Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

2 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I have some other ideas for episode ideas I'd love to see.

*Insert long-ass list of ideas*

I actually do like some of these ideas. Some seem too thin to carry an episode, and one of them is pretty much something we've seen before, but I like a lot of them.

I have a few new ones of my own:

Eggwoman: Orbot and Cubot decide to set up a dating profile for Eggman without his knowledge to give him something to do besides just fight Sonic all the time. Eggman is initially upset, but he hits it off with an attractive human lady from off the island and the two arrange to meet at Meh Burger. The two get along, but when Eggman takes her to his lair to show it off, the woman steals Eggman's technology to pass off as her own for her own evil schemes elsewhere, and Sonic must help Eggman take his tech back (because Sonic Says: stealing is wrong! :P).

A Reversal of Roles: When Sonic calls Eggman a terrible villain after another crushing defeat, Eggman bets Sonic that he wouldn't be any better, and that Eggman would be able to win all the time too if he were on the side of good. Sonic agrees to take the bet, and so the two trade places, with Sonic taking over Eggman's lair and Eggman joining Sonic's friends for a week, only for Sonic to find out that being a bad guy is a lot tougher than he thought (and not just because Sonic's not cut out for villainy).

Out of Commission: When Sonic actually breaks his leg in battle, rendering him unable to run, Sonic must rest at home while Tails, being Sonic's sidekick, must take over as interim leader. Tails brings in Perci to be the temporary fifth team member, while Sonic desperately tries to get back into the action, and is constantly thwarted by Salty, whom Tails hires to keep Sonic out of the line of danger and resting at home.

The Hedgehog Behind the Scowl: Amy, while exploring and looking for artifacts, stumbles upon Shadow's home far from the Village. Curiosity gets the best of her and she decides to take a look at Shadow's home to learn more about "the hedgehog behind the scowl" (hence the title).

Finally, untitled episode wherein Knuckles accidentally joins a creepy cult. Sounds like a good plot for the character.

What do you think?

22 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

I actually do like some of these ideas. Some seem too thin to carry an episode, and one of them is pretty much something we've seen before, but I like a lot of them.

I have a few new ones of my own:

Eggwoman: Orbot and Cubot decide to set up a dating profile for Eggman without his knowledge to give him something to do besides just fight Sonic all the time. Eggman is initially upset, but he hits it off with an attractive human lady from off the island and the two arrange to meet at Meh Burger. The two get along, but when Eggman takes her to his lair to show it off, the woman steals Eggman's technology to pass off as her own for her own evil schemes elsewhere, and Sonic must help Eggman take his tech back (because Sonic Says: stealing is wrong! :P).

A Reversal of Roles: When Sonic calls Eggman a terrible villain after another crushing defeat, Eggman bets Sonic that he wouldn't be any better, and that Eggman would be able to win all the time too if he were on the side of good. Sonic agrees to take the bet, and so the two trade places, with Sonic taking over Eggman's lair and Eggman joining Sonic's friends for a week, only for Sonic to find out that being a bad guy is a lot tougher than he thought (and not just because Sonic's not cut out for villainy).

Out of Commission: When Sonic actually breaks his leg in battle, rendering him unable to run, Sonic must rest at home while Tails, being Sonic's sidekick, must take over as interim leader. Tails brings in Perci to be the temporary fifth team member, while Sonic desperately tries to get back into the action, and is constantly thwarted by Salty, whom Tails hires to keep Sonic out of the line of danger and resting at home.

The Hedgehog Behind the Scowl: Amy, while exploring and looking for artifacts, stumbles upon Shadow's home far from the Village. Curiosity gets the best of her and she decides to take a look at Shadow's home to learn more about "the hedgehog behind the scowl" (hence the title).

Finally, untitled episode wherein Knuckles accidentally joins a creepy cult. Sounds like a good plot for the character.

What do you think?

I like your concept for Eggmwoman, and Out of Commission, but Reversal of Roles sounds incredibly out of character. I don't see why Sonic would even want to be evil, even over a bet. We already had an episode where Sonic and Eggman made a bet with each other over fighting one on one from now on, and that was a fun concept, but to see Sonic tarnish his reputation by attacking civilians in Eggman's place sounds incredibly stupid for Sonic to do. 

The Hedgehog Behind the Scowl doesn't sound very interesting to be honest, it just sounds like a fan fiction of Amy falling in love with Shadow. Amy has feelings for Sonic, and I don't she why she would want to invade Shadow's house out of curiosity. 

Finally, the episode where Knuckles joins a cult sounds a little too unfitting for a family animated series. We already had an episode where Tails unintentionally joins a group of wannabe villains, so we kind of already have an episode like that. Maybe if it were more about Knuckles joining a gym that happens to be for villains, then maybe a plot like that would work. But a cult is just too dark for a show like Sonic Boom. 

Here's an episode idea

Duditude Plus 2 Girls - A group of 5 musicians appear in the village, and are seeking the band known as Duditude. After they find Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles (Duditude), they challenge them to a band battle by the end of the month. The rival band wants to see if they can beat Duditude in a popularity concert. After Sonic accepts, the rival band gives them a rules sheet, which states each band must have 5 members altogether, or they're disqualified. Amy and Sticks offer to join the band, but Knuckles seems objected to the idea, since that would require changing their band name. Sonic decides they better just add "Plus 2 Girls"  at the end of their band. The gang then try to find the best way to reconstruct their band. 

28 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I like your concept for Eggmwoman, and Out of Commission, but Reversal of Roles sounds incredibly out of character. I don't see why Sonic would even want to be evil, even over a bet. We already had an episode where Sonic and Eggman made a bet with each other over fighting one on one from now on, and that was a fun concept, but to see Sonic tarnish his reputation by attacking civilians in Eggman's place sounds incredibly stupid for Sonic to do. 

Well, the show frequently treats Sonic and Eggman's good vs evil rivalry like a job or a game anyway, so I figured it'd be fun to see the two switch roles. I'm picturing it being a sort of Wreck-It Ralph scenario, where they're playing roles, not like Sonic is actually trying to be evil. It strikes me as a plot that'd work in a really silly show like this.

The Hedgehog Behind the Scowl doesn't sound very interesting to be honest, it just sounds like a fan fiction of Amy falling in love with Shadow. Amy has feelings for Sonic, and I don't she why she would want to invade Shadow's house out of curiosity. 

That's... really not what I had in mind. For the record, the idea isn't really fleshed out, but I think a pretty interesting episode about exploring Shadow's character in Sonic Boom could come from it with some polish and creativity.

Finally, the episode where Knuckles joins a cult sounds a little too unfitting for a family animated series. We already had an episode where Tails unintentionally joins a group of wannabe villains, so we kind of already have an episode like that. Maybe if it were more about Knuckles joining a gym that happens to be for villains, then maybe a plot like that would work. But a cult is just too dark for a show like Sonic Boom. 

Too dark? I'm gonna have to disagree. Anyway, it is possible to make a dark concept silly, and I just think seeing Knuckles in a cult scenario would just be really funny. As for the episode about Tails going to the Lightning Bolts' clubhouse, the episode didn't really develop that all that much, and he didn't really join them. Tails is invited to potluck, Tails goes to potluck and finds out it's a club of villains, Sonic and Amy come in to save them, insert brief confrontation with Eggman, and they leave. So, I wouldn't say we've seen this plot yet.

For the record, I think Chip and Dale had a cult episode, and I'm pretty sure it and Sonic Boom are on the same level of family-friendliness.

4 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Regular amy ,... regular everyone does that. 

Don't know what it is about shadow, but his disinterest, does the oppositite for everyone else. Though to be fair, odds are when the do get to the shadow stuff, that will be marketed to... the space colony arc that doesn't exist in this universe, with more toys, and maybe a comic book, and probably some stuff in a game. An explanation for shadow, I would just say wait. 

However for a hypothetical shadow the hedgehog episode. I have two ideas

1) In the comic before shattered cyrstal, it shows shadows true intentions it seems, and arguably the best version of him all of boom, and possibly an explanation for why he the way he is.He just likes to help folks, he took upon himself to fight lyric , and on that same token. Maybe he humored eggman in episode 52 because... well, he felt bad for him. He basically says as much, when they start fighting. An episode about him helping people would be interesting. 

2)An episode where he brings his bike ( because shut up, he likes his bike) to tails because he wants something done to it. They bond, shadow not being a stupid as sonic or knuckles, and not caring or rather overbearing as much as amy, and having an actual attention span unlike sticks, he finds an usual friend. Which would lead to subsequent shadow and tails, do thing. Episodes. 

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

2)An episode where he brings his bike ( because shut up, he likes his bike) to tails because he wants something done to it. They bond, shadow not being a stupid as sonic or knuckles, and not caring or rather overbearing as much as amy, and having an actual attention span unlike sticks, he finds an usual friend. Which would lead to subsequent shadow and tails, do thing. Episodes. 

That likely won't happen, because the writers want to keep Shadow as a serious character. They almost didn't put Shadow in the last episode, because they felt like portraying him as a goofy villain would have made Shadow look bad, so they decided to make the other villains silly, but have Shadow stand out as the more serious villain.

Yeah, Shadow was still humorous in his appearance, but more from his subdued reactions towards to the bumbling of other characters.

I will however place bets on Shadow having at least one enormous 'not so above it all' moment before the show ends, just it won't be the norm for his character.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, SpongicX said:

That likely won't happen, because the writers want to keep Shadow as a serious character. They almost didn't put Shadow in the last episode, because they felt like portraying him as a goofy villain would have made Shadow look bad, so they decided to make the other villains silly, but have Shadow stand out as the more serious villain.

It doesn't require shadow to be goofy. In fact, just... Chill. I could easily see tails and shadow having a conversation in Ernest as a subplot to some silly adventures. Tails had a chill day with shadow , knuckles and sonic went on some adventure. 

And it could Problably provide insight into his character. Tails is a bit of a strait shooter, and even before boom. I think its been mentioned shadow has mad respect for the kid, and vice versa. And while I'll criticise boom shadow , i think that talk could still happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

It doesn't require shadow to be goofy. In fact, just... Chill. I could easily see tails and shadow having a conversation in Ernest as a subplot to some silly adventures. Tails had a chill day with shadow , knuckles and sonic went on some adventure. 

And it could Problably provide insight into his character. Tails is a bit of a strait shooter, and even before boom. I think its been mentioned shadow has mad respect for the kid, and vice versa. And while I'll criticise boom shadow , i think that talk could still happen.

Indeed, Shadow can be a serious character without being perpetually angry. Honestly, his insistence on only being angry and wanting to kill and all that in the finale made him more silly than he would be if the writers had him interacting with the other characters in a meaningful way. Shadow doesn't need to be a goofy villain or a generic "serious" villain, he just needs to be a character, with his own likes and dislikes, and relations with other characters, and things he will and won't do, just like any other character on the show. He can be serious without being an angry bad guy out for Sonic's blood all the time.

• Thumbs Up 4

Nothing has to be anything or not anything, wasn't that the point of making a new universe? All these fake restraints are what's holding the series back, and that's why trying to expect something entirely familiar is bad. I'm not saying I totally disagree, but I think that the idea that we need to hold some standard of mannerisms and actions to a character is wrong.

3 minutes ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

Nothing has to be anything or not anything, wasn't that the point of making a new universe? All these fake restraints are what's holding the series back, and that's why trying to expect something entirely familiar is bad

Uh, I'm not expecting Shadow to be exactly like he was in the main series, I just want him to be more of a character. In episode 52, Shadow was pretty much just a walking plot device with fanservice attached.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well yeah, what did Knuckles do when he showed up in Sonic 3? Pushed you in a hole and laughed at you. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, you don't think they'll write him as that for every further episode he shows up in, do you?

18 minutes ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

Well yeah, what did Knuckles do when he showed up in Sonic 3? Pushed you in a hole and laughed at you. Everyone's gotta start somewhere,

I'd say Knuckles still had character in Sonic 3 despite being unable to talk. He had a background, a goal, a motivation for the things he did, his laughing after getting in Sonic's way said a lot about his personality, and he actually developed as a character.

In the Sonic Boom cartoon, Shadow basically only existed to fight Sonic (oh, and provide fanservice because he's Shadow, and his mere presence counts as fanservice when he wasn't in any other episodes prior). That's it. We didn't get any motivations from him or anything, and he barely interacted with any of the characters. The writers could have done a way better job of establishing Shadow's character than they did.

you don't think they'll write him as that for every further episode he shows up in, do you?

I dunno, maybe? We really have no way of knowing what the writers plan on doing with him in season 2. All we know is how they decided to use him in season one. That's pretty much all we have to go off of, so of course we're going to talk about it and criticize it.

34 minutes ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

Well yeah, what did Knuckles do when he showed up in Sonic 3? Pushed you in a hole and laughed at you. Everyone's gotta start somewhere, you don't think they'll write him as that for every further episode he shows up in, do you?

I hope they don't.

I dont particularly trust them.

39 minutes ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

Nothing has to be anything or not anything, wasn't that the point of making a new universe? All these fake restraints are what's holding the series back, and that's why trying to expect something entirely familiar is bad. I'm not saying I totally disagree, but I think that the idea that we need to hold some standard of mannerisms and actions to a character is wrong.

It kind of does. Sonic boom don't exist in a vacuum. And much like comics, unless you explain your ass off why this version of this character is like this. Or the character change in general is good. You will recive critcism.

Heck that entire idea is why the deadpool movie exists.

Yeah its a different version , but to just throw away, without any explination (or quality check) why that character is who they are is idiotic. Even ultraman, kryptonite snorting evil superman needs regular superman to exist for that to make sense. Otherwise he's just some asshole.

To make a game comparison, new universes don't exist in some vacuum. When DmC came out it was shat on, and didn't sell well. Yeah you might not be withholden to make everything the same. But no one is obligated to like it either.

So people expecting a frame of reference in a universe who's entire existence requires a frame of refence isnt too nuts. Especially when this character is a fanservice/pushing him for popularity in a new setting again character, emulating at least some of  the things that kept him so popular in the first place might be a good idea. 

These big-ass lists of ideas are great and all, but ironically, if you post them online then legally the writers of the show can't use them because then they'd be vulnerable to lawsuits.

Don't get me wrong, some of these concepts are brilliant, but posting them here basically ensures they won't be used, as Bill Freiberger has said multiple times.

2 minutes ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

These big-ass lists of ideas are great and all, but ironically, if you post them online then legally the writers of the show can't use them because then they'd be vulnerable to lawsuits.

Don't get me wrong, some of these concepts are brilliant, but posting them here basically ensures they won't be used, as Bill Freiberger has said multiple times.

No, you just can't send them to the writers. We're just having fun speculating on a forum, which I'm sure won't affect whether any of these ideas are used if the writers were already thinking of something similar. I'd say chances are good a few of these ideas are already going to be episodes in season 2, though perhaps not as we pictured them.

I wish they allowed us to send in ideas before season 2 started production, though. I'm sure there could have been a way to ensure the ideas were legally theirs after being sent if they were to decide to use any of them. Oh, well.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

No, you just can't send them to the writers.

Not necessarily.

Not that anyone here would do it, I'm sure, but if, for example, an episode was created that was dangerously similar to one of the speculative ideas posted here, then regardless of whether or not it was physically sent to the writers the user would have a legal case to say that it was a violation of their copyrighted intellectual property; in other words, they could quite plausibly say "hey, Bill/Alan/Greg must have seen my idea online and ripped it off!", and unless this can be explicitly disproven, everything gets mired in red-tape - something I'm sure SEGA and Ouido wish to avoid.

I actually directly asked Mike Pollock about this on YouTube last week, and he said basically the same thing.

Far be it from me to be a killjoy, though. I'm as hyped as anyone for Season 2.

2 minutes ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

Not necessarily.

Not that anyone here would do it, I'm sure, but if, for example, an episode was created that was dangerously similar to one of the speculative ideas posted here, then regardless of whether or not it was physically sent to the writers the user would have a legal case to say that it was a violation of their copyrighted intellectual property; in other words, they could quite plausibly say "hey, Bill/Alan/Greg must have seen my idea online and ripped it off!", and unless this can be explicitly disproven, everything gets mired in red-tape - something I'm sure SEGA and Ouido wish to avoid.

I actually directly asked Mike Pollock about this on YouTube last week, and he said basically the same thing.

Huh, informative. Well, if an idea similar to one they're already using for season 2 is posted online after they begin production, what can they do about it? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Hyper Enesephus said:

Huh, informative. Well, if an idea similar to one they're already using for season 2 is posted online after they begin production, what can they do about it? 

Then that provides the proof I was talking about. Evidence (such as callsheets/contracts with dates/production documents) of when the production of that episode began compared to when the idea was posted online to prove that the episode was already being made before it was posted.

1 minute ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

Then that provides the proof I was talking about. Evidence (such as callsheets/contracts with dates/production documents) of when the production of that episode began compared to when the idea was posted online to prove that the episode was already being made before it was posted.

Well, since season 2 is already in production, I don't really see the issue with discussing plots we'd like to see.

Eh, either way, my buzz is pretty much killed, and I won't be posting any more episode ideas. I guess it's just kind of pointless, anyway. Thanks for the information, I came out of this with more knowledge than before.

1 minute ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Well, since season 2 is already in production, I don't really see the issue with discussing plots we'd like to see.

Eh, either way, my buzz is pretty much killed, and I won't be posting any more episode ideas. I guess it's just kind of pointless, anyway. Thanks for the information, I came out of this with more knowledge than before.

No problem. The only issue is that based on Bill Freiberger's recent purge of people on Twitter discussing story ideas, and the fact that Season 2 was only recently announced, it's likely that they're still in the preliminary story stages, so it'd be wise to tread carefully.

Sorry for killing your buzz. Legal stuff has a tendency to do that.

Just now, E-122-Psi said:

In that case, how about an amusing episode about a bridge?

hqdefault.jpg

Is the joke that we can't post episode ideas unless they're incredibly vague? And the Family Guy image?

I don't think I get it...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, E-122-Psi said:

In that case, how about an amusing episode about a bridge?

hqdefault.jpg

Clever. Reverse psychology. Post all the episode ideas we don't want. Genius!

1 hour ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Is the joke that we can't post episode ideas unless they're incredibly vague? And the Family Guy image?

I don't think I get it...

I see it needs context:

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

I see it needs context:

Ahhh, I get it now. Yeah, you should have just embedded the video in your other post to begin with.