Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

13 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Sorry, I assumed that gag had been meme-ed into everyone's heads by now. :P

Well, for the record, your other post is funny now that I know the context of that image.

But, yeah, not being able to share and discuss episode ideas kills about 50% of this thread's discussion value until we get actual information about season 2. Shame.

5 hours ago, Mcbasilrocks said:

These big-ass lists of ideas are great and all, but ironically, if you post them online then legally the writers of the show can't use them because then they'd be vulnerable to lawsuits.

Don't get me wrong, some of these concepts are brilliant, but posting them here basically ensures they won't be used, as Bill Freiberger has said multiple times.

I mentioned how these are episodes I'd love to see, therefor, the makers of Sonic Boom have every right to make these episodes. I won't want anything in return, I just set up plots and ideas, not entire scripts. If Sega wants to take my suggestions without credit, then they have every right to do so. I posted those ideas to share my love for Sonic Boom, and what I'd love to see happen. 

4 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I mentioned how these are episodes I'd love to see, therefor, the makers of Sonic Boom have every right to make these episodes. I won't want anything in return, I just set up plots and ideas, not entire scripts. If Sega wants to take my suggestions without credit, then they have every right to do so. I posted those ideas to share my love for Sonic Boom, and what I'd love to see happen. 

I think the issue is that, even if you truly would be fine with them using the ideas, even without your express permission, without a contract or anything like that, the people behind the show just can't risk getting into legal territory, especially since, on the internet, you're basically just words on a screen. For all they know, after borrowing an idea from you or me, one of us could just decide to go all "you stole my idea!" out of nowhere.

It's a real shame, because I love posting ideas and reading other people's, and I do wish the writers could use some of our ideas. If only they allowed people to send in episode ideas, in a way that gave them the legal right to use the ideas. I mean, Dexter's Lab once did an episode that a little kid sent in, and Adventure Time once used a fan character in the show. 

On 3/2/2016 at 8:05 PM, Hyper Enesephus said:

I think the issue is that, even if you truly would be fine with them using the ideas, even without your express permission, without a contract or anything like that, the people behind the show just can't risk getting into legal territory, especially since, on the internet, you're basically just words on a screen. For all they know, after borrowing an idea from you or me, one of us could just decide to go all "you stole my idea!" out of nowhere.

It's a real shame, because I love posting ideas and reading other people's, and I do wish the writers could use some of our ideas. If only they allowed people to send in episode ideas, in a way that gave them the legal right to use the ideas. I mean, Dexter's Lab once did an episode that a little kid sent in, and Adventure Time once used a fan character in the show. 

But I came up with these concepts using their property, which means they have every right to use them. It's not like they'd be stealing ideas 100% made up by me. They own the characters and license, which gives them every right to make something real out of a fan's speculation. Besides, many of my ideas are probably similar to other plot set ups in many other cartoons, the only difference is giving it a twist with Sonic characters.  Believe it or not, that's how Ms. Pacman was created, she started out as a sequel made by Pacman fans, but Namco prevented them from releasing it, since it violated their copyright for Pacman. Instead of cancelling it, they took over, and finished it themselves, making an entirely new game in the Pacman series, and a new character as well. The same can be said about Donkey Kong, although Rareware revived Donkey Kong, redesigned him, and gave him his own starring series, Nintendo still owned the rights to those characters, since they were the creators and right holders of Donkey Kong. When Rareware was bought out by Microsoft, all of the characters Rare made for Donkey Kong were left with Nintendo, since they fell under the license of the Donkey Kong Country trademark. 

There's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from others, as long as you're not 100% ripping them off, or copying off of them. That's why it's important for artists and writers to mix up their ideas. If an artist or writer comes up with a plot for something, they should think to themselves if it's too similar to something they've already seen, if if so, then what can you add to make it more different and unique?

17 hours ago, SpongicX said:

But I came up with these concepts using their property, which means they have every right to use them. It's not like they'd be stealing ideas 100% made up by me. They own the characters and license, which gives them every right to make something real out of a fan's speculation. Besides, many of my ideas are probably similar to other plot set ups in many other cartoons, the only difference is giving it a twist with Sonic characters.  Believe it or not, that's how Ms. Pacman was created, she started out as a sequel made by Pacman fans, but Namco prevented them from releasing it, since it violated their copyright for Pacman. Instead of cancelling it, they took over, and finished it themselves, making an entirely new game in the Pacman series, and a new character as well. The same can be said about Donkey Kong, although Rareware revived Donkey Kong, redesigned him, and gave him his own starring series, Nintendo still owned the rights to those characters, since they were the creators and right holders of Donkey Kong. When Rareware was bought out by Microsoft, all of the characters Rare made for Donkey Kong were left with Nintendo, since they fell under the license of the Donkey Kong Country trademark. 

There's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from others, as long as you're not 100% ripping them off, or copying off of them. That's why it's important for artists and writers to mix up their ideas. If an artist or writer comes up with a plot for something, they should think to themselves if it's too similar to something they've already seen, if if so, then what can you add to make it more different and unique?

Tl;dr version in conclusion:

The law sucks and copyright shit makes zero sense.

Awesome! Another DVD! And such a short time after the first one came out. Given the last DVD's episode order, we can expect episodes 14 through 26.

Still a shame we haven't heard anything about them coming to the US, though. They'd make a killing over here, I'm sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

When the hell are we going to get these DVDs in other regions? This news honestly doesn't mean much to me if I can't enjoy the DVD too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yay free stickers.

They should just release all the episodes on one DVD. Well it doesn't make sense money wise but for real; the episodes are only ten minutes long. Or half on one DVD and half on the other.

4 hours ago, Aqua7KH said:

Yay free stickers.

They should just release all the episodes on one DVD. Well it doesn't make sense money wise but for real; the episodes are only ten minutes long. Or half on one DVD and half on the other.

It's at least more generous than Sonic X's distribution here in the UK, two episodes per DVD. We never got past the fourth DVD, meaning episode 8 of the first season.

At this rate it'll take the same amount of DVDs to complete Boom's first season, and we're guaranteed the first 26 episodes at least.

Going by the episodes on Volume 1, these are likely the next batch of episodes.

-The Meteor 

-Aim Low

-How to Succeed in Evil Without Really Trying

-Don't Judge Me!

-Dr. Eggman's Tomato Sauce

-Sole Power 

-Hedgehog Day

-Sleeping Giant

-The Curse of the Buddy Buddy Temple

-Let's Play Musical Friends

-Late Fees

-Into the Wilderness

-Eggman Unplugged

Really liking the usage of new Sonic art for the box!

By the way, I'm pretty sure you could talk about potential new episode ideas as long as you put them in spoiler tags and give a warning as to what they are. That's what Ian Flynn mandated for the Archie Sonic comics on the BumbleKing forums.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

It's at least more generous than Sonic X's distribution here in the UK, two episodes per DVD. We never got past the fourth DVD, meaning episode 8 of the first season.

At this rate it'll take the same amount of DVDs to complete Boom's first season, and we're guaranteed the first 26 episodes at least.

1 ep/DVD here... and it was only for the first 5 episodes.

Just now, Diamond said:

1 ep/DVD here... and it was only for the first 5 episodes.

Ouch. That's pretty rough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, that and the fact that we never got the the SA1 saga even in the TV version....

Also, is the DVD of Sonic Boom having some extra features ( like bios, concept art...)? And is Boom coming to Blu Ray?

3 minutes ago, Diamond said:

Well, that and the fact that we never got the the SA1 saga even in the TV version....

Also, is the DVD of Sonic Boom having some extra features ( like bios, concept art...)? And is Boom coming to Blu Ray?

We don't know yet. I believe the series was made in HD, so I imagine they would release a Blu ray version when the entire season is released in one case, though whether or not that happens may depend on the sales of these DVDs, I fear.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2016 at 3:41 PM, Aqua7KH said:

Tl;dr version in conclusion:

The law sucks and copyright shit makes zero sense.

Man, you don't have to be so rude about it...

On 3/4/2016 at 7:37 AM, Champion Falling-Zebra said:

So uh... There's gonna be another dvd for Boom, called Hedgehog day.

http://www.bva.org.uk/titles/film?id=MMID00137603

latest?cb=20160304112419

It's being released on May 13th 2016 for the UK....

At least they used new art this time...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CJPY12G

Not available yet, but dropping this when it gets available for pre orders...

Come on, America still hasn't gotten volume 1 yet, and why the heck isn't any of this on Blu Ray? This show deserves HD releases as well. 

16 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

Man, you don't have to be so rude about it...

Come on, America still hasn't gotten volume 1 yet, and why the heck isn't any of this on Blu Ray? This show deserves HD releases as well. 

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude about the matter! I'm just saying that it sucks that fans can't share ideas because of something so silly and ridiculous. I apologize if it sounded like I was being offensive on the matter.

• Thumbs Up 2

Concerning episode ideas I suppose one concept I always liked was 

Spoiler

Knuckles getting a sidekick. Most versions of Knuckles, but definitely this one, especially after the first episode. Being Sonic's rival (and usually less popular than him by miles) I like the idea of Knuckles getting his own kid groupie that he latches onto, likely making up his old stories about Sonic being inferior to him and always stealing his glory. Imagine if they bought into it, and he had this naive little underdog-worshiping Knuckles Jr who thought he was genuinely leaps and bounds above this Sonic-whoever.

I put it in spoilers as requested for this discussion. Are we still doing that?

6 hours ago, Aqua7KH said:

Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude about the matter! I'm just saying that it sucks that fans can't share ideas because of something so silly and ridiculous. I apologize if it sounded like I was being offensive on the matter.

I'm sorry too, thank you for the apology. Usually when people respond with an abbreviation for "too long, didn't read", it's usually used as a rude response, implying people are being too stubborn to read into other people's points and opinions, and I thought you were doing the same.

I just went back and added spoiler tags to my episode ideas.   

Edited by Zaysho
Double posting. Added your recent post onto this one.

2 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I'm sorry too, thank you for the apology. Usually when people respond with an abbreviation for "too long, didn't read", it's usually used as a rude response, implying people are being too stubborn to read into other people's points and opinions, and I thought you were doing the same.

I just went back and added spoiler tags to my episode ideas.   

I admit sometimes there are REALLY long posts, but I just posted that to basically sum up that copyright stuff is stupid. No harm done, so thank you as well!

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are some more episode concepts I would love to see happen. 

Spoiler

Out With the Old, and In With The Blue - a new fan girl starts getting obsessed with Sonic, but gets jealous whenever she sees Amy with Sonic. This new girl tries desperately to get rid of Amy. Amy starts catching on very quickly, and tries warning Sonic

Fairy Tale Tellers - When Sticks disrupts her friends with a paranoid fright one night, the gang assumes that Sticks is suffering from a lack of sleep, and decide to tell their own fairy tails to help Sticks get to sleep. Will the stories soothe Sticks to sleep, or scare her even more?

Space Craze - After one of Eggman's latest weapons backfires and bursts off into space, the whole world is in jeopardy when the weapon landed on the moon, with a time limit set for an explosion. Tails and Eggman build a space ship, and set off with Sonic and the gang to the moon. The gang set off to the moon in hopes of disposing the bomb, before the moon blows up and strikes their planet in the aftermath

A Story That Sticks - While setting up a surprise birthday party for Sticks, the gang look back on how they first met Sticks, and helped her be more civilized.

Camping and Cramping - The gang go out camping in the mountain woods for a weekend of hiking, rafting, and campfire fun. The fun wears off when Knuckles gets lost, and the gang ends up searching for him.

Eggmom - Amy gets so fed up with Eggman's attacks and unacceptable behavior, and she decides to form an intervention with someone Eggman hasn't spoken with in years, his mother. While Amy hopes that reuniting Eggman with his mother would help open Eggman up to make him and his mom happy, the plan severely backfires when Eggman's mom is revealed to be more dastardly than Eggman. Eggman and his mom end up forming an evil mother and son partnership, and hold Amy captive. Sonic and the gang get a ransom note from Eggman about him and his mother capturing Amy, and the gang sets off to rescue her.

20,000 Leaks Under The Sink - Sticks' burrow gets flooded when her primitive sink pipes start bursting. Tails is the only one she can rely on to be capable of fixing this tragedy. Tails and Sticks end up on a frantic rush to keep the water level down, and replace the pipes as best as they can.

Badgering Parents - Sticks starts getting worried when she finds out her parents are coming for a visit, and her friends don't understand why. The gang end up surprised to find out that Sticks' parents are not civilized, and start to understand why Sticks felt nervous about them. Things go from awkward to worse when Sticks' table leg breaks, and Tails pulls out one of his inventions to help her fix it. Sticks' parents are so primitive, that they go berserk with fear over the sight of Tails' invention, and start rampaging  through the village. Sticks starts getting so embarrassed and ashamed for how uncivilized her parents are, and tells her parents that she never wants to see them again. Her friends try comforting  her, and assure her that it's normal for parents to sometimes embarrass their kids, or not be alike. They convince Sticks to look for her parents and apologize.  

Well, Unfortunately the Brazilian Cartoon Network is planning to remove Sonic Boom from the schedule. I'm very sad with this, although rarely I remember to see the series. But, the series isn't bad. The series made me laugh and also something different to do in the afternoon. In fact, it was one of the only thing I watched on TV.

I had already talked about it in a status update, but for those who did not see, I wrote here too.