Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

Just now, sansy said:

While I can agree that No Robots Allowed was weak episode but I think you're overthinking about it too much given your reasons, before the show was aired the team did say that the show will have a very loose canon. Some episodes will reference other episodes like how Just a Guy referenced Eggman Unplugged and as such but it's quite obvious that the show isn't quite focused on setting up lore and strong storytelling, the writers write jokes based on the situations given to them. Sometimes it works great for episodes like Battle of the Boy Bands or it can be like No Robots Allowed where it feel awkward and forced. For the most part, the episodes are treated as standalone episodes that rarely have any connections to previous episodes. And that's a perfectly acceptable way to write a cartoon, I mean nobody watched Tom & Jerry or Looney Tunes for an overarching story arc, people love those shows because of its witty and smart humor. I feel that Freiberger and the crew were in that mindset when they were writing the episodes for the show granted they are aware that they're working on a Sonic cartoon and they are aware that these characters are action heroes, so they do have some fight scenes here and there. 

I don't think Sonic Boom should be compared to Tom & Jerry, or Looney Tunes. Those shows started off as animated shorts that were played in theaters, back before TV was ever invented. Those shows were very different as well, they were skit based shows that mostly focused on comedy and slapstick, and each skit starred a different cast of characters and different settings, every time. Sonic Boom however, is not a skit based show, where the characters are supposed to be in different time periods or settings. Sonic Boom features reoccurring characters and are always the same role. Unlike Looney Tunes, you won't see episodes where Sonic is one minute a knight of the round table, or has a job as a window cleaner in another. Sonic Boom is a structured show that is always set on the same island, it is not like Looney Tunes, or Tom & Jerry in any form. 

the characters of Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry were always presented like they were actual animated actors, and were always playing a different part in every skit. Sonic Boom was presented with  characters with consistent traits and roles. Looney Tunes had a set up that made it more acceptable, but Sonic Boom does not. 

Well I'm not saying Boom is exactly 1:1 to T&J or LT (that would AoStH) but if I were to compare it to another well known cartoon, as I said Gumball is a safe bet and I liked that show too based on the couple of episodes I've seen. Also I recall that Freiberger said that Seinfield was an inspiration when it came to working on Boom, while the fans of action Sonic would kind that baffling, to say the least. So Freiberger was focused on giving the show a sitcom feel to it and while they did do more action-focused episodes like Eggman's Tomato Sauce and a couple others, it was always a comedy first. 

Again, I don't mind if Boom does go for a tone similar to Rise of Lyric atleast, all I care is the show is good whether it's a good comedy show or action/adventure, I couldn't care less.

• Thumbs Up 1

Keep in mind Sansy the level of action and energy in AOSTH is on an entirely different level than BOOM.

AOSTH was a comedy centric series that simultaneously focused on Sonic always being on the move, making streets bend against physics to his will because of his pace. He was always zipping two and fro and his actions were as quick and spontaneous as his lines.

The issue with Sonic BOOM is, I believe, the laziness shared by everyone in the series. Comedy isn't an issue whatsoever, and really I've no issue with the comedy in the series, it's just the general laziness, the indifferent attitude towards everything, even in battles it's a meh thing for the most part.

Comedy in Sonic, good, lazy indifference, bad. This franchise wasn't founded upon a laid back and nonchalant mindset/atmosphere, nor should it be attempted to make it as such now.

There are soooooooo many shows already founded upon that now, and it doesn't help trying to push Sonic into an already overfilled glass so to say, especially with my statement in mind.

I personally found the "action" in AoStH to be very shallow and mindless, it's your typical nonsensical stupid slapstick without any sense of wit or clever usage. It felt like the writers just make random enemies explode and stuff and expect kids to just laugh at it because "lol random bad guys gets the owies".  That's the primary source of comedy I fund in the show and it gets tiring and boring very quick and for having to rely on that type of comedy for over 60 episodes, it just loses it luster. Boom's more laid back nature lends itself more open to various types of comedy, they can do slapstick and wacky humor to make it more energetic or they can go for a satire or social commentary episode. 

And also laidback =/= lazy, I mean I don't see Sonic just lying in bed and sleep for 52 episodes (you want lazy Sonic, X Sonic is the pinnacle of laziness) and even if Sonic is nonstop sleeping, it's because Eggman made sure him and Tails never got any sleep at all therefore making it impossible for them to have any energy to fight back.

The franchise may not have set up originally for a show like Boom but then again, it also wasn't set up for games like the Adventures, Shadow/06, the Storybook series, Unleashed and various other games. 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, sansy said:

I personally found the "action" in AoStH to be very shallow and mindless, it's your typical nonsensical stupid slapstick without any sense of wit or clever usage. It felt like the writers just make random enemies explode and stuff and expect kids to just laugh at it because "lol random bad guys gets the owies".  That's the primary source of comedy I fund in the show and it gets tiring and boring very quick and for having to rely on that type of comedy for over 60 episodes, it just loses it luster. Boom's more laid back nature lends itself more open to various types of comedy, they can do slapstick and wacky humor to make it more energetic or they can go for a satire or social commentary episode. 

And also laidback =/= lazy, I mean I don't see Sonic just lying in bed and sleep for 52 episodes (you want lazy Sonic, X Sonic is the pinnacle of laziness) and even if Sonic is nonstop sleeping, it's because Eggman made sure him and Tails never got any sleep at all therefore making it impossible for them to have any energy to fight back.

The franchise may not have set up originally for a show like Boom but then again, it also wasn't set up for games like the Adventures, Shadow/06, the Storybook series, Unleashed and various other games. 

Actually it was going by the Death Egg/Space Colony/Unleashed Canon similarity and the emphasis since Genesis days on apocalyptic dictatorship.

Revolving the Storybook games, that, I admit, beat me there and agree. Although the BK title was enjoyable for me, Secret Rings, ehh...

Far as X goes... Dunno, don't remember it having the same laidback/lazy atmosphere to the degree BOOM has it. That's not to say it wasn't present, but it wasn't as strongly emphasized.

Believe it or not I do have faith for Season 2 correcting various faults.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well from playing the Classic games, I would've never though the first couple of 3D games would feature a kid being killed or giant water demigod annihilating an entire race to extinction. Not saying those were bad ideas but focusing on the humble beginnings, the Adventures were quite a different beast. I'm not saying the Adventures, Unleashed or the Storybook series games are bad, I enjoyed those games quite a bit. But I'm saying that Sonic Boom is the first time when SEGA made something completely different from what it originally was is a complete lie.

Sonic X was pretty much a different show from Boom but I see a good amount of people complaining how Boom Sonic in the show is like an old grandpa who just sleeps around and doesn't do much and that rubbed me the wrong way and is also a lie tbh.

I just don't feel comfortable using the word lazy and using that as interchangeable word for laidback since both words while have similar BUT different meanings. 

8 hours ago, sansy said:

Well from playing the Classic games, I would've never though the first couple of 3D games would feature a kid being killed or giant water demigod annihilating an entire race to extinction. Not saying those were bad ideas but focusing on the humble beginnings, the Adventures were quite a different beast. I'm not saying the Adventures, Unleashed or the Storybook series games are bad, I enjoyed those games quite a bit. But I'm saying that Sonic Boom is the first time when SEGA made something completely different from what it originally was is a complete lie.

Not really. The classics had some stuff akin to those as well, though it was usually tucked away in the manual.

7 hours ago, S.O.N.I.C said:

Not really. The classics had some stuff akin to those as well, though it was usually tucked away in the manual.

You had a guy wanting to kill all life and turn everything into metal. Heck, look at Sonic CD.

I'm not saying I dislike the BOOM show wholeheartedly, there just needs to be way less casual and way more action. You can fit in whatever type of script you want really even with more action. Energy does not equate to lack of creative writing/freedom, it just means you need to be MORE creative to make it work in that form as well. If anything, I'd say it's a worthy challenge.

Edit

I will say, Sansy, that I apologize for striking a nerve with my thoughts on the atmosphere/plot of the BOOM franchise. It wasn't my intention to cause any level of aggravation.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, sansy said:

I agree, I personally didn't like any of the old American cartoons of Sonic. Either they were too cheesy, too awkward, too embarrassing to watch, or because it failed to duplicate the tone of the games, and shoved in too many made up characters. Sonic Boom may have made up characters, but the show doesn't put the focus on them, and it focuses more on the actual main characters fans of the games tune in to watch. 

Sonic Boom may not resemble the games entirely, but it still has a lot of nods to the video games. We have the badniks, like Crab Meat, Motobugs, and Buzzbombs. We have Sonic's 3 main friends, Eggman and his henchmen from the games, and it's also the only tv series of Sonic to include Metal Sonic. The characters all still maintain their abilities and capabilities from the games. None of the old cartoons acknowledged Tails as a young mechanic or pilot, but Sonic Boom did. I also hated how the old American shows seemed to be biased against Amy. They acted like she didn't exist, just so they could include some corny lovey dovey relationship with their made up chipmunk princess character. They even had the nerve to dub Amy as Princess Sally in the American manual for Sonic CD! That was just plain stupid. 

I only partially liked Sonic X (everything that had nothing to do with Chris and the other humans were the only good things about the show, but there were barely any moments without them...) Sonic Boom is my all time favorite Sonic series. 

Please don't attack me for not liking the American cartoons, I just personally don't like them. I used to like AOSTH as a kid, but after playing the games and looking back on the show, the show just didn't entertain me anymore, it felt so corny and unfunny. Here I am as an adult, and I feel Sonic Boom can deliver some really great humor, when they have the right writers for the show. I found the first 8 episodes of the show to be a good streak of funny episodes, it wasn't really until Guilt Trippers, where the episodes started getting a bit shaky for me. I loved most episodes of the show, but there are a few that I found distasteful. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I agree, I personally didn't like any of the old American cartoons of Sonic. Either they were too cheesy, too awkward, too embarrassing to watch, or because it failed to duplicate the tone of the games, and shoved in too many made up characters. Sonic Boom may have made up characters, but the show doesn't put the focus on them, and it focuses more on the actual main characters fans of the games tune in to watch. 

Sonic Boom may not resemble the games entirely, but it still has a lot of nods to the video games. We have the badniks, like Crab Meat, Motobugs, and Buzzbombs. We have Sonic's 3 main friends, Eggman and his henchmen from the games, and it's also the only tv series of Sonic to include Metal Sonic. The characters all still maintain their abilities and capabilities from the games. None of the old cartoons acknowledged Tails as a young mechanic or pilot, but Sonic Boom did. I also hated how the old American shows seemed to be biased against Amy. They acted like she didn't exist, just so they could include some corny lovey dovey relationship with their made up chipmunk princess character. They even had the nerve to dub Amy as Princess Sally in the American manual for Sonic CD! That was just plain stupid. 

I only partially liked Sonic X (everything that had nothing to do with Chris and the other humans were the only good things about the show, but there were barely any moments without them...) Sonic Boom is my all time favorite Sonic series. 

Please don't attack me for not liking the American cartoons, I just personally don't like them. I used to like AOSTH as a kid, but after playing the games and looking back on the show, the show just didn't entertain me anymore, it felt so corny and unfunny. Here I am as an adult, and I feel Sonic Boom can deliver some really great humor, when they have the right writers for the show. I found the first 8 episodes of the show to be a good streak of funny episodes, it wasn't really until Guilt Trippers, where the episodes started getting a bit shaky for me. I loved most episodes of the show, but there are a few that I found distasteful. 

I... Don't believe anyone will/would attack you for that... ^_^;

That aside...

I dunno, I liked Chris's grandfather, although not Chris himself. I suppose any like I might have for him is because of his name, which had Sonic saying my name throughout the series. But name similarity aside, I didn't care for most humans either, well, except for that racer guy who tried to be Sonic's speedy rival, that was kind of funny.

I also believe Sonic X acknowledged much of what you said revolving Tails and it did reference the enemies via the GUN machines and Chaos experiments, Chaos himself, etc. Not the "omagherd Genesis stuff!" but still.

Nothing wrong with your preferences nonetheless, my own merely revolve Satam/AOSTH and X more-so than BOOM, then again, nothing wrong with that either. We all like our flavors.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

You had a guy wanting to kill all life and turn everything into metal. Heck, look at Sonic CD.

I'm not saying I dislike the BOOM show wholeheartedly, there just needs to be way less casual and way more action. You can fit in whatever type of script you want really even with more action. Energy does not equate to lack of creative writing/freedom, it just means you need to be MORE creative to make it work in that form as well. If anything, I'd say it's a worthy challenge.

Edit

I will say, Sansy, that I apologize for striking a nerve with my thoughts on the atmosphere/plot of the BOOM franchise. It wasn't my intention to cause any level of aggravation.

The same thing occurred in Rise of Lyric dood, Lyric literally says that almost word for word in the trailers.

But that's kinda of changing the show entirely, I'd say there's a risk of alienating the viewers who've grown used to the more casual, comedic style the first season had. I guess I'm kind of "insecure" (that's probably not the right term) about the tonal shift since we only have one other comedy Sonic cartoon and looking at it now, outside of the "OMG what kind of drugs were these animators" kinds of funny, AoStH really isn't funny imo. Now that we have the modern equivalent to AoStH with Boom and with a more experienced crew who has a good amount of experience writing cartoons and in the TV industry in general, I'd say these guys are pretty capable of handling a comedic Sonic cartoon and still keep it interesting. I mean, 52 episodes later and I (and a couple of 100K viewers as well) still want more, that has mean they're doing something right? As I said, don't fix what isn't broken. I mean, the casual nature could go for a more energetic route while still keeping the comedy intact that would be a more interesting take. But I'm not hold onto anything the second season airs.

It's cool dude, we all have our preferences. You prefer a more action-focused take on Boom, I'm perfectly fine with either tbh though if it goes for the same style as the first season while still keeping viewers invested, I'd say that's just as fine. I've just been in the wrong crowd for too long and those encounters really "tainted" what people really think from the other side, the people who aren't too big on Boom to say the least.

I do wonder if season two will have Rouge however since she is essentially to Shadow what Tails is to Sonic in a way. Can't have one without the other usually.

Although based on how stereotypically they've treated Knuckles in both character and design, good GOD imagine what Rouge will look and act like...

She'd probably have a walking animation that would make her look like she were trying to do some kinda twerk dance while sounding and acting more like Roger Rabbit's wife than ever before. XD

She isnt at all actually. Shadow is the ability to bounce off whoever is around him.

Also i was informed that people working on boom said they have all the legacy characters they are going to use. They might make their own rouge type character though.

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

She isnt at all actually. Shadow is the ability to bounce off whoever is around him.

Also i was informed that people working on boom said they have all the legacy characters they are going to use. They might make their own rouge type character though.

It's pretty sad/underwhelming if that's the case. We get enough of the main and "mr popular" as it is in the main series still.

I'd love for Rouge to shine more than she has in BOOM, I do not like the idea of Amy being the sole female in the starlight whatsoever.

(Main series wise, BOOM is a chance to really bring Rouge out and give her some much needed fleshing.)

...That sounds weird but whatever...

I suspected this might have been the case, given the fact that I believed the whole "removing episodes from YouTube" thing may have been a sign the show was arriving on Hulu sometime soon; after all, it's still spring, the date stated at the aforementioned toy fair.

I mean, why start taking down episodes almost half a year after the last episode of season one (if they hadn't started before now, and there's a chance that's the case)?

(Dang, has it really been that long?)

This will definitely have a positive effect on the show's popularity. Also, I'm late on saying this, but good move on SEGA's part not to be as forceful as other companies who don't want their stuff on YouTube.

Now, all we need is for SEGA to officially announce season 2, preferably with a trailer attached...

On the subject of action in Sonic Boom (which I only read about on this page, bear with me), I personally think the action parts are pretty boring. I wouldn't want more of it, anyways. It might have something to do with the fact it's a CG cartoon? I thought the action in Sonic X was entertaining enough (choppy animation aside), since it was anime-ish. But I dunno, unless the CG is really good like a Pixar or Dreamworks movie (Tangled, Big Hero 6 and Kung Fu Panda come to mind), then it isn't all that fun (and this is just personal preference, BTW). That, and a lot of the action scenes in Boom are very similar. Badniks attack, Eggman has the upper hand for ten seconds, Sonic and friends do their thing, and then it's over. I dunno... I did, however, love the fight between Sonic and Shadow, that was awesome. I guess it's just boring for me to watch them beat up robots instead.

But hey, the action scenes aren't horrible and I find them pretty inoffensive. As I said though, I don't really want to see much more. I like the comedy instead. Er, most of the time, hehe.

Anyway, I hope Shadow has a recurring role in season 2, either as an antagonist, anti-hero, or as someone who just hangs out with the heroes for no good reason. XP

• Thumbs Up 2

It would be cool if the action involved going on an exploration - something really awesome, not just falling into a Buddy Buddy Temple and solving puzzles - and was blended with a bit of drama. 

But then again, with 11 min. episodes, it's difficult to actually tell a story with any relevant drama on it...

• Thumbs Up 2

Here are some other concepts I'd love to see become episodes of Sonic Boom.

Amynesia -  Eggman builds a memory stealing ray gun, and wants to use it on Sonic, in order to get rid of Sonic's memories, and leave him unavailable to confront or fight . This plan backfires when Amy spots Eggman getting ready to zap Sonic, and she heroically pushes Sonic aside, getting zapped in the process. Eggman gets mad that his plan backfired, but then decided to take Amy's memories back to his lair, and see if any of Amy's memories contain useful information on Sonic's weaknesses. Amy is then left with a lot of broken and missing memories, and the gang tries their best to get Amy back to her old self. Meanwhile, Eggman gets a little too carried away with looking through Amy's memories, that he almost forgets why he was looking through them anyways. Sonic eventually realizes that Amy's memories aren't coming back on her own, and he decides to demand Eggman to give Amy back her memory. 

Heads or Tails? - After Tails gets fed up with Sticks constantly mocking his two tails, Tails decides to get back at her, by inventing a partial duplication beam that will have her grow an extra tail, in order to see how she likes it. Tails sneaks into her burrow at night and uses his new invention on her, It was too dark, and Tails wasn't aware that Sticks was sleeping on the wrong side of her bed. The next morning however, Sticks emerges with not two tails, but two heads instead. Sticks and her second head freak out, and confront Tails about this. Tails is disturbed to see how wrong his attempt at payback went. Tails agrees to change her back to normal, if she apologizes, and stops teasing him about his tails. Sticks refuses, and storms off. Sticks starts getting shocked responses, as people walk by, and are disturbed by her second head. Sticks starts to realize what she's going through is probably similar to what Tails has gone through in the past, and she tries to apologize to Tails.

Two Heads Are Better Than None - After Cubot's clumsiness unintentionally causes Orbot's body to disintegrate, Cubot tries asking Eggman to build Orbot a new body. Eggman is too busy with his latest scheme, and just crudely bolts Orbot's head onto Cubot's back. Orbot as nothing but a head, is then stuck to Cubot's body, until Eggman finally finishes his latest scheme, and has the time to properly give him a new body. Orbot soon gets so annoyed with being stuck on Cubot, and not getting a break of Cubot's chatter and nonsense, that Orbot manages to struggle off of Cubot's body in anger, and rolls away. Orbot gains a little too much speed from rolling away, and ends up rolling off of Eggman's island lair, and ends up getting washed away by the ocean.  Cubot feels guilty for making Orbot lose his body, and their own friendship, and goes out to search for Orbot, and make it up to him. 

The Badger Who Cried Wolf - After reading the tale of The Boy Who Cried Wolf, Eggman comes up with a diversion to prevent Sonic and the gang from stopping him.  He decides to dress like a wolf, and pester the easily paranoid Sticks. He begins jumping out and scaring Sticks, as Sticks runs off to warn her friends about a wolf, the gang follows Sticks, only to find no wolf. They assume Sticks was only paranoid, and didn't really see a wolf. Eggman continues to torment poor Sticks, to the point where her friends start to think she's pulling their leg. Eggman then reveals himself and unveils his plot to Sticks. He tells her how his goal all along was to get everyone to get so fed up with Stick's false claims of a wolf, that they'll quit returning to the site. Eggman reveals how he's been building his torturous themepark. Sticks goes off trying to warn everyone, but they start ignoring her. Sticks then tries to take Eggman on herself.[/spoiler]

I think Netflix would have been the better option, isn't Netflix in way more homes in comparison to Hulu?

And secondly...

Isn't it stupid to offer an exclusivity deal on digital streaming? People like options, why not, instead of forming a solo-deal, just put BOOM on Hulu, Netflix, etc?

I really don't get what makes exclusivity so special to SEGA nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I think Netflix would have been the better option, isn't Netflix in way more homes in comparison to Hulu?

And secondly...

Isn't it stupid to offer an exclusivity deal on digital streaming? People like options, why not, instead of forming a solo-deal, just put BOOM on Hulu, Netflix, etc?

I really don't get what makes exclusivity so special to SEGA nowadays.

Money.

3 hours ago, TimmiT said:

Money.

Would they REALLY make more money via exclusivity than with variety? Being on multiple services sounds better to me. And more publicity due to that variety.

Granted this is speaking as an, admittedly, butthurt Netflix user, but at the same time, does it not make sense?

• Thumbs Up 1

Deciding to go with Hulu was a completely idiotic situation. It's limited to only the US, and nowhere else. Where if they had moved it to Netflix, it would be watchable in the UK, US, and other countries with Netflix. 

Also, is Season 2 exclusive to Hulu or will it still air on TV?

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Deciding to go with Hulu was a completely idiotic situation. It's limited to only the US, and nowhere else. Where if they had moved it to Netflix, it would be watchable in the UK, US, and other countries with Netflix. 

Also, is Season 2 exclusive to Hulu or will it still air on TV?

It will be on TV, that I can guarantee you. (If not... WOW...)

We've the exclusivity deal on Hulu in one territory, DVD exclusivity in the UK, (save for getting lucky and catching episodes on TV of course)

Feels like their handling of the cartoon is falling apart at the present, the last golden limelight there is for BOOM. They gunked up with jumping the gun with Nintendo exclusivity with the games, and they've jumped the gun with cartoon streaming exclusivity with Hulu.

Really don't like exclusivity deals and SEGA going together, they tend to suck, but again, it's still partially the butthurt talking.