sticksy Situation - After a long day of climbing on trees, Sticks gets her hands sticky with tree sap, and tries finding ways to get it off. 

Snow It All - Tails invents a machine that causes the clouds to create snow. While the gang starts having fun in the snow, Eggman steals the device, and alters it to create dangerous storms instead. 

Hiding beneath the Shadow - Sonic and the gang find out Shadow is a henchman to a villainous thief known as Rouge the Bat. (This version of Rouge portrays Rouge as an evil queen like character. One who lives in a tall dark tower, is in a throne surrounded by stolen jewels. Shadow is revealed to be her right hand man, and partner in crime. An episode like this would likely be suitable as a season finale.) 

• Thumbs Up 3