Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

The worst thing is if this became a Netflix original, it would instantly get more fans due to not needing consistent airing schedules and such, and in general, Netflix's series are usually highly received.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The worst thing is if this became a Netflix original, it would instantly get more fans due to not needing consistent airing schedules and such, and in general, Netflix's series are usually highly received.

I wish the series had been a Netflix original kind of thing.

Think about it, compare the graphical quality of the Train Your Dragon series aired on TV with the Netflix original series. Sh@t looks soooo much better on Netflix, talking theater quality animation,

By the way, Boom isn't exclusive to any digital/physical releases in the UK. Sonic Boom Volume 1 (Episodes 1-13) and almost definitely Volume 2 when it releases at the end of the month have been released on DVD, and is on ITunes, and Amazon Video. So there's still a good chance it could hit the UK Netflix.

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

By the way, Boom isn't exclusive to any digital/physical releases in the UK. Sonic Boom Volume 1 (Episodes 1-13) and almost definitely Volume 2 when it releases at the end of the month have been released on DVD, and is on ITunes, and Amazon Video. So there's still a good chance it could hit the UK Netflix.

I dunno... It feels like they could have taken a less complicated/convoluted approach. With all the restructuring the way they release things should be as mainstreamed as the company. It should be simple as pie to schedule this stuff but the way things are done here, then there, then over here, then drop this there, it's like you need to be a rocket scientist to make heads or tails of it.

Simultaneous digital releases alongside television airings, everything happening nice and orderly, CN, Netflix, Hulu, etc all airing the episodes together, and once a season is complete, BOOM, the DVD sets from coast to coast on shelves...

Sooooo simple.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Would they REALLY make more money via exclusivity than with variety? Being on multiple services sounds better to me. And more publicity due to that variety.

Granted this is speaking as an, admittedly, butthurt Netflix user, but at the same time, does it not make sense?

I imagine that if they wouldn't make more money by making it exclusive to Hulu they wouldn't have done it. Also exclusivity deals for Hulu or Netflix happen all the time so it probably does usually end up making companies more money if it happens so often.

8 hours ago, TimmiT said:

I imagine that if they wouldn't make more money by making it exclusive to Hulu they wouldn't have done it. Also exclusivity deals for Hulu or Netflix happen all the time so it probably does usually end up making companies more money if it happens so often.

I dunno... I highly doubt exclusivity really means more money in the long run. And even if you do get a boost in profits, again, there's a loss in attention because your product is restricted to one source, and you lose potential elsewhere that could have been worthwhile, if not more-so.

Again, for whatever reason exclusivity is a magic button it seems to SEGA, no matter how bad its hurt them thus far.

3 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

I'd rather have it on Hulu than nowhere at all.

I'd rather not have to settle, again. Options/variety is a necessity today, not an option itself.

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I'd rather not have to settle, again. Options/variety is a necessity today, not an option itself.

Obviously it is an option considering all of the shows that are on Hulu but not on Netflix.

4 hours ago, TimmiT said:

Obviously it is an option considering all of the shows that are on Hulu but not on Netflix.

In Sonic's case I mean. He doesn't exactly have much recognition asides a negative spotlight scenario and limiting access to one of the most positive aspects of the franchise to a single service is ludicrous to me.

With any luck, hopefully this is the end of SEGA's exclusive obsessions, but not holding my breath. If they want to continue restricting Sonic to single audiences, be my guest, but don't expect him to keep the buildings open forever with these current mindsets/methods.

"Hey! Here's Sonic! But, you know, he's ONLY here so... Deal with it." is getting on my nerves. If we can't even have an option as to how/where we watch his shows, yeah, it gives reason and right to be miffed over the exclusive direction again. And I mean the series as a whole, not just by the grace of whatever episodes air on TV.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

"Hey! Here's Sonic! But, you know, he's ONLY here so... Deal with it." is getting on my nerves.

Remember when Ben Afflec was Daredevil?

Gawd if only the TV show hadn't been netflix exclusive. It might have become super popular and drawn a new audience to it. Maybe even spawned a second series and a spinoff or two. If it was everywhere it might have done really well!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Remember when Ben Afflec was Daredevil?

Gawd if only the TV show hadn't been netflix exclusive. It might have become super popular and drawn a new audience to it. Maybe even spawned a second series and a spinoff or two. If it was everywhere it might have done really well!

Netflix - Worldwide Servive

Hulu - US Only

Sonic BOOM already stripped from YouTube, or in the process, leaving the rest of the world in the dark with the series remaining only on TV elsewhere and DVD's in the UK, incomplete DVD's I might add.

While the series will come to whatever streaming services in the rest of the world, somebody already mentioned iTunes or something? It's still the fact that SEGA has "exclusive deal" obsession going on when it could have been a simultaneous streaming service launch. Hulu, Netflix, etc for the sake of the series getting as much recognition as possible in all territories. But instead it's an instantaneous "Exclusive deal you say? Oh, we're in!" moment at SEGA.

Would you rather make an extra buck in a deal, or have your product friggin' everywhere for people with other preferences to see?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

leaving the rest of the world in the dark with the series remaining only on TV elsewhere and DVD's in the UK, incomplete DVD's I might add.

You know you really need to actually read Sonic news sites or even some licensing sites instead of posting alarmist stuff on forums and facebook pages.

I've lost count the number of times I've seen Sega confirm they've sold Boom to another region. They even announced last week it was coming out in several other regions via global license and other license magazines. Only it's done so often that nobody really bothers to comment on it anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

You know you really need to actually read Sonic news sites or even some licensing sites instead of posting alarmist stuff on forums and facebook pages.

I've lost count the number of times I've seen Sega confirm they've sold Boom to another region. They even announced last week it was coming out in several other regions via global license and other license magazines. Only it's done so often that nobody really bothers to comment on it anymore.

Yes, TV broadcast, I'm talking about digital streaming here with the ENTIRE series available at once in a convenient location.

I'm aware of how widespread the series is on television but you cannot watch the whole series at once on TV, unless you were one who was able to record everything on a DVR of some sort.

Or tape... Do people still use those...?

4 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Yes, TV broadcast, I'm talking about digital streaming here with the ENTIRE series available at once in a convenient location.

I'm aware of how widespread the series is on television but you cannot watch the whole series at once on TV, unless you were one who was able to record everything on a DVR of some sort.

Or tape... Do people still use those...?

Believe it or not, I have neighbours who still use a VCR and have no idea what an SD card is supposed to be.

On 5/16/2016 at 4:22 PM, Chris Knopps said:

Not everything is going to have a million options. This has always been the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

First world problems~

Everyone will get their Boom fix in different ways. Simmer down :V

• Thumbs Up 2

And need to live in the US too, because Canada gets screwed over all the time with Wii Minis and stupid stuff like that.

Spoiler

no wonder our commercials are fucked up, we need something to vent off our frustrations 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, sorry about that. But hey, hopefully you guys will get a chance soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just tell me when I can get all the DVDs in Canada and I'll call it a day.

@GeneHF Will the episodes have commercials like the typical Hulu show, or will it be like most other Cartoon Network shows and be ad-free?

On 5/17/2016 at 5:48 PM, Detective Hogfather said:

It should also be noted that Cartoon Network has a licensing agreement with Hulu. That's why most of their shows stream there instead of Netflix. You can complain all you want, but that's just business. Also, being on Hulu means there's a possibly new season 2 episodes will stream next day, but I doubt it since they don't do the same with Steven Universe. 

I gotta say, watching the series in full 1080P on a big screen is both a blessing and a curse. You really get to see an amount of detail you might have missed before. (My cartoon network channel was SD only on my satellite). However, I noticed that the textures seemed flatter and less detailed on later episodes and some things like a cart of food showed at a slant would make the food look like a flat 2-D texture. Also, I don't care for Eggman's fiber texture mustache. It sometimes looks like it's not attached to his face. I would have preferred a simple rubber or clay texture like the citizen's have. There's a also a commercial blackout spot about 8 minutes into each episode, but always right at a perfect spot to have one. I have the commercial free Hulu, so can anyone tell me if they are adding a commercial to the show at that spot in the $9 commercial version?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, SonicEkkusu said:

@GeneHF Will the episodes have commercials like the typical Hulu show, or will it be like most other Cartoon Network shows and be ad-free?

A good question! Actually, they will not! Sonic Boom is classified as a Kids and Family program on Hulu, which means that ads usually will not run along with the program, even on the lower cost subscription.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, GeneHF said:

A good question! Actually, they will not! Sonic Boom is classified as a Kids and Family program on Hulu, which means that ads usually will not run along with the program, even on the lower cost subscription.

Now we need an ad-free Sonic X! (Could that be classified as a kids show? Even the Japanese version?)